It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FPS Immortals are here.

Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. You can pick them up at 33% off in two bundles:
<span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>.

Wolfenstein 3D (with Spear of Destiny) is widely considered to be the first true 3D FPS ever. It single handedly kickstarted a generation of id Software greats, and thus influenced just about every FPS we've played ever since. Its mazes, shades of gray, and blue hues are burned into the collective gaming memory - plus you get to kill a mechanized Hitler. Classic.
In the early days of FPS gaming, Quake II: Quad Damage was the milestone. In a spot-on review from 1997, GameSpot calls it "the only first-person shooter to render the original Quake entirely obsolete." It was bigger, better, prettier, and smoother than any clone or predecessor - it also offered one of the most playable, and by far most popular multiplayer experiences of its day.
Quake III: Gold, aka. multiplayer revolution. Despite a controversial removal of the lauded single-player experience the series was known for, Quake III: Arena became a smash-hit and (together with Unreal Tournament) essentially defined arena-style, movement-based competitive gaming for years. The shooter spawned a community that's been living and breathing to this day.
In B.J. Blazkowicz's Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another legend is born. A unique, objective-based multiplayer mode saw immense popularity back in the day - and it was actually pretty okay if you're into that sort of thing. The single-player campaign is a dark, somewhat ridiculous freak show of morbid, scientific fantasy. An ever present sense of dread emanates from the disturbing experiments and cult-like universe, just waiting to be set afire - by you.

As with any Bethesda purchase, you'll also get The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall for free!

Prepare to fight in Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - now DRM-free on GOG.com. Return to the FPS immortals at 33% off in two bundles: <span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>. The promo will last for one week, until October 8, 12:59 PM GMT.

The four titles released today are not available for purchase in Germany. These are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.
Fredo137: Well, they ask for your birthday on your GOG profile page :-)
Anyways, if something is banned in Germany due to anti-constitutional symbols or extreme violence, then this is applicable independent of age.

The point here is that GOG decided to give in to the publisher's demands, even though they had to abandon some of their former GOG principles this way.
I imagine they did some estimations beforehand: The additional sales of the recently added games to all the non-Germans vs. missing future sales due to potentially quitting of angry Germans.

I further assume that the game publisher has much bigger market power than GOG, so they would not argue with the publisher about clarifying or settling some potential legal issues in Germany.
And regional locks seem to be the easier (and quicker) solution than to start some legal efforts.
DanielRuf: This is not enough for the german law, there is no real age verification.

You can enter any date.

They are not banned, just on a list to protect minors.

Persons older than 18 years are allowed to buy and import for private use.

I bet GOG will have legal issues here and the BPjM, USK and lawyers will take a closer look regarding the protection of minors and the age verification. Until now GOG hurts many laws here.

Don't they have a german office, or at least CD Projekt?

GOG is liable.
GOG is a polish business and since it is just forbidden to sell from Germany they are not really breaking anything. It ist still allowed for Germans to import any game and that is what we (the Germans) are basically do when buying a game on GOG.
You know what's funny? While digging through my magazine DVDs i saw that i own <span class="bold">Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory</span> on the PC Action 12/2007 DVD (Ab 18 Version). :D

According to MobyGames it's a multiplayer spin-off to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So i guess that this one is not on the Index?
Post edited October 04, 2015 by Impaler26
Elmofongo:
MarkoH01: Hey, it's not all bad in Germany. Yes, the censorship because of the fact that Germany will alwayws be nazi land (even though I was not even born then) sucks big but at least we can enjoy alcohol in public and we also can enjoy nude women even on free TV without being censored :) Every country has its on restrictions. Yes, ours are ridiculous but others (as the mentioned forbidden nude people) imo are too. And we have great beer, cars and after all we are world champion (at least in the moment). No, not all is bad :)

Nergal01:
MarkoH01:
It's not all that bad? That's not what Asuka Langley Soryu said to me ;)

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/822157-neon-genesis-evangelion
Impaler26: You know what's funny? While digging through my magazine DVDs i saw that i own <span class="bold">Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory</span> on the PC Action 12/2007 DVD (Ab 18 Version). :D

According to MobyGames it's a multiplayer spin-off to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So i guess that this one is not on the Index?
No. It was released as a freeware download and seems to have a "USK 16" rating, as it was also featured in the regular editions of PC Games and PC Action. I'm not sure if it changes the content depending on your system language, but when I played it back then, it didn't have any swastikas and I don't remember any blood, either.
MarkoH01: Hey, it's not all bad in Germany. Yes, the censorship because of the fact that Germany will alwayws be nazi land (even though I was not even born then) sucks big but at least we can enjoy alcohol in public and we also can enjoy nude women even on free TV without being censored :) Every country has its on restrictions. Yes, ours are ridiculous but others (as the mentioned forbidden nude people) imo are too. And we have great beer, cars and after all we are world champion (at least in the moment). No, not all is bad :)
Elmofongo: It's not all that bad? That's not what Asuka Langley Soryu said to me ;)

hehe, it's funny 'cause it's true! (gotta live through one more day of that damned oktoberfest going on.)
Elmofongo: It's not all that bad? That's not what Asuka Langley Soryu said to me ;)

mchack: hehe, it's funny 'cause it's true! (gotta live through one more day of that damned oktoberfest going on.)
On a more serious side my Mother once lived in Germany during her days in the army. She picked up a piece of the Berlin Wall, she watched Saving Private Ryan in a theater there of all places, one of the locals mistaken her as Brazillian, she corrected them saying she's Puerto Rican.....they never heard of Puerto Rico :P

mchack: hehe, it's funny 'cause it's true! (gotta live through one more day of that damned oktoberfest going on.)
Bavaria is just a tiny part of Germany - here in Hamburg we don't have that problem :)

BTT: Just out of curiosity I searched a bit for "Wolfenstein 3D" and mere seconds I found several browser and download versions most of them even better than the origiinal. Since the original also since 2004 is not banned anymore but only indexed I don't think that Bethesda made the best decision in telling GOG not to sell to Germans. Well, al least from me they are now getting zero - hope they are glad! I was wondering how it would play out in front of court if you really would pirate it. "They simply just did not want my money your honor so what should I do?". It is just so ridiculous.
Elmofongo: On a more serious side my Mother once lived in Germany during her days in the army. She picked up a piece of the Berlin Wall, she watched Saving Private Ryan in a theater there of all places, one of the locals mistaken her as Brazillian, she corrected them saying she's Puerto Rican.....they never heard of Puerto Rico :P
Please stay fair - most German have a pretty well knowledge of the geography (and at least from West Side Story I know Perto Rico). Your mother might just met someone not that intelligent. But anyway Saving Private Ryan still is patriotic nonsense ;) Better watch Full Metal Jacket.
Post edited October 04, 2015 by MarkoH01
JKHSawyer: Your argument falls apart once you realize GOG doesn't ever really have a reason to add DRM except for company suicide. There are still hundreds of titles out there they can sell without breaking that 'holy principle', the one they started and based their whole store on. They have ZERO reason to add it, and they know this.
Some games like Medieval have already DRM. Victor Vran also had DRM in release version until the developer removed it partly.
In future there won't be any new titels without DRM, region locks and so on.

JKHSawyer: If they wanted to do that, they would have done it already.
They have done it already!
Post edited October 04, 2015 by classic-gamer
InfraSuperman: No. It was released as a freeware download and seems to have a "USK 16" rating, as it was also featured in the regular editions of PC Games and PC Action. I'm not sure if it changes the content depending on your system language, but when I played it back then, it didn't have any swastikas and I don't remember any blood, either.
Thanks for the info! I should have read the whole page on MobyGames before posting... :D

And just in case anyone is interested - you can download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory directly from the developer:

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/wolfenstein-enemy-territory-barracks
MarkoH01: Bavaria is just a tiny part of Germany - here in Hamburg we don't have that problem :)

BTT: Just out of curiosity I searched a bit for "Wolfenstein 3D" and mere seconds I found several browser and download versions most of them even better than the origiinal. Since the original also since 2004 is not banned anymore but only indexed I don't think that Bethesda made the best decision in telling GOG not to sell to Germans. Well, al least from me they are now getting zero - hope they are glad! I was wondering how it would play out in front of court if you really would pirate it. "They simply just did not want my money your honor so what should I do?". It is just so ridiculous.
Elmofongo: On a more serious side my Mother once lived in Germany during her days in the army. She picked up a piece of the Berlin Wall, she watched Saving Private Ryan in a theater there of all places, one of the locals mistaken her as Brazillian, she corrected them saying she's Puerto Rican.....they never heard of Puerto Rico :P
MarkoH01: Please stay fair - most German have a pretty well knowledge of the geography (and at least from West Side Story I know Perto Rico). Your mother might just met someone not that intelligent. But anyway Saving Private Ryan still is patriotic nonsense ;) Better watch Full Metal Jacket.
Of course I'm not gonna judge an entire people's intellegence based on 1 local :P

Same goes for you about West Side Story only one person in that entire movie was Puerto Rican and that was Anita and the leading lady Maria is ethnically Russian. (Still West Side Story is brilliante movie and my favorite musical)

As for Saving Private Ryan/Full Metal Jacket. Its quite the dichotimy.

When people show WW2 stories they always show a nostaligic adventure set to classical music fighting a legitmately evil enemy. But than again WW2 is not all adventuristic when you look at the Eastern Front and Pacific Theaters, not even the Western Front is all that colorful and glorious.

But with Vietnam War and its portrayed as shit, soul crushingly depressing war. With questions like "Why are all the way out here fighting some small country on the other side of the world?"
DanielRuf: This is not enough for the german law, there is no real age verification.

You can enter any date.

They are not banned, just on a list to protect minors.

Persons older than 18 years are allowed to buy and import for private use.

I bet GOG will have legal issues here and the BPjM, USK and lawyers will take a closer look regarding the protection of minors and the age verification. Until now GOG hurts many laws here.

Don't they have a german office, or at least CD Projekt?

GOG is liable.
MarkoH01: GOG is a polish business and since it is just forbidden to sell from Germany they are not really breaking anything. It ist still allowed for Germans to import any game and that is what we (the Germans) are basically do when buying a game on GOG.
Sure, but importing these games is just allowed for persons which are older than 18 years.

Anyway, GOG fails at writing secure code - again. And as distributor you have to make sure that the buyer is old enough in some way at least.

And they have to, see here for more details:

http://www.golem.de/news/jugendschutz-usk-altersfreigaben-fuer-spiele-auf-google-play-1503-113002.html
https://www.spio-fsk.de/media_content/1237.pdf

Use some browser extension to edit cookies.

A cookie is used to hide the game, checkout needs a foreign IP.
Post edited October 04, 2015 by DanielRuf
MarkoH01: GOG is a polish business and since it is just forbidden to sell from Germany they are not really breaking anything. It ist still allowed for Germans to import any game and that is what we (the Germans) are basically do when buying a game on GOG.
DanielRuf: Sure, but importing these games is just allowed for persons which are older than 18 years.

Anyway, GOG fails at writing secure code - again. And as distributor you have to make sure that the buyer is old enough in some way at least.
Not true. A foreign publisher does not have to follow German laws at all if he is selling from his country (even if the FSK would like to have it this way). I can import from UK and US whatever I want and there is no age verification process whatsoever that would be compliant with the one German laws require. German laws are simply not valid in foreign countrys - same with their laws in Germany (just think of the not valid EULAs).
Post edited October 04, 2015 by MarkoH01
JKHSawyer: Your argument falls apart once you realize GOG doesn't ever really have a reason to add DRM except for company suicide. There are still hundreds of titles out there they can sell without breaking that 'holy principle', the one they started and based their whole store on. They have ZERO reason to add it, and they know this.
classic-gamer: Some games like Medieval have already DRM. Victor Vran also had DRM in release version until the developer removed it partly.
In future there won't be any new titels without DRM, region locks and so on.

JKHSawyer: If they wanted to do that, they would have done it already.
classic-gamer: They have done it already!
I can't find anything on Medieval having DRM besides it using Galaxy, and Victor Vran's DRM is related to multiplayer too. These are not the first games to do that on GOG...

Multiplayer having or needing an account is hardly shocking. The single-player is still playable with no connection required.
Post edited October 04, 2015 by JKHSawyer
MarkoH01: Not true. A foreign publisher does not have to follow German laws at all if he is selling from his country (even if the FSK would like to have it this way). I can import from UK and US whatever I want and there is no age verification process whatsoever that would be compliant with the one German laws require. German laws are simply not valid in foreign countrys - same with their laws in Germany (just think of the not valid EULAs).
That is incorrect. See here :-)
Post edited October 04, 2015 by E_A
Elmofongo: Same goes for you about West Side Story only one person in that entire movie was Puerto Rican and that was Anita and the leading lady Maria is ethnically Russian. (Still West Side Story is brilliante movie and my favorite musical)
That is not what they are saying in the movie. All the Sharks are perto rican according to the movie. I don't know if this is different in the stageplay though (have only seen that once here in Germany with original broadway cast). But I guess that is a bit too much OT :)

Elmofongo: When people show WW2 stories they always show a nostaligic adventure set to classical music fighting a legitmately evil enemy. But than again WW2 is not all adventuristic when you look at the Eastern Front and Pacific Theaters, not even the Western Front is all that colorful and glorious.

But with Vietnam War and its portrayed as shit, soul crushingly depressing war. With questions like "Why are all the way out here fighting some small country on the other side of the world?"
I only wanted to say that it is so unbelievable that (as depiced in Saving Private Ryan) one country would risk the lives of several people just to make sure that one mother does not lose her remaining son. Full Metal Jacket may not be that realistic, too but at least it paints a grim part of the war and war imo is always grim. There are also some really grim WW2 movies out there which aren't adventuristic at all.