It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
GOG writes: As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer.

And practice shows: No mods work. Great...

GOG: Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Even smoother than nothing.

I'm really frustrated. GOG should better write that you can only use the vanilla version.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by Kikisama
high rated
Kikisama: GOG writes: As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer.

And practice shows: No mods work. Great...

GOG: Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Even smoother than nothing.

I'm really frustrated. GOG should better write that you can only use the vanilla version.
Except for mods dependant on SKSE, everything else works with a bit of tweaking.

Under C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition two text files are created after booting Skyrim for the first time: plugins.txt and loadorder.txt. After installing a mod, just copy-paste the file name into those .txt files.

For plugins.txt it's:
*mod_a.esp (the * indicates that the esp is activated)
*mod_b.esp

And for loadorder.txt just drop the file name into the .txt:
mod_a.esp
mod_b.esp

Pay attention to dependencies in the loadorder.txt.

After that you either copy paste those files into C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition GOG or you create those files in these folders directly.

It's rather disappointing, but wait for a month or two and most of those skse dependant mods should work (if the creators patch their mods). It is supbar to be honest, but it's better than nothing at all.

Texture mods for example, that don't have an .esp, should work without tinkering. You only have to drop the texture and meshes folders into the game directory under Data.

Edit: A mod manager like Vortex might help you, I lack any experience with those though.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by NuffCatnip
NuffCatnip: Except for mods dependant on SKSE, everything else works with a bit of tweaking.

Under C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition two text files are created after booting Skyrim for the first time: plugins.txt and loadorder.txt. After installing a mod, just copy-paste the file name into those .txt files.

For plugins.txt it's:
*mod_b.esp

mod_a.esp
mod_b.esp

After that you either copy paste those files into C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\\Skyrim Special Edition GOG or you create those files in these folders directly.

It's rather disappointing, but wait for a month or two and most of those skse dependant mods should work (if the creators patch their mods). It is supbar to be honest, but it's better than nothing at all.

Texture mods for example, that don't have an .esp, should work without tinkering. You only have to drop the texture and meshes folders into the game directory under Data.

Edit: A mod manager like Vortex might help you, I lack any experience with those though.
Why would SKSE mods not functions? Have the calls and functions changed? SKSE didn't work because of the exe addresses not being exact due to a new .exe. The mods themselves shouldn't need to look at any of that, as long as SKSE is enabling the calls and functions in its API.
ConsulCaesar: Assassin's Creed 2, 3... when?

;)
deusexhr: Mass effect too.
And the Half-Life series too, why not? Oh, and since we're at it... Age of Empires and Mythology too!

:D
Well now... this is really a surprise. Will gladly pick this up!
Please keep more "big" games like this coming ;-)
DesertRose92: The product description says it features "game version rollback".
Anyone knows if you can switch back to version 1.5.97 (pre AE update)? Many mods still require the SE (SKSE) version.
There is a downgrade mod that works to do this, and you need the version of SKSE for 1.5.97 if you do so. The GOG version will obviously not work with that downgrade.
NuffCatnip: Except for mods dependant on SKSE, everything else works with a bit of tweaking.

For plugins.txt it's:
*mod_b.esp

mod_a.esp
mod_b.esp

paladin181: Why would SKSE mods not functions? Have the calls and functions changed? SKSE didn't work because of the exe addresses not being exact due to a new .exe. The mods themselves shouldn't need to look at any of that, as long as SKSE is enabling the calls and functions in its API.
Don't know, every enabled mod that uses skse opens a warning on startup, mentioning that the dll of said mod is outdated (iirc, uninstalled the game for the time being as I need space on my drives).

Never tinkered with a hex editor so I woudn't know what to look for within the dll to fix the issue.
Maybe 'all you have to do' is change a dependancy, but that is nothing but a guess/speculation, I have no clue how the .dll's reference skse or how it works. :P
Post edited October 02, 2022 by NuffCatnip
NuffCatnip: Don't know, every enabled mod that uses skse opens a warning on startup, mentioning that the dll of said mod is outdated (iirc, uninstalled the game for the time being as I need space on my drives).

Never tinkered with a hex editor so I woudn't know what to look for within the dll to fix the issue.
Cool. Good to know. Maybe with one mod getting the .dll, you can use it for the others because that should be pretty universal as it should just be an API .dll.

I'll have to look into it, but SKSE comes with a API .dll, so it may be that you can replace the one with the mod with the one with SKSE, but again, I'll have to check.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by paladin181
Better late than never I guess.
pferreira1983: Better late than never I guess.
11 years is a little too late, I think

XD
J Lo: 11 years is a little too late, I think

XD
Hey at least they tried! Ha, ha!

XD
People wanted Good old games again.

XD
Considering it was originally released on 11/11/11, I think the GOG release timing is spot-on if not actually early. ;)
Post edited October 02, 2022 by P-E-S
DesertRose92: The product description says it features "game version rollback".
Anyone knows if you can switch back to version 1.5.97 (pre AE update)? Many mods still require the SE (SKSE) version.
Technically, and legally (also), you can

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

Do note, on GOG you can only go back to the absolute first version they released with that rollback feature in Galaxy.

DesertRose92: What version is "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition"?
1.5.97 or 1.6.XXX?
In short, both.

Skyrim SE is 64bit executable, unlike LE which was limited to 32bit.

Anniversary Edition is exactly like Second Edition today, they are the exact same game version. 1.5.97 was just the last version before Bethesda started to include some Content Creation Club mods as an upgrade into something called AE.

On GOG they are listed as Skyrim SE (1.6.659...) and AE as an upgrade (which includes these CCC mods).

EDIT: And if you're thinking about SKSE version? Just go with the latest version you have installed. AE/SE 1.6.659.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by sanscript

XD
P-E-S: Considering it was originally released on 11/11/11, I think the GOG release timing is spot-on if not actually early. ;)
Wow, does the date have some mysterious meaning?