It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Title: Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
Genre: Adventure
Discount: 25% off for the owners of Sam & Max Save the World until 25th January 2022, 2 PM UTC.
Risingson: I find it funny than in a niche genre as the point n click adventure there is so much gatekeeping with the re releases. Sam and Max season 3 is the best thing Telltale has ever done and I don't think that minimal changes can alter that fact.
Well, that is your opinion. In my opinion, TWAU and Tales was much better. And I'm guessing a lot of people would say The Walking Dead series is Tellltales best game.

These being minimal changes is also just your opinion. As you can see, there are quite a few that disagree the changes are minimal.

Gatekeeping is; "the activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something."

That is not what is happening here. People are choosing not to purchase an overpriced and modified piece of pop culture. No one is denying the devs from producing and attempting to sell a politically correct product.

But, whatever makes your day.
low rated
BrianSim: The original has had widescreen support from the start (hardly surprising since they were made during 2006-2010 and are not "old" pre widescreen era games at all). Bosco's voice acting is a still a downgrade. I'd pay more to *not* have stupid achievements retroactively shovelled into older games (and GOG offline installer users can't even use them anyway). As for controller support, it's a point & click adventure game... If you want to buy it then go ahead, but please don't make up fake facts like "they added widescreen" (that was already there...)
They did add widescreen in season two, but it had a max resolution of 1080 which is quite poor nowadays. The original was also capped at 50fps, which is awful. Also the new lighting and such is a lovely upgrade, it looks much nicer whether people mad about other things want to admit it or not.

I get that the cut lines annoy people... they annoy me too!... and there's a general tendency to crap on remasters... which I get because a lot of them suck!... but we don't have to pretend things aren't improved that are improved. With no cut lines this time, it seems like an objective upgrade. Whether it's worth the money is a personal decision.
Patias: Strange, but GOG stopped writing a text introducing the new games.

Is this change in approach already related to the restructuring that GOG would receive?
Very strange indeed. I hope this is only a temporary issue and nothing permanent. The side would loose a lot of flair if the release news would be cut down to this mini format.
low rated
Risingson: I find it funny than in a niche genre as the point n click adventure there is so much gatekeeping with the re releases. Sam and Max season 3 is the best thing Telltale has ever done and I don't think that minimal changes can alter that fact.
Longcat: Well, that is your opinion. In my opinion, TWAU and Tales was much better. And I'm guessing a lot of people would say The Walking Dead series is Tellltales best game.

These being minimal changes is also just your opinion. As you can see, there are quite a few that disagree the changes are minimal.

Gatekeeping is; "the activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something."

That is not what is happening here. People are choosing not to purchase an overpriced and modified piece of pop culture. No one is denying the devs from producing and attempting to sell a politically correct product.

But, whatever makes your day.
Are you really quoting my opinion to say that it is my opinion? Oh, thank you!

Have a good day too
Amazing, every word of what you just said... was wrong.
Remasters, man... even when hypothetically done right, what's the point? I know the "bring the oldies up to modern standards so that they appeal to the younger generation" story, but come on.

Does anyone rebrush renaissance paintings with deeper reds and finer strokes? Old games should be enjoyed as they were designed in their own time, because they have every right to be. Not understanding their limitations and context detracts from the experience IMHO. Fans of the series have long learned to appreciate rough edges and decade old-bugs as part of the experience, there's really no need to reinvent the wheel.

Aside from addressing compatibility with modern OSes and perhaps higher resolution/widescreen patches where needed I'd change nothing. I'd throw in some optional ESRGAN-enhanced texture packs for high-res fans as a bonus. All with no extra cost or a measly sum at best ($5).
low rated
ShadowWulfe: Not sure what is so controversial about something as simple as this, but it seems to have triggered quite a few people.
They cut the original VA for the games after he "did wrongthink" and/or because of his skin color, and then replaced him with a meh sounding replacement. They also cut a bunch of jokes so as not to offend the usual suspects on social media/etc.

(side note: I think people are right to be upset when content is altered/cut....especially for such reasons. Also, I find such usage of the word triggered to be extremely cringe.....I think upset/bothered to be much better/apropos descriptors)
Post edited January 14, 2022 by GamezRanker
low rated
StingingVelvet: The censorship was bad, absolutely, but let's not pretend that's a "graphical downgrade." The remaster is definitely a nice visual upgrade, it's night and day.
It might look a bit better in some ways, but 3-4 price increase worthy? I personally don't think so....especially with the new VA and more so if there's more cut content.

StingingVelvet: They did add widescreen in season two, but it had a max resolution of 1080 which is quite poor nowadays. The original was also capped at 50fps, which is awful.
Those things being poor or awful is subjective.
(Heck, i've played stuff in higher FPS/resolutions and still find both to be decent enough.....I even play in lower resolutions sometimes!)

StingingVelvet: With no cut lines this time,
Supposedly/that we know of....if it were me, i'd wait for people to check first to verify before buying.

=-=-=

WinterSnowfall: Fans of the series have long learned to appreciate rough edges and decade old-bugs as part of the experience,
I like some remakes/remasters on occasion....that said, I find your post mostly well said :)

WinterSnowfall: Aside from addressing compatibility with modern OSes and perhaps higher resolution/widescreen patches where needed I'd change nothing. I'd throw in some optional ESRGAN-enhanced texture packs for high-res fans as a bonus. All with no extra cost or a measly sum at best ($5).
Winter for remake/remaster team lead!
Post edited January 14, 2022 by GamezRanker
low rated
StingingVelvet: They did add widescreen in season two, but it had a max resolution of 1080 which is quite poor nowadays. The original was also capped at 50fps, which is awful.
GamezRanker: Those things being poor or awful is subjective.
The so called "1080p limit" isn't even something that couldn't be solved in 5 seconds flat by editing one single config file (like half of all other games here):-

Original in 2560x1440 - https://i.imgur.com/KqvByZZ.jpg

Original in 3840x2160 - https://i.imgur.com/IUBaSLU.jpg

And even in Ultrawide:-

Original in 3440x1440 - https://i.imgur.com/AXzTOq5.jpg

I often wondered how we arrived at the place where people claim 1080p (owned by the overwhelming majority of gamers) is now "unplayable" and to pretend to be too stupid to change a resolution setting whilst simultaneously having no problem with half the 320x240 resolution DOS games here that will never be remastered, or adding mods / tweaks for other games...
Post edited January 14, 2022 by BrianSim
low rated
BrianSim: The so called "1080p limit" isn't even something that couldn't be solved in 5 seconds flat by editing one single config file (like half of all other games here):-

Original in 2560x1440 - https://i.imgur.com/KqvByZZ.jpg

Original in 3840x2160 - https://i.imgur.com/IUBaSLU.jpg
Tbf, that's likely using upscaling.....still, the screens look decent enough regardless.

BrianSim: I often wondered how we arrived at the place where people claim 1080p (owned by the overwhelming majority of gamers) is now "unplayable".....
They're not unplayable for most.......I suspect some gamers are likely just spoiled by bigger screens/etc.
low rated
GamezRanker: Tbf, that's likely using upscaling.....still, the screens look decent enough regardless.
No, they are definitely natively rendered at those resolutions (that's why the Ultrawide shot shows extra rendered width instead of simply being stretched or letterboxed, which is what upscaling to a wider aspect ratio would do).

BrianSim: They're not unplayable for most.......I suspect some gamers are likely just spoiled by bigger screens/etc.
True. A bit sad though to see the "1080p = unplayable" 'Master Race' thing here on GOG though.
rbstego: The original versions of Save the World and Beyond Time and Space come with the new versions. You get both in Standard Edition and Game + Soundtrack Bundle.
wolfsite: Thanks for the update.
You are welcome.
low rated
BrianSim: No, they are definitely natively rendered at those resolutions (that's why the Ultrawide shot shows extra rendered width instead of simply being stretched or letterboxed, which is what upscaling to a wider aspect ratio would do).
I stand corrected :)

BrianSim: True. A bit sad though to see the "1080p = unplayable" 'Master Race' thing here on GOG though.
I can sorta see why some might like such things....I like some remakes/remasters myself, in part because "ooh shiny".....still, I think the games can also be pretty fun even without such things.
WinterSnowfall: Remasters, man... even when hypothetically done right, what's the point? I know the "bring the oldies up to modern standards so that they appeal to the younger generation" story, but come on.

Does anyone rebrush renaissance paintings with deeper reds and finer strokes? Old games should be enjoyed as they were designed in their own time, because they have every right to be. Not understanding their limitations and context detracts from the experience IMHO. Fans of the series have long learned to appreciate rough edges and decade old-bugs as part of the experience, there's really no need to reinvent the wheel.
While I agree, I think there are some things that can be added or changed that I would appreciate in a remaster (provided they would all be optional, with an easy option to switch back to the original).

The most important is controls. For many genres controls evolved into much more convenient, easy to pick up and play, without taking away anything from the experience. A remaster of something like Escape from Monkey Island or Star Trek Hidden Evil that would do away with the horrible tank controls would be a godsend. And I can't even begin to tell you how much smoother and fun an experience something like Shadow Tactics is compared to playing the original Commandos today.
Post edited January 14, 2022 by Breja
Breja: While I agree, I think there are some things that can be added or changed that I would appreciate in a remaster (provided they would all be optional, with an easy option to switch back to the original).

The most important is controls. [...]
Ok, I see your point and it's valid. I did not think about it because back in the day I didn't play that many games which had this issue, or maybe I rather steered away from them because of it :P.

As long as it's optional, as in a "tick here for optimized/modern control scheme" box, sure. I don't mind adding additional controller support while we're on the topic. Sure, there are plenty of emulation layers for that, but having native support is even better and prone to far less jank.

My mind wanders to Dune 2 (the strategy game) and its proto-unit control interface. Sure, the game would be immensely more enjoyable in this day and age with an updated selection & ordering scheme, but it wouldn't spark the same memories, because those memories had some frustration in them :D. But there simply was no other choice at the time, of course.