It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You’re NOT ready for this title! Expanding the epic narrative of Riven: The Sequel to Myst from 1997, Riven is now available on GOG, straight from Cyan Worlds!

Discover a whole new way to immerse yourself in Riven. Engage in free movement within a live 3D setting that will transform your experience. Whether you're a seasoned explorer, yearning to reignite that initial enchantment of Riven, or a newcomer eager to unravel its mysteries, this fresh, reimagined edition presents an enriched storyline, captivating visuals, and a gaming journey that honors the original and broadens the horizons of Riven's universe.

You can now also get:
Riven: The Deluxe Edition
Riven: The Complete Collection
Myst & Riven: The Definitive Collection
The Riven Companion
The Art of Riven

All titles launch with with a -10% discounts until July 9th, 4 PM UTC – check them out!
high rated
There is some value to preserving older versions. But when definitive is nowhere near definitive and you need a guide just to figure out which game version to play these days, maybe you are overdoing it "a bit"?

It at least still deserves place in the forum.
I own the original game here on GOG, and now I need to do research on this new thing, apparently. If it's good, I'll likely buy it, as I have a soft spot for these kinds of adventure games.

And it would be an insta-buy at $25. At this price however, I'm gonna need a bigger motivator, even with the 10% discount. I mean, I may still buy it at that price, but I'm gonna need to see a few glowing reviews first, along with some really nice controls, puzzles and visuals. These kinds of games are difficult to get right, especially if you do a lot of 'reimagining' to them.
GilesHabibula: I own the original game here on GOG, and now I need to do research on this new thing, apparently. If it's good, I'll likely buy it, as I have a soft spot for these kinds of adventure games.

And it would be an insta-buy at $25. At this price however, I'm gonna need a bigger motivator, even with the 10% discount. I mean, I may still buy it at that price, but I'm gonna need to see a few glowing reviews first, along with some really nice controls, puzzles and visuals. These kinds of games are difficult to get right, especially if you do a lot of 'reimagining' to them.
Apart from modern stability and a graphic update, I wouls say that the main selling point for both for me, for both the new Myst game and now Riven, is the VR support. They are expended a little as well, so there is more of it if you like the games.
GilesHabibula: I own the original game here on GOG, and now I need to do research on this new thing, apparently. If it's good, I'll likely buy it, as I have a soft spot for these kinds of adventure games.
That's what I'm thinking too. And I haven't finished the old series yet...
high rated
ok, but when is realRiven masterpiece edition coming? :D
These collections are completely useless if they are more expensive than their contents (no discount on them).
blotunga: These collections are completely useless if they are more expensive than their contents (no discount on them).
Buy the bundle to pay more than one € on top seems like a great deal. ;-)
kultpcgames: ... And I haven't finished the old series yet...
I've never finished any of these games. The closest I ever came was the original Myst back in 1994 on my old 486. A buddy and I spent several hours per day for like a week on Myst before getting stuck. So I actually went out and bought the god damn strategy guide for $20.

Then, strategy guide in hand and open, we made it quite a ways further, and then, nearly done with the game, we somehow got stuck yet again, even with the damn book! It was frustrating as hell, so we just gave up on it at that point.

And yet despite all that, it's one of my very fond gaming memories. I still clearly remember many of the locations, even though I've never played it since, or any of the upgrades or remakes. Games from the 90's were really something special back in the day. Devs were having fun just experimenting and pushing boundaries, and thus the players had fun too. Good times.
GilesHabibula: I've never finished any of these games.

I think very few people have managed Myst without a strategy guide. :-)

I absolutely agree, the 90s were probably the most creative time when it comes to computer games. I have countless great memories of it too.

You can probably remember the parts of a game better if you have managed them yourself. Strategy guides probably don't help much with immersion. That's why I almost always avoid them.
With that price tag? Hard ass for me. I might buy some of the more reasonably priced originals though.
mk47at: Buy the bundle to pay more than one € on top seems like a great deal. ;-)
Except for the missing or changed content in some new cyan game versions, like having characters changed from FMV to 3D models and removing or simplfying background objects.
Post edited June 25, 2024 by JacobSlatter
kultpcgames: I think very few people have managed Myst without a strategy guide. :-)
It's not that hard, really. The only thing was that maze where you were supposed to use sounds as a guide; I just kind of bumbled through that randomly and only figured it out in hindsight. Did all the others without a guide as well, except Myst 5, which was a little buggy and also disappointingly not very good, so when I eventually got stuck I wasn't motivated to persevere and get unstuck.
kultpcgames: I think very few people have managed Myst without a strategy guide. :-)
I managed it. Riven was a different matter, however... Very much looking forward to playing the remake.
Instabuy, was waiting for this to show up here :)
Riven had a timeless design. However, this remake might be interesting for those we prefer a free camera, possibly with a VR device.