It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

russellskanne: And we have another cause of death:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/preload_cyberpunk_2077_today_cfffe/post117

It is amazing with what carelessness GOG allows the foundation of his existence to decay.
Truly astonishing.
timppu: While I am disappointed CDPR would choose to keep some (cosmetic?) DLC behind the online account and client, I am still somewhat hopeful that this will be available later with offline installers as well. Eventually at least when the CP2077 GOTY will be released (hopefully freely available to those who have bought the base game + DLCs before, similarly how we obtained The Witcher 3 GOTY "for free"), and I expect the GOTY version will include these preorder bonuses as well.

If not, then shame on CDPR and GOG. I guess I can live without the cosmetic DLC, but still disappointing.
Other games that have had costumes behind online activation have had them unlocked by other means, The Batman Arkham games have locked costumes that modders have unlocked so I wouldn't be surprised that modders can do the same here. Hell modders have been able to add all new wardrobes to some games so if they did that with Cyberpunk the flood gates would be open.
wolfsite: Other games that have had costumes behind online activation have had them unlocked by other means, The Batman Arkham games have locked costumes that modders have unlocked so I wouldn't be surprised that modders can do the same here. Hell modders have been able to add all new wardrobes to some games so if they did that with Cyberpunk the flood gates would be open.
Yeah I was just editing my comment about something similar. Like with some games you get that "online stuff" by editing your save game file etc.

Anyway, naturally we shouldn't need to do stuff like that ourselves. they should be part of the offline installers.
rjbuffchix: Frankly if a business has data available to it such as user forums, it would be embarrassing not to monitor it for feedback...positive and negative.
toxicTom: Well maybe they do...

There are tons of threads and posts about "DRM-free games on Steam and EGS, you only need the client once to download them, then jump through some hoops and dance naked in the moonlight, et voila...". Maybe GOG listened...
Same for the DRM issues with No Mans Sky..."you mean it has online activation required at least once to get some extra content? Great idea!".

toxicTom: That said, I also think this rewards-thing, as shitty a move as it is from GOG/CDPR, borders on hysteria. Come on, it's about some silly t-shirts in a first person game. People "going back to Steam" (which has NO offline installers at all) over this is kindergarten behaviour.
I hope it's just bluster to point out that GOG has abandoned its USP, because yes that is misguided. There aren't many viable alternatives but what GOG may be missing is that some of us will not be forced into Galaxy just like we will not be forced into stream-only or whatever else. Quitting all buying and playing what we already have is an option!

toxicTom: Also it's a matter of perspective: One can say "CP2077 is not 100% DRM-free", but one can also say "CP2077 is 100% DRM-free, but the additional DRM-free-Revolution-t-shirt is DRM'd".
Depends on how you're defining content and complete game, but this is a fair point. Could easily phrase things a different way though: not all of the digital content for CP2077 is DRM-free.
wolfsite: Other games that have had costumes behind online activation have had them unlocked by other means, The Batman Arkham games have locked costumes that modders have unlocked so I wouldn't be surprised that modders can do the same here. Hell modders have been able to add all new wardrobes to some games so if they did that with Cyberpunk the flood gates would be open.
timppu: Yeah I was just editing my comment about something similar. Like with some games you get that "online stuff" by editing your save game file etc.

Anyway, naturally we shouldn't need to do stuff like that ourselves. they should be part of the offline installers.
I do find it hilarious that one of the items is a GOG Galaxy T-Shirt, so people are essentially complaining that they can't wear a shirt that promotes a client they don't want to use.
wolfsite: I do find it hilarious that one of the items is a GOG Galaxy T-Shirt, so people are essentially complaining that they can't wear a shirt that promotes a client they don't want to use.
I'm not sure I've caught up that well with the individual rewards since it's more about the general ideas, but is this shirt the same one that promotes a "DRM-free revolution" while being locked behind a DRM?
wolfsite: I do find it hilarious that one of the items is a GOG Galaxy T-Shirt, so people are essentially complaining that they can't wear a shirt that promotes a client they don't want to use.
rjbuffchix: I'm not sure I've caught up that well with the individual rewards since it's more about the general ideas, but is this shirt the same one that promotes a "DRM-free revolution" while being locked behind a DRM?
I don't think so, the three pieces of clothing that are offered with Galaxy log in are the Galaxy T-shirt, and two pieces of clothing with the Witcher wolf logo on them. Essentially you get to advertise GOG and CDPR products in game, don't see a reason to get them myself so I have no problem passing them up.

I think people are using the DRM-Revolution thing to poke fun at the issue, as I said I don't see myself actually using the content and it doesn't add any benefits or lock and quests so it's not an issue for me personally.
low rated
rjbuffchix: I'm not sure I've caught up that well with the individual rewards since it's more about the general ideas, but is this shirt the same one that promotes a "DRM-free revolution" while being locked behind a DRM?
wolfsite: I don't think so, the three pieces of clothing that are offered with Galaxy log in are the Galaxy T-shirt, and two pieces of clothing with the Witcher wolf logo on them. Essentially you get to advertise GOG and CDPR products in game, don't see a reason to get them myself so I have no problem passing them up.

I think people are using the DRM-Revolution thing to poke fun at the issue, as I said I don't see myself actually using the content and it doesn't add any benefits or lock and quests so it's not an issue for me personally.
The log-in can hardly be considered DRM. The only reason I can think of why they protected those files is to avoid someone sharing them online. I bet you those would be out faster that you are able to count to 1 otherwise. I bet with all of you come 10th they will remove the log-in altogether making the bloody goodies freely available as it should be! You wait and see! :-)
high rated
toxicTom: one can also say "CP2077 is 100% DRM-free, but the additional DRM-free-Revolution-t-shirt is DRM'd".
I like that!
This game is fully DRM-free!*
Small print:
* Excluding all the parts that have DRM
high rated
Mori_Yuki: The log-in can hardly be considered DRM.
Of course its DRM...
Mori_Yuki: The only reason I can think of why they protected those files is to avoid someone sharing them online.
Restricting access ("protected") is (supposedly) the point of DRM. So if thats really why they are doing it then they intentionally use DRM.
low rated
Zrevnur: Of course its DRM...
Mori_Yuki: The only reason I can think of why they protected those files is to avoid someone sharing them online.
Zrevnur: Restricting access ("protected") is (supposedly) the point of DRM. So if thats really why they are doing it then they intentionally use DRM.
Even so what's the big problem with that? Why make such a big fuzz about it? This isn't the first sign GOG will fall to the dark side with Darth "Rights Management" Vadder on the helm and the end of all freedom enjoying games without the far Galaxy. ;-)
high rated

Restricting access ("protected") is (supposedly) the point of DRM. So if thats really why they are doing it then they intentionally use DRM.
Mori_Yuki: Even so what's the big problem with that? Why make such a big fuzz about it?
Why are you moving the goalposts? Your original point was that
Whether it's a "big problem" or not is a different story, but I don't see how one can deny it is a form of DRM.
high rated

Mori_Yuki: Even so what's the big problem with that? Why make such a big fuzz about it? This isn't the first sign GOG will fall to the dark side
You're right. It isn't the first sign. There were others before that. It's just the confirmation that partial DRM is the path GOG wants to go (for now) and that all the pessimists who predicted that GOG wants to make Galaxy mandatory were right. It's another step in the direction GOG has been taking for some years. A very decided step too, since it isn't partial DRM that some dev accidentally left in a game that is released here. It is intentional DRM on a DLC for their own new flagship game.

It doesn't matter that these Rewards are cosmetic only. It is intentional DRM on their own single-player game. So far the facts.
And now the speculation: probably it is a test to see how big the outcry is before DRM-ed DLCs become the norm. And a few years later, GOG will be 'DRM-agnostic' with Galaxy as mandatory client.
Mori_Yuki: Even so what's the big problem with that? Why make such a big fuzz about it?
rjbuffchix: Why are you moving the goalposts? Your original point was that
rjbuffchix: Whether it's a "big problem" or not is a different story, but I don't see how one can deny it is a form of DRM.
You said it at least as good as I would have said it if GOG forum would have let me.
I don't know your definition for DRM, but mine basically is "can I install and play this game 10-20 years from now, when CDPR and GOG don't exist anymore?".

If some (single-player) content requires me to connect to some GOG or CDPR server to unlock the content so that I can play it, then I consider it to be behind DRM. After all, if those GOG/CDPR servers don't exist anymore, then I am locked out of that content, right?

Maybe there are workarounds to that like that I can install the game NOW with Galaxy and go online with it to unlock that content, and then I zip and archive my installed game (where that content is unlocked). If I can later unzip that archive and play it with that content, without having to validate it online (with those servers that don't exist anymore), then I guess it can be considered DRM-free.

However, such setup would still be far more inconvenient for me to use, since I'd have to prepare it beforehand (unlock the content by running the game once with Galaxy, and THEN zip it), instead of simply downloading an offline installer that already includes that content, unlocked.

Sure such workarounds are doable with one or few games, but let's say you have e.g. 600 GOG games that required the same? Would you install, run and zip them one by one, just so that you can make them DRM-free?

Plus, this would be against the claim that the Galaxy client is optional.

Well, isn't that the exact purpose of DRM? :)
Post edited December 08, 2020 by timppu
low rated
rjbuffchix: Why are you moving the goalposts? Your original point was that
rjbuffchix: Whether it's a "big problem" or not is a different story, but I don't see how one can deny it is a form of DRM.
Amazing. So logging in to GOG obviously with an internet connection and an account for downloading an offline installer at least oncea year is some sort of DRM?

Should it mean that the only DRM free game version would be an old CD with the CDCheck disabled?, unless you consider the CD Hardware some sort of DRM

My dog is DRM. It ate my CD