It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
Jopalnu: "Through the GOG Galaxy app, you can easily roll back to an older version of the game"
...Of fucking course
Not really.
Attachments:
Jopalnu: "Through the GOG Galaxy app, you can easily roll back to an older version of the game"
...Of fucking course
paladin181: Not really.
Not currently, as there's no other GOG version to roll back to.

Once the GOG version gets updated, you will be able to roll back to the version we currently have, if you need to.

In other words ,this feature means that, if an update as terrible as the original 1.2 update were to come out, not only would you not be forced to update, but if you already updated, you would be able to roll the update back.

(For anyone who didn't follow the game close to release, the game apparently released in a better state than previous TES games did, but then the 1.2 update came out, which introduced a lot of bugs. These bugs include things like dragons flying backwards and elemental resistance doing nothing (making many things useless, but making it easy to burn flame atronachs to death, for example). When the version came out on Steam, everyone with the game was forced to update (unless the person managed to get Steam running in offline mode prior to the update), so naturally there were a lot of complaints (and this led to the beta channel, as well as the 1.3 patch being mainly a bunch of regression fixes).)
BreOl72: Well, YMMV, of course - but I dare to disagree.
I played the vanilla version and loved it. No mods needed to enjoy the game.
And they call Soulsborne players masochists!
I so agree with that. Especially since you often (without knowing it) get new bugs in the game through modifications (and then think these come from the game itself). I have experienced this many times (with other players and also with myself).

Whereas there are actually some modifications that I would not want to do without - but these are then rather bug fixes or smaller mods that actually facilitate the operation (for example, to be able to operate the confirmation fields with the keyboard instead of only with the mouse).

Well, ... and (for me) in the Special Edition a modification to restore the style of the Legendary. But that's just my personal opinion.
Post edited October 03, 2022 by DropA
Kikisama: Skyrim is useless without mods.
I'm playing with no added mods and enjoying the game as well. If the game needs mods to be good, then it's not worth playing to me.
Post edited October 03, 2022 by Syphon72
Bought it anyway even if I don't like medieval fantasy and only to support the release of more AAA titles and especially FPS.

I'd like to ask the staff if the agreement on this release started before the Microsoft Bethessda's acquisition.
I disagree with those saying that the GOG version being fully compatible with mods doesn't matter.

To me, oh yes it does. I bought this game on GOG because I expected it to be fully compatible with mods. And if I knew it wasn't going to be and/or isn't going to be in a few weeks times, then I wouldn't have done so.

This game isn't advertised by GOG as being "gimpy second-class citizen edition," but with it's lack of functioning mod support for many/most key mods, combined with the inability to rollback to earlier versions from prior to the GOG release date, "gimpy second-class citizen edition" is exactly what it ends up being.
Been waiting for this one for a long time now. Glad to see it added here.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I disagree with those saying that the GOG version being fully compatible with mods doesn't matter.

To me, oh yes it does. I bought this game on GOG because I expected it to be fully compatible with mods. And if I knew it wasn't going to be and/or isn't going to be in a few weeks times, then I wouldn't have done so.

This game isn't advertised by GOG as being "gimpy second-class citizen edition," but with it's lack of functioning mod support for many/most key mods, combined with the inability to rollback to earlier versions from prior to the GOG release date, "gimpy second-class citizen edition" is exactly what it ends up being.
Modders are discussing about this and many asks for a week for GOG users to relax and wait.
I think personally that GOG version have higher chances of becoming the go-to ultimate Skyrim version for modding after a while.

Steam arbritrary forced updates always enraged modders, this has now changed with GOG DRM-Free version, so yes, let's wait. :)
high rated
I think Gog version is the best one with or without mods since I value the drm-free factor more than any mods (the lack of the creation club and log in in game is a great thing for me, also the fact that you can install the mods from the creation club included in the anniversary update with a simple offline installer is awesome).
I also tried some mods and some works (I only install them manually so don't ask me if and why vortex and something like that doesn't work)... but I will play it for the first time so I'll play it without mods (I'll just keep the mods already there from the anniversary edition since they are now official).
The only thing that I would like to get before playing the game is this mod to work:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705?tab=description (SSE Display Tweaks)
since I would like to get 75fps instead of 60 without ingame problem.

I already found a solution that works even without that mod but I'm not sure if it will create any problems in the future.

I added to Skyrim.ini in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG
bLockFrameRate=0
under [Display]

and
[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0133

And I avoided to touch the
iVSyncPresentInterval in the SkyrimPrefs.ini (that what I was doing wrong the first time I tried... without that it will go crazy with fps... something like 1000 fps).

If SSE Display Tweaks will update before I play this game I'll use it, if not I'll just keep an eye for any problem and go back to 60 fps if there are any gamebreaking bugs.

Still that will be the only 3rd party mod that I will use... and I'm sure the next time I'll play the game most mods will be updated.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I disagree with those saying that the GOG version being fully compatible with mods doesn't matter.

.Keys: Modders are discussing about this and many asks for a week for GOG users to relax and wait.
I think personally that GOG version have higher chances of becoming the go-to ultimate Skyrim version for modding after a while.

Steam arbritrary forced updates always enraged modders, this has now changed with GOG DRM-Free version, so yes, let's wait. :)
It also helps that the launch discount is actually lasting quite a while, longer than most launch discounts, so there's some chance for the modding situation to improve before the discount ends.
This is awesome.

NOW DO FALLOUT 4
Nope. Next must be Fallout 76. *runs*
DoomSooth: Nope. Next must be Fallout 76. *runs*
Only with a broken bag.
About Mod Organizer 2:

I think we can confirm that MO2 (Mod Organizer 2) Team is working in making it support GOG's Skyrim SE/AE.
It seems it's really just a matter of MO2 recognizing paths, because it's plugins use precoded paths that aren't present in MO v2.4.4 for GOG's Skyrim, therefore it can't give the game directions to look for installed mods.
Right now they're trying to figure out a good way to make Skyrim plugin recognize if the game is Steam or GOG version and configure an instance accordingly.
Probably they will use GOG's Dlls present in 'GOGrim' installation and Steam's Dlls present in 'Steamrim' installation to give MO2 directions.

Sources:
https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/issues/1744
And their Discord.

About GOG's version compatibility:

Like GOG said in their announcement, users are being able to install many mods that do not require heavy scripted, or dll reading, because, as stated above, it's just a matter of path finding.
For heavy scriptied and dll dependant mods, it's up to mod authors to update their mod dlls to be compatible with GOG's SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) version - I think.
So we can right now install many mods using Vortex mod manager, indeed.

Here are some that I'm personally going to test through Vortex:
These are not SKSE dependant, therefore they are 'easy to install' mods, with heavy compatibility.

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
Carriage and Ferry Travel Overhaul
Better Dialogue Controls
Immersive Weapons
Immersive Armors
Immersive Patrols
Enhanced Blood Textures
No Spinning Death Animation
Point the way
Sounds of Skyrim Complete

--edit:

User LuckyTrixx posted this in MO2 issue linked above as a workahound for MO2 users:
Hay, have the same problem. MO complains about a missing Plugins.txt. That one is, as mentioned, under "%localappdata%\Skyrim Special Edition GOG". If i write the Mod.esp into that file, and start the Game via MO, the Mods load. So i guess, MO isn't aware of the Location differences for the GOG Version?
Maybe you can do something via shortcuts?

Edit:
I found a temporary Solution:
I deleted the plugins.txt in the Mod organizer 2 Location, restart Mod Organizer 2 to re-create it.
Then i Symlinked it into "%localappdata%\Skyrim Special Edition GOG".
-> Proft.
Post edited October 03, 2022 by .Keys