It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
Anniversary Edition is on page 53 of 97 bestselling all-time (hiding DLC). Special Edition is on page 55.
tfishell: Anniversary Edition is on page 53 of 97 bestselling all-time (hiding DLC). Special Edition is on page 55.
Not bad for a store front with over 5,000 games.
tfishell: Anniversary Edition is on page 53 of 97 bestselling all-time (hiding DLC). Special Edition is on page 55.
J Lo: Not bad for a store front with over 5,000 games.
tbh I expected it to be higher, but it has been only a few days and I'm guessing quite a few games rise the ranks at really deep discounts and regular sales.
J Lo: Not bad for a store front with over 5,000 games.
tfishell: tbh I expected it to be higher, but it has been only a few days and I'm guessing quite a few games rise the ranks at really deep discounts and regular sales.
I would expect there to be another surge in sales right before the discount ends.
sanscript: There's never been a need for Steam Workshop.

There's Nexus, afkmods and moddb (and plenty of others).
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But what about mods that aren't on those other places, and that are only on Steam Workshop?

So it would seem that BmB has a valid point, and he has pointed out "the catch" with these GOG releases of Skyrim, the major things that GOG customers will be deprived of in relation to this Skyrim game.
Steam Workshop has not been relevant in the discussion ever since SE which did not had Steam Workshop support to begin with.

Ancient-Red-Dragon: I personally don't know what exactly is out there that players can't get elsewhere, since I currently have no familiarity with this game or its history. But probably people who are aware of those things could point to specific examples of things that will be inaccessible to GOG customers.

Whether it's a problem with the mods creator or not is a moot point, because at the end of the day, GOG customers still be unable to access those mods, regardless of whom the fault for that lies with.
Lodium: Generally the other places are better than steam
the workshop in steam goes against the spirit of why mods was created many years ago annyway in my opinion
and not alot people realize this
How exactly, tho?

Like, what was with the Workshop that was going against any Mod Spirit?
Post edited October 01, 2022 by Zetikla
is the normal version of skyrim on gog contains the dragonborn and vampire lord DLC or will I have to buy the upgrade too?
I can't find this data, so if any of you already installed the offline version (without the upgrade) please tell me
shut up and take ma moolah, now!!!!
LiefLayer: most mods should already work, skse was updated yesterday.
the only thing missing is the kit to create new mods.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: This quoted statement is incongruent with my experience.

After many dozens of failed attempts, Vortex Manger finally correctly installed the SKSE into my GOG version of Skyrim.

But then when I loaded Skyrim using the SKSE exe, then this message comes up:

You are using a newer version of Skyrim than this version of SKSE64 supports.
If this version just came out, please be patient while we update our code.
In the meantime, please check http://skse.silverlock.org for updates.
Do not email about this!
Runtime: 1.6.659
SKSE64: 2.2.2
Ancient-Red-Dragon: So with that being so, how is it possible that some of you are saying you are making SKSE mods work already with the GOG version?

Also, what's the ETA on when the GOG version might have SKSE support that works?
I do not use vortex, I install everything manually, no problem at all for me.
https://skse.silverlock.org/
There is even a build for the gog version so that nothing can go wrong.

DarkeningDemise: Shocker Bethesda had to Bethesda this release with no Creation Kit. I have to own Steam and the Steam version of the game to get the Steam version of the Creation Kit to mod GOG version of Skyrim. Logic! >.<
That's the most missing thing on the gog release. I still got it on gog since I don't make mods but I think gog should try to get it here.

LiefLayer: ...
DropA: The Skyrim Legendary is not just about the older hardware. The Legendary offers a completely different gameplay experience than the Special Edition. The original Skyrim was kind of "gray on gray", partly with a lot of "drab" colors and unique weather. In contrast, look at the Special Edition with its bright and cluttered colors and Smurf-blue skies. It doesn't have much in common with the original Skyrim. Sure: the game is still the same - but the atmosphere is completely different.

I use in the Special Edition this Mods for the Legendary-Feeling:
- Skyrim Legendary Weathers
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16725/
- Skyrim Distant Blur
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/40873/
Together with:
- Pouring Rain
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6077/
I usually don't mind the look of the game too much... Still you got a solution with mods so I think it's safe to say that it is better to have this version on gog than to have only the old version. Of course if they can get both that's great too. But like I said I think the real missing piece is the creation kit before anything else, that's part of the game for most people.
cybddr: is the normal version of skyrim on gog contains the dragonborn and vampire lord DLC or will I have to buy the upgrade too?
I can't find this data, so if any of you already installed the offline version (without the upgrade) please tell me
There's no such thing as "vampire lord DLC", you probably mean Dawnguard.
All expansions (DLCs) are included in all GOG versions.
cybddr: is the normal version of skyrim on gog contains the dragonborn and vampire lord DLC
Yes the Special Edition includes Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn DLC's.
Silverhawk170485: I have one problem. I cant figure out how to change the language to german.
Any help?
On the game page, next to the "play" button there is a button with two sliders, click it and go to "manage installation" and then "configure", there you can change the language
Not worth playing this version right now, too many mods aren't compatible with the gog version of skse, I'll wait for a month or two.
Waisted hours sifting through mods on the Nesxus. :/
Somebody help i bought special edition but to mod it properly SKSE says i need anniversary edition...The game behaves like I need anniversary edition or SKSE loader for special edition does not work. But it requires special edition for the mods im so lost! ((I used back-up offline installers)
Nicole28: Hoping for Fallout 4 next. Take note GOG. :D
I hope with you! Fallout 4 is great too.

LiefLayer: I usually don't mind the look of the game too much... Still you got a solution with mods so I think it's safe to say that it is better to have this version on gog than to have only the old version. Of course if they can get both that's great too. But like I said I think the real missing piece is the creation kit before anything else, that's part of the game for most people.
The Special Edition of Skyrim is, despite mods, unfortunately not a replacement for the Legendary because technisxh too different.

Unfortunately, I also miss the Creation Kit a lot here on GOG and that's what I wanted to say with my "Mr. Spock saying" (previous page). Hopefully it didn't come across wrong. The CK is a very important part of a Skyrim release. The game lives after all much by itself and by mods.
Post edited October 01, 2022 by DropA
toupz111: Somebody help i bought special edition but to mod it properly SKSE says i need anniversary edition...The game behaves like I need anniversary edition or SKSE loader for special edition does not work. But it requires special edition for the mods im so lost! ((I used back-up offline installers)
The SkyrimSE.exe is the same for both GOG versions, so that is not the problem.
If you installed SKSE with Vortex Mod manager, it probably just didn't install it properly.
Just put skse64_loader.exe and skse64_1_6_659.dll in the Skyrim Special Edition folder, and the scripts folder in the Skyrim Special Edition/data folder, and start the game with skse_loader.exe