It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
RoboPond: But even so GOG can't be giving free Skyrim copies to all mod creators thats just silly.
So you don't think a company should be able to send an email containing information about two paths? Maybe that's silly (see, I can throw in an implied insult as well). And if you think they will go bust if they were to give away free copies to four (?) people, maybe you should stop buying things here since then you'd also think that the servers will go offline at any moment.

RoboPond: Most mods will get updated over time, along with managers just have to wait.
That's actually the first thing I wrote.
bluethief: I never played a Elder Scrolls title before. Do I need to or can Skyrim be enjoyed on its own?
You might enjoy it more if you've never played any predecessors. YMMV of course, but some say that is very shallow especially compared to Morrowind.

bluethief: Also, would you say this game is comparable to Witcher 3? I ask because I loved Witcher 3, and was wondering if Skyrim could be up my alley too.
Maybe. It's hard to predict.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by mk47at
richlind33: And why should the modders be expected to update their mods? Are they getting anything out of it?
RoboPond: Why should they? Mods are created for the love of the game if they expect anything out of it then thats why Beth created CC (they get paid.)
I would say that modders mod out of love for a game *and* a community, and a for-profit store isn't part of a game community, so it's disrespectful if GOG just assumed that the modders would help them out out of the goodness of their hearts.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by richlind33
RoboPond: But even so GOG can't be giving free Skyrim copies to all mod creators thats just silly.
mk47at: So you don't think a company should be able to send an email containing information about two paths? Maybe that's silly (see, I can throw in an implied insult as well). And if you think they will go bust if they were to give away free copies to four (?) people, maybe you should stop buying things here since then you'd also think that the servers will go offline at any moment.

RoboPond: Most mods will get updated over time, along with managers just have to wait.
mk47at: That's actually the first thing I wrote.
I never said servers will go offline.

And also sending a email is not great as GOG will not have access to the thousands of personal emails of modders or access to Nexus's database.

I don't see how you expect all the modders to prepare for GOG's release of a new version and modified at that if they didn't know about it, and there is no way GOG could of let every modder know if they wanted to have you even seen Nexus?

Edit:

RoboPond: Why should they? Mods are created for the love of the game if they expect anything out of it then thats why Beth created CC (they get paid.)
richlind33: I would say that modders mod out of love for a game *and* a community, and a for-profit store isn't part of a game community, so it's disrespectful if GOG just assumed that the modders would help them out out of the goodness of their hearts.
Thats what I said and they will update their mods for the community.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by RoboPond
mk47at: So you don't think a company should be able to send an email containing information about two paths? Maybe that's silly (see, I can throw in an implied insult as well). And if you think they will go bust if they were to give away free copies to four (?) people, maybe you should stop buying things here since then you'd also think that the servers will go offline at any moment.

mk47at: That's actually the first thing I wrote.
bluethief: I never played a Elder Scrolls title before. Do I need to or can Skyrim be enjoyed on its own?
mk47at: You might enjoy it more if you've never played any predecessors. YMMV of course, but some say that is very shallow especially compared to Morrowind.

bluethief: Also, would you say this game is comparable to Witcher 3? I ask because I loved Witcher 3, and was wondering if Skyrim could be up my alley too.
mk47at: Maybe. It's hard to predict.
where do you get the number four from?
Last i checked the modding sceene had several 1000 people
its a wery far fetched idea to email all of these not to mention some mod groups and mod people only stay active for a short time or only for one project

Are you suggesting they shoud email/spam people that have moved on with their life despite it beeing 10 years they was active and last wished to do an update on the the mod?
In other words stalking people that no longer wish to have anything to do with the mod they created 10 years ago for fun?
Post edited October 02, 2022 by Lodium
RoboPond: I don't see how you expect all the modders to prepare for GOG's release of a new version and modified at that if they didn't know about it, and there is no way GOG could of let every modder know if they wanted to have you even seen Nexus?
GOG could get the word out to the Skyrim mod community if they wanted to. Seems like it was more important to keep it a big secret, which means longer waiting and hoping.
RoboPond: I never said servers will go offline.
You said they couldn't afford to give less than ten copies of a game away for free.

RoboPond: And also sending a email is not great as GOG will not have access to the thousands of personal emails of modders or access to Nexus's database.

I don't see how you expect all the modders to prepare for GOG's release of a new version and modified at that if they didn't know about it, and there is no way GOG could of let every modder know if they wanted to have you even seen Nexus?
I don't! I never wrote anything like that! Please read again. This is probably the last time that I respond to you ever. I said that I would have expected them to send information necessary to update the mod managers in advance if I wanted to advertise great mod support, but I also wrote that that issue will be fixed in (probably) a short time. Also, it's “could've” not “could of”. This discussion is pointless if you keep insisting that I wrote things that I clearly did not.

That's actually the first thing I wrote.
RoboPond: I never said servers will go offline.

And also sending a email is not great as GOG will not have access to the thousands of personal emails of modders or access to Nexus's database.

Edit:

richlind33: I would say that modders mod out of love for a game *and* a community, and a for-profit store isn't part of a game community, so it's disrespectful if GOG just assumed that the modders would help them out out of the goodness of their hearts.
RoboPond: Thats what I said and they will update their mods for the community.
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't make any assumptions one way or the other.
mk47at: You said they couldn't afford to give less than ten copies of a game away for free.

RoboPond: And also sending a email is not great as GOG will not have access to the thousands of personal emails of modders or access to Nexus's database.

mk47at: I don't! I never wrote anything like that! Please read again. This is probably the last time that I respond to you ever. I said that I would have expected them to send information necessary to update the mod managers in advance if I wanted to advertise great mod support, but I also wrote that that issue will be fixed in (probably) a short time. Also, it's “could've” not “could of”. This discussion is pointless if you keep insisting that I wrote things that I clearly did not.
Firstly I never said that so don't make me say I did.

Secondly the post I spec replied to from you was "Maybe. I thought it was about the missing notice about the changed paths to the mod manager authors. That's something that should have been prepared."

I replied to the specificly the "That's something that should have been prepared." part anything you said to somone else I didn't read. That sounds like you expected mod authors to know that GOG where going to release Skyrim and to be ready for it and for GOG to give them access or knowledge to the game before release which I said was silly.
Lodium: where do you get the number four from?
The mod manager developers. How many active projects are there? I never wrote anything about mods itself.
RoboPond: I don't see how you expect all the modders to prepare for GOG's release of a new version and modified at that if they didn't know about it, and there is no way GOG could of let every modder know if they wanted to have you even seen Nexus?
richlind33: GOG could get the word out to the Skyrim mod community if they wanted to. Seems like it was more important to keep it a big secret, which means longer waiting and hoping.
Uhm
Some of the gog staff posts kinda implys the realease was a suprise or was wery hard to keep secret
For something beiing a suprise it has to be a secret or known to wery few people
More people = bigger chance of leak = no suprise
RoboPond:
You quoted me writing “mod manager authors” again. So why do you think this is not about mod manager authors?
mk47at: You quoted me writing “mod manager authors” again. So why do you think this is not about mod manager authors?
Yes I just noticed that in your reply to someone else. I mis-read it and am sorry, and tbh now I now its managers kinda agree with you.
RoboPond:
mk47at: You quoted me writing “mod manager authors” again. So why do you think this is not about mod manager authors?
Mod manager authors coud have a ambiguous interpretation
but nvm i see that i misread you
Post edited October 02, 2022 by Lodium
richlind33: GOG could get the word out to the Skyrim mod community if they wanted to. Seems like it was more important to keep it a big secret, which means longer waiting and hoping.
Lodium: Uhm
Some of the gog staff posts kinda implys the realease was a suprise or was wery hard to keep secret
For something beiing a suprise it has to be a secret or known to wery few people
More people = bigger chance of leak = no suprise
If it's just the mod manager that's at issue it isn't that big of a deal, but are Skyrim mods universally compatible with Vortex v1.6.12? If they aren't, this isn't just about the mod manager.

Without canvassing Skyrim modders it isn't terribly ethical to just assume they'll update their mods for Vortex v1.6.12. Some will, some won't, for various reasons.
NuffCatnip: Except for mods dependant on SKSE, everything else works with a bit of tweaking.

Under C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition two text files are created after booting Skyrim for the first time: plugins.txt and loadorder.txt. After installing a mod, just copy-paste the file name into those .txt files.

For plugins.txt it's:
*mod_a.esp (the * indicates that the esp is activated)
*mod_b.esp

And for loadorder.txt just drop the file name into the .txt:
mod_a.esp
mod_b.esp

Pay attention to dependencies in the loadorder.txt.

After that you either copy paste those files into C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition GOG or you create those files in these folders directly.

It's rather disappointing, but wait for a month or two and most of those skse dependant mods should work (if the creators patch their mods). It is supbar to be honest, but it's better than nothing at all.

Texture mods for example, that don't have an .esp, should work without tinkering. You only have to drop the texture and meshes folders into the game directory under Data.

Edit: A mod manager like Vortex might help you, I lack any experience with those though.
bshwalker: Im really hoping they can figure something out. I'll be spending several days doing this before i can play.
*Edit*
I've tried MO2, Vortex and Wrye and none of them will load the mods into the game.
They all recognize the mods, but they won't load them.
The most interesting thing that I can see is that Wrye Bash recognizes and gives the green light to all of my mods, but the base game and all DLCs are red.
When I hover over the red lines it says-
"Plugin is missing string localization files. Master plugin. Active in load order."
According Wrye, the problem isnt with mods, its with the game.
The game always starts but its vanilla. Somehow there is something in Skyrim SE GOG version that is blocking the ability to read mods.
Is that what your talking about?
Vortex is working fine for me, and I have been playing skyrim while I wait for the SKSE mods to be updated. I'd be happy to try to help you get in the game yourself. There are a few things that can be affecting how your mods load, the first of which is where is skyrim installed? It if is c:\Program Files\GOG Games\, then elevated permissions are required to write in the Program Files tree, and it would be best to move it to another folder. You say that the mods are not being loaded, does it give an error message?

A lot of my problems using Wrye Bash were solved by a workaround, which involved getting everything set in Vortex, ans then copying the files from "%appdata%\local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG" back to "%appdata%\local\Skyrim Special Edition", the loadorder.txt and pluginfiles.txt, to allow Wrye Bash to get the plugins and the load order correct. Once the bash patch is done, go back to vortex and make sure it is enabled.

Once the author(s) of Wrye Bash add support to the GOG edition, then this will no longer be needed, but for the moment it acts as a emulation layer allowing Wrye Bash to work as designed.

Modding Skyrim has always been a labor of love, and we need to wait for SKSE, PapyrusUtils, CBPC RaceMenu, and FSMP authors to compile their plugins for the new version. Realistically, we are asking them to support another edition of Skyrim, so be patient and let them know you appreciate their work!

So, back to helping you, what error messages do you get from Vortex? That would really narrow down the problem.

Be safe and have a great day!