It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

...but they just can't kill The Beast.

<span class="bold">Homeworld: Emergence</span>, a stand-alone expansion to the beloved RTS, is now available exclusively on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Previously released under a different name, this campaign is set 15 years after the events of the original Homeworld and chronicles the trials and tribulations of the Kushan as they try to repel an unknown alien threat dubbed the Beast. If you're to neutralize its corruptive influence and save your new home, you must engage in fierce space battles against both the afflicted and the Imperialist Taiidani. Are you ready?

The 10% discount will last until June 29, 4PM UTC.
Don't forget to check out our huge <span class="bold">Homeworld series sale</span> which includes the rest of the saga, going for up to -66% for a full week.

NOTE: Homeworld: Emergence was originally released as "Homeworld: Cataclysm". "Cataclysm" is now a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., and the game has been renamed to avoid confusion. Other than the subtitle change, the game is identical to the game released in 2000.

Watch the game's intro.
Post edited June 22, 2017 by maladr0Id
Holy crap. HOLY CRAP. I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THE DAY.

Though it's a shame Barking Dog Studios doesn't get credit for the game.
JKeift: After reading the note about the title change, all I can say is fuck Blizzard.
Pffft, who cares. So Blizzard has trademarked "Cataclysm" due to their own (World of Warcraft?) expansion, but at least that didn't prevent the release of this expansion.

I would be fine if they had to call it "Homeworld: Shitfest". In fact, I think I will start calling it exactly that from now on.
JKeift: After reading the note about the title change, all I can say is fuck Blizzard.
timppu: Pffft, who cares. So Blizzard has trademarked "Cataclysm" due to their own (World of Warcraft?) expansion, but at least that didn't prevent the release of this expansion.

I would be fine if they had to call it "Homeworld: Shitfest". In fact, I think I will start calling it exactly that from now on.
"Homeworld: Tim"
high rated
IAmSinistar: Oh, and fuck that "copyright" noise. "Intellectual property" is one of the great notions of our age in which neither word applies to the underlying concept.
I agree, and it's beyond wrong that a trademark/copyright could force a name change to a game that was released 10 years before the trademarked/copyrighted work. Retroactive trademarks/copyright? Fuck that, indeed.
So... is this also a remastered remake like the earlier Homeworld releases on GOG, or the original Cataclysm standalone expansion re-released (by a new name)?

Just asking because the release date on the gamecard points to year 2000. I presume it would say 2017, if this was a remake?

EDIT: The description says this is identical to the original... so I guess it is the original game with a new name. Fine by me, as long as it works. I guess they didn't make a remastered remake out of this due to the missing source code then, good that that didn't prevent re-releasing the original version.
Post edited June 22, 2017 by timppu
bought! good release gog!
Excellent that this is here, from the looks of it it is the original release with offending name removed rather than a remastered version. Is that correct?
GOG-tier. Now I'm kind of sad I don't have the GOG version of Honeworld. Next sale I guess.
tarasis: Excellent that this is here, from the looks of it it is the original release with offending name removed rather than a remastered version. Is that correct?
Correct. It's noted on the game page that the only change is the name, nothing else.
tarasis: Excellent that this is here, from the looks of it it is the original release with offending name removed rather than a remastered version. Is that correct?
GR00T: Correct. It's noted on the game page that the only change is the name, nothing else.
Cheers!

Thats what I had understood but a couple of the posters on the previous page seemed to be talking about it like it was a remastered version as well so I was unsure.
"renamed to avoid confusion" hardly seems like a "fuck you, Blizzard" issue.
high rated
Not a remaster guys, just a classic release.
Thiev: Not a remaster guys, just a classic release.
Fantastic!

Loved this game and always felt it was the best blend of homeworld features with a more mobile mothership approach (since in the original game at the time the mothership was sooo slow and expensive to hyperjump)
Xoanon: I read that they lost the source code to HW: Cataclysm.
They indeed have lost it, otherwise it would have been included in the Homeworld Remastered Bundle.
GOG.com: NOTE: [i]Homeworld: Emergence was originally released as "Homeworld: Cataclysm". "Cataclysm" is now a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., and the game has been renamed to avoid legal backlash.
FTFY :).
Thank you SO MUCH for these releases :)

Another series complete! Until they make Homeworld 3 ;D (not any time soon)

It's ridiculous though that the name had to be changed because of a simple word that it had years ago, WELL before Blizzard had anything with "cataclysm" in it. If it's because of WoW: Cataclsym, it was a crappy expansion anyway.

Still, thanks for getting it here so soon after the summer sale :)