It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The sequel to the 2012 award-winning strategy game has arrived. XCOM 2 is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a special 75% discount lasting until 30th March 2020, 1 PM UTC. Earth is under alien rule. Facing almost impossible odds you must rebuild XCOM and ignite a global resistance to reclaim our world and save humanity.

Apart form the base game, also XCOM 2's DLCs receive special discounts until 30th March 2020, 1 PM UTC. During that time, if you buy all the XCOM 2 titles, you will receive an additional 51% discount on the whole bundle.
low rated
rojimboo: Wait. Why is the native Linux version missing??
DadJoke007: Firaxis is the developer of the Windows version, Feral Interactive is behind the Mac and Linux ports. Licensing issues, same with the predecessor.

It's too bad, would buy them again here in a heartbeat if they had native support for Linux here as well.
I'm aware of that and I loled a bit while reading your message (especially the preedited one) because that's basically what I wrote.
It's really bad that they STILL don't want to release their ports. It really sucks because in a situation like this it's either you use translation layers and GOG version or you stick to the steam version which just has native port :/

rojimboo: And I also know for a fact XCOM 2 doesn't run under proton on Steam, if you force Steam Play compatibility. Tried it not too long ago, when I migrated to Linux and fiddled about with my fav games. This probably means it doesn't run under Wine.

This was not an issue, as people had the native port of course. Something that can't be said here...

Maybe the GOG DRM-Free non-steam-workshop version will be ok under Wine?
GENERALLY steamworks works well on wine. Also just because it works or doesn't for you it does not mean it's like that for others.
You may have not fiddled enough (common occurence and a major percentage of wine and protondb reports are "garbage" or problems because people didn't dig deep enough).
Also if it doesn't work on proton then consider trying on lutris and dxvk DIRECTLY as they are more bleeding edge whereas proton is more stable and staggered (thus lacking a lot of bleeding edge patches) or use the beta version you know.

MrMuggles: Not playable with wine for me. Linux users are out of luck unfortunately
BitMaster_1980: It seems to work pretty well on my end.
rojimboo: You can confirm the GOG version works through Wine on Linux?
BitMaster_1980: I did not play exhaustively because the download took a while but it started up, I got the menu, played the tutorial mission, the story mission thingie afterwards and entered a "random" mission. Everything worked reasonably well
If it works for you please consider writing detailed report to help others (please consider making dedicated thread on GOG xcom 2 forum for clarity and ease of accesibility as well as lack of bload in THIS thread, just make it DISCUSSION and NOT question and title it something like "running under linux" or something like that).
If you choose to do so please include:
system version, kernel version, distribution, mesa version. vulkan version, dxvk version, what overrides you might have made (like with winetricks or lutris options), do you use non standard screen resolutions, and other things.
The more details you give the more likely it is to help others.

BitMaster_1980: Otherwise, it's minimal effort setup. Installed Lutris, then Galaxy through Lutris, after that installed everything though Galaxy. Nearly everything I tried (and all of which I really care about) just worked. Had to disable esync though because Grim Dawn CTDs after a while with that enabled and several things appeared to work better after I enabled the virtual desktop.
It's generally not a good idea to put more than one game on same wine prefix. Because if you do so you lack control and are limiting your possibilities.
If you separate games in different prefixes then you can make per game overrides like esync / async / fsyncs / CSMT / dxvk vs gallium etc.
And since this game has native port then you are not gonna see it on protondb (nor winehq bacause they are offensive towards reports including dxvk) so you are in pretty unfortunate position in terms of finding reports of working dxvk setups for games that have native ports outside of gog.

BitMaster_1980: actually, there was one thing that slowed me down for a moment: the default Kubuntu setup did not include the 32bit drivers but the resulting errors were not helpful. After some minor digging I found this though, and a lot of games I had problems before started working.
Yeah I guess since (as you said) you are new to this (namely linux gaming and I guess daily usage?) you might have otherlooked it or haven't heard about it at all. Well ubuntu (and thus kubuntu as it's directly based on the former) basically dropped 32 bit libs some time ago. That was a massive news when it happened and it did stir community a lot (actually community was really angry and that is an understatement). And it doesn't affect only games you know. If you use printers you may encounter unfortunate situations in regards to this (some printer drivers are only 32 bit or rely on such libs).
Just ALWAYS make sure you have ALL dependencies installed ;) Good luck ;)

(Luke)
Been waiting for this!
tremere110: Been waiting for this!
You and me both.
i_hope_you_rot: Tell me , why is this game worth the purchase instead of X-Com: UFO Defense ?
- Better Graphics (Obvious)
- Better Sound (XCom 2: WOTC adds a remix of the X-Com: Ufo Defense Soundtrack that is kickass)
- Streamlined UI that doesn't give you a migraine
- Multiplayer. Sadly, rather dead and Take2 C&D'd the developers of Tactical Coop which was a ton of fun but with friends the PvP is great actually.
- WotC added new gametypes like the Challenge Mode that is all about your tactical skills (with online leaderboards to compare how good you are)
The biggest reasons: MODS
Long War 2 may very well be the greatest singleplayer mod ever created. It turns the game inside out and adds so much stuff that it nearly feels like a completely new game by changing the entire approach (you really start as some ill-equiped noob-like resistance movement)
And all the other mods. From the hilarious voice packs (everything from TV/Movies/Video Games imaginable) to drastic game changing stuff like the awesome MOCX-Initiviative mods, to new enemies, new weapons, new levels and gameplay changing stuff or mods that add QoL things ("Evac All" is basically mandatory) there is so much that you never get tired of the game.
There are some really insane enemy types that challenge you tremendously, like the Omega Berserker, the Armored PSI Viper and other opponents, so even if the base game might feel easy (altough it really isn't, hardest difficulty is very challenging), you can just ramp up the difficulty even more to levels were even X-Com: Terror from the Deep is a walk in the park with god mode enabled in comparison.

I can't really go back to the old X-Com games anymore after experience this one with all the mods and possibilities, it just feels better and is a ton more fun in every way imaginable.
low rated
rojimboo: And I also know for a fact XCOM 2 doesn't run under proton on Steam, if you force Steam Play compatibility. Tried it not too long ago, when I migrated to Linux and fiddled about with my fav games. This probably means it doesn't run under Wine.

This was not an issue, as people had the native port of course. Something that can't be said here...

Maybe the GOG DRM-Free non-steam-workshop version will be ok under Wine?
B1tF1ghter: GENERALLY steamworks works well on wine. Also just because it works or doesn't for you it does not mean it's like that for others.
True, but nobody seemingly had managed it, and reported about it on the interwebz. Protondb had all borked reports (appearing on the site despite it being native), steam forums said the same thing, and winehq was useless as always etc. Not one single report of success, from what I remember.
B1tF1ghter: You may have not fiddled enough (common occurence and a major percentage of wine and protondb reports are "garbage" or problems because people didn't dig deep enough).
That may be true - I didn't really care about it so much because the native port by Feral was so good and available.
B1tF1ghter: Also if it doesn't work on proton then consider trying on lutris and dxvk DIRECTLY as they are more bleeding edge whereas proton is more stable and staggered (thus lacking a lot of bleeding edge patches) or use the beta version you know.
It's certainly possible Proton was missing some wine fixes and patches, and that's why XCOM2 couldn't launch
Though, I remember trying an up-to-date wine-staging on steam and then trying to launch xcom2, for the hell of it. And it didn't work, with the error message being really generic and unuseful. I dropped it there because like I said, the native port was good and available. Maybe with some tinkering something could have happened, but it's also possible, people couldn't get it running because it was not possible at the time.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call lutris 'bleeding edge' - it doesn't have fsync enabled wine versions for example, and they lag the wine-staging version a bit always, with their own 'lutris' wine 'runners' (which are actually just a version of Tk-Glitch's wine-staging package builds). DXVK can be bleeding edge if you patch it with for example the ASYNC patch when building it. Otherwise, Proton has already caught up with the latest version.

Anyhoo, the GOG version does work under Wine, so that's good news at least. I got it running really smooth, as well. Please consider contributing tips and tricks for the game in my thread over at XCOM2 forums.

https://www.gog.com/forum/xcom_2/xcom_2_for_linux_tips_and_tricks
low rated
BitMaster_1980: Otherwise, it's minimal effort setup. Installed Lutris, then Galaxy through Lutris, after that installed everything though Galaxy. Nearly everything I tried (and all of which I really care about) just worked. Had to disable esync though because Grim Dawn CTDs after a while with that enabled and several things appeared to work better after I enabled the virtual desktop.
B1tF1ghter: It's generally not a good idea to put more than one game on same wine prefix. Because if you do so you lack control and are limiting your possibilities.
If you separate games in different prefixes then you can make per game overrides like esync / async / fsyncs / CSMT / dxvk vs gallium etc.
And since this game has native port then you are not gonna see it on protondb (nor winehq bacause they are offensive towards reports including dxvk) so you are in pretty unfortunate position in terms of finding reports of working dxvk setups for games that have native ports outside of gog.
When I considered my complete move over to Linux after Windows 7 fell out of support, my requirement was a doable, convenient gaming solution. That everything relevant non-gaming will work fine on Linux was not a question that needed asking.
Part of "convenient" however, is Galaxy (or 3rd party Galaxy-like functionality). I have the setups for everything important in cold storage but while civilization has not yet collapsed, just clicking "Install" is convenient. So are automatic updates and cloud saves.
Sure, I could have multiple prefixes with each a Galaxy in it but as it turns out with very little work you get a single prefix that just works for everything I'm interested in. And considering the leaps and bounds Wine and the related ecosystem has made recently, I'm currently confident that updates in that regard will come quicker than the changing of my tastes.

I don't mind tinkering. I'm a software developer after all. My games however, I just want to work.
low rated
Gotta say this is one game I'm not sad is on Linux here on account of the fucking cheating wallhacking AI.
low rated
SarahGabriella: You look at individual items, look at the bundle. Its a 81% discount for all items together and at 23 euro.
I saw no Bundle on sale when I was looking, and that's exactly what I was looking for, and I still don't.
Just looked again
I see all the individual Items, being sold, but no bundle.
Show me a link to this Bundle, you can't.
It doesn't exist, there is no Complete/Definitive/GOTY Edition on sale

So that means it's a "secret bundle", you have to add all the individual Items to your cart to even see the "Bundle" offer.
Then without, any indication it exists, the individual prices, get lowered, and a new bundle price is shown..

My point still stands then, Take 2 is deliberately, selling the Items as individual packages.
Makes me wonder why?

People like me, that will not buy games with multiple DLC, when they are old, may ignore the entire product.
How many others add just one, or two items, and hit their funding limit, and settles for buying just them.

Makes me wonder how many other publishers have lost my custom, that they would otherwise have got.
I generally only add things to my cart, if I'm intending to pay the displayed price,
I DO NOT, add game+All DLCs to my cart to look for hidden bundling deals, nor will I do so in the future.

The publisher's that do this, will lose my business instead.
If they try underhand tactics to make more money from me, they will lose the entire sale.

If a publisher wants me to buy all their DLC (Over a year after the last DLC released), they must sell it on the store page as a complete Bundle. Not hide it away in the Cart,.

I already have All these on Steam, but would be happy to pay the £17.85, bundle price, if sold as the Complete Edition on the Store Page, as a new buyer, (and might even go for it an existing owner, for a good game).

Instead, by trying to get more money, by hiding the bundle in the cart, and only showing it, if you add everything, they have lost my business, by using shady tactics to get partial sales, instead of openly selling the complete edition.
Post edited March 18, 2020 by UhuruNUru
UhuruNUru: snip
http://www.gog.com/promo/xcom2
B1tF1ghter: ...
Shorten it to 20 words or less, I am very busy man!
low rated
That's not a store page Link, it's hidden away in the article/Forum post, which most customers will never even see.
Even that one link was kindly provided by GOG Staff, not Take Two.

There is no store page available to buy the complete edition, was what I meant.
I'm not criticising GOG, or even Feraxis for this, just the publisher.

There is no store page, and the only way to find out about the deal via the Store pages, is in your cart.
It should be the main Store Page link for the game, even if it's for a limited time, they can just set the full price to the same as buying each package, and never discount it again.
It appears the GOG version isn't moddable as mods need the ModLauncher exe to enable/disable mods, even those manually installed. Unless I'm missing something, or GOG has changed the file structure, mods don't work.
Machinators: It appears the GOG version isn't moddable as mods need the ModLauncher exe to enable/disable mods, even those manually installed. Unless I'm missing something, or GOG has changed the file structure, mods don't work.
So there's no 'Launcher' folder at all? How do you swap between vanilla and WotC versions?

I don't think I could play the game without a few essential quality of life mods. Thanks for letting us know.
Machinators: It appears the GOG version isn't moddable as mods need the ModLauncher exe to enable/disable mods, even those manually installed. Unless I'm missing something, or GOG has changed the file structure, mods don't work.
JaqFrost: So there's no 'Launcher' folder at all? How do you swap between vanilla and WotC versions?

I don't think I could play the game without a few essential quality of life mods. Thanks for letting us know.
You have to edit the file DefaultModOptions.ini:
"C:\GOG Games\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\XComGame\Config\DefaultModOptions.ini"

Mods listed there are active, for example:

[Engine.XComModOptions]
ActiveMods="NoRevealCinematics"
ActiveMods="OverwatchAllWotC"
ActiveMods="AllEquipmentsinSkirmish"
ActiveMods="StopWastingMyTime"
ActiveMods="NumericHealthDisplayWotC"

The name has to be exactly as written in the XComMod filename, in the mods folder:
C:\GOG Games\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\XComGame\Mods\Numeric Health Display -WotC-

So for example
NumericHealthDisplayWotC.XComMod
becomes

Apart from that mods work without issue in-game then.
Though I had to exchange Show Health Values - WotC with Numeric Health Display -WotC-, because it does not work for some reason. Apart from that though, no issues at all. Hope this helps.
JaqFrost: So there's no 'Launcher' folder at all? How do you swap between vanilla and WotC versions?

Midoryu: You have to edit the file DefaultModOptions.ini:
"C:\GOG Games\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\XComGame\Config\DefaultModOptions.ini"

Mods listed there are active, for example:

[Engine.XComModOptions]
ActiveMods="NoRevealCinematics"
ActiveMods="OverwatchAllWotC"
ActiveMods="AllEquipmentsinSkirmish"
ActiveMods="StopWastingMyTime"

The name has to be exactly as written in the XComMod filename, in the mods folder:
C:\GOG Games\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\XComGame\Mods\Numeric Health Display -WotC-

So for example
NumericHealthDisplayWotC.XComMod
becomes

Apart from that mods work without issue in-game then.
Though I had to exchange Show Health Values - WotC with Numeric Health Display -WotC-, because it does not work for some reason. Apart from that though, no issues at all. Hope this helps.
The game crashes when opening it up after editing that .ini.