It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.

So, is there any way I can transfer my installation to a different folder without using Steam? And if so, then how is that done, exactly?
Wo-o-ow... khm...

TLDR - reinstall everything to X:\Games\ . In future, avoid using C: drive for gaming\games.

Redownload GOG galaxy installer, Remove Galaxy and GOG Games entirely, clean folders and WinRegisrty from it.
Create folder D:\Games\GOG\Galaxy\
and X:\Games\
run new downloaded installer as admin from X\Downloads\ folder (also make sure to uncheck this files downloaded and potentially harmfull from exe file properties) and install it to path above.

Start GOG Galaxy as admin set up it (downloads-temps and games folder to X:\Games\). Relaunch it without admin and check if correct settings are still there. To install game from client you need admin rights again - relaunch client as admin (it not needed later to just play games from Games folder, but for install and games first launch).
Install game from client and verify game files twice-third in a row (cause Galaxy always redownload some redists-configs and not tell you which ones).
Start game directly from Galaxy (cause you run it as admin before) to finish installation.
Relaunch then without admin rights.

Now game is DRM-free and not need admin rights, if it still in \Games\ folder.

This is all only for GOG Galaxy client and GOGGalaxy version build. There is also standard GOG ver builds - compeltely offline installers.
You also can add them to Galaxy, with soemthign similar in instruction.

Or you can skip Galaxy entirely. Just redownlaod offline isntallers and start it as admin (check digital signature is OK in exe file preferencies, do NOT uncheck validation check during installation setup). Install game to X:\Games\The-Elder-Scrolls-5\ -- no system foldrs, drives root, non-latin letters spaces and "_" and any special symbols.
For first time start game as admin, or press launch button when installation finished (as installer been in adminmode - game also started as admin).

Again, when you remove older installations, make sure you delete old game folder, and especially game folder from .\My Documents\.

After first launch (eg from installer) - you can relaunch game without admin and usually it not needed for games.

If you usually use system folders for games - there is a lot of game related fiels in VirtualStore fodler in C:\Users\...\ and somewhere deep in WinRegistry -> HKCU\... .
Post edited October 02, 2022 by QWEEDDYZ
What version is "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition"?
1.5.97 or 1.6.XXX?
DesertRose92: What version is "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition"?
1.5.97 or 1.6.XXX?
GOGDB lists it as 1.6.659.0.8
Kikisama: I have big problems with the mods :( I last played Skyrim SE in early 2020 via Steam, modded with the Nexus Mod Manager. Everything works great. I tried modding the GOG version with Vortex. Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer I installed together with BodySlide. The skin textures are missing. RaceMenu is also installed. When I open it in game, only the normal character editor opens. Other mods that worked perfectly back then don't work either. I do not understand that. I was really looking forward to the release of GOG but nothing works at all.

Can someone give me a tip why the mods are not working?

I also liked the old Nexus Mod Manager a lot better than Vortex.
Regardless of whether you like it or not, Nexus Mod Manager has always been pretty bad and nowadays it's not just bad, it's unsupported. Vortex is the most mainstream manager of this day by the same authors, but it's not that better and very restrictive for the sake of noob-friendliness which ends up backfiring and making it cumbersome to use properly, so I'd advise you to use Mod Organizer 2 instead.
GOG is definitely getting better. It's a time of some sort of renewal with all these new releases and general better mantainance, smoother interface, etc.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I have now ran into another problem with modding this game: one of the essential key mods upon which many other mods depend is FNIS.

But everyone says FNIS should be not be used if the game is installed in the Program Files x86 folder, even though that is the folder where I install all of my GOG games to and I never had a problem with doing that until now.

When I look up guides online about how to transfer my installation and mods of Skyrim to a different folder, they all have instructions based on using Steam to accomplish that task, which is not an acceptable solution to me.

So, is there any way I can transfer my installation to a different folder without using Steam? And if so, then how is that done, exactly?

I wish someone would have told me about this problem before I installed the game.
Aside from the already given above advice of never installing games you intend to mod (or rather any games) in the Program Files folder, there's absolutely no reason to use FNIS in 2022. Use Nemesis instead, and even though old mods made for FNIS work fine with Nemesis (both tools do very similar things, Nemesis just does it better) always prefer newer mods made with and for Nemesis.
Waganari: Skyrim, when?

Oh, wait... this no longer works! o_0
WinterSnowfall: I dare say we can replace it with "Civ 5, when?" now :).
That's what I'm talking about!
V-Holder: there's absolutely no reason to use FNIS in 2022. Use Nemesis instead, and even though old mods made for FNIS work fine with Nemesis (both tools do very similar things, Nemesis just does it better) always prefer newer mods made with and for Nemesis.
So if I don't use FNIS, then would I still have problems if I maintain my current installation in the Program Files x86 folder? I intend to install hundreds of mods.

But transferring the game to a new folder and reinstalling all the mods that I had already installed would be a major pain that I'd rather avoid if possible.

It seems like the relatively seamless procedure that I've seen people making guide videos and posts about, for transferring the Steam version and its mods to another location, does not have any equivalent alternative option without using Steam (unless there is an obscure solution that I don't know about)...but it sure would be nice if there was such a thing.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
You know, GOG, just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Still wanna go to Aspen???
This is big *ss news.
Now by the gods, give us the Dark Souls trilogy too, Dragon's Dogma is waiting for it!
WinterSnowfall: I dare say we can replace it with "Civ 5, when?" now :).
ConsulCaesar: Assassin's Creed 2, 3... when?

;)
Mass effect too.
The product description says it features "game version rollback".
Anyone knows if you can switch back to version 1.5.97 (pre AE update)? Many mods still require the SE (SKSE) version.
DesertRose92: The product description says it features "game version rollback".
Anyone knows if you can switch back to version 1.5.97 (pre AE update)? Many mods still require the SE (SKSE) version.
No you can't.
Silverhawk170485: I have one problem. I cant figure out how to change the language to german.
Any help?
RBWolfgun: On the game page, next to the "play" button there is a button with two sliders, click it and go to "manage installation" and then "configure", there you can change the language
I use the offline installer. But I already figured out how to edit the .ini file. ;)
Oh, this is a nice release. Thanks, GOG!

I last played Skyrim when the original version came out . Now I just have to wait for the 24GB to download so that I can yell at Lydia again. :)