It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wake up - get both of his terrific adventures 90% off!

<span class="bold">Alan Wake</span>'s desperate search for his missing wife and <span class="bold">Alan Wake's American Nightmare</span> quickly became two of our all time favorite horror stories. Now Alan needs to step away, perhaps curl up someplace nice with one of his hit books, until it's time for him to come back. Due to licensing issues with the game's music, on Monday 17:00 PM UTC the original Alan Wake will be removed from sale everywhere. American Nightmare is NOT affected by this in any way.
If you haven't tried his fascinating action/adventures yet, this is the perfect opportunity to catch up, because for the next 48 hours both games are 90% off!

So let us now point our flashlights skywards as an au revoir to our favorite author and hope that someday we'll meet again.

The 90% discount on both <span class="bold">Alan Wake</span> and <span class="bold">Alan Wake's American Nightmare</span> lasts until May 15th, 17:00 PM UTC.
Alan Wake will not be available for purchase after that time but all owners of the game will still have access to it as normal.
op2017si: Me too, but I'm not complaining like you guys do.
I'm not complaining, just responding to him.
Or her.
Or it.
So sad to see the game pulled extremely quick. One weekend is not enough. A lot of people will miss the news. I only have American Nightmare unfortunately. Oh well... I hope Remedy can relicense the music so I can get the game one day.

Edit: A very generous person sent me a code. You are a legend!
Post edited May 15, 2017 by sztihamer
sztihamer: So sad to see the game pulled extremely quick. One weekend is not enough. A lot of people will miss the news. I only have American Nightmare unfortunately. Oh well... I hope Remedy can relicense the music so I can get the game one day.
Eh? Its still on sale with -90%. Should be till tomorrow. So better make that "one day" now; if & when it gets back it wont be at this price and maybe even lacks some stuff.
high rated
the whole copyright madness in all its glory !
music licensing different per territory/country basis, also in limited time, and such...
and of course, the old rigid music industry can't get used to how digital stuff ever works or what it implies...

honestly, devs, this is a warning here: dont put licensed music in your game,put music on which you hold the rights all by yourself and that is tied to the game ip itself !
knowing how copyright works in usa/anglo saxon world (compared to my country), you could even commission known bands/artists for making titles exclusive for your game and making them forfeit parts of their right on it, and maybe being merciful and allowing them to use said titles waaaaay later after game sold in their own songs directories and in live tours...

copyright is completely nuts and so far, games are always on the wrong side of the stick

at least we dont have a sneaky 24h-to-"oh, you had 2 hours to buy it now it's gone" catalog removal, as some games recently removed had instead
here we have a front page news and 48h with even a discount, nearly an improvement compared to the last few removals i witnessed lately (strealthy thread buried in forum, posted barely 12h-24h from removal, without discount)

Alan Wake was a rather good and underrated/underlooked game, it was rather shunned at its release; afaic i enjoyed it much on my x360 when it came out, and i got it on drm free both on humble and here (btw, extras on humble side were better: more videos, and such.... extras on gog side were not as many as hb)
"Alan Wake" was the first game I ever bought from gog.com - ah, the memories ...
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Geddes17
Messana: gog version or steam version?

Oh man....
In the case of Alan Wake, I'd suggest the Humble Store ("Alan Wake Franchise"). You'll get both the Steam keys AND the DRM-free versions for both games, PLUS a ton of extras (more than the ones you'd get by just buying the Steam OR the GOG version. In fact, you get all the extras from Steam & GOG combined except for 1 music video, I think).
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Rise-T
Geddes17: "Alan Wake" was the first game I ever bought from gog.com - ah, the memories ...
That's still better than say that Alan Wake is The Last game ever I will buy on GoG :)
I just wanted to echo what some others are saying. I first encountered the vagaries of music licensing at the tender age of 11. A sheet of some some song (not well known at all, not very spectacular), which had been handed out in music classes. A year or so later, being asked to give it back, because "the composer wanted to use it for something else".

Seriously, "rights holders", if your intention is to show the next generation how fucked up IP law is, just keep on doing this sort of thing. The law will sort itself out eventually.
btw, for those who would rather have the collector edition extras, they are in fact included in the "alan wake" franchise pack on humble store, and it comes DRM free as well, for 3.69€

in different times, i wouldnt even have mentioned it but this past week, my "customer loyalty" to GOG had been quite hammered and shattered.

plus: i dont know/dont think there is a purchase limit there, for gift links. remember though that if you want to gift a drm free copy, you have to make the order a "gift order" and never clailm the page yourself :)
high rated
So, let me get this straight.

For Alan Wake + American Nightmare

HumbleStore
Price: 3,69€
- DRM-free installers (without client)
- Steam keys
- 10% go to charity
- collector edition extras (additional videos and soundtrack)

GOG
Price: 3,88€
- DRM-free installers ... for now
- no additional keys
- no charity
- no soundtrack

Erm... fail?
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: So, let me get this straight.

HumbleStore
- Steamkeys
- 10% go to charity
You factually get more extras than the ones contained in the Collector Edition. They don't mention it on their site, but I've tried it personally [edit: I'm refering to Humble).
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Rise-T

HumbleStore
- Steamkeys
- 10% go to charity
Rise-T: You factually get more extras than the ones contained in the Collector Edition. They don't mention it on their site, but I've tried it personally.
No soundtrack though, which in general is usually the only valuable extra.

Edit: Thought he was talking about GOG.

HumbleStore
- Steamkeys
- 10% go to charity

GOG
Price: 3,88€
- DRM-free installers ... for now
- no additional keys
- no charity
- no soundtrack

Erm... fail?
well, it all depends on whichever value you put in your loyalty to a "trustworthy" store :)

though i'd like to temper your pros/con a bit by reminding you how awful the humble customer/tech support is.
but i'm not naive either, and i can expect gog support will go the exact same path soon, at least when it come to non galaxy users and offline installers...

and it also depends on how a game was still bugged and/or left abandoned by devs or rather polished enough between its release and current days (in case of alan wake, i replayed it as drm free a couple of years ago and had no particular problem afaic)

so i'd say this last "con" point may not be very relevant, but it had to be mentioned

there was a time when i'd have said "well, 20 cents higher aint a problem, as i prefer focusing on my oldest/favorite store"
nowadays, i end to the point that even if the game was higher price (drm free, i mean) elsewhere than on gog, i wouldnt even bother keeping most of my drm-free games gathered under my main gog account library at all
and THAT, well... it would take hell of a lot of effort to change my mind about it anymore now.
Rise-T: You factually get more extras than the ones contained in the Collector Edition. They don't mention it on their site, but I've tried it personally.
Klumpen0815: No soundtrack though.
are you sure of that ?

because i have soundtrack in my humble library, but i got my alan wake from a weekly bundle, i admit.
i wont redeem a duplicate just to check if it gives the soundtrack as well (but even without soundtrack, the extras you get are still superior to the gog edition's extras nonetheless)
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Djaron
Klumpen0815: No soundtrack though, which in general is usually the only valuable extra.
I'm talking about Humble. And Humble definitely contains the soundtrack for both games; mp3s for both, additionally FLAC for Alan Wake.
Djaron: though i'd like to temper your pros/con a bit by reminding you how awful the humble customer/tech support is.
but i'm not naive either, and i can expect gog support will go the exact same path soon, at least when it come to non galaxy users and offline installers...
The only contact I had with Humble support was when they sold a mobile bundle that was bound to their own client and I requested a refund after noticing, that I suddenly can't download the .apks as usual.
They refunded it and never pulled this stunt twice since the later mobile bundles didn't have that, so they actually listened to feedback.

Djaron: well, it all depends on whichever value you put in your loyalty to a "trustworthy" store :)
[...]
there was a time when i'd have said "well, 20 cents higher aint a problem, as i prefer focusing on my oldest/favorite store"
nowadays, i end to the point that even if the game was higher price (drm free, i mean) elsewhere than on gog, i wouldnt even bother keeping most of my drm-free games gathered under my main gog account library at all
and THAT, well... it would take hell of a lot of effort to change my mind about it anymore now.
GOG has been running on loyalty and good will for too long as it seems.

Klumpen0815: No soundtrack though, which in general is usually the only valuable extra.
Rise-T: I'm talking about Humble.
I wasn't aware of that since it wasn't evident, thought you were talking about GOG.