It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
mk47at: Yes, but that does not help the main problem at all, since the animation indicates that you have hit. So what you see is really wrong.
that's just how RPG usually work... the animation is always the same, while you can see something like a log or a sound when you miss... I don't mind that kind of stuff.
I actually think that's better that hitting just because your weapon touch the enemy... It's not an FPS, no reason for something like that.
AAARRRRGGGH!

Finaly.

TES V was the reason why I created a steam account. :'/
dtgreene: Just be aware that Morrowind does have its quirks. For example:
* The game uses an invisible dice roll to determine whether your attacks hit. Hence, you can be facing an enemy, right in front of it, swing your weapon, and the dice could decide that you miss this time. Unfortunately, there's no feedback given when this happens, as opposed to your attack simply not colliding. (There are ways to increase your chance of hitting, the most obvious being to raise your weapon skill.)
* The game does not attempt to remain balanced. In particular, the game does not pose any resistance to being exploited. If you find something that looks like it might be exploitable, it probably is. (For example, there's no reasonable limit on how powerful a potion can get, so using Fortify Intelligence/Luck potions can allow you to break the game by boosting your stats exponentially.)
* Like every other main series TES game, the game is filled with bugs. Some things may not work as you'd expect, and the game does sometimes crash, so be prepared for that. (Remember: Save early, often, and in multiple slots.) Note that there are some mods (and even an engine rewrite) that try to address this.
LiefLayer: About the bugs I used OpenMW to play it without a problem. While I have to say that I actually think the first two points as positive... I love that you can exploit a game if you know where to look and how to move, that's part of the fun for me, explore all possibilities and be awarded for your effort. And I like the dice roll... I think that's more RPG-like style of combat system.
The thing with the dice roll is that you have a game that has the look and feel of a first-person action game, and therefore a player will expect the game to play like an action game. That, combined with the lack of feedback, can be confusing to players who aren't expecting this behavior.

If the game would have enemies show a blocking animation when the game rolls a miss, the situation would be a lot clearer, and easier for a new player to understand. (One game I've played, the Nintendo DS Fighting Fantasy game, does this.)

Another problem with Morrowind's approach is that, if your attack misses, you get no skill experience, which can make it rather frustrating to raise a low level weapon skill without paying a trainer. (Wizardry 8 handled this situation much better, but then again, Wizardry 8's turn-based combat with a combat log means players are expecting the dice roll behavior, whereas Morrowiind has the look and feel of a game that doesn't use dice rolls, yet it does.)

By the way, it is worth noting that Arena and Daggerfall also use dice rolls to determine if attacks hit or miss. It's only Oblivion and Skyrim which use a pure collision-based system, with weapon skill instead influencing the damage attacks that connect do.

One closing statement: The points you mention may be positive for many players, but said players should still know about those points so they know what to expect. If you go into a game expecting it to behave one way, but the game actually behaves very differently, it can be very confusing and frustrating for the new player. So yes, feel free to enjoy the game's dice roll combat and exploitability (but watch out for crashes and softlocks), now that you know about it.

mk47at: Yes, but that does not help the main problem at all, since the animation indicates that you have hit. So what you see is really wrong.
LiefLayer: that's just how RPG usually work... the animation is always the same, while you can see something like a log or a sound when you miss... I don't mind that kind of stuff.
I actually think that's better that hitting just because your weapon touch the enemy... It's not an FPS, no reason for something like that.
I think the blocking animation is the best solution here.

Of course, one could take the Secret of Evermore approach, where, when your attack collides but your attack roll indicates a miss, the word "Miss!" pops up over the enemy (instead of a damage number). (Just make sure that the German translation uses the correct word, rather than the word that means "young lady"; yes, there's one game where this actually happened.)
Post edited September 30, 2022 by dtgreene
Quick question. I was so excited to see this, added it to my cart, then saw there is a special and anniversay edition. I just want to ensure I have this correct. (I can not think straight for Gog pulling this mircale.)

Special Edition is the orginal game + DLCs Windows 7-11
Anniversay Edition is original game + DLCs +Mods support Windows 7-10 (11 not supported)

I aski, as the descriptions of the Special Edition said 24 GB, and the Anniversay one said 12 GB.

I could have read it wrong To excited right now to think clearly.
Post edited September 30, 2022 by Stryder2931
dtgreene: I think the blocking animation is the best solution here.
Yes, but it's technically not possible since the hit/no hit decision is made too late to play the correct animation. The discussion has come up in the OpenMW forums several times.
Stryder2931: I could have read it wrong To excited right now to think clearly.
No.

Both contain the same base game including the original DLCs. The difference is the previously Creators Club contents added as a new DLC.
Post edited September 30, 2022 by mk47at
Stryder2931: Quick question. I was so excited to see this, added it to my cart, then saw there is a special and anniversay edition. I just want to ensure I have this correct. (I can not think straight for Gog pulling this mircale.)

Special Edition is the orginal game + DLCs
Anniversay Edition is original game + DLCs +Mods support

I aski, as the descriptions of the Special Edition said 24 GB, and the Anniversay one said 12 GB.

actually both support mods. the anniversary edition is just a preinstalled collection of mods from the creation club (here on gog you will find a offline installer instead of a login ingame menu).
both are the special edtion (64-bit edition of the game, the original version was 32-bit and it's not on gog).
right now the only problem is with same mods like
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705?tab=posts
that expect a version of the game that is not what is on gog (they had to change the exe to delete the ingame menu with log in creation club).
most mods should already work, skse was updated yesterday.
the only thing missing is the kit to create new mods.
Stryder2931: Quick question. I was so excited to see this, added it to my cart, then saw there is a special and anniversay edition. I just want to ensure I have this correct. (I can not think straight for Gog pulling this mircale.)

Special Edition is the orginal game + DLCs
Anniversay Edition is original game + DLCs +Mods support

LiefLayer: actually both support mods. the anniversary edition is just a preinstalled collection of mods from the creation club (here on gog you will find a offline installer instead of a login ingame menu).
both are the special edtion (64-bit edition of the game, the original version was 32-bit and it's not on gog).
right now the only problem is with same mods like
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705?tab=posts
that expect a version of the game that is not what is on gog (they had to change the exe to delete the ingame menu with log in creation club).
most mods should already work, skse was updated yesterday.
the only thing missing is the kit to create new mods.
Great explanation. Thank you so much!!
I am trying to install the script extender using the Vortex Mod Manager, and then Vortex opens the Silverlock website, and then select the file on the Silverlock website which is called "Current GOG Anniversary Edition build 2.2.2 (game version 1.6.659): Download 7z File"...which seems to be the only correct file that I could possibly choose.

But when I actually do select that file, then immediately afterwards, Vortex pops up an error message that says: "Script extender mismatch. Looks like you selected the wrong file. Please try again."

Except that the same error keeps happening again every time I re-try.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and how to fix this problem?
Post edited September 30, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
I like all 3 of them but Morrowind is the most RPG, Skyrim is an open world action adventure rpg and Oblviion blends in between.

I would like the true rpg mechanics become more porminent again and i will not buy the next TES until it is proven good after Fallout 4 failed me so bad and each TES is less rpg.

Starfield - i like SF and i have backed both Elite and Star Citizen but i knew Star Citizen would probably never be released as i also knew Freelancer and its history so i never spend more than the basic pledge but that they still not have released SQ42 is beyond ludicrous - so if it is any good even with weak RPG i may buy it but if it is only Fallout 4 in Space i will stay away.

And if the World still has life in 20 years and GOG still is there for us i may buy it here again...
Post edited September 30, 2022 by Thorqemada
Wow, what a lovely surprise! Even though it is not my cup of tea, I'm actually very happy for all the folks who waited so long for this game to arrive here.

Now, Bethesda & GOG, can you show some love for RAGE series and Doom 2016, pretty please? :)
I have one problem. I cant figure out how to change the language to german.
Any help?
DD & Ji Ji: off topic: Which one is better ( longest , most content ) Morrowind , Oblivion , Skyrim ?
Out of the choices you offer, The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind

For RPGness, though, Daggerfall is better than Morrowind.

Modability, the 4CD physical release of Morrowind GOTY is always best, as you get direct access to all the necessary object content files to craft your own mods right from the start. No need to extract all of that content from the source data files, as is the case with the single DVD and digital download versions of Morrowind GOTY, and all releases of Oblivion.
Question for those who’ve bought the anniversary package: can individual items/quests/ mechanics easily be turned off or is it an all- or- nothing affair? While some of the additions sound like they might be fun, others don’t interest me at all. So if I was forced for everything to be turned on it’d be a pass for me.
P-E-S: Question for those who’ve bought the anniversary package: can individual items/quests/ mechanics easily be turned off or is it an all- or- nothing affair? While some of the additions sound like they might be fun, others don’t interest me at all. So if I was forced for everything to be turned on it’d be a pass for me.
well I think you can just remove them from the
Skyrim Anniversary Edition\Data
folder.
And this reddit topic
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/qri1aj/how_to_get_rid_of_anniversary_edition_mods/
say this is possible (first answer by Catslevania).

I think that's the best way to do it.
this is neat and all but OMG just give us doom 2016 & doom eternal already(as well as the quake remastered...)!
Post edited October 01, 2022 by Death_Masta187