It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Developed by Kojima Productions and PlatinumGames, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE takes the renowned METAL GEAR franchise into exciting new territory with an all-new action experience – and it’s now available on GOG, with a -40% launch discount until July 11th, 1 PM UTC!

The game seamlessly melds pure action and epic story-telling that surrounds Raiden – a child soldier transformed into a half-human, half-cyborg ninja who uses his High Frequency katana blade to cut through any thing that stands in his vengeful path.

Now on GOG!
Hey all! Just a quick update regarding some region locks for MGR:

Region locks for METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE are the same as they are on other platforms (e.g. Steam). The game was available to purchase in some of the locked regions yesterday for a brief moment, which was our omission and we apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience that could have been caused by it.
Post edited July 05, 2024 by king_kunat
idbeholdME: How interconnected are the Metal Gear games? Just wondering if one has to have a general idea of the world and story, or if the game is somewhat standalone. Never played a MG game before.
.Keys: Very.
All games out there tie to each other in ways that a single post will never be able to summarise.
Does that apply also to pre-MGS games (Metal Gear 1-2)? Do they give any meaningful background to the canon?

And NES & MSX versions alike, or is it more the MSX versions which offer any story? NES also had the non-canon sequel "Snake's Revenge", is it irrelevant?
Berzerk2k2: Let me tell you: if you do you're in for a wild ride.
Syphon72: The only thing I know are the memes about the finally boss. lol
Me too, but the rocking OST also. Apparently it's very "anime action", in a DMC way. Even more SCI-FI than the ordinary series, starring a highly visible cyber-ninja (is it you, Casshern?). As to the final boss..well, everybody knows synthol...ehrr,,, nanomachines are bad
.Keys: That's surprising...

This is the kind of game you play for the hack'n'slash gameplay, but you actually stay for the music and repeat it 5 times over just to listen each boss music again feeling that adrenaline bump.

Such a fun game, albeit too easy even on Hard. On Revengeance though, the last difficulty option, things get fun.

Tips for new players from a long time player:

Don't mash buttons. Breath. Think.
Parry in this game is an essential mechanic.
Don't try to dodge everything.
In this game you are rewarded for playing aggressively, chaining defense parries with continuous attacks.

There's nothing like this game on GOG right now.
I dare say not even DMC series plays like this.

Also:

There is probably a good chance of Bayonetta series coming here now!
Bayonetta? Why not latest Castlevanias instead?
Post edited July 08, 2024 by marcob
marcob: Bayonetta? Why not latest Castlevanias instead?
The original came out around a year after Bayonetta so who knows maybe both? One can hope. Though I'll admit to never having played it. Though I have heard at least the first part was pretty fun.
timppu: Does that apply also to pre-MGS games (Metal Gear 1-2)? Do they give any meaningful background to the canon?

And NES & MSX versions alike, or is it more the MSX versions which offer any story? NES also had the non-canon sequel "Snake's Revenge", is it irrelevant?
The first MGS in particular references the previous two games (the MSX versions) quite frequently. So they're well worth playing, imo. Especially Metal Gear 2. It's unusually heavy on story for a game from that time.
Nunya_009: The original came out around a year after Bayonetta so who knows maybe both? One can hope. Though I'll admit to never having played it. Though I have heard at least the first part was pretty fun.
Bayonetta is amazing. Unfortunately there's no PC version of the second part available iirc so for now we have to cross this of our list.
Post edited July 08, 2024 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: Bayonetta is amazing. Unfortunately there's no PC version of the second part available iirc so for now we have to cross this of our list.
For now? Bayo2 (and 3 for that matter if anyone cares for it) will likely never be officially ported to PC, because mr.Nintendo doesn't like PC much... and that's a rather big understatement. We could ask him nicely to drop us some crumbs, but I'm afraid he is busy burning down another rom-site or emulator.
Spectrum_Legacy: but I'm afraid he is busy burning down another rom-site or emulator.
Or randomizer mod
.Keys: Very.
All games out there tie to each other in ways that a single post will never be able to summarise.
timppu: Does that apply also to pre-MGS games (Metal Gear 1-2)? Do they give any meaningful background to the canon?

The timeline of the games is the following

MGS3 -> Peace Walker -> MGS5 -> MG -> MG2 -> MGS1 -> MGS2 -> MGS4 -> MGR

MG and MG2 story points are referenced in MGS1 but they always seemed kind of seperate until MGS5 tied them into the story a bit more forcibly imo. MGR is also in a more distant future and you dont need to know the stories of the previous entries to enjoy it, although it helps to have played MGS2 and MGS4 to know who MC Raiden is.
I never played any Metal Gear game and the only thing I know about the games is that they are focused on stealth. I finished MGR yesterday (main story at least) and the main character seems to know some of the guys he will meet and he also is mentioning a few conflicts that happened in the past but other than that I did not have the feeling that I could not follow the story - which btw is much deeper than I expected it to be.
Syphon72: The only thing I know are the memes about the finally boss. lol
marcob: Me too, but the rocking OST also. Apparently it's very "anime action", in a DMC way. Even more SCI-FI than the ordinary series, starring a highly visible cyber-ninja (is it you, Casshern?). As to the final boss..well, everybody knows synthol...ehrr,,, nanomachines are bad
.Keys: That's surprising...

This is the kind of game you play for the hack'n'slash gameplay, but you actually stay for the music and repeat it 5 times over just to listen each boss music again feeling that adrenaline bump.

Such a fun game, albeit too easy even on Hard. On Revengeance though, the last difficulty option, things get fun.

Tips for new players from a long time player:

Don't mash buttons. Breath. Think.
Parry in this game is an essential mechanic.
Don't try to dodge everything.
In this game you are rewarded for playing aggressively, chaining defense parries with continuous attacks.

There's nothing like this game on GOG right now.
I dare say not even DMC series plays like this.

Also:

There is probably a good chance of Bayonetta series coming here now!
Why not both Bayonetta and the latest Castlevanias?
marcob: Me too, but the rocking OST also. Apparently it's very "anime action", in a DMC way. Even more SCI-FI than the ordinary series, starring a highly visible cyber-ninja (is it you, Casshern?). As to the final boss..well, everybody knows synthol...ehrr,,, nanomachines are bad

Bayonetta? Why not latest Castlevanias instead?
MysterD: Why not both Bayonetta and the latest Castlevanias?
We all agree that if it was on our hands, all of them would be already here. :P
...can't own the soundtrack with it? :( Are we ever gonna get that too??
high rated
In case someone is wondering how you could access the DLCs or how to watch cinematics or access bosses directly:
After completing the base game you wil get the option to select the two DLCs from the chapter menu (they are two additional chapters marked in red). You will also get access to replay the codecs. However to get the cinematics option and the option to replay bosses you'll need to finish both DLCs as well. Since this is a KONAMI game there is an option to unlock all of this at the beginning ;)
Post edited July 10, 2024 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: Since the game does a pretty bad job explaining itself in the tutorial I really recommend watching this if you should have trouble with the fighting system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o
MarkoH01: In case someone is wondering how you could access the DLCs or how to watch cinematics or access bosses directly:
After completing the base game you wil get the option to select the two DLCs from the chapter menu (they are two additional chapters marked in red). You will also get access to replay the codecs. However to get the cinematics option and the option to replay bosses you'll need to finish both DLCs as well. Since this is a KONAMI game there is an option to unlock all of this at the beginning ;)
Thanks for the infos.