It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All the good, all the bad, none the ugly.

<span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, a real hog-killing time, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

The technical success of Star Wars: Dark Forces and its "Jedi" engine paved way for this solidly designed, beautifully hand drawn first person shooter. The art and sounds are half the reason to pick up <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>. The other half is the same kind of old-school run'n'gun FPS gameplay you know and love, but higher difficulties will call for a more calculated approach where every bullets counts. That goes both ways, so cover, stealth and your revolver will get plenty acquainted. <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span> offers a single-player campaign with high quality hand-drawn cutscenes, as well as a series of individual challenge maps to hone your trigger finger.

See and hear gaming's classic wild-west spectacle with <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, available now DRM-free on GOG.com.
darthspudius: Not everyone wants the over sized, mostly unsupported format that really doesn't add much to the music itself.
Shadowcat: You know that GOG doesn't force you to download bonus extras that you don't want, right?

The "Combined bonus content pack" button is only there for convenience -- you can actually click the individual items listed below, to download each one independently. So if there's something you don't want, then don't download it.
He might be talking about the galaxy client.
By the way, for those running Outlaws in Wine, there is a workaround for making the music work in general. See here.
The common bug with music stopping after hitting Esc is still there though.
Post edited March 22, 2015 by shmerl
Neonshuffler: He might be talking about the galaxy client.
That's not released for general consumption yet, right? If he's testing that and has an issue with it, then surely he would log a bug report? (Certainly that would warrant a bug report.)
Post edited March 22, 2015 by Shadowcat
Neonshuffler: He might be talking about the galaxy client.
Shadowcat: That's not released for general consumption yet, right? If he's testing that and has an issue with it, then surely he would log a bug report? (Certainly that would warrant a bug report.)
Well I would think an awful lot of people got on the testing of the alpha since it was free with a free video game.

I dunno would have to check mantis to see if its reported or not.
darthspudius: Not everyone wants the over sized, mostly unsupported format that really doesn't add much to the music itself.
Shadowcat: You know that GOG doesn't force you to download bonus extras that you don't want, right?

The "Combined bonus content pack" button is only there for convenience -- you can actually click the individual items listed below, to download each one independently. So if there's something you don't want, then don't download it.
I was more referring to the fact that the content would be great to have, there is no point in having it in a useless over sized format. Compared to say having it in a smaller more realistic format or both.
Is there a chance Outlaws could be on GOG Galaxy?
Hopefully this can be fixed.

http://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions/standard_3dfx_settings_look_horrible_changing_them_not_obvious
GOG.com: All the good, all the bad, none the ugly.

<span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, a real hog-killing time, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

The technical success of Star Wars: Dark Forces and its "Jedi" engine paved way for this solidly designed, beautifully hand drawn first person shooter. The art and sounds are half the reason to pick up <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>. The other half is the same kind of old-school run'n'gun FPS gameplay you know and love, but higher difficulties will call for a more calculated approach where every bullets counts. That goes both ways, so cover, stealth and your revolver will get plenty acquainted. <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span> offers a single-player campaign with high quality hand-drawn cutscenes, as well as a series of individual challenge maps to hone your trigger finger.

See and hear gaming's classic wild-west spectacle with <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, available now DRM-free on GOG.com.
Just a reminder:Sending in a request for GOG to fix the music issue is a lot more effective then just bitching about it on a Internet forum.
BTW,if you just load the game you just saved the music will start..

ANother save bug, the cannot change the name of a save slot after you named it.,seems to be inherent in the game;it' has always been that way. I know,I just fired up the original version on my old computer and the bug was there.
IronArcturus: Is there a chance Outlaws could be on GOG Galaxy?
Is the Pope Catholic?

The whole idea of Galaxy is to work like Steam,without the DRM. I think that every game sold on GOG will be avaialbel on Galaxy.
Post edited March 22, 2015 by dudalb
dudalb: The whole idea of Galaxy is to work like Steam,without the DRM. I think that every game sold on GOG will be avaialbel on Galaxy.
The question was obviously about multiplayer features, not about updating the installation with Galaxy. And the answer to that is - highly unlikely.
shmerl: The question was obviously about multiplayer features, not about updating the installation with Galaxy. And the answer to that is - highly unlikely.
So GOG really has no plans to use Outlaw's multiplayer abilities for GOG Galaxy?
shmerl: The question was obviously about multiplayer features, not about updating the installation with Galaxy. And the answer to that is - highly unlikely.
IronArcturus: So GOG really has no plans to use Outlaw's multiplayer abilities for GOG Galaxy?
I think they can use Galaxy in case when they have access to the network code of the game. Otherwise it would be really hard to implement, unless they'll reverse engineer it on their own. May be if they are lucky Disney can fish out source for Outlaws somehow, but I doubt it would be easy or Disney would even care about spending time on it. GOG's usual approach is "we do it, the publisher doesn't need to get involved except approving the result".
Post edited March 22, 2015 by shmerl
darthspudius: I was more referring to the fact that the content would be great to have, there is no point in having it in a useless over sized format. Compared to say having it in a smaller more realistic format or both.
Oh, I see. Well, I'd agree with you if FLAC were "a useless over sized format." But it's not. FLAC is very specifically useful, and it's about as small as the engineers could practically make it for that use-case. Don't download it if you don't want it, but please don't complain that GOG is making it available in the first place.

darthspudius: I was more referring to the fact that the content would be great to have, there is no point in having it in a useless over sized format. Compared to say having it in a smaller more realistic format or both.
FLAC is like an audio-cd without all its downsides. Maximum quality with convenient handling at smallest possible filesize.
Nobody stops you from downgrading it to a smaller format with a transcoder.

I'm having all my stuff in FLAC (archive+stationary) and OGG (mobile) if possible and am annoyed when stuff still comes as MP3 only.

If anything is obsolete today it's MP3 because the quality/filesize-ratio isn't good for current standards.
Post edited March 23, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: FLAC is like an audio-cd without all its downsides. Maximum quality with convenient handling at smallest possible filesize.
Nobody stops you from downgrading it to a smaller format with a transcoder.

I'm having all my stuff in FLAC (archive+stationary) and OGG (mobile) if possible and am annoyed when stuff still comes as MP3 only.

If anything is obsolete today it's MP3 because the quality/filesize-ratio isn't good for current standards.
Agreed.. I kind of understand the use of MP3 or OGG because of the file sizes.. but if anything is obsolete it's lossy codecs.

I mean the audio CD equipment came out in 1982. 33 (!) years later we're using inferior quality formats. I mean WTF.

There isn't even a decent DRM-free music store that would sell lossless music, I mean with a wide catalog. Only lossy stores, like iTunes.

Sorry for the off topic but I think lossy codecs just need to go away. Just like Silverlight, just like Flash player...

[/rant]
Daliz: Agreed.. I kind of understand the use of MP3 or OGG because of the file sizes.. but if anything is obsolete it's lossy codecs.
Lossy codecs are not obsolete. Pushing lossless audio for playback is a pointless waste of resources. Both lossy and lossless codecs are needed.

Let's put it this way - in the end you care about 2 things. #1: Having no degradation of the audible sound, and #2 having an ability to reencode to any format you want while keeping rule #1. #1 can be achieved even with lossy codec if you use a proper encoder. All of them have a transparency level, i.e. bitrate at which you hear no difference from the lossless original. However they can't achieve #2. The moment you reencode even from transparently encoded lossy codec to another lossy codec, there will be degradation of quality. So for #2 you need a lossless one.

That's why you should store audio in both (if we are talking about music at least). Lossy codec at transparency (Opus for example with acceptable bitrate), and lossless codec (FLAC). First one you can use for playback whenever you want (there won't be any audible difference). Second one you can use when you want to reencode to some new super duper lossy codec that can come out tomorrow which will reduce size and bitrate for its transparecny level even more.

So to clarify, it's pretty wasteful and pointless to use lossless codecs like FALC for playback. But it doesn't mean they aren't needed. They are needed for storing master copies.

In general a good article on the related subject: [url=https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html]https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html[/url]
Post edited March 23, 2015 by shmerl