It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Developed by Kojima Productions and PlatinumGames, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE takes the renowned METAL GEAR franchise into exciting new territory with an all-new action experience – and it’s now available on GOG, with a -40% launch discount until July 11th, 1 PM UTC!

The game seamlessly melds pure action and epic story-telling that surrounds Raiden – a child soldier transformed into a half-human, half-cyborg ninja who uses his High Frequency katana blade to cut through any thing that stands in his vengeful path.

Now on GOG!
Hey all! Just a quick update regarding some region locks for MGR:

Region locks for METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE are the same as they are on other platforms (e.g. Steam). The game was available to purchase in some of the locked regions yesterday for a brief moment, which was our omission and we apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience that could have been caused by it.
Post edited July 05, 2024 by king_kunat
tfishell: Would METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Definitive Experience (which seems to have both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain) be the next logical release? Assuming Master Collection is unlikely.
I think it still has Denuvo and Konami doesn't seem to want to remove it...
wolfsite: Been playing in Linux and it's running quite well.

Using Wine-ge-26-x86_64 which is the default wrapper in Lutris and only thing I noticed was a quick and brief hiccup in a movie but aside from that ran perfectly fine.
Platinum did an amazing job with Rising. This game is really well optimized.

idbeholdME: How interconnected are the Metal Gear games? Just wondering if one has to have a general idea of the world and story, or if the game is somewhat standalone. Never played a MG game before.
Very.
All games out there tie to each other in ways that a single post will never be able to summarise.
But have no fear my friend, you can still enjoy it as it is very different gameplay-wise than the other games in the series.
So much so that Kojima productions initially had an idea for the game but after a while they noticed that they couldn't produce something worth of Raiden's sword/gameplay style at this moment in his story.

That's why they called Platinum games, giving them the liberty and overall ideas of what Kojima productions wanted.
The result is one of the best Hack'N'Slash game ever made. (No exaggeration here.)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the last one in the chronological order, that is, less than 10 years after Metal Gear Solid 4.
Some think its not canon, but I personally think it is, plus a good way to "finish" Raiden's story that fits his arc before and after the events of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4.

You might think, "wait, what about Metal Gear Solid V then?"
Well, MGSV happens long before MGS4. But then we would need to explain many other characters and lore...

Here's the chronological order though (main games):

Metal Gear Solid 3 > Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker > Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes >
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain > Metal Gear 1 > Metal Gear 2 > Metal Gear Solid 1 >
Metal Gear Solid 2 > Metal Gear Solid 4 > Metal Gear Rising

People that never even heard about MGS universe will be really confused in this game because it is an homage to the whole series with many (and I mean many) story, lore, universe, themes and characters references that only people who played most of the games would understand.

Still, anyone that can enjoy a heavy action focused game "turning their brains off and learning simple to understand but hard to master mechanics" will enjoy Rising a lot.

tfishell: Would METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Definitive Experience (which seems to have both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain) be the next logical release? Assuming Master Collection is unlikely.
Unfortunately, my bet is no or not so soon.
MGSV multiplayer is a big part of the gameplay of this game and story/lore.
Some upgrades for your base are online only, single player late game equipment development is tied to online multiplayer events and PvP also.

For something like this to happen, Konami would need to give GOG the permission to basically change how the game works entirely and not only "remove the online" from the game like with other ports.

Though the community created many patches and mods that allow for offline development of online only stuff, so maybe GOG could contact modders for a help here.

Modder's Heaven discord server is the place to ask if GOG ever wanted to do something like this.

Also:

alexandros050: I think it still has Denuvo and Konami doesn't seem to want to remove it...
This is true. I tend to try to backup my Steam games offline normally or using available tools but some games just don't give up from their DRM. lol

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes works without Steam using tools like Goldberg emulator.
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain though.. is a pain. It tries to connect to Konami servers to the point that I couldn't even play it using Proton on Linux.
Post edited July 05, 2024 by .Keys
alexandros050: I think it still has Denuvo and Konami doesn't seem to want to remove it...
Ah crap you're right. Apparently Master Collection doesn't have it though, interestingly (or at least the one I looked at, METAL GEAR SOLID).
jackolman675: still region locked. turn it loose guys!
Same here, somehow Konami hates SEA players
Aaaaand... it's now blocked. It was too good to be true. Oh well.
What a mouthful name
There should be an option to download Metal Gear Rising without cutscenes. They take up a full 21GB of space, for low quality pre-rendered video!. Without them the game only takes up 3.3GB.

Yeah on one hand you'll miss most of the story, but you can just watch them on Youtube. It's not worth the space premium given how bad they look.
king_kunat: Hey all! Just a quick update regarding some region locks for MGR:

Unfortunately, region locks for MGR will be/are the same as on Steam. It was our omission yesterday and we apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience that could have been caused by it :( We're fixing it as we speak.
That's ok, I bought the game already yesterday so your region-locks against Finland don't work on me, nuh uh.

If Japan ever region-locks their games from Finnish, I promise we will retaliate by blocking everything related to Moomins from the Japanese! How do you feel about that, huh? No more Moomins for you, you must learn to live and raise your kids without Moomins and they will become uncontrollable loudmouth nuisances like Little My ("Pikku Myy").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomins
high rated

Unfortunately, region locks for MGR will be/are the same as on Steam. It was our omission yesterday and we apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience that could have been caused by it :( We're fixing it as we speak.
timppu: That's ok, I bought the game already yesterday so your region-locks against Finland don't work on me, nuh uh.

If Japan ever region-locks their games from Finnish, I promise we will retaliate by blocking everything related to Moomins from the Japanese! How do you feel about that, huh? No more Moomins for you, you must learn to live and raise your kids without Moomins and they will become uncontrollable loudmouth nuisances like Little My ("Pikku Myy").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomins
In Poland, we all watched Moomins in our childhood, so if we ever do something wrong to Finland and you guys block Moomins-related stuff for us - we're pretty much done for.
This release was a great (positive) surprise for me. Didn't expect such a Konami title here.

And in case anyone is confused - the achievements are present, just somebody forgot switching the setting from dev mode and hence the actual list is hidden.
And bought ;)
This Summer Sale feels geared towards Japanese devs, first RE, now MGR (not a complaint, this is great, especially with how historically difficult it is to convince either Capcom or Konami to have DRM-free releases)
Maybe now Bayonetta and/or Vanquish are next? SEGA, Your turn :D

Since a blue is in the thread:
@king_kunat - will achievements be made visible?
Seeing MGR here, I am absolutely stoked, would like to hope for a possible release of the other MGS game on GOG someday :)

And Kojima, please release death stranding on GOG as well, I messaged their publisher but they told me that they have no plans on releasing it on GOG :(
So... why is the PC version region locked in Asia but not PS3?

I didn't know that the game comes with restrictions. What countries are blicked by Gog, Publisher? That is interesting choice (if russia blocked by Publisher = that is OK, that is the right choice of The Community of civilized countries)!