It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Medieval Battlefields is an indie fast-paced turn-based strategy game – and it’s now available on GOG, with a -33% launch discount until October 21st, 1 PM UTC!

Train your armies, build your castles and improve your war equipment! You can be a knight of the English Crown, a champion of the French Court or a fierce Viking marauder.

Now on GOG!
"fast-paced turn-based"

This oxymoron just keeps perpetuating. (The game does look enjoyable. But that description is impossible.)
Post edited 13 hours ago by mqstout
Interesting. Looks like something I might enjoy a lot, but I wish there was a demo to see how it actually plays.
mqstout: "fast-paced turn-based"

This oxymoron just keeps perpetuating. (The game does look enjoyable. But that description is impossible.)
I disagree. No oxymoron here. There are a bunch of truly fast-paced turn-based games (Shogun Showdown, for example...) Whether this game fits into that description, that's another story...

Lone_Scout: I disagree. No oxymoron here. There are a bunch of truly fast-paced turn-based games (Shogun Showdown, for example...) Whether this game fits into that description, that's another story...
Something cannot be fast-paced and turn-based.
mqstout: Something cannot be fast-paced and turn-based.
What if there's a short time limit in which to take your turn (not that I would like that)?
Generally, but not always. Things like speed chess exist. Basically what Breja said.

Lone_Scout: I disagree. No oxymoron here. There are a bunch of truly fast-paced turn-based games (Shogun Showdown, for example...) Whether this game fits into that description, that's another story...
I agree! Some games, even slightly old, go as far as having more than one gameplay loop/way of solving turns, so they have a slow turn mode and a fast turn mode

However I find this game's graphics too minimal, I hoped it to be more immersive..
Post edited 10 hours ago by marcob
Breja: What if there's a short time limit in which to take your turn (not that I would like that)?
If there's a time limit, it's not actually turn-based to me. You've made it real-time.

(It's also likely going to be trash.)
Post edited 10 hours ago by mqstout
Breja: What if there's a short time limit in which to take your turn (not that I would like that)?
mqstout: If there's a time limit, it's not actually turn-based to me. You've made it real-time.
No offense, but that's clearly nonsense. Real time is not "quickly played turns". No matter what time limit you'd put on a turn in Heroes of Might and Magic, you won't turn it into Warcraft.
mqstout: If there's a time limit, it's not actually turn-based to me. You've made it real-time.
Breja: No offense, but that's clearly nonsense. Real time is not "quickly played turns". No matter what time limit you'd put on a turn in Heroes of Might and Magic, you won't turn it into Warcraft.
Once a clock is involved, real time applies. Unless you can stop the timer and actually make it proper turns to take your time. (I accept "real-time with pause" games.) If the timer auto-passes, it becomes realtime.

And, yes, a RTS is a game with rapidly passing, auto-ending and resolving "turns".
Post edited 10 hours ago by mqstout
Breja: No offense, but that's clearly nonsense. Real time is not "quickly played turns". No matter what time limit you'd put on a turn in Heroes of Might and Magic, you won't turn it into Warcraft.
mqstout: Once a clock is involved, real time applies. Unless you can stop the timer and actually make it proper turns to take your time. (I accept "real-time with pause" games.) If the timer auto-passes, it becomes realtime.

And, yes, a RTS is a game with rapidly passing, auto-ending and resolving "turns".
Uhm... no. In a real time game, there are no turns. And when the players take turns, by definition, it's turn based, not real time. Yes, in video games there are egde cases that like you describe that try to merge the two. But that doesn't change the fact that in real time a cavalry charge doesn't stop in the middle of the field for everyone else to make their move, and the fact the player only had X amount of time to decide where to send the cavalry doesn't change that.
Post edited 10 hours ago by Breja
Breja: Uhm... no. In a real time game, there are no turns. And when the players take turns, by definition, it's turn based, not real time. Yes, in video games there are egde cases that like you describe that try to merge the two. But that doesn't change the fact that in real time a cavalry charge doesn't stop in the middle of the field for everyone else to make their move, and the fact the player only had X amount of time to decide where to send the cavalry doesn't change that.
None of this changes that "fast-paced" and "turn-based" are logically inconsistent. Pick one.
Developer of the game here, both of you have some good points :)

In any case, our reasoning behind this 'controversial description' was that the game was designed in a way that turns usually don't take a lot of time. Thus making the game feel more dynamic while still retaining all the benefits of a turn based game.

As opposed to Heroes of Might and Magic and Lords of the Realm games where turns can take quite a lot of time, which was a pain for me during multiplayer sessions.
Hence the desire to create a more 'fast-paced' turn based game.
Breja: Uhm... no. In a real time game, there are no turns. And when the players take turns, by definition, it's turn based, not real time. Yes, in video games there are egde cases that like you describe that try to merge the two. But that doesn't change the fact that in real time a cavalry charge doesn't stop in the middle of the field for everyone else to make their move, and the fact the player only had X amount of time to decide where to send the cavalry doesn't change that.
mqstout: None of this changes that "fast-paced" and "turn-based" are logically inconsistent. Pick one.
But that just isn't true. Unless you also think that no book can be slow or fast-paced (because it's all page-turn-based), and no movie can be fast-paced (same amount of frames per second)?

The pacing can refer to different things. It can indeed refer to a required reaction speed from the player, which would as you wrote be entirely inconsistent with turn-based play. But it can also refer to story progression. How long battles last. How substantial is the difference between turns.
Different aspects can have different pacing, and different meaning of what pace means.