It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The league of extraordinary explorers.

<span class="bold">The Curious Expedition</span>, a roguelike simulation of braving the fantastic perils of 19th century explorers, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com for Windows, Mac and Linux, with a 15% launch discount.

Mosquitos, famine, quicksand, overgrown kitties, cannibals, ancient booby traps - the explorer's trade is full of marvelous occurrences. But it's the promise of riches, undiscovered wonders, and thrilling adventure that keeps these fearless individuals going. Now this intoxicating fever has gripped you too and there is only one cure for it.

Much like these illustrious trailblazers of old, developers Maschinen-Mensch have been on a journey that constantly shifted and expanded as the development of The Curious Expedition marched on. While the game was In Development new locations, units, perks, and items as well as several functionality improvements became available for all fearless explorers to discover.

Slip into your safari shorts and embark on the procedurally-generated <span class="bold">The Curious Expedition</span>, malaria and DRM-free on GOG.com. The 15% discount will last until September 9, 5:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sS9pbJ6HYao
Post edited September 02, 2016 by maladr0Id
Niggles: "About: The Curious Expedition is
ShadowWulfe: So is it procedurally generated or not? That blurb just says it offers a unique treasure hunting roguelike experience.

Slip into your safari shorts and embark on the procedurally-generated The Curious Expedition, malaria and DRM-free on GOG.com. The 15% discount will last until September 9, 5:59 PM UTC.
Probably just quoted the wrong part.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by tremere110
Loving this game to pieces :D It's freaking awesome, I set a slaver camp on fire, ate chocolate, abandoned a racist, and got a baby raptor that grew up to evenually help on my expedition.....clearly a must have game!!!!!!!
The Developer is a german company, but there is no german version of the game?
ShadowWulfe: So is it procedurally generated or not?
Yes, it is.

"Endless replayability thanks to procedurally generated landscapes and stories."

"Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous personalities you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures. Put on your pith helmet and khakis and make your way through a lush, procedurally generated world full of wonder and mystery. Now go explore, adventure awaits!"

Excerpt from the official FAQ:

"Our goal for an average full playthrough length is approx. 2 - 3 hours, with every expedition taking no more than 10-30 minutes. We don’t want the game to take forever to finish. Instead, we’ll provide enough content and variety to make replaying an interesting and long-term option. Also, as with traditional roguelikes, you'll die often before ever reaching the end of the game. With each playthrough you’ll unlock new characters and options, and learn to play the game more efficiently. We really like how FTL handled this aspect and are striving for a similar quality.
We hope that we won’t need a rigid difficulty setting but provide or more flexible, self-determined approach. You’ll be awarded with fame for every successfully completed expedition. This fame can be spent on equipment to have better prepared expeditions in the future. However, at the end of your lifetime-career the accumulated amount of fame determines your ranking in the hall of fame. So it’s your choice to spend the fame on equipment to make it easier for you or try to get along with minimal costs if you want to score high in the hall of famous explorers."

Also, please head over to the official wiki for more information. In there you'll also find a nice poll.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by Vythonaut
Maxvorstadt: The Developer is a german company, but there is no german version of the game?
Also from the official FAQ:

"We still have a lot of ideas for future updates and plan to add translation and modding support."

I guess German will be included in a later version of the game.
Eha, they like FTL and want to give the players an experience like that?
Well, that´s a total no go for me. FTL is nothing but a dice game where the odds are clearly set against the player.
I hate games that are purely luck based.
tremere110:
Ah gotcha, thanks! I was reading but somehow missed that. I blame my screwed up schedule for my glossed comprehension these days.
Maxvorstadt: Eha, they like FTL and want to give the players an experience like that?
Well, that´s a total no go for me. FTL is nothing but a dice game where the odds are clearly set against the player.
I hate games that are purely luck based.
Well then you should love FTL, because it can be consistently won even with the worst of luck if you are a good player. Don't be a Zoidberg.
Let me check if GOG Wallet works...
Played this a while ago in EA... definite Seven Cities of Gold/Heart of Africa vibe from my old C64 days. I loved those games and have enjoyed my play on Curious Expedition so far. Can't wait to give the "final" product a go.
Have the devs added more "levels"? (they were only 3 or 5, I think)
Did they made the RNG and traps a bit less unforgiving?
Did the add more variety? (e.g: new locations)
Post edited September 03, 2016 by phaolo
jamotide: savegame abuse then. [...] if you really want to cheat.
If the devs have the same mindset that's another reason not to buy the game.
0Grapher: If the devs have the same mindset that's another reason not to buy the game.
Huh? That would be a good reason to buy the game!
phaolo: Have the devs added more "levels"? (they were only 3 or 5, I think)
If by "levels" you mean biomes, no. There are still 4 -- Jungle, Desert, Dryland, Prehistoric.

Also, inside the wiki page there is an interesting poll where the devs asking about new destinations. Currently the options are Under the sea, Arctic, Alien world, Lost civilization, other. For what it matters, i vote Under the sea. You know, Jules Verne and the likes.. ;)

phaolo: Did they made the RNG and traps a bit less unforgiving?
Several months ago the devs introduced an easy mode and a bit later a hard mode.

phaolo: Did the add more variety? (e.g: new locations)
Here's the list with all the locations. I don't think i see something new since the last beta patch.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by Vythonaut
phaolo: Have the devs added more "levels"? (they were only 3 or 5, I think)
Vythonaut: If by "levels" you mean biomes, no. [..] the devs asking about new destinations. [..]

phaolo: Did they made the RNG and traps a bit less unforgiving?
Vythonaut: Several months ago the devs introduced an easy mode and a bit later a hard mode.
Thanks. I didn't mean biomes or destinations, but it's good if they're adding more.
I thought that the game ended after only 3-5 "maps", but maybe I remember wrong.

About the RNG, I'd prefer if they just fixed the normal difficulty and put the absurd outcomes in "hard".