It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A space oddity.

<span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program</span>, the video-game space simulator, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, with a 25% launch discount!

It's here! Since it first showed up on our gamedars, <span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program</span> has managed to go viral a few times over. Today it hits the big 1.0, and we couldn't be more excited to welcome the ultimate and amazing space-program simulator to GOG.com. With a premise as deceptively simple as "build a working starship", <span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program's</span> success is in creating the perfect blend of realism, ridiculousness, and learning. Learn from the game, learn from the community, learn from your own dumb mistakes. It's a game in which you win when you lose, and win even more when you finally succeed. With fully-fledged, physics-based space flight, a vast solar system of moons and planets, unbelievable customisability, and nearly limitless mod support, <span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program</span> is the one, unique game that everyone should try at least once.

Once you actually manage to launch your ship into orbit, once you're past your first moon landing, and once you step foot on your first alien planet - check out kerbalstuff.com, where over 500 mods await to turn your game up, or inside out, with more tweaks and additions than you can imagine.

Float in a most peculiar way in <span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The 25% discount will last until Sunday, May 3, at 4:59 PM GMT.
darkangelz: only when i was about to end my session did i find out how to properly build symetrical parts.
Telika: Speaking of which, i have a question.

Once you've added symetrical attachments to your central piece, how can you perfectly align the symetrical parts that you wish to add on them ?

I mean, is there a way to ensure that the center of your added piece will align with the center of the central piece and the attachment ? I often end up accidentally attaching the new pieces a bit to the side of the attachment, with the whole making, say, a bit of a spiral instead of a straight cross.

Does that make sense ?
Yeah, putting boosters and tanks on radial decouplers can be complicated, since you don't really see what you're doing. The button right next to the symetry one helps a little (it puts parts in fixed positions around circular rockets rather than completely free), but mostly, you'll have to find a good point of view and try until you get it right. Larger decouplers are easier to work with.
Note that if you are playing the full release (not the demo), you can copy or save those "aligned decoupler+booster" subassemblies to make your life easier on future rockets.
evilnancyreagan: Aerodynamics?!

We don't need no stinkin' aerodynamics!

just struts, lots and lots of struts...
Kardwill: Errr, you might have a nasty surprise in 1.0 and their new athmosphere model, then. I know I did when my latest contraption overheated and burned during a 2100m/s athmospheric reentry.
Well, at least the explosions were pretty, and I have a reason using those drogue chute, fairings, heat shields and electronics bays ;)
Then I'm gonna get a rude shock as I always aim to get 2000+m/s as my lower atmosphere escape velocity.
I am not joking; if I'm not pulling 2km/s at 10000 feet, nucleating atmosphere I built it wrong.

Shadowcat: I don't even mind it being in the game (obviously a successful launch is a big part of the game),
Kardwill: Well, exploding at launch IS a big part of the game. It's a pretty honest trailer, frankly. Happened to me quite often (including the "I pressed spacebar, but the 'chute didn't deploy. What the... Oh shit, I forgot to put one!" part). Difficult to avoid reminding people of that accident.
And most of their other trailers show some kind of horrendous accident (rockets crashing though buildings, astronauts stranded on the moon and waiting for a rescue mission that will never come, catastrophic spacesuit depressurisation...) caused by kerbal stupidity.

But yeah, this trailer felt more realistic than most of the previous ones. I had my own (small, nontraumatic, but still there) Challenger flashback.
So long as the rockets don't hit upper atmosphere and suddenly start rolling around like a ball for NO APPARENT REASON.
This has been a long standing issue.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by MaceyNeil
Telika: Speaking of which, i have a question.

Once you've added symetrical attachments to your central piece, how can you perfectly align the symetrical parts that you wish to add on them ?

I mean, is there a way to ensure that the center of your added piece will align with the center of the central piece and the attachment ? I often end up accidentally attaching the new pieces a bit to the side of the attachment, with the whole making, say, a bit of a spiral instead of a straight cross.

Does that make sense ?
Kardwill: Yeah, putting boosters and tanks on radial decouplers can be complicated, since you don't really see what you're doing. The button right next to the symetry one helps a little (it puts parts in fixed positions around circular rockets rather than completely free), but mostly, you'll have to find a good point of view and try until you get it right. Larger decouplers are easier to work with.
Note that if you are playing the full release (not the demo), you can copy or save those "aligned decoupler+booster" subassemblies to make your life easier on future rockets.
Try building a working rover, then come back to me about alignment problems.
I've made several types from a lander can (looked like a mars rover) to a trike (didn't work too badly as it was hard NOT to recover from a tip) all the way up to a mega beast of a solar array.
The attachement system needs a click a to attached here click b to attach there for things like I bars, paneling and certainly something better for the adapter splitters to allow them to be re-combiners.
Actually if you want some really usefull tips and I know it's apain in the arse, but find a good key configuration list and memorize a few nice ones (like the ones allowing you to tilt parts at weird angles like engines to increase centrifical force arguably sometimes the best way of stabilizing a ship at the mercy of the system when it's physics goes haywire)
Beerox: Anyone in doubt, google the "KSP Build Fly Dream" fan trailer. Music aside, this all comes from live gameplay. If the vid gives you the chills, then buy the game without hesitation.

I recommend science mode for anyone new to the game. You get introduced to new concepts a little at a time, there is no penalty for dead astronauts and blown up rockets, it's just learn at your own pace and have a good time.

You don't even need to read a bunch of tutorials really, just go to the hangar and start building something. Go to launch, and figure out how NOT to do things :) Back to hangar and you'll figure it out.

A unique game. Probably not for everyone but if you think you might like it, you'll probably love it.
Unless they've got decent tech balancing yet i suggest not, you end up realizing pretty early the only line you should invest in is the line that opens research options like 'the research bay' as you end up getting such squat returns that it seems nigh impossible to get to orbital docking to make your fuel station to really allow space conquest.
Lets also face facts landing and return of craft is where the big money sci points are and you can't do that without adequate fuel, and adequate fuel with their continual nerfing is about having a fuel station in orbit.
I had FAR more fun in sandbox than in either campaign or science mode; a new person should ALWAYS start in sandbox.

All the toys none of the bullshit they're still trying to balance right; the only thing it's missing are goals really and if you go to the forums.... bam.

Hell here's one for you make a rocket that survives going at 2km/s at between 10k-25k feet with the apparent new heat buildup problems.
Want anouther? Go to the North Pole of Kerbin using rocket propulsion to land; that should get your skills up with how to read what you need to correctly adjust.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by MaceyNeil
0Grapher: All right, thank you :)
So Linux really isn't available yet.
JudasIscariot: And now it is :D
note that the linux version actually comes with a 32bit and a 64bit binary. The "32bit only" information from the game page is wrong as far as linux is concerned.

MaceyNeil: Hell here's one for you make a rocket that survives going at 2km/s at between 10k-25k feet with the apparent new heat buildup problems.
the first thing you will learn with the new atmosphere physics is that all the crazy stuff won't fly anymore ;)
don't go too fast, especially in the lower atmosphere
too much thrust can very quickly kill your rocket
no sudden, big turns - instead do it slowly, gradually - keep your nose near the prograde marker

and if you get frustrated by your pod+heatshield constantly flipping over and exploding, that is a bug
go the official forums, add-on releases, first thread (called stock bug fixes or so)

from my first impression the tech tree has still some problems and weird choices. On the other hand, by now you have so many options available if you go right to the sandbox, it can be a bit overwhelming.
MaceyNeil: a new person should ALWAYS start in sandbox.
I disagree on this one. For the newbie, Science mode allows a more progressive discovery, rather than dropping you in hundred of parts all at once.
You can then go to Sandbox once you've built some rockets and got a general "feel" of the most basic parts, sure, but I heavily recommend Science for the first steps (Well, after the "build" and "pilot" tutorials, obviously)
MaceyNeil: So long as the rockets don't hit upper atmosphere and suddenly start rolling around like a ball for NO APPARENT REASON.
This has been a long standing issue.
My own rockets often do that in 1.0. But I think it's mostly a problem of having center of mass at the rear (especially as my fueltanks are drained), and friction at the top. It's like throwing a dart feather-first : Not very stable.
Rockets with an heavy second stage (and thus an heavier "tip") have proven more stable for me, thus far. Adding winglets at the bottom, trying to limit my speed and not doing violent manoeuvers at low altitude helped, too.

But getting to orbit is harder than in 0.9, that's for sure...
Post edited April 29, 2015 by Kardwill
GOG.com: Float in a most peculiar way in <span class="bold">Kerbal Space Program</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The 25% discount will last for four days, until Friday, April 1, at 4:59 PM GMT.
April 1st
There is actually 339 days till April 1st not 4.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by xxswatelitexx
I got the demo working okay last night which is more than I expected. Strange because there are games here with lesser specs that run a lot worse.

I may have to reconsider this.
tinyE: I got the demo working okay last night which is more than I expected. Strange because there are games here with lesser specs that run a lot worse.

I may have to reconsider this.
I actually just found out about the demo and came here to ask two questions...

Is it DRM free or does it require a Steam account?

Does it have the "new" physics / atmosphere modelling the guy in the GoG Twitch mentioned? Is it a "release build" demo?

Thanks in advance everyone!
So I went to their website - is there any way to get a demo from them without inputting an email address?
Ixamyakxim: So I went to their website - is there any way to get a demo from them without inputting an email address?
Check post 78 from evilnancyreagan, has a direct link to the download section of the demo.
darkangelz:
Awesome thanks! I missed this the first go around!

evilnancyreagan:
And thank YOU very much for doing this! MUCH appreciated!
I'm happy to see this here. wishlisted for now
The green guys remind me of the Despicable Me minions ;)

I'm sitting on the idea of getting this before it's discount ends. I love space games and the concept is neat.
So I've been having a blast(off) with the demo! But I had a few questions and thought I'd ask here for pointers.

I burn a lot of fuel - I can get a nice orbit around Kerbin (Yay! The first time was very exciting!) but not much more than that. I think it's because I'm "brute forcing" launch. I use four engines, four engines and then a series of single engines. I have a couple questions about my approach. 1) I fire them one after the other - I don't wait I just keep pouring on more power C'ptn! 2) I tend to shoot "straight up" (usually following prograde) - I know in a tutorial it mentions levelling off toward the horizon. When I've tried this in practice I usually end up very low in the atmosphere (as opposed to when I full burn the heck out of it to get to ~600K - 800K meters "up"). Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh also - will I not get new contracts until I clear the "Reach 2500 m/s" one? I'm assuming this means on launch as I've reached it in orbit. If I won't, any suggestions on how to reach that?
Ixamyakxim: 2) I tend to shoot "straight up" (usually following prograde) - I know in a tutorial it mentions levelling off toward the horizon. When I've tried this in practice I usually end up very low in the atmosphere (as opposed to when I full burn the heck out of it to get to ~600K - 800K meters "up"). Anyone have any suggestions?
600K is not necessary. Kerbin atmosphere ends at 70km (when the music starts), so you need your periapsis above that mark to be in orbit. Once there, you can adjust it at your leasure, to explore Kerbin or to reach other bodies.
So for example, you can burn vertically until your AP is around 100, then wait until you are near that point and burn horizontaly until the PE reaches 75. Easiest way to get to orbit, but it burns quite a lot of fuel.

Slowly levelling toward the horizon during your ascent, rather that all at once when you are up, allows you to have a round trajectory when you reach space, and save much fuel during the horizontal burn part. It's especially true when you level toward the east (toward the sea near the space center), since you will benefit from Kerbin's spin speed. (It will add up to your burn, so you will reach the orbit horizontal speed with less fuel)

2 things, though
- Do it very gently, otherwise the athmospheric drag will grab your rocket with catastrophic results
- Don't do it too early, since the lower layers of atmosphere (esp. the 10 first km) are far more dense and difficult to navigate.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Kardwill