It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

PookaMustard: However, if we're gonna talk about her manipulating ability, let's not forget that she took her merry time to attempt it, as well as a failed attempt or two,
Well, since she had the bad luck of trying it on James Bond of all people it's a miracle it worked at all.
phaolo: the villain gets ruined fast.. from a scary powerful foe to a derpy teenager defeated by amateurs.
markrichardb: Seemed fine to me. When the villain removes his mask its supposed to convey something about the character and mess with your expectations. He's a scared shitless kid, a logical starting point on the path to the dark side.
Yes, it would have worked great in a Family Guy comedic episode :P
BoxOfSnoo: Not that easily swayed... he has to keep reminding himself what the dark side offers, and he keeps punching himself in his wounded side to keep the fury up during an intense light saber battle.

Thing is, it's not his opinion. He hasn't seen the movie.
Emob78: Thing is, it IS my opinion. One does not have to witness something to have an opinion about it. Disagree with that? Well, that would be your opinion, wouldn't it?

And if I had seen it, then the accusation of being a money paying hypocrite could be applied. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Fine, then, a pointless, illogical and uninformed opinion. If you insist: the third game on your GoG shelf is boring and stupid, and you suck at it.

Why not just, I dunno, make your OWN judgement about the movie? Don't you think that there's a small chance you might actually enjoy it? If you do, you're gonna feel like an idiot in having to undo the damage you're doing right now.

Lemon_Curry: *I guess I must have missed this bit:

Snoke: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Luke Skywalker never told you what happened to your cookies.

Kylo: He told me enough! He told me you crushed them!

Snoke: No. We have your cookies.

Kylo: No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!

Snoke: Search our pantry, you will know it to be true!

Kylo: [anguished] No! No!
Lemon_Curry:
Well, stealing cookies, that is pretty dark.
Post edited December 23, 2015 by BoxOfSnoo
dtgreene: Well, Rey is in the death machine, and she has the ability to manipulate people, so she could have gotten one of the stormtroopers to disable the shield.
PookaMustard: However, if we're gonna talk about her manipulating ability, let's not forget that she took her merry time to attempt it, as well as a failed attempt or two, so I can say it can be quite random to execute, and its not good when you're in unknown enemy territory that is constantly being watched over by other stormtroopers, although one wonders that if the First Order can make a planetary death machine like that then why didn't they put more effort into installing security cameras or, since its Star Wars, even sensors that tell if the person in question is on the side of the First Order or an intruder.

Also, consider that Ray has no prior knowledge about the plan to destroy the death machine to begin with. Saving her was part of the plan Leia put forth, but utilizing her was not.
I should note that there is a scene where Finn gets a stormtrooper to turn down the shield, albeit via different methods. Hence, I suspect that, had Finn not been there, Rey would have eventually done so.

Rey would have eventually run into Han Solo and learned of the plan to destroy the Death Star from him.

As a side note, even if they had the sensors, I have a feeling that Finn would be recognized as someone on the First Order's side, unless they were able to reprogram the sensors during that time.

GR00T: Saw the movie last night. Thought it was good entertainment and a quite good addition to the Star Wars movies. Hell, I liked it better than everything except Episode IV and V. Honestly, if you start to tear apart the plot points or dig too deep for logic in Star Wars material, especially the movies (any of them), it all falls apart pretty quickly.
The movie actually suffers from a few unrealistic aspects common to science fiction. For instance, if something is moving at the speed of light, you can't see it coming until it actually hits. (Basically, moving at the speed of light is visually indistinguishable from teleportation.) Also, in outer space, any sounds made by explosions or otherwise would not be transmitted through the vacuum, so from a physics standpoint, it doesn't make sense for there to be sound effects in space battles.

Another thing is, how does information travel across the galaxy so fast? (Remember, information only travels at the speed of light, no faster.)

As you said, it falls apart when over-analyzed.

One nice touch, however, is that, near the end of the movie, it gradually gets darker outside (which makes sense because of what's happening to that star).
Post edited December 23, 2015 by dtgreene
dtgreene: I should note that there is a scene where Finn gets a stormtrooper to turn down the shield, albeit via different methods. Hence, I suspect that, had Finn not been there, Rey would have eventually done so.

Rey would have eventually run into Han Solo and learned of the plan to destroy the Death Star from him.

As a side note, even if they had the sensors, I have a feeling that Finn would be recognized as someone on the First Order's side, unless they were able to reprogram the sensors during that time.
Finn probably used the stormtrooper to do the bidding since Finn was a former stormtrooper and thus has an idea on how things work, whereas Ray might just do it the brute-force way. There's a chance that the shields are hidden in someway that Finn had to get a stormtrooper to lead him the way, and as I said, Ray would not have enough time trying to sway someone to her side. I'm still unable to find a situation wherein without Finn, the Resistance is destroyed.

If they were to 'program' the sensors such as you imply, then that's a bad implementation. Since it is implied that stormtroopers are taken from captured hometowns and forcibly turned into such stormtroopers, it would be for the First Order's best interest to make a programmable database for all of them, with the database being extremely customizable and modular for the variety of situations they might meet. At some point in the movie, we see that the First Order already identified Finn as a traitor.
dtgreene: The movie actually suffers from a few unrealistic aspects common to science fiction.
Don't forget, Star Wars isn't really science fiction, it's space opera. Sci-fi is supposed to be mostly explainable (with some suspension of disbelief allowed, I would think) but that's not a restriction on space opera.
dtgreene: The movie actually suffers from a few unrealistic aspects common to science fiction.
BoxOfSnoo: Don't forget, Star Wars isn't really science fiction, it's space opera. Sci-fi is supposed to be mostly explainable (with some suspension of disbelief allowed, I would think) but that's not a restriction on space opera.
Very good.

I think watching Star Wars and looking for technical gaffs is like watching a James Bond movie and looking for them. :P

I adore both of them and part of the reason is that I can appreciate them for what they are: physically fucking ludicrous! :P
I liked it. But I knew the important man was going to die. I think it was foreshadowed well.
ShadowWulfe: I think it was foreshadowed well.
Yeah it was, by the maggot fucking prick in the other SW thread. :P
Post edited December 24, 2015 by tinyE
ShadowWulfe: I think it was foreshadowed well.
tinyE: Yeah it was, by the maggot fucking prick in the other SW thread. :P
Honestly, even without any spoilers it was pretty much obvious, given how the movie copied Episode IV plot point for plot point, and weird as it sounds Han Solo's role was the closest to Obi-Wan we had this time around. I'm not sure if that's what I'd call "forshadowing" though :P
Post edited December 24, 2015 by Breja
tinyE: I think it
Oh, I've avoided most forum threads these days. It looks like that's a good thing to be doing, unfortunately.

I just stick to the release threads, of which I think there need to be more.
Breja: Honestly, even without any spoilers it was pretty much obvious, given how the movie copied Episode IV plot point for plot point, and weird as it sounds Han Solo's role was the closest to Obi-Wan we had this time around. I'm not sure if that's what I'd call "forshadowing" though :P
It was obvious but I'm still pissed at that asshole. There was zero need to do it regardless of how obvious or silly it is.
BoxOfSnoo: Don't forget, Star Wars isn't really science fiction, it's space opera. Sci-fi is supposed to be mostly explainable (with some suspension of disbelief allowed, I would think) but that's not a restriction on space opera.
tinyE: Very good.

I think watching Star Wars and looking for technical gaffs is like watching a James Bond movie and looking for them. :P

I adore both of them and part of the reason is that I can appreciate them for what they are: physically fucking ludicrous! :P
According to TVTropes, there is a puppet alien head near the beginning of the movie; a mistake that they decided to not correct.

Other Star Wars movies had similar issues. Note that the re-releases of the original trilogy corrected these mistakes (but there's no guarantee they didn't introduce new ones!)

I remember reading that one of the Lord of the Rings movies had a visible car in the theatrical version.
tinyE: Very good.

dtgreene: I remember reading that one of the Lord of the Rings movies had a visible car in the theatrical version.
XD There is stuff like that all the time, mistakes, and I love watching for them, but I was thinking more of the the stuff they actually meant to have in the movie that is totally impossible, case in point with Episode VII, the number of times that times stands still. :P Another movie I recently watched that is loaded with them, the original Point Break, You can't jump out of a plane without a parachute,catch up to a guy who jumped before you, get hold of him, and then pull the ripcord before both of you go splat. XD It's fun as hell, and it's supposed to be in the movie. It's also totally impossible.
Post edited December 24, 2015 by tinyE
Breja: Honestly, even without any spoilers it was pretty much obvious, given how the movie copied Episode IV plot point for plot point, and weird as it sounds Han Solo's role was the closest to Obi-Wan we had this time around. I'm not sure if that's what I'd call "forshadowing" though :P
You keep saying that, I will keep saying the opposite. This, despite some parallels, had a very different plot from Ep 4. Maybe it will become more obvious when the next movie comes out.

And Han = Obi-Wan thing is totally ridiculous. Was Han a mysterious, yet wise mentor? Was he a link to discovering someone's past, like Rey or Finn? (given the current known facts in the movie, no speculation now). Was he kinda secretive, keeping stuff from the other characters "for their own good"? What is your basis for this, other than the fact that they were both old, and both killed by the main villain in the movie?

I think Han was 100 times more like Luke than Obi-Wan, if you must compare.

But really, Han was down to his original roots, he made the full circle back to the beginning of Ep IV. I was actually kinda disappointed about that. I mean over the original series, he fell in love with Leia, they had at least one kid, some tragedy in their life, and all of a sudden by now there's nothing between them. No bitterness, no sadness, anger, nothing, they were strangers. He showed a little emotion when facing Ben, but not enough, IMO.