It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deep down and dirty.

<span class="bold">UnderRail</span> an underground turn-based survival RPG, is now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

You shift from leg to leg inside a tattered blanket-coat, struggling to shield yourself from the damp, cold air of the tunnels. The distant ruckus of looters, maliciously picking apart a homeless man's shelter, whispers words of hesitation into your ear. But that girl needed her medicine and, dammit, even if our entire race is nearly extinct, what we stand for must endure. You clench that makeshift shotgun in your radio-blistered hand and march straight ahead.

Do you miss the complex role-playing mechanics and challenging combat of the original Fallouts? UnderRail's got you covered… under tons upon tons of concrete, where life is still somewhat tolerable. Brave the horrors of an unforgiving world and venture through the underground complex of metro stations that the survivors now call home. Craft your own equipment, master turn-based combat and navigate the politics of opposing factions vying for power over those last remaining scraps of civilization.

Do whatever's necessary to survive and explore every dark corner of the <span class="bold">UnderRail</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. Grab your ticket with the 10% launch discount that will last until January 1st, 1:59 PM GMT.
AlienMind: Pity. Text is tiny, can't read. Can you increase the font size?
Lowering the resolution makes a huge difference and means you can see all the details in the graphics that you would miss at a higher resolution. I cant even play it at high resolution because the font is so bad!
samwisegamgees: You can lower the resolution drastically to show way more details and make the text easier to read. In my opinion the lower the better otherwise you miss all the little details and spend the whole time squinting.
IronArcturus: But does the game have the ability to zoom in the character? Sometimes they make these isometric games where the camera is zoomed too far out.
No, there is no actual zoom function but changing the resolution was good enough for me
Post edited December 20, 2015 by samwisegamgees
Banjo_oz: I understand the dev may have had trouble with Desura, but that's not us customers' problem or fault, and I would really like to be able to play the final game (without Steam!) that I pad for and supported during its development.
I agree that it would be great if we could 'migrate' our Desura copy here, but you do know why the Desura version isn't updated any more, right?
Desura went out of business over 6 months ago and the website has been sailing without a crew since then. There's no way to update the game there because the Desura staff need to authorise the update and there's no one working there any more.

Totally agree that a Steam key doesn't cut it now there's a DRM-free alternative though.
Banjo_oz: Also, am I right that GOG keys either cost the dev or are "limited" in how many free ones they get? I remember this discussion with Dan of NeoScavenger (another game bought before a GOG release was announced) and he hinted at this. If so, it would make sense why so many devs are free with Steam keys and not GOG ones (in regards to piracy, that would be silly as Steam games get cracked faster than GOG games get shared around, from what I've heard!).
I remember asking a blue at some point in the past and was told devs can have any many as they want for free, they just need to ask. Perhaps on Steam it's automatic or at least easier to get the keys, because a lot of devs seem to be under the impression that they can't do the same on GOG. Maybe they're just making excuses and don't want to.
Post edited December 21, 2015 by SirPrimalform
Banjo_oz: I understand the dev may have had trouble with Desura, but that's not us customers' problem or fault, and I would really like to be able to play the final game (without Steam!) that I pad for and supported during its development.
SirPrimalform: I agree that it would be great if we could 'migrate' our Desura copy here, but you do know why the Desura version isn't updated any more, right?
Desura went out of business over 6 months ago and the website has been sailing without a crew since then. There's no way to update the game there because the Desura staff need to authorise the update and there's no one working there any more.

Totally agree that a Steam key doesn't cut it now there's a DRM-free alternative though.
Banjo_oz: Also, am I right that GOG keys either cost the dev or are "limited" in how many free ones they get? I remember this discussion with Dan of NeoScavenger (another game bought before a GOG release was announced) and he hinted at this. If so, it would make sense why so many devs are free with Steam keys and not GOG ones (in regards to piracy, that would be silly as Steam games get cracked faster than GOG games get shared around, from what I've heard!).
SirPrimalform: I remember asking a blue at some point in the past and was told devs can have any many as they want for free, they just need to ask. Perhaps on Steam it's automatic or at least easier to get the keys, because a lot of devs seem to be under the impression that they can't do the same on GOG. Maybe they're just making excuses and don't want to.
Thanks, that's interesting to know. Both Blue Bottle Games (NeoScavenger) and Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun series) told me they were "unable" to give out GOG keys unlike Steam keys.

Dan's a great guy, but I was a bit disappointed that having backed at a much higher price "limited edition" directly, there was no GOG key available, and I had to buy the game a second time if I wanted it in my library here.

HBS refused to give a GOG key for the Collector's Edition content I Kickstarter-funded (instead forcing a 3rd party website to download from with the suggestion "save it somewhere safe"!), meaning I had to rebuy the CE to have it in my GOG account... then again, as much as I *adore* their Shadowrun games, this is the same company that flat-out said their first game would NEVER EVER be DRM-free... then after most of us had grudgingly bought it on Steam, released it on GOG and Humble!

Back on topic, as I said, if there's a DRM-free alternative (and especially if it costs the dev nothing) Desura buyers should *definitely* get a GOG key if they want one. Heck, I'd wager probably only about a quarter of them would want one anyway (many gamers are in love with Steam for some reason!).

Regarding the Desura issue, I know they went bust (though it happened quite a while after I bought my last game there, which I believe *was* Underrail's alpha) but again, that's not the customers' fault (except for reminding me why I really *don't* trust or like the whole "digital purchase" age... I still backup/burn everything I buy!). The dev chose Desura, they need to support their customers if Desura can't be updated by providing a 1:1 alternative, and that's not just "here's a Steam key every Desura game gets anyway".

As for Underrail being DRM-free on Steam... that's good, but one still needs Steam to download it! Downloading it, moving the folder, and then having to watch Steam for updates (and redownload it again each time) and having to manually zip it into a backup in case Steam decides to force a broken patch on the game... that's not the experience I want or paid for.

It's also the principal of the thing that (as with Shadowrun) if I'd been given the *choice*, I would take GOG every single time.

I am totally sympathetic with the struggled of a busy, hard-working indie dev... what I hate is when *any* dev big or small (and it's only speculative regarding Underrail without anyone hearing back yet) starts and ends their service to their customers once they have their money in their pockets.
Banjo_oz: Full price alpha via the dev's website (which went through to Desura).

I wanted DRM-free and because I wanted to support them more directly than Steam does. No idea what the groupies thing is! Bundle deal?

That's what makes this hurt; not only do I not get what I paid for if I only ever get a Steam key, but I supported the game long before it was a finished product. Now any new buyer can get it DRM-free on GOG, and someone like me who helped fund the game early on gets stuck with Steam.
https://groupees.com/bagb

The direct download however was only the alpha (desura key was available as well), although all the people who bought this bundle ended up getting a Steamkey once game got greenlit. Seems dev abandoned standalone drm free once they got onto steam.
Banjo_oz:
Relevant link.

I was only hit with the Interstellaria dev not giving GOG keys to kickstarter backers. But I only KS'd 2 games. Next one is pending and should offer a GOG key. (Obduction)
Post edited December 21, 2015 by budejovice
budejovice: Relevant link.

I was only hit with the Interstellaria dev not giving GOG keys to kickstarter backers. But I only KS'd 2 games. Next one is pending and should offer a GOG key. (Obduction)
Nice, thanks for finding that for me! I couldn't be bothered to do it myself. ;)

SirPrimalform: Nice, thanks for finding that for me! I couldn't be bothered to do it myself. ;)
I assume it was either JMich or Grargar that originally found it for me. :)

EDIT: And I'll take it a step further. I assume it was actually Grargar and I assume he could also find where he originally linked it to me, I believe, months ago. ;)
Post edited December 22, 2015 by budejovice
There is a similarly titled (but very different) game that can be beating without killing anyone, or where you can kill everyone if you prefer.

My question is, are pacifist and genocide runs possible in this game, and does anything special happen either way?

Pacifist: Beat the game without killing anything.

Genocide: Kill everything in the game, then beat it.
Banjo_oz:

Thanks, that kind of makes me a bit cross with Blue Bottle Games for saying they couldn't easily do it for NeoScavenger, even for those handful of us who bought the extra special more expensive limited edition off their website (now no longer sold). I actually bought the game a second time on GOG because I wanted it in my library and it was on sale, and while I wanted to support a fantastic dev who'd been awesome throughout the whole alpha/beta of that game, I feel rather "duped" now. :(

As for Underrail, *still* no reply yet. I'm now in the "deliberately ignored" conspiracy theory camp, which is really sad as I would have otherwise been greatly interested any any future games by this developer.
There's already two hotfixes released on Steam, when are these going to be implemented on the GOG version?
Martek: ...

Some of my "gotcha's" (that I haven't seen addressed yet ITT):

* Tries to talk to the net (even though a net connection is not required, but if there is one ..) to tell me about updates or has advertisements (like for DLC's - which might not yet exist - but a framework for it could be in place), or leaderboards, or to report back to homebase on how my game is going - statistics, debug logs, etc.
mystral: There isn't any of that.

Martek: * Uses any of the following: Flash, AIR, Java (even if it comes with it's own "runtime" for them).
mystral: I don't think it uses any of those.
Martek: * Save game style: Checkpoints vs save anywhere / multiple saves allowed vs only certain number of "most recent", etc.
mystral: You can save anywhere and anytime except when you're in combat. There are also autosave options.

Martek: I've also read <i>here</i> that the "vision range" is "only" 13 tiles, while some weapons have ranges as high as 20 tiles - presumably meaning the "extra" range is useless because you cannot target that far away. Anyone have any experience with that aspect and wish to comment on it?

I really like this type and style of game - so am really hoping it passes the "gotcha's" test.. :)
mystral: Actually, this seems to be on purpose to reward stealth and people who scout ahead instead of blundering into encounters. With high stealth you can see enemies without them noticing you and then back up to your weapon's maximum range to snipe them.
For once, stealth is actually a very useful skill, especially if you choose the xp system that doesn't give xp for fights.
Sorry for this belated reply (holidays keeping things busy) - but THANKS for taking time to address these :)

I'll likely grab this one - although I'll first wait and see if it turns up 'under the tree' (since it's on my list) :)
Martek: Sorry for this belated reply (holidays keeping things busy) - but THANKS for taking time to address these :)

I'll likely grab this one - although I'll first wait and see if it turns up 'under the tree' (since it's on my list) :)
if you dont have problems with games like photosensitivity or motionsickness and you like this kind of games i can recommend it for you, i tried to recreate a fallout classics, which succeeded fairly good as far as the graphics and style
concerns.

The playing and the way to draw a line when in combat move or so is not fallout clasics like, best attackmode is walking realtime when a danger is present like a rat or so, fallout switched to combat mode for you, and the turnbased began, and thats the best easy way to do combat, no drawing of lines.
Drawing a line to attack only works well for flash/air games like Telepath Tactics, it works a charm for this game but games that try to look like fallout classic should also make a combat system that works, so that line drawing to attack is a no no and takes to much time and is not handy.

Other then that the game is very good, reason i dont play is there too much ambient lighting in the corridors, starting from the tutorial with the irritaing pulsating glow that wont go away and cant be turned off.

I saw a update but, no options included to disable all that extra stuff like glowing lights and more apocalyptic light effects so thats why i am a bit disapointed in this game.

Well i dont expect there ever will be a way to turn of all that lighting stuff and glowing off in the menu or via a configfile
cause it seems the dev dont see that as a major problem and i havent got any response in steam aswell when i asked it a few days ago.

So the game will sadly never be played by me.
So i close this part on underrail and wont talk about it anymore, i am looking for and concentrating now on games like this game but without those lightanimations or with at least a way to shut it off.
Less is more in my case :D
low rated
Doesn't work for me on Win 10. I have 558 Steam games that do. So it's not me, sorry.

BTW, the few new games I've bought via Galaxy has caused me problems. End of my relationship with GoG. Galaxy is DRM and doesn't even work. Reminds me of Uplay. For many years you had something to offer - not any more. Any other site like gamersgate or greenman gives me nice Steam key that works. Now GoG gives me nothing but problems.
mikerusso1983: Doesn't work for me on Win 10. I have 558 Steam games that do. So it's not me, sorry.

BTW, the few new games I've bought via Galaxy has caused me problems. End of my relationship with GoG. Galaxy is DRM and doesn't even work. ...
Then just don't use Galaxy. Download the offline installers directly or via GOG-downloader or via any other downloader and install them yourself. Luckily there is no need yet to use Galaxy (unless you are one of those achievement addicts).
Lifthrasil: Luckily there is no need yet to use Galaxy (unless you are one of those achievement addicts).
Or one is like me to lazy to keep the games up-to-date manually. And gogs patch-system doesn't make it easier.