It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
Kikisama: GOG writes: As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer.

And practice shows: No mods work. Great...

GOG: Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Even smoother than nothing.

I'm really frustrated. GOG should better write that you can only use the vanilla version.
NuffCatnip: Except for mods dependant on SKSE, everything else works with a bit of tweaking.

Under C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition two text files are created after booting Skyrim for the first time: plugins.txt and loadorder.txt. After installing a mod, just copy-paste the file name into those .txt files.

For plugins.txt it's:
*mod_a.esp (the * indicates that the esp is activated)
*mod_b.esp

And for loadorder.txt just drop the file name into the .txt:
mod_a.esp
mod_b.esp

Pay attention to dependencies in the loadorder.txt.

After that you either copy paste those files into C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition GOG or you create those files in these folders directly.

It's rather disappointing, but wait for a month or two and most of those skse dependant mods should work (if the creators patch their mods). It is supbar to be honest, but it's better than nothing at all.

Texture mods for example, that don't have an .esp, should work without tinkering. You only have to drop the texture and meshes folders into the game directory under Data.

Edit: A mod manager like Vortex might help you, I lack any experience with those though.
Im really hoping they can figure something out. I'll be spending several days doing this before i can play.
*Edit*
I've tried MO2, Vortex and Wrye and none of them will load the mods into the game.
They all recognize the mods, but they won't load them.
The most interesting thing that I can see is that Wrye Bash recognizes and gives the green light to all of my mods, but the base game and all DLCs are red.
When I hover over the red lines it says-
"Plugin is missing string localization files. Master plugin. Active in load order."
According Wrye, the problem isnt with mods, its with the game.
The game always starts but its vanilla. Somehow there is something in Skyrim SE GOG version that is blocking the ability to read mods.
Is that what your talking about?
Post edited October 02, 2022 by bshwalker
I originally bought Skyrim at launch for the PS3. There was some fun moments, but the game was such an unstable mess at the time, crashing frequently. When it got to the point where the hard drive got corrupted, I quit playing altogether.

Now that Skyrim is now available on GOG, I decided to give it a second chance. It seems like Skyrim is in a much better shape than it was 10 years ago.

Hopefully, the release of Skyrim is a sign that we might get Fallout 4 as well.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by SpaceMadness
I just purchased Skyrim (at a cheaper price during a sale) about three weeks ago in that other site.

I gave up hopes of getting it on GOG. And then... Suprise!!

Thanks GOG. Much appreciated... and an instabuy from me.
GOG.com: ...Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.
After my recent tries with mods and this Wunderkind Vortex and its modding compilations I fully on board with expecting more details soon...

A "rollback" to a somewhat older version Gog never had to make use of all these great mods maybe?

"The most modded title in history" at least on Nexus is Skyrim; not the different new standalone Skyrim AE / SE version that followed that one. And even there Gogs AE/SE version is even more special than Steams so even less mods work with that.

So yes. You are not lying Gog. I really do expect details about how you tackle that.
I'm sure that the mod manager situation will be improved by the respective authors in a reasonable time frame.

What I'm not so sure is if we will get access to the Creation Kit.
Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised, and if necessary hold off until it does, seeing as how the game is terrible without mods. It's not like GOG couldn't get volunteers to do that, if they gave a rip.
richlind33: Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised (…)
For someone that has been around here as long as you, you sound like you don't know how things happen.
richlind33: Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised, and if necessary hold off until it does, seeing as how the game is terrible without mods. It's not like GOG couldn't get volunteers to do that, if they gave a rip.
This idea that "some mods haven't updated to the latest patch yet" means Bethesda or GOG did something wrong is insane. Just crazy talk, honestly.

P.S. The vast majority play without mods, and Bethesda got their mainstream success through Oblivion on 360 which had zero mods capability, FYI. Skyrim on 360 didn't have any either.
StingingVelvet: This idea that "some mods haven't updated to the latest patch yet" means Bethesda or GOG did something wrong is insane. Just crazy talk, honestly.
Maybe. I thought it was about the missing notice about the changed paths to the mod manager authors. That's something that should have been prepared.
mk47at: Maybe. I thought it was about the missing notice about the changed paths to the mod manager authors. That's something that should have been prepared.
And how would you say mod creators do that seeing as they had no idea GOG was going to release Skyrim let alone change paths? The only people that knew where GOG, Bethesda, Nexus & SKSE Team.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by RoboPond
richlind33: Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised, and if necessary hold off until it does, seeing as how the game is terrible without mods. It's not like GOG couldn't get volunteers to do that, if they gave a rip.
StingingVelvet: This idea that "some mods haven't updated to the latest patch yet" means Bethesda or GOG did something wrong is insane. Just crazy talk, honestly.

P.S. The vast majority play without mods, and Bethesda got their mainstream success through Oblivion on 360 which had zero mods capability, FYI. Skyrim on 360 didn't have any either.
Does GOG know if the modders are going to update their mods for this edition, or did they assume that they would? If they don't know for sure they shouldn't enticingly dangle the possibility at the consumer. And why should the modders be expected to update their mods? Are they getting anything out of it?
RoboPond: And how would you say mod creators do that seeing as they had no idea GOG was going to release Skyrim let alone change paths? The only people that knew where GOG, Bethesda, Nexus & SKSE Team.
What? Sorry, I'm confused. Please read what I wrote. To paraphrase: They should have notified them in advance.

Why wouldn't they known if they had been informed?
mk47at: What? Sorry, I'm confused. Please read what I wrote. To paraphrase: They should have notified them in advance.

Why wouldn't they known if they had been informed?
It wasn't clear to me that thats whay you ment. But even so GOG can't be giving free Skyrim copies to all mod creators thats just silly. Most mods will get updated over time, along with managers just have to wait.

I do think that they should of handled it better though more so with the Anniversary edition as the descriptions for certain mods still say toactivate it in game, and there is no way to do do that. They should of had a way to activate them in game or easier than editing ini files before releasing it.

Edit:

richlind33: And why should the modders be expected to update their mods? Are they getting anything out of it?
Why should they? Mods are created for the love of the game if they expect anything out of it then thats why Beth created CC (they get paid.)
Post edited October 02, 2022 by RoboPond
richlind33: Since this is such a monumental release for GOG you'd think they would have playtested it to be sure that it works as advertised (…)
mk47at: For someone that has been around here as long as you, you sound like you don't know how things happen.
I know that people who don't demand accountability invariably get shat on.
I never played a Elder Scrolls title before. Do I need to or can Skyrim be enjoyed on its own?

Also, would you say this game is comparable to Witcher 3? I ask because I loved Witcher 3, and was wondering if Skyrim could be up my alley too.

EDIT: just to clarify, the comparision with Witcher 3 is more along the lines of engaging story, great characters and type of quests.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by bluethief