It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

<span class="bold">Shadow Watch</span>, a stunningly stylized tactical classic, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com

There's a special, timeless aesthetic to Shadow Watch. It stands out from the crowd, there's no doubt about that - but it also looks as good as any modern-day release. For a 15 year old game, that's a nothing short of a feat.

Dive into a comic-book world of interrogation and espionage in Shadow Watch - tactical turn-based gameplay in the spirit of X-Com and the gang, but it aims to keep things simple and varied (rather than in-depth and confounding). The familiar strategy layer is just as rewarding as ever, but it's never unnecessarily complicated and always easy to learn. Still, the real meat is in the fact that tactics are just one part of the experience. Before setting out on your mission you'll have to aptly prepare your team, as well as scout for intelligence, and interrogate your contacts. Your story and the flow of the game will rely on who you talk to, what you get out of them - and what you decide to do with the information.

A special shoutout to awalterj who relentlessly wears the Shadow Watch avatar. You weren't able to grab the game while here, so we thought it's high time to put it on the GOG.com shelf!

Watch your step in <span class="bold">Shadow Watch</span>, available DRM-free on GOG.com

Stream watch:

Tune in to Twitch.tv/GOGcom tonight for a live showing of this tactical classic in action! ScreamingJoypad is showing it off starting 8pm GMT (10pm CEST, 4pm EDT, 1pm PDT).
DeadlyRamon: Speaking of the game's comic book art style, I wonder if comic book artist Richard Case, whose work on Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol for DC/Vertigo in the late 80s through early 90s I'm most familiar with, had anything to do with this game's art?
jkiiskinen: According to MobyGames, he did indeed:

External Development Credits

Illustration by Richard Case
I'm not familiar with Richard Case and his works.
Anyway we have our answer thanks to jkiiskinen. +1
BillyMaysFan59: Congrats to awalterj and everyone else who wanted Shadow Watch =)
Thank you :)

It was a very nice surprise because the wishlist had so few votes and I didn't expect this forgotten game to be added any time soon.
shmerl: Looks pretty interesting. Did anyone try it in Wine? The only report about it is ancient and it's rated as "garbage":
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&amp;iId=4800
mike_cesara: I just started the game, seems like works out of the box ; ) Not going to play it now though, have another game to to finish first.
Thanks! I'll buy it then.
shmerl: Looks pretty interesting. Did anyone try it in Wine? The only report about it is ancient and it's rated as "garbage":
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&amp;iId=4800
mike_cesara: I just started the game, seems like works out of the box ; ) Not going to play it now though, have another game to to finish first.
Cool thanks :)
I'll buy it as well.
yyahoo: snip
I will attempt to summarise my argument again, only this time in a civil and concise manner. In my original post I said that the spectrum begins at "war is terrible but necessary". This is still a pro-war stance, simply one which acknowledges the negatives and human costs of war. Whether or not one believes there are truly anti-war wargames, there are plenty which are pro-war but which are so with an attempt at balancing that stance with realism. The other end of my posited spectrum, "war is fucking awesome", elides any of the downsides or nuances of warfare and presents it purely as enjoyable bloodsport and/or panacea for the world's ills.

My argument could be distilled fundamentally as "the spectrum runs from realistic to escapist", hardly a controversial or even original statement. The same could be said just as easily of other game genres, such as simulators, city builders, and arena combat games.

Apologies for my earlier vitriol, and thanks to subsequent posters who pointed out that debate is not a wasted effort when carried out with sincerity. I believe in this case both of us were sincere in our intentions and positions.
How come I can't find any gameplay videos of Shadow Watch? It looks interesting and reminds me of Invisible Inc. I only found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1Z0nP6bc8 - But it's literally 2 frames per second. :L

I wishlisted it just in case.
matoro1992: How come I can't find any gameplay videos of Shadow Watch? It looks interesting and reminds me of Invisible Inc. I only found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1Z0nP6bc8 - But it's literally 2 frames per second. :L

I wishlisted it just in case.
Shadow Watch playthrough
I played this game on GameTap... Back when GameTap was amazing. *Sighs.*

It's a decent game- controls are kind of clunky though, since you can only control it with the mouse and nothing else. If you like turn based strategy RPGs, it'd definitely worth a try.
MarioFanaticXV: It's a decent game- controls are kind of clunky though, since you can only control it with the mouse and nothing else. If you like turn based strategy RPGs, it'd definitely worth a try.
The controls are somewhat unintuitive and take a little getting used to but they're not complicated, plus you can use the keyboard if you want to. Attached the keyboard controls as shown in the manual:
Attachments:
MarioFanaticXV: It's a decent game- controls are kind of clunky though, since you can only control it with the mouse and nothing else. If you like turn based strategy RPGs, it'd definitely worth a try.
awalterj: The controls are somewhat unintuitive and take a little getting used to but they're not complicated, plus you can use the keyboard if you want to. Attached the keyboard controls as shown in the manual:
Odd; when I played, the keyboard did NOTHING; I distinctly remember this being my biggest complaint about the game. Maybe it was a bug with the GameTap version.
holy... almost forgot about this game. i loved this one as it hit the stores! had my turn based phase back then and after playing jagged alliance and fallout i was so happy to found this sweety. it has solid gameplay with very nice and timeless graphics. totally can recommend it if you like turn and squad based tactical games.
I remember playing demo of this game - just one level - on my first PC back in 2001... This game is not Jagged Alliance 2 - your squad members have different skills and different classes - i.e. only the fat guy can use shotgun. The graphics still look ok even today... Thank you for a sweet surprise GOG and making my backlog even bigger!!
Martek: Can the level be 'rotated' (like the Shadowrun's)? (This isn't a deal-breaker, but still something I'd like to know.)

No mention of what type of save system it has.
JudasIscariot: You can save anywhere.

No rotation of levels.
Thank you for the answers :)

I found some gameplay vids I'm watching - looks pretty cool actually..
Wow, I had no idea awalterj's avatar came from a game. XD Congrats, awalterj.

The game looks really cool, I love the comic book aesthetic. Definitely wishlisted for now.
Exoanthrope: Wow, I had no idea awalterj's avatar came from a game. XD Congrats, awalterj.

The game looks really cool, I love the comic book aesthetic. Definitely wishlisted for now.
Thank you :) I've been lobbying for it for years!

(couldn't get my original CD version to run smoothly enough on Win 7 64bit, the GOG release works fine except for ALT+TAB from Windows back to the game which doesn't seem to work properly, all the graphics disappear)