It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FPS Immortals are here.

Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. You can pick them up at 33% off in two bundles:
<span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>.

Wolfenstein 3D (with Spear of Destiny) is widely considered to be the first true 3D FPS ever. It single handedly kickstarted a generation of id Software greats, and thus influenced just about every FPS we've played ever since. Its mazes, shades of gray, and blue hues are burned into the collective gaming memory - plus you get to kill a mechanized Hitler. Classic.
In the early days of FPS gaming, Quake II: Quad Damage was the milestone. In a spot-on review from 1997, GameSpot calls it "the only first-person shooter to render the original Quake entirely obsolete." It was bigger, better, prettier, and smoother than any clone or predecessor - it also offered one of the most playable, and by far most popular multiplayer experiences of its day.
Quake III: Gold, aka. multiplayer revolution. Despite a controversial removal of the lauded single-player experience the series was known for, Quake III: Arena became a smash-hit and (together with Unreal Tournament) essentially defined arena-style, movement-based competitive gaming for years. The shooter spawned a community that's been living and breathing to this day.
In B.J. Blazkowicz's Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another legend is born. A unique, objective-based multiplayer mode saw immense popularity back in the day - and it was actually pretty okay if you're into that sort of thing. The single-player campaign is a dark, somewhat ridiculous freak show of morbid, scientific fantasy. An ever present sense of dread emanates from the disturbing experiments and cult-like universe, just waiting to be set afire - by you.

As with any Bethesda purchase, you'll also get The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall for free!

Prepare to fight in Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - now DRM-free on GOG.com. Return to the FPS immortals at 33% off in two bundles: <span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>. The promo will last for one week, until October 8, 12:59 PM GMT.

The four titles released today are not available for purchase in Germany. These are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.
mobutu: we are world champion

I'm sorry, but what do you mean?
JudasIscariot: Germany won the 2014 World Cup :)
Yes, and at least one polish gamer does still remember - that is so nice :)

MadMarty71: So maybe the AMericans should overthrow the people who are responsible for banning bare breasts from computer games. Same nonsense
mobutu: Ofcourse they should!

mobutu: I already assumed they won a "world cup" but at what discipline?
You really don't know?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/14/world-cup-final-press-reaction-germany-argentina-2014
Post edited October 05, 2015 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: You really don't know?
Oh, so it's football/soccer ... why does everyone assume that every single individual must know this?
Sigh ... that sport is way overrated
GOG.com: The four titles released today are not available for purchase in Germany. These are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.
No. Still bullshit and still wrong. You are still not a German company and repeatedly claiming this nonsense will not make it better. If a polish company decides not to sell to German customers, this is still censorship.

As long as you censor, you will neither get only one more cent out of my pocket nor the positive "DRM-free shop" referrals I used to give you in the past. Instead, I recommend to avoid you like the pest of other unethical companies.

There seems to be a rule. The larger companies get, the more disgusting their business-ethics become. I probably gave you too much money....
JKHSawyer: I can't find anything on Medieval having DRM besides it using Galaxy, and Victor Vran's DRM is related to multiplayer too. These are not the first games to do that on GOG...

Multiplayer having or needing an account is hardly shocking. The single-player is still playable with no connection required.
throgh: Repeating that argument don't make it better as it was already used in the discussions for that games. Using only the singleplayer especially for games like Victor Vran is comparable being forced just using half of the game and half of the product. Games like Majesty 2 or Borderlands (without Steam) - both using GameSpy - are really good previews what happens if a component needed is no longer available. I know the followed up sentence: "People have to get used to that online-multiplayer is the standard!" Simple as that: No, there has to nobody getting used to that if not willing to. Grand Ages: Medieval uses Galaxy to establish multiplayer-connections. What happens if the (so-called optional) client is not installed? Has anybody tried that? If the client is otherwise neede it is per definition DRM, nothing more and nothing less. If the multiplayer-option is disabled then if the client was not found it also not acceptable but therefore an individual decision. This would be also the reason for games not being available for Linux right now!
There are tons of games on GOG right now that no longer support their multiplayer. Servers and accounts are just naturally to be suspected, and if they are not for a particular game than good for them. Seriously, pick your battles. If the game has a good single player portion, and it doesn't require an internet connection for that portion, I see no reason why it shouldn't be here. Most major publisher games end up losing their multiplayer down the line anyways.

World in Conflict is said to be losing its multiplayer, while that sucks, its single-player is fantastic, why shouldn't it be on GOG?
I keep seeing people say there shouldn't be a German GOG as if they could then sell the game even though the publisher has told GOG they can't (apparently due to German laws for some of the games).

GOG has to honour the publisher wishes, to do that they are probably going to IP block (possibly payment address check (steam does), German store or no German store.

Governments have different laws that apply to their particular gaming citizens that is just the way it is. I've had some of these problems with Australia's game classification board and publisher deals that lead to games or versions of games not being available to me on GOG as well. Witcher 2 (Aus modded version), Hotline Miami 2 is another example. Hotlime Maimi 2 you couldn't even see the game if you went to GOG, Humble or Steam. Which I don't agree with it should be listed but not available to purchase with a message to explain why. Since each store handled it the same way I have to wonder if they were all directed by developer / publishers to do it that way.

Simple matter is GOG and often publishers can't veto the laws of the country a game is being sold into. They are businesses and are inherently risk averse.

If you have an issue with censorship and laws in your country your only option is to take it up with the governments of the day to get changes made. Good luck.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by deonast
dc6jgk: business-ethics
I believe this is what's commonly known as an oxymoron.
Man, I have a soft spot for Quake II and its music. Quake III... meh - considering it only has bots on maps and I only like single-player campaigns/missions in FPS games because I never depend on anyone to have a little fun when it itches. :P

But the price are absurdly high for non-Linux releases of such old games, so I'll pass these also (just like Quake 1 and the first Doom games). :(

To me it's impossible to believe that these games couldn't be released with Linux versions on their first day on GOG. They already have Linux binaries and Quake III even had a commercial Linux version. I just don't get it. I hope having everything available for Linux will be only a matter of time. I don't want extra layers of software to play something that could run native.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by kneekoo
dc6jgk: As long as you censor, you will neither get only one more cent out of my pocket...
Your country, Germany government, is responsible for this censorship: they forbid the import/buy of videogames containing the nazi swastika and they forbid the public marketing of videogames bureaucratically deemed too violent for "the children". They censor.
You should redirect your anger towards the german government and threaten them with no more seeing/getting the cents from your pocket ...

deonast: I keep seeing people say there shouldn't be a German GOG as if they could then sell the game even though the publisher has told GOG they can't (apparently due to German laws for some of the games).
Unfortunately, that is correct. Those banned/indexed games would still be unavailable for german IPs even if there was only english gog.com
Post edited October 05, 2015 by mobutu
MarkoH01: Yes, and at least one polish gamer does still remember - that is so nice :)
Well, *ahem*, it's difficult to forget that 7 - 1 against Brazil of all countries :D
JudasIscariot: Well, *ahem*, it's difficult to forget that 7 - 1 against Brazil of all countries :D
That was the semi-final :)
JudasIscariot: Well, *ahem*, it's difficult to forget that 7 - 1 against Brazil of all countries :D
blotunga: That was the semi-final :)
Yes, I know but it was rather memorable :D
mobutu: Your country, Germany government, is responsible for this censorship: they forbid the import/buy of videogames containing the nazi swastika and they forbid the public marketing of videogames bureaucratically deemed too violent for "the children". They censor.
You should redirect your anger towards the german government and threaten them with no more seeing/getting the cents from your pocket ...
No, it is not as easy as that. Well, when it comes to images of the swastika, it actually is. German politics are wetting themselfes when this thing is shown in computer games, while movies can floot their audience with swastikas galore, because they are "art". ("Surfnazis must die!" surely falls in this category.

But what about Quake II? The game is not banned in Germany, it could be sold without any problem. Hell, most of the games not available here in Germany could be easily sold to any person at least 18 years old. That this is not happening is due to companies like Steam or Bethesda not giving a shit. Well, to be honest, by now I am sure that Valve has more base motives for doing what they do, but the outcome is the same.

And even if pictures of the swastika are banned in Germany and companies like Bethesda have to oblige, I am pissed about how they are doing it. "Wolfenstein: TNO" not only came completely swatika-free, I could have lived with that. It came with a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE german-only synchro that made me cringe. It came with a ban from the according Bethesda forums and a sloppily improvised alternative for germans. It came with the full arrogance and stupidity of a big publisher.

I am sorry for this wall of text, but I am sooo pissed. My gouvernment treats me like I am an idiot who is only good as a cash machine. Bethesda treats me like I am an idiot who is only good as a cash machine. Hell, they are not even able to answer to (respectful) emails about this.

Of course I am supposed to buy everything Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls. But in case Bethesde decides to see me as a second class customer, I am nothing more than a piece of shit for them. Boy, am I pissed.
AngryAlien: But what about Quake II?
The game is not banned in Germany, it could be sold without any problem ... most of the games not available here in Germany could be easily sold to any person at least 18 years old.
That this is not happening is due to companies like Steam or Bethesda not giving a shit.
Quake2 (and other games) is on the german indexed list, so that means:
-you cannot advertise and show it on store shelf (be it physical or digital);
-a store can sell these indexed games but only to a legally verifiable 18+ individual, and only at his specific request.

To be honest, I really don't blame any publisher/developer/digital_platform for not wanting to implement a complicated and expensive 18+ age verifier and other systems to hide the indexed games for minors. It's not worth it for them, it's not their problem, it's Germany's problem.

The root of the problem is the german government getting out these crap laws like banning swastikas, hiding products for "minor protection" (this is the most stupid thing ever, you know nazi didn't exist, this game doesn't exist ... but you know, santa claus and god do exist etc crap like that), videogames not art/education etc.
Resolve this (vote/lobby/etc) and you're problem-free.
AngryAlien: .
Instead of being pissed, you can simply work around the issue. Ask someone to gift you the games ;)
I'm from Germany as well, and I even played these games as a child. It angers me that I, nowadays a responsible adult, am Geolocked out of buying content. Nobody forces GOG to geolock their customers in Germany; in fact, a Geolocking Law has been declared unconstitutional a couple of years ago, even though the law was made with the purpose of hiding away even WORSE stuff than swastikas.

But no, movies are considered art, even shit like Uwe Boll Nazi flicks, but Swastikas in games and comics are considered a big no-no. It's not even a law that you cannot sell stuff with Swastikas in it, it's just that the first reaction upon releasing something with swastikas would be the police going on a seize-a-thon (unless it's playable in a DVD player, then you're a-okay), followed by a long series of court battles where said seizing would be considered unconstitutional. But it would be a long and costly battle, and even if you get back the money from legal counceling from the state, nobody returns you the money you lost from having your servers seized.

TL;DR: I'm pissed and sad that it had to come this way, and seriously hope I'll find somebody to gift me the games.

edit: BTW, did you know that the protagonist in Wolfenstein 3D is jewish? It's pretty perverse that Germany is banning a game where a Jew shoots Nazis...
Post edited October 05, 2015 by Shieru-sensei