It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Unlikely, but here nonetheless.

<span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, a long-lost Douglas Adams adventure, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Douglas Adams told a very brief story once, it took up one standard page at most, depending on whatever font was selected for the exact copy you might have stumbled upon at the library, your aunt's place or wherever it is that you browse through assorted bookshelves. This was just one of his very many stories, and while some were told before and some after, it was this particular one that just happened to inspire the proper person who just happened to be born at the right time, the right place, and was presently in the right kind of mood to make a video game.

This is the tale of a glorious, flying monument to humanity's rather presumptuous dominance over life, the universe, and everything. And this, is how the unlikely story of the Starship Titanic was born:

"The designers and engineers decided, in their innocence, to build a prototype Improbability Field into it, which was meant, supposedly, to ensure that it was Infinitely Improbable that anything would ever go wrong with any part of the ship. They did not realize that because of the quasi-reciprocal and circular nature of all Improbability calculations, anything that was Infinitely Improbable was actually very likely to happen almost immediately. The Starship Titanic was a monstrously pretty sight as it lay beached like a silver Arcturan Megavoidwhale amongst the laser-lit tracery of its construction gantries, a brilliant cloud of pins and needles of light against the deep interstellar blackness; but when launched, it did not even manage to complete its very first radio message - an SOS - before undergoing a sudden and gratuitous total existence failure." -- Douglas Adams in Life, the Universe and Everything.

A strikingly similar and perhaps slightly ironic, was the fate of the Starship Titanic - the game - which has also vanished from any understandable plane of existence. Only recently has it been located by a GOG.com user who goes by nothing more, and nothing less than tfishell. Thanks guy, for putting us in touch.

Embark on an improbable adventure aboard the <span class="bold">Starship Titanic</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ah, I have fond memories of this. The puzzles are... variable in quality, but the characterisation is like nothing else.

If my memory isn't playing tricks, besides the manual there was an in-universe flyer included in the box... I'll have to see whether I can dig it out when I get home.
high rated
Congratulations to tfishell for finding the game's rights owners! :)
I still remember the TV ads bragging about this game. Never did try it.
Wow, nice one.
Congrats and thanks to tfishell for this !

Looking great.
Post edited September 17, 2015 by MacArthur
I read the Book "Douglas Adam's Starship Titanic" by Terry Jones (apparently written stark naked) and found it to be quite fun and ever since that I wanted to play the game and now I can :D Thank you tfishell
high rated
Grargar: Congratulations to tfishell for finding the game's rights owners! :)
Thanks. :) Just to clarify, though, I just got contact info from a former The Digital Village employee, which I passed along to GOG; I didn't actually have contact with the current right holders.
Nice release, tfishell never ceases to amaze me! :D

Kinda reminds me of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. I wonder if that will ever show up on GOG...
Apparently 'Completely Unexpected Productions' was Duggy Adam's own production company, brings a ear to my eye *sniff*

Nice one Fishell - you da man!
Although I find the graphics a tad off putting, it's great to see a Douglas Adams game being taken from retirement.
Great stuff - I almost panicked with excitement when I saw this.

I'll be wish-listing this until payday, but until then Gog, So long - and thanks for all the games.
Wonderful addition! Thank you GOG and tfishell! I have read the book but never played the game. Wishlisted for now.
high rated
Thank you so much Tfishel. You are one hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.
Now that's quite a release! Thanks tfishell! I never even new about this game untill I recently bought the novelisation by Terry Jones in a used bookstore. It was quite fun, so I'll definately pick up the game eventually.