It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deep down and dirty.

<span class="bold">UnderRail</span> an underground turn-based survival RPG, is now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

You shift from leg to leg inside a tattered blanket-coat, struggling to shield yourself from the damp, cold air of the tunnels. The distant ruckus of looters, maliciously picking apart a homeless man's shelter, whispers words of hesitation into your ear. But that girl needed her medicine and, dammit, even if our entire race is nearly extinct, what we stand for must endure. You clench that makeshift shotgun in your radio-blistered hand and march straight ahead.

Do you miss the complex role-playing mechanics and challenging combat of the original Fallouts? UnderRail's got you covered… under tons upon tons of concrete, where life is still somewhat tolerable. Brave the horrors of an unforgiving world and venture through the underground complex of metro stations that the survivors now call home. Craft your own equipment, master turn-based combat and navigate the politics of opposing factions vying for power over those last remaining scraps of civilization.

Do whatever's necessary to survive and explore every dark corner of the <span class="bold">UnderRail</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. Grab your ticket with the 10% launch discount that will last until January 1st, 1:59 PM GMT.
Immoli: Good luck, I've been trying also and it seems he's just ignoring anyone who brings the issue up. Thankfully the pirates are supporting the game. Pretty fucked up when pirates are giving better customer service than the actual developer.
For the dumbasses that bought it on gog, I hope he doesn't decide that they are too much work to justify patching the game and abandon it to only update the steam version.

Thankfully, this wont happen to me anymore. Bought this game years ago, but now I just skip the buying and go straight to pirating. No point in paying for a game I'm going to have to pirate anyway. This shit happens too often.
David9855: As far as I am aware Desura is bankrupt and in limbo if so that is the suppliers fault and that the dev. of the game has remedied this for his supporters by providing a steam key to every one of the backers that was on Desura which is great, steam keys over the game on gog has been discussed a few times around the internet and the developers usually go for steam keys because of wide spread dishonesty in people trying to re-sell the gog versions.

Piracy regardless of if people make up a story about it to justify it to themselves and encourage others is still piracy. Would you rather the dev. stopped his game altogether and just took your money? Reading some of these posts they are awfully norrow minded and entitled you seem full of hate, negativity and immaturity. I've been having a blast with the game so far as per some of my previous posts and your letting hatred around an issue to do with desura and your entitlement get in the way of enjoying and supporting a great game. (This is in my opinion put forward in a mature manner ib4 some on replies with teenage angst level abuse because they don't agree)

Since the dev. isn't a large multinational company I dare say he has thousands of emails and questions in his inbox and doesn't have the capacity to reply to each individually.

For less then $20 I got a great game that I am loving and having fun and that has a whole stack of content and buying it on gog is drm free.
Agreed. Any type of piracy is not good for the developers and the gaming community. Any "justified" piracy only encourages piracy in general.
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/underrail
Completed
DRM does not work in a single player game.
People with no money but interested in gaming pirate anyway. If they grow up (literally) they will have the money and buy your warez (no pun intended), IF it's good.
So please, sellers, stop it. Stop the DRM and stop the whining. You choose to sell a product which is easily duplicated. It's easy for you to duplicate and try to sell it, too! If you don't like the whole situation, go into the business of actual hardware.
Post edited December 20, 2015 by AlienMind
HenitoKisou: Even if it's joke is bad one and here's why:

if dev release DRM-Free build on Steam that makes him think it's not worth trouble doing so because people will pirate it anyway as this is based on trust that fans will buy their game anyway but leaves message that DRM-Free build = auto-pirated.

If game, especially in Early Access or later locked behind Steam api and client DRM gets pirated that gives dev message saying people don't want DRM so its less damaging than distribution of DRM-Free build because people made cracks to deactivate DRM but still gives public image that DRM-Free by means of cracked is pirating.

If someone distribute GOG release is double damaging than release of Steam cracked release because often some games were released on Steam with their Steam api and client DRM deactivated but still present in game files and that makes them both - equal to pirates cracked Steam ones DRM-Free and gives message that people don't care about idea of DRM Free and distribute it anyway even when stripped off DRM/deactivated official and legal way. If that was other service and/or with DRM-Free build too leaves message that DRM-Free = auto-pirated. Whole idea that GOG stands and fights for is shred to pieces and cycle repeats - devs thinking again they need DRM protect their releases.
There's a bollocks premise around which is "DRM prevents piracy".
Everyone knows, that DRM encourages privacy, often is the sole reason for it. Those hackers see it as a game and have much more joy in destroying the corporate control freak mechanisms than playing the actual game. Tell me which DRMed game isn't available on any torrent site, I'm not up-to-date but it can't be many.
The most pirated version of Witcher 2 was the initially DRMed one, not the naturally DRM-free one from GoG - kinda says it all.

DRM is creating piracy.

BrokenBull: Agreed. Any type of piracy is not good for the developers and the gaming community. Any "justified" piracy only encourages piracy in general.
Who needs piracy anyway?
There are so many great, cheap, DRM-free and often even multi-platform games out there, that one should be thankful for everything that makes his choice easier and that he can even use this to his advantage to financially support devs that are doing it right!

For every pirated corporate-mofo's game, a more idealistic and talented dev get's a few bucks less and his art is seen by even less people, maybe even convincing him, that DRM-free isn't worth shit.

We should really give our time and money to those who deserve it and tbh, many DRMed games aren't even worth the time playing them for free.
Post edited December 20, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: There's a bollocks premise around which is "DRM prevents piracy".
Everyone knows, that DRM encourages privacy, often is the sole reason for it. ..Tell me which DRMed game isn't available on any torrent site
DRM prevents piracy in multiplayer games. To a point. At release there was no substitute to the server infrastructure of Battlefield Bad Company 2 because the licensed server providers like multiplay had a NDA not releasing them. Until (very much) later, one guy broke the NDA and numerous other guys reverse engineered it to fake the communication with the master server browser / authenticator.

Klumpen0815: For every pirated corporate-mofo's game, a more idealistic and talented dev get's a few bucks less and his art is seen by even less people, maybe even convincing him, that DRM-free isn't worth shit.
I wish that would be true, friend. Sadly, the artists gotta eat and pay rent and nothing replaces regular income at a soul-less job e.g. EA could give you.
That said, little studios are kicking butt of the majors this year. RESPECT!
(i won't say indies because that only means that you own your own company, so if EA would rename one of his labels to just EA and make a game with those people, it would be an indie game)
Post edited December 20, 2015 by AlienMind
Klumpen0815: For every pirated corporate-mofo's game, a more idealistic and talented dev get's a few bucks less and his art is seen by even less people, maybe even convincing him, that DRM-free isn't worth shit.
AlienMind: I wish that would be true, friend. Sadly, the artists gotta eat and pay rent and nothing replaces regular income at a soul-less job e.g. EA could give you.
Well, Ed McMillen showed, that it's possible up to a certain degree although very risky and tiring, but that's the case with all self-employment without a rich heir's background, I know what I'm talking about and it's way more risky when it comes to physical goods. :/
But even not considering the money, those people want their art to be seen and that it get's talked about. This doesn't happen when people are focusing on DRMed AAA titles, doesn't really matter if pirated or steamed.

AlienMind: That said, little studios are kicking butt of the majors this year. RESPECT!
Aye!

AlienMind: i won't say indies because that only means that you own your own company, so if EA would rename one of his labels to just EA and make a game with those people, it would be an indie game
True, many "indies" today are actually not self-employed.
There is no DRM in UnderRail. Doesn't matter where you buy it.
Since others have been discussing this, I thought I'd report in to say I still haven't heard back yet. I assume others who've written with the same issue haven't either?

So far I've posted here and on Steam, but no dev response there either; (as expected) the only response was someone who spouts the usual "but Steam is awesome"! :) Sent a second email but again no reply (no idea if their website contact email works).

I do certainly understand that the dev is really just one guy and don't expect instant response, but I sent my first email almost a week ago and I am worried it is being ignored rather than a case of just being busy with the launch. Even if not, it's a bit hurtful that selling to new customers takes priority over those of us who paid in full when the game wasn't even finished! I expect that from a big publisher, not an indie dev.

Again, that's just based on the lack of response. I might be totally wrong and they are indeed just snowed under with the workload. That's fine. A short "I'm still finishing up the launch this week, but would be happy to try and work something out after Christmas for you if I can" would be more than acceptable. It's the silent treatment that concerns me.

As for who's "fault" any Desura problems are, all I know is it isn't the customer who's already spent their money in good faith! As I said on Steam, if there was *no* DRM-free option after Desura was lost, I would be more understanding (I hate that this happened with Project Zomboid, but keep my fingers crossed they get a GOG release someday).

In regards to Steam keys vs GOG keys, every Desura game I ever bought came with one if the game was also on Steam; it's something they just did, as far as I knew, not a special thing for devs.

Also, am I right that GOG keys either cost the dev or are "limited" in how many free ones they get? I remember this discussion with Dan of NeoScavenger (another game bought before a GOG release was announced) and he hinted at this. If so, it would make sense why so many devs are free with Steam keys and not GOG ones (in regards to piracy, that would be silly as Steam games get cracked faster than GOG games get shared around, from what I've heard!).

Banjo_oz: Is there a way to contact the dev here? I've emailed them via their website but have yet to receive a reply and am getting a bit worried they are ignoring the issue of those of us who already paid for this game prior to release.

I (and others like me) purchased Underrail from them DRM-free (on Desura) last year, and only supported the game because there was DRM-free option. Now that the dev no longer updates the Desura build, I am very much hoping that they give those of us who bought the game already a GOG key, since we paid for a DRM-free game!

A "Steam key" does not cut it, as I would have never bought the game had it only been ever getting a Steam release!

I understand the dev may have had trouble with Desura, but that's not us customers' problem or fault, and I would really like to be able to play the final game (without Steam!) that I pad for and supported during its development.
Niggles: Yes but did you buy it full price during alpha/beta on desura or did you get it via the Groupees bundle a longtime back?
Full price alpha via the dev's website (which went through to Desura).

I wanted DRM-free and because I wanted to support them more directly than Steam does. No idea what the groupies thing is! Bundle deal?

That's what makes this hurt; not only do I not get what I paid for if I only ever get a Steam key, but I supported the game long before it was a finished product. Now any new buyer can get it DRM-free on GOG, and someone like me who helped fund the game early on gets stuck with Steam.
HenitoKisou: Even if it's joke is bad one and here's why:

if dev release DRM-Free build on Steam that makes him think it's not worth trouble doing so because people will pirate it anyway as this is based on trust that fans will buy their game anyway but leaves message that DRM-Free build = auto-pirated.

If game, especially in Early Access or later locked behind Steam api and client DRM gets pirated that gives dev message saying people don't want DRM so its less damaging than distribution of DRM-Free build because people made cracks to deactivate DRM but still gives public image that DRM-Free by means of cracked is pirating.

If someone distribute GOG release is double damaging than release of Steam cracked release because often some games were released on Steam with their Steam api and client DRM deactivated but still present in game files and that makes them both - equal to pirates cracked Steam ones DRM-Free and gives message that people don't care about idea of DRM Free and distribute it anyway even when stripped off DRM/deactivated official and legal way. If that was other service and/or with DRM-Free build too leaves message that DRM-Free = auto-pirated. Whole idea that GOG stands and fights for is shred to pieces and cycle repeats - devs thinking again they need DRM protect their releases.
Klumpen0815: There's a bollocks premise around which is "DRM prevents piracy".
Everyone knows, that DRM encourages privacy, often is the sole reason for it. Those hackers see it as a game and have much more joy in destroying the corporate control freak mechanisms than playing the actual game. Tell me which DRMed game isn't available on any torrent site, I'm not up-to-date but it can't be many.
The most pirated version of Witcher 2 was the initially DRMed one, not the naturally DRM-free one from GoG - kinda says it all.

DRM is creating piracy.

BrokenBull: Agreed. Any type of piracy is not good for the developers and the gaming community. Any "justified" piracy only encourages piracy in general.
Klumpen0815: Who needs piracy anyway?
There are so many great, cheap, DRM-free and often even multi-platform games out there, that one should be thankful for everything that makes his choice easier and that he can even use this to his advantage to financially support devs that are doing it right!

For every pirated corporate-mofo's game, a more idealistic and talented dev get's a few bucks less and his art is seen by even less people, maybe even convincing him, that DRM-free isn't worth shit.

We should really give our time and money to those who deserve it and tbh, many DRMed games aren't even worth the time playing them for free.
Since DRM free games also get pirated, I would say that it is pirates that create piracy
amok: Since DRM free games also get pirated, I would say that it is pirates that create piracy
Always with the logic, you so silly.
kawacatoose: There is no DRM in UnderRail. Doesn't matter where you buy it.
Sure there is in the Steam Framework. And if you buy on Steam you have to install the spoiled framework.

The game itself is DRM-free but to buy it you have to install a DRM framework. That's what most people don't get. And what negates that the game itself is DRM free. :)
IronArcturus: Looks pretty cool! Does this version allow either zooming or scaling?
You can lower the resolution drastically to show way more details and make the text easier to read. In my opinion the lower the better otherwise you miss all the little details and spend the whole time squinting.
From what I understand, Underrail (or rather the engine) has been in development since the early 2000's, which is why the game kinda looks like an old RPG with a widescreen hack (everything is small etc).
samwisegamgees: You can lower the resolution drastically to show way more details and make the text easier to read. In my opinion the lower the better otherwise you miss all the little details and spend the whole time squinting.
But does the game have the ability to zoom in the character? Sometimes they make these isometric games where the camera is zoomed too far out.
IronArcturus: Looks pretty cool! Does this version allow either zooming or scaling?
samwisegamgees: You can lower the resolution drastically to show way more details and make the text easier to read. In my opinion the lower the better otherwise you miss all the little details and spend the whole time squinting.
Depends on the size of your screen. :)
Nothing's better than really old isometric games in really high definition on a big and sharp screen.

I really like the approach in Diablo 1 - Belzebub, you can zoom in via mouse wheel there, giving you all the advantages at once.