It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Unlikely, but here nonetheless.

<span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, a long-lost Douglas Adams adventure, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Douglas Adams told a very brief story once, it took up one standard page at most, depending on whatever font was selected for the exact copy you might have stumbled upon at the library, your aunt's place or wherever it is that you browse through assorted bookshelves. This was just one of his very many stories, and while some were told before and some after, it was this particular one that just happened to inspire the proper person who just happened to be born at the right time, the right place, and was presently in the right kind of mood to make a video game.

This is the tale of a glorious, flying monument to humanity's rather presumptuous dominance over life, the universe, and everything. And this, is how the unlikely story of the Starship Titanic was born:

"The designers and engineers decided, in their innocence, to build a prototype Improbability Field into it, which was meant, supposedly, to ensure that it was Infinitely Improbable that anything would ever go wrong with any part of the ship. They did not realize that because of the quasi-reciprocal and circular nature of all Improbability calculations, anything that was Infinitely Improbable was actually very likely to happen almost immediately. The Starship Titanic was a monstrously pretty sight as it lay beached like a silver Arcturan Megavoidwhale amongst the laser-lit tracery of its construction gantries, a brilliant cloud of pins and needles of light against the deep interstellar blackness; but when launched, it did not even manage to complete its very first radio message - an SOS - before undergoing a sudden and gratuitous total existence failure." -- Douglas Adams in Life, the Universe and Everything.

A strikingly similar and perhaps slightly ironic, was the fate of the Starship Titanic - the game - which has also vanished from any understandable plane of existence. Only recently has it been located by a GOG.com user who goes by nothing more, and nothing less than tfishell. Thanks guy, for putting us in touch.

Embark on an improbable adventure aboard the <span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
tfishell, shape your career with GOG.com, dude :P
Thanks tfishell & GOG:)

Titanic: Adventure Out of Time next, please.
ZapMcRaygunn: Thank you so much Tfishel. You are one hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.
cannot like this comment more than once.

it makes me sad. :(
Oh wow.
I remember when I first learned about this game a few years back, I read a lot of very bad reviews for it.
Still, I just can't say no to anything Douglas Adams.

Will definitely get this with my next paycheck.
Titanic release!Way to go GOG and major kudos to tfishell.
*realizes he has the game, complete in box*

... wait a sec. This doesn't include the tape, does it? My copy came with an audio cassette. I think.
Just think you ought to know, we're all feeling very delighted.

Now, I'll just leave this beauty here.
Wow. I didn't know it was that hard to find. I bought the "1st Class Cruise Kit" release back when it was new and I still have it, complete-in-box (including audiobook on tape casette) sitting just above and to the right of my third monitor.

Given that and that I no longer have a casette player, I think I'll wait until GOG gets the rights to give me a digital copy of the audiobook before I consider re-buying it here. (Or if they offer it at 75%+ off in a sale. Then I'll pay just for a more convenient way to install what I already own.)

(I'm also curious to know how GOG intends us to complete the puzzle which involves a bundled pair of anaglyph 3D glasses in the physical release.)
Post edited September 17, 2015 by ssokolow
w00t!

I've always wanted to play this, but given the probable licensing hell it was in, I had given up all hope of ever seeing it on GOG. And for $5.99 at that.

Instabuy!

Edit:
I've read the novel several times, which is one reason why I've always wanted to play this.
Post edited September 17, 2015 by Wishbone
I LOVE YOU GOG! I can play this beautiful game once more! :D

'Give me a bleedin' pistachio!'

Edit: Thank you tfishell for finding the rights holders of these games! <3
Post edited September 17, 2015 by Ulalume
Foxhack: ... wait a sec. This doesn't include the tape, does it? My copy came with an audio cassette. I think.
Not yet, at any rate. The only extra for the game at this time is the manual.
I actually bought and played this when it came out. yah, im that old lol If I remember rightly it wasnt that great but that was in the time of everything being compared to Myst etc. Will definitely get this for my collection tho, thanks GOG, keep up the good work getting those old titles
Exoanthrope: Nice release, tfishell never ceases to amaze me! :D

Kinda reminds me of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. I wonder if that will ever show up on GOG...
Crossing fingers that it will, someday, played that game a lot back in the day. Dust: A Tale of the Wired West was also pretty great.
Fever_Discordia: brings a ear to my eye *sniff*
Was it your own ear? I'd like to see a photo of that. No wonder you're crying, though.
Many thanks to tfishell. He should get a percentage of the sales. Just for this I should buy it but I also love Douglas Adams and didn't know he made a computer game.