It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
.Keys: I think personally that GOG version have higher chances of becoming the go-to ultimate Skyrim version for modding after a while.
For using mods? Maybe. Eventually.
For developing mods? Not until and unless GOG is able to release the Creation Kit.
HunchBluntley: For using mods? Maybe. Eventually.
For developing mods? Not until and unless GOG is able to release the Creation Kit.
Let's hope then. =)
If we can get Skyrim on GOG then the Creation Kit (or compatible software) is only a matter of time.
richlind33:
StingingVelvet: This idea that "some mods haven't updated to the latest patch yet" means Bethesda or GOG did something wrong is insane. Just crazy talk, honestly.

P.S. The vast majority play without mods, and Bethesda got their mainstream success through Oblivion on 360 which had zero mods capability, FYI. Skyrim on 360 didn't have any either.
Indeed.
thegreyshadow: I just purchased Skyrim (at a cheaper price during a sale) about three weeks ago in that other site.

I gave up hopes of getting it on GOG. And then... Suprise!!

Thanks GOG. Much appreciated... and an instabuy from me.
Getting it from GOG too, as well. Cheers!
Post edited October 04, 2022 by Carradice
Are the three official DLC included with the upgrade worth it?
Niggles: Are the three official DLC included with the upgrade worth it?
As is often the case, they don't expressly say what DLCs are included with what, but my understanding is that they come with the base game in the Special Edition, and that it is only the Creation Club content that comes with the Upgrade.

For sure, it would be easy to state things very clearly, and it makes one very suspicious when they don't.
richlind33: Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised, and if necessary hold off until it does, seeing as how the game is terrible without mods. It's not like GOG couldn't get volunteers to do that, if they gave a rip.
StingingVelvet: This idea that "some mods haven't updated to the latest patch yet" means Bethesda or GOG did something wrong is insane. Just crazy talk, honestly.

P.S. The vast majority play without mods, and Bethesda got their mainstream success through Oblivion on 360 which had zero mods capability, FYI. Skyrim on 360 didn't have any either.
The game description states that "the GOG version is compatible out of the box with most mods", which is impossible because mods aren't updated in perpetuity, and all mods are not compatible with all managers.

Fabricating quotes isn't terribly classy, SV. Bit surprised to see you stoop to that.
richlind33: The game description states that "the GOG version is compatible out of the box with most mods", which is impossible because mods aren't updated in perpetuity, and all mods are not compatible with all managers.
And also not all mods are compatible with all game versions, and not all mods are compatible with all SKSE versions either.

GOG and Bethesda both did a lot wrong with this release, including:

1) They promise "no forced updates," which is direct acknowledgement on their part that forcing players to use a specific game version or later, whilst denying them access to earlier versions, causes all kinds of big problems.

However, in contradiction to their admission of that problem and their alleged attempt to avoid that problem (via promising "no forced updates"), GOG and Bethesda have already baked that very same problem right into the initial GOG release, by not allowing GOG users to use earlier versions of the game that would be compatible with the mods that many GOG customers will want to use, which the current version is not.

2) Using different version numbers and files for the Steam vs. GOG release also causes all kinds of big problems, which results in many mods that are updated still not working with the GOG version.

The biggest and most popular mod collection on Nexus, for example (at least according to how the collection manager describes it), with over 400 mods in it, does not work with the GOG version according to that same collection manager, and he also has stated that he has no intention of trying to make it work with the GOG version until far into the future when (possibly) all the issues with the GOG version are worked out, which he is adamant is something that definitely would not happen any time soon.

Another example: another GOG customer recently posted what should have been a very useful youtube video guide of another mod collection with over 350+ mods that improve Skyrim's graphics to make it look like a modern game from 2022. Except GOG customers cannot use those mods, because they are incompatible with the most recent version of Skyrim (the one which GOG customers are forced to use).

Whereas Steam customers can still use those 350+ mods simply by either a) not updating to the most recent version of Skyrim or b) rolling back to an earlier version of their Steam version of Skyrim if they already had updated...neither of which option is available to GOG customers, so therefore GOG customers have no ability to use those mods which Steam users can.

So....GOG's claim that most mods will work out of the box seems to be very untrue.

GOG and Bethesda could, and definitely should, fix this problem by giving the GOG version and the Steam version 100% exact identical parity with each other, on a file-by-file level, so that anything that can be done to the Steam version can also be done to the GOG version in the exact same way and using the exact same methods.

Then all of those kinds of major problems that I just described would no longer be problems, and then GOG customers could be very happy with their GOG purchases of Skyrim.

If achieving identical versions would require Bethesda to remove the in-game Creation Club menu from the Steam version, then Bethesda needs to do that.

Otherwise, if no efforts are made to make both versions identical to each other, then it appears as though GOG customers are going to continue to suffer from big problems with trying to mod the GOG version of the game successfully.
Post edited October 04, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
richlind33: The game description states that "the GOG version is compatible out of the box with most mods", which is impossible because mods aren't updated in perpetuity, and all mods are not compatible with all managers.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And also not all mods are compatible with all game versions, and not all mods are compatible with all SKSE versions either.

1) They promise "no forced updates," which is direct acknowledgement on their part that forcing players to use a specific game version or later, whilst denying them access to earlier versions, causes all kinds of big problems.

However, in contradiction to their admission of that problem and their alleged attempt to avoid that problem (via promising "no forced updates"), GOG and Bethesda have already baked that very same problem right into the initial GOG release, by not allowing GOG users to use earlier versions of the game that would be compatible with the mods that many GOG customers will want to use, which the current version is not.

2) Using different version numbers and files for the Steam vs. GOG release also causes all kinds of big problems, which results in many mods that are updated still not working with the GOG version.

The biggest and most popular mod collection on Nexus, for example (at least according to how the collection manager describes it), with over 400 mods in it, does not work with the GOG version according to that same collection manager, and he also has stated that he has no intention of trying to make it work with the GOG version until far into the future when (possibly) all the issues with the GOG version are worked out, which he is adamant is something that definitely would not happen any time soon.

Another example: another GOG customer recently posted what should have been a very useful youtube video guide of another mod collection with over 350+ mods that improve Skyrim's graphics to make it look like a modern game from 2022. Except GOG customers cannot use those mods, because they are incompatible with the most recent version of Skyrim (the one which GOG customers are forced to use).

Whereas Steam customers can still use those 350+ mods simply by either a) not updating to the most recent version of Skyrim or b) rolling back to an earlier version of their Steam version of Skyrim if they already had updated...neither of which option is available to GOG customers, so therefore GOG customers have no ability to use those mods which Steam users can.

So....GOG's claim that most mods will work out of the box seems to be very untrue.

GOG and Bethesda could, and definitely should, fix this problem by giving the GOG version and the Steam version 100% exact identical parity with each other, on a file-by-file level, so that anything that can be done to the Steam version can also be done to the GOG version in the exact same way and using the exact same methods.

Then all of those kinds of major problems that I just described would no longer be problems, and then GOG customers could be very happy with their GOG purchases of Skyrim.

If achieving identical versions would require Bethesda to remove the in-game Creation Club menu from the Steam version, then Bethesda needs to do that.

Otherwise, if no efforts are made to make both versions identical to each other, then it appears as though GOG customers are going to continue to suffer from big problems with trying to mod the GOG version of the game successfully.
I could be wrong but I don't think the Steam version would be compatible with Galaxy. In the long run this will probably work for most people, but claiming it works with most mods out of the box is quite a whopper. Maybe they got carried away with the excitement of releasing the-game-that-would-never-be-released-on-Gog.
Crazy_McGee: If we can get Skyrim on GOG then the Creation Kit (or compatible software) is only a matter of time.
I'd like to think so. But when GOG releases a game with a feature missing, then states that they're "looking into" getting it, said feature more often than not never appears. But GOG seems to be on decent terms with Bethesda, so I'm hopeful for now.
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And also not all mods are compatible with all game versions, and not all mods are compatible with all SKSE versions either.

You are forgetting something really important. They cannot give you the ability to rollback to a previous version without restore the in game creation club menu with log in and drm.

I think that's not ok (drm on gog is never ok) so steam and gog version will never be identical (and that's final, I don't really think Bethesda will remove the creation club on the steam release in the future, and that would not solve the current compatibility problem with mods at all).

Also I can understand that mods are important for Bethesda games but never forget that we are still talking about things that are not supported by Bethesda or gog as they are not official. So the update part cannot be guaranteed.

The only part that I would like to see released in the future here is the creation kit, since that's official and it's necessary to create new mods... I don't use it but I think that should be part of the package.

But I don't think it's fair to expect 100% compatibility with mods on day one for the gog drm free release. And they actually made an effort to remove drm this time (creation club in game menu and log in is gone and steam drm is gone too), they also made an effort to contact the most important mod creators before release (SKSE was already updated on day one for example), they created the anniversary update dlc as an offline installer... Most of the times they don't really do any of that, they just remove the steam drm and release the game with in game menu that will not work or with in game menu that still work as "optional drm if you want that feature".

Think about Dragon age origins for example, the gog release is already ok since it contains everything, but there is still an in game menu to connect to ea...

I think there will be mods that will only be compatible with steam, mods compatible with both version of the game and some small mod will probably in the future be only compatible with the gog release. But the most important thing is that the main game will be preserved drm free so that if steam and/or gog go out of business Skyrim will still be playable.
Right now there are only some mods that are compatible so of course most collections of mods will not work (especially if the collection is large there are lot's of chance to find an incompatible mod) but in the near future there will also be collection of mods for the gog version.
The main thing to remember is that gog is not about mods or parity with steam, it's about drm free. Many times they tried to be steam friendly by doing something wrong with drm, not this time and I'm glad for it, even without complete mods compatibility I think this is a good drm free release.
Thanks so much CD Projekt Red for coming through and releasing Skyrim. You're the best!

I hope next up will be Fallout 4, though it'll probably at least take 4-5 years.

But until then, I'll have fun with Skyrim
high rated
LiefLayer: You are forgetting something really important. They cannot give you the ability to rollback to a previous version without restore the in game creation club menu with log in and drm. And they actually made an effort to remove drm this time (creation club in game menu and log in is gone and steam drm is gone too), they also made an effort to contact the most important mod creators before release (SKSE was already updated on day one for example), they created the anniversary update dlc as an offline installer... But the most important thing is that the main game will be preserved drm free so that if steam and/or gog go out of business Skyrim will still be playable.

The main thing to remember is that gog is not about mods or parity with steam, it's about drm free. Many times they tried to be steam friendly by doing something wrong with drm, not this time and I'm glad for it, even without complete mods compatibility I think this is a good drm free release.
^ This. The new Skyrim (GOG Edition) pretty much has to be treated as v1.0 for DRM reasons, ie, the only older versions Bethesda provide to "roll back" to have Steam DRM in them. It's like Deus Ex Human Revolution - some people prefer the original version vs the Director's Cut but it's not GOG's fault that you can't "roll back" the latter to the former on GOG when the publisher made a DRM-Free version only for the latter.

By far the main thing though is many more mods (inc important ones like SKSE, SkyUI, Unofficial Bug Fix pack, etc) do work than those that don't, the game has non-broken offline installers (unlike certain other titles), once you have it working as desired, you can "freeze" your modded game version by backing up offline installers + the mods with them, and reinstall them 100% offline at a later date. That makes it a far more desirable release than Steam's forced updates / relying on online clients or Mod Managers pulling things from online mod servers (let's not forget that even for the Steam version, several Nexus Mods (and Mod Packs) broke because their authors deleted them or didn't bother porting from LE to SE in the first place, so the Steam version is no Gold Standard for mod stability either...)

There have been "troubled" releases here over the past couple of years with content / functionality being gated behind Galaxy, but I'm pleased to see Skyrim is actually a pretty decent offline friendly release.
I'm completely confused at this point (my regular state?)...

Initially, I'm fine with playing vanilla Skyrim, but if I hope to ultimately mod Skyrim, which version is best?

I understand there are some issues ATM, but is Anniversary Ed. ultimately the way to go?
kai2: I'm completely confused at this point (my regular state?)...

Initially, I'm fine with playing vanilla Skyrim, but if I hope to ultimately mod Skyrim, which version is best?

I understand there are some issues ATM, but is Anniversary Ed. ultimately the way to go?
1.6.659. (SE == AE). There are no other versions.

And you can perfectly mod manually if you don't like Vortex (MO2 and the rest will soon follow), just stay with mods that only have esp/bsp/dll and such and there should be no problem (that's my rec at least). Just add them to plugins.txt.

Right now I have SKSE+iHUD+SkyUI + a few others working just fine. USSEP seem also to work just great.

If there is a problem one can just delete the files easily.

If you mod manually with a bunch of separate text/mesh files things can get hairy really fast...
Post edited October 04, 2022 by sanscript