It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wake up - get both of his terrific adventures 90% off!

<span class="bold">Alan Wake</span>'s desperate search for his missing wife and <span class="bold">Alan Wake's American Nightmare</span> quickly became two of our all time favorite horror stories. Now Alan needs to step away, perhaps curl up someplace nice with one of his hit books, until it's time for him to come back. Due to licensing issues with the game's music, on Monday 17:00 PM UTC the original Alan Wake will be removed from sale everywhere. American Nightmare is NOT affected by this in any way.
If you haven't tried his fascinating action/adventures yet, this is the perfect opportunity to catch up, because for the next 48 hours both games are 90% off!

So let us now point our flashlights skywards as an au revoir to our favorite author and hope that someday we'll meet again.

The 90% discount on both <span class="bold">Alan Wake</span> and <span class="bold">Alan Wake's American Nightmare</span> lasts until May 15th, 17:00 PM UTC.
Alan Wake will not be available for purchase after that time but all owners of the game will still have access to it as normal.
HypersomniacLive: I think you misunderstood. They're referring to GOG's block on buying more than one gift copy of the same title within 24hrs.
Yeah, that's the kind of stupid thing I'm used to them doing.

DRM doesn't stop pirates but does affect genuine customers so you shouldn't worry about it, says GOG, but purchasing limits does stop key resellers and doesn't hurt genuine customers. Eyup! Totally-consistent-logic-guiz.

Even if you wanted to implement it.. there should be a whitelist for known "good" buyers.

HypersomniacLive: *waves*

Hope you're doing well.
*waves* I am, thanks, and I hope you are as well?
MaxFulvus: I seriously don't know what to do ! I wanted to grab Alan Wake before the end, but I hesitate know.

I have a weird/hate relationship with Alan Wake, tbh.

I discovered Alan Wake the first time on Xbox 360 with a friend. I made the mistake to start the game as a speedrun, because I had only an afternoon to play it. This game is focus on its atmosphere and its story, and the best way to waste them is to rush. I ran without attention to details (the TV shows, the music...).
The result is that I found the game boring (for maybe 2-3 hours of gameplay) and I cursed the devs to spend their time on this game instead of Max Payne 3.

It was a stupid behaviour and I never repeated it.

I have American Nightmare from a GOG freebie but never played it because I wanted to play the franchise in chronological order.

Now, should I give it a second chance to Alan Wake before he vanishes in the limbs ?
If you play it through, maximum one episode per play session, and appreciate the atmosphere and where the story takes you, I think you'll find it a rewarding experience. The only part I dislike is Episode 7, which is more action than anything else. This game goes places and does some very cool things along the way.
Farewell Alan Wake. A true gem of a game!
Ah well, I wish I could buy you(paypal issues dammit!)
Messana: gog version or steam version?

Oh man....
sephiroth091: gog wise being drm free, so you can backup your files for later use.
steam wise acc tied so if anything ever happens to your acc and you lose access or dont have the internet for an time you sadly will be unable to download and play unless already installed.
pros and cons with everything, though gogs great for casual gaming, or just having backups for times your usual gaming sources are inaccessable. <3
You can also lose access to your GOG account. A funny fact people ignore. "oh but I can put it on a hard drive" yes you can, but lose that file and what then?!
Always sad to see a game disappearing from sale. But thanks for the heads up and the nice farewell discount!
xyem: Yeah, that's the kind of stupid thing I'm used to them doing.

DRM doesn't stop pirates but does affect genuine customers so you shouldn't worry about it, says GOG, but purchasing limits does stop key resellers and doesn't hurt genuine customers. Eyup! Totally-consistent-logic-guiz.

Even if you wanted to implement it.. there should be a whitelist for known "good" buyers. [...]
Yes, I guess that GOG doesn't think that one would spend their money on gifting more than one person. Because this has never ever happened before here.

And unless they've changed it recently, you're presented with a generic message as if the transaction fails due to some problem at your end, telling you to contact your bank/card issuer.

A whitelist of known "good" buyers? As in the system recognising you and letting you to buy a second copy? Sorry, I can see so many things going wrong; this is GOG we're talking about.

xyem: [...] *waves* I am, thanks, and I hope you are as well?
Asides from a recent hand injury, I'm doing ok.
amrit9037: I wish I could get them now.
The Alan Wake games are regionally locked? Where do you cannot get them and what's the reason?
The fact that it get's pulled because of the music makes it especially sour that we never got the OST here. First time I consider double dipping in the gog->steam direction :/
Eitot: Anyone have experience with running this using Wine on Linux/macOS?
American Nightmare works quite well with Wine on Linux. As far as I remember only the cut scenes did not have sound. When the original Alan Wake uses the same engine chances are good that it also works.
Post edited May 14, 2017 by eiii
sephiroth091: gog wise being drm free, so you can backup your files for later use.
steam wise acc tied so if anything ever happens to your acc and you lose access or dont have the internet for an time you sadly will be unable to download and play unless already installed.
pros and cons with everything, though gogs great for casual gaming, or just having backups for times your usual gaming sources are inaccessable. <3
darthspudius: You can also lose access to your GOG account. A funny fact people ignore. "oh but I can put it on a hard drive" yes you can, but lose that file and what then?!
hmm but whats the chances of losing your gog acc, steam, origin, uplay, and whatever else all at once?
unless your not careful that is like some are not protecting there passwords, using short passwords, easy to guess ones.
or clicking obvious scam phisher links.
as for HD failure thats still an rare thing to happen since most of them tend to last many years.
though ill admit that is very true as we live in a world of infinite possibility so it could happen.
also there is another option you may have forgot of, CD backups.
legally you can make an CD backup, you just cant distribute them, so personal use only.
Same reason Starr Mazer got yanked over on Steam, before I even got a chance to buy it. Anyway. Snagged Alan Wake. At $3, how could I not?
I'm sad to see it go, and even sadder that it won't be sold by the time I can afford even the very cheap sale price. But thank you to GOG for giving people one last chance to get it for the forseeable future.
Farewell to another good game. Damn...
mattymuc: Best game soundtrack ever!
Nah, for me Gothic 3 wins that award :P
MaxFulvus: Now, should I give it a second chance to Alan Wake before he vanishes in the limbs ?
I would absolutely recommend giving it another chance. I'll admit I haven't completed American Nightmare, but the original Alan Wake remains one of my fondest memories from the Xbox 360 era. I believe I ended up getting it on console first, but I played it start to finish on the PC. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the extra bits of story and backstory added by things like the TV episodes, and the format. Personally, the concert scene remains one of my favorite gaming moments to this day.