It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's time to celebrate the 14 years of making games last forever. We're doing that by releasing one of the most anticipated games by the community – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The game is widely considered one of the best video games of all time and has received credit for popularizing large open-world role-playing games. After many requests from our users and being released on almost every appliance that is able to run the game, the acclaimed RPG is available on GOG in two versions – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (-50%) and Special Edition (-67%).

It is worth mentioning that Skyrim on GOG comes with a dedicated build, to give users the best possible adventure in Tamriel. The game is entirely playable offline thanks to GOG’s DRM-free nature and gives users the Anniversary Edition content without the need for Creation Club access.

As the game is recognized as one of the most modded titles in the history of video games, support for community-created content in Skyrim was one of our top priorities. The GOG version is compatible out of the box with most modifications mods via Nexus Mods Vortex v1.6.12 and newer. Support for mods requiring Skyrim Script Extender will be added later today. Additionally, GOG is preparing something special to provide an even smoother experience with mods – expect more details soon.

Take the chance to travel to Tamriel before the discounts on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim editions end on 13th October, 10 PM UTC. Also, join us in celebration of the 14th GOG Anniversary which will last until October 9th, 2022, at 10 PM UTC.
kai2: Whether Anniversary Edition and Creation Club is worth it vs simply modding Special Edition? I can't say.

Anyone have ideas on that? What's better IYO...

Special Edition or Anniversary?
It may sound like a lot in AE version but it's not worth it. Fishing and Camping only work on certain places and is severely limited, and the rest is just lazy work, Just go with SE and mod it the way you want it.

CC content should be buried alive. And no, graphically there are no difference between SE and AE.

[url=https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Creation_Club]https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Creation_Club[/url]
Post edited September 29, 2022 by sanscript
I think this qualifies for the most anticipated game ever and longest wait ever for a game on GOG :-).
This is tremendous news. Good to see GOG putting out some big ticket releases recently.
Mods are still locked by Steam Workshop DRM
not DRM free
Weird selection of screenshots on the product page. Of the eight (count 'em!) images, only two include any creatures (and one of those two is rather mundane); the other six are basically landscape shots.

sennarc:
I wholeheartedly agree!
Well done, GOG!
OP1: I have never played Skyrim before but compared to Morrowind and Oblivion it seems like the only thing going for it is better graphics. Nothing else really.
And new mechanics.

For example, there's a perk system, where you can get one perk per level. (And if you run out of levels to gain, there's a way around that that involves resetting one of your skills.)

There's a new mechanic for strengthening weapons (and armor?), which takes the place of the old durability mechanic.

Also, of course, a new* setting, filled with mountains and snow.

* Not technically new, since you could visit Skyrim in Arena (and, in fact, doing so is required to complete the main quest), but certainly more fleshed out, and in a later time period.
high rated
BmB: Mods are still locked by Steam Workshop DRM
not DRM free
There's never been a need for Steam Workshop.

There's Nexus, afkmods, moddb, loverslab (and plenty of others).

https://alternativeto.net/software/nexus-mods/
Post edited September 29, 2022 by sanscript
little steps.. little steps... BIG step... to the bright future! ^
HunchBluntley: Weird selection of screenshots on the product page. Of the eight (count 'em!) images, only two include any creatures (and one of those two is rather mundane); the other six are basically landscape shots.
I believe there are people who would player TES games just for the beautiful landscapes alone. (Note that such a player wouldn't enjoy Arena or Daggerfall; Morrowind is the first game in the series to have such nice overworld graphics, though it's worth noting that Morrowind's world is more alien than Oblivion's or Skyrim's.)
BmB: Mods are still locked by Steam Workshop DRM
not DRM free
sanscript: There's never been a need for Steam Workshop.

There's Nexus, afkmods and moddb (and plenty of others).
But what about mods that aren't on those other places, and that are only on Steam Workshop?

So it would seem that BmB has a valid point, and he has pointed out "the catch" with these GOG releases of Skyrim, the major things that GOG customers will be deprived of in relation to this Skyrim game.
Post edited September 29, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Dammit, I bought the SE version as soon as I saw it on the front page, but come to find the AE I wish you guys would have led with the AE version… Fuck it, I'll get a refund for in-store credit, which is fine as that $13 will still go to GoG!

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm snagging the upgrade! Yeah, it's an extra $2, which is much better than an extra $24!

Also: HOLY HELL, it's snowing in Hell, thanks GoG/Bethesda for finally bringing this over; bonus points, we now don't HAVE to have our mods broken with mandatory updates anymore!
Post edited September 29, 2022 by TZODnmr2k5
Finally!!
Time to buy this game.
OP1: I have never played Skyrim before but compared to Morrowind and Oblivion it seems like the only thing going for it is better graphics. Nothing else really.
Each game has pluses and minuses over the others. They're far from identical.

Morrowind is by far the best "RPG" of the three, with hand-placed loot and more of a focus on stats and character building. Skyrim is a much better action game with much better combat and stealth, but less depth. Oblivion is kind of in the middle, though it has horrible level scaling and poor dialog due to voice acting constraints at the time.

They also have very different moods with Morrowind being a depressing backwater and Oblivion being a high fantasy Tolkien copy, and Skyrim being somewhere between.
sanscript: There's never been a need for Steam Workshop.

There's Nexus, afkmods and moddb (and plenty of others).
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But what about mods that aren't on those other places, and that are only on Steam Workshop?

So it would seem that BmB has a valid point, and he has pointed out "the catch" with these GOG releases of Skyrim, the major things that GOG customers will be deprived of in relation to this Skyrim game.
That's a problem with the mods creator, not Steam nor Bethesda. What exactly is there that you can't get elsewhere? I bet you can find something similar or even better outside of Steam Workshop.