It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All the good, all the bad, none the ugly.

<span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, a real hog-killing time, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

The technical success of Star Wars: Dark Forces and its "Jedi" engine paved way for this solidly designed, beautifully hand drawn first person shooter. The art and sounds are half the reason to pick up <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>. The other half is the same kind of old-school run'n'gun FPS gameplay you know and love, but higher difficulties will call for a more calculated approach where every bullets counts. That goes both ways, so cover, stealth and your revolver will get plenty acquainted. <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span> offers a single-player campaign with high quality hand-drawn cutscenes, as well as a series of individual challenge maps to hone your trigger finger.

See and hear gaming's classic wild-west spectacle with <span class="bold">Outlaws + Handful of Missions</span>, available now DRM-free on GOG.com.
Soccorro: I tell you what to do, go take a look at a PM that has been sent to you...
Nice!
YES YES YES!!!!

FINALLY!!! Ever since GOG was first launched, people have wanted Outlaws.

Outlaws is the best FPS ever, bar none. Even the music is the best of any game ever made. Ennio Morricone standard.

I'm so pumped, can't wait to get home from work and play it.

WHERE ARE YA MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the very best classic shooters!

I've felt compelled to comment on it a bunch of times over the years, so I've just dredged up some of those quotes...

This game is worth playing for its superb atmosphere (including a wonderful musical score) and its gameplay when set to the "ugly" difficulty level (the ONLY way to play this game, btw... it just turns into a regular shooter if you set it to the easier levels.)

Not that I don't die with some degree of regularity playing on Ugly difficulty :) It's just that I like the tactical gameplay that the level forces you to adopt. The manual even refers to it as "the true Outlaws experience", which I can only agree with. Sure you die easily, but then so do they!

You just have to adopt the mindset that you're going to get the drop on them before they get the drop on you. Make good use of any available cover, snipe from long distance as often as possible, be aware of your surroundings, and don't forget about the benefits of dynamite :)
I like reloading. Outlaws taught me the immersive joy of weapons that didn't magically insert new ammunition when the old was expended. Suddenly you can't just step out and spray endless bullets at people... you have to think about how many shots you'll get off before having to get behind cover again (the first shotgun in Outlaws could hold only one shell!), and it forces you to adapt your tactics. Just having the feature there tends to make it a more immersive experience -- even just the occasional feeling of panic when you step out, take aim, and... *click*... "empty clip! argh!" makes it worth it IMO :)
Graphics aren't what counts in Outlaws, though, which is why it's still fun!

Once you've practiced enough to familiarise yourself with it, ignore the first two difficulty levels (Good, and Bad) and only play on the 'Ugly' setting (gotta love the theme) On this setting, bullets are deadly. Most opponents will go down with one or two shots. The flip side is that you can't take much damage either.

The name of the game then becomes tactics. Staying behind cover; taking note of the surroundings; popping out to unload a shotgun round, then ducking back behind a wall again to reload; using your rifle scope to take out enemies at long range; throwing a stick of dynamite at a nearby group. Your vulnerability induces quite a bit of tension!

The enemy A.I. is poor, but they're still deadly if you leave yourself exposed.

Some reviewers made much of the fact that this was a shooter with a plot, but to be honest, anyone who had played UU or System Shock would have just laughed at this suggestion. While LG's plots are thoroughly integrated into the gameplay, Outlaws merely has cutscenes, with almost no hint of the plot during the levels, and the story is really very shallow. The opener does put you in the mood, however.

The music is fabulous; truly some of the best game music ever written, and all completely fitting the western theme. In fact, the entire presentation is superb in that regard.

You ought to be able to find it cheaply, and I highly recommend it. It's not perfect, but for what it is it's very well done indeed, and there's nothing else like it out there. (A sequel made with modern technology could be utterly brilliant.)
4. http://www.mobygames.com/game/outlaws/reviews/platformId,3/reviewerId,5817/

Finally, LucasArts gave quite excellent support to this game, with a D3D patch being made available approximately four years after the game was released! It's great to see it on GOG at last -- like many people, I've been hanging out for this one ever since the first LucasArts wave was announced!
Post edited March 20, 2015 by Shadowcat
AAAhhhhhh, the first soundtrack, that plays during the first mission. Gets you into the right mood for some Clint Eastwood justice.
want to see a movie that is a great complement to outlaws?
west and soda a 60s western italian spagetti animation
an example of the perfect movie for GOG to sell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_and_Soda
Will the German version be released too?
Soccorro: AAAhhhhhh, the first soundtrack, that plays during the first mission. Gets you into the right mood for some Clint Eastwood justice.
I totally agree. Listening to the soundtrack now at work.

I wish I could play the game right now. :'(
Post edited March 20, 2015 by Experiment513
oldschool: Outlaws still one of the most compelling soundtracks, even by today"s standards. Where are you Marshall? Sorry, I couldn't help myself 8).
Soundtrack (created by Clint Bajakian) is definitely great and inspired by Ennio Morricone's works.

Original game had audio CD tracks (which you could copy into lossless FLAC or whatever). GOG release has Vorbis compressed music at 320 Kbps, which is a huge overkill, Vorbis is better than MP3 and doesn't require such insane bitrate for audio transparency. Something at level of 170-200 Kbps already could have been enough.

Still, it's not lossless, so you can't reencode to let's say Opus without losing quality. So I hope GOG will add FLAC version to the game extras.
Post edited March 20, 2015 by shmerl
I cant wait to shoot the crap out of Bloody Mary Nash the old bat
Soccorro: AAAhhhhhh, the first soundtrack, that plays during the first mission. Gets you into the right mood for some Clint Eastwood justice.
Do you know if there is a way to use the Backspace key when typing in a Save on Outlaws? For some reason it won't let me edit the filename in any way.
IronArcturus: Do you know if there is a way to use the Backspace key when typing in a Save on Outlaws? For some reason it won't let me edit the filename in any way.
For me it doesn't work at all so far (I can't even type the name of the savegame).
Post edited March 20, 2015 by shmerl
IronArcturus: Do you know if there is a way to use the Backspace key when typing in a Save on Outlaws? For some reason it won't let me edit the filename in any way.
i have the same problem :/
triple_l: want to see a movie that is a great complement to outlaws?
west and soda a 60s western italian spagetti animation
an example of the perfect movie for GOG to sell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_and_Soda
thank you for this info
Going to try and grab this as soon as next month rolls around wish I could get it today only got like $2 on my card left lol but it's so nice to finally see it here never got to get very far into it way back when like at the train I think? Love the artstyle and all these old fps games but I remember really enjoying it and i'm happy to see all these posts about it here on the forums GOG is doing great work i'm telling you. I hope you all are enjoying this classic!
MulderYuffie: Going to try and grab this as soon as next month rolls around wish I could get it today only got like $2 on my card left lol but it's so nice to finally see it here never got to get very far into it way back when like at the train I think? Love the artstyle and all these old fps games but I remember really enjoying it and i'm happy to see all these posts about it here on the forums GOG is doing great work i'm telling you. I hope you all are enjoying this classic!
Why wait? :D