It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
Linko64: If you don't listen/give users a place to have their say,
BreOl72: You mean...like in this thread?
A thread ignored, like it was, changes nothing. If Gog simply pretended there was nothing to worry about then everything everyone typed here would amount to screaming into the void. Their community deserves better than that. Those low score reviews finally got Gog to acknowledge that there is something happening.

Then again calling it "review bombing" is misleading as all hell. It's saying that all those reviews don't have a fair technical reason to give a low score to a game that is defective by design.
Linko64: I was talking about the act of why review bombs happen
BreOl72: So according to you it's:
Linko64: ...give users a place to have their say, OR they will review the bomb...
BreOl72: ?
Again: we all had (and still have) that place to have a say - it's called the forum, inside which, we have this very thread...and you were (and still are) able to voice your opinion here.

Therefore, your point of "we had to resort to review bombing, because you guys gave us no designated place to have ourself heard" was rendered completely invalid from the get go.

Your "reason why" was never existent.

edit: added the first quote
I assume you've had a long week, so I'll let you off but what I said was

''If you don't listen/give users a place to have their say, then they will review the bomb as it is proven to get results. This isn't a new method and I'm stunned they would mention it as it confirms the practices as effective for future issues.''

This was talking about the topic of review bombs in general. If you still can't understand I will wish you a good weekend and hope your reading skill is restored as you unwind.
high rated
chandra: What we meant is that we will not tolerate reviews that are against our review guidelines, for example spam reviews (reviews that are not connected to the game itself). We will not be removing negative reviews, and reviews sharing constructive feedback, of course. I hope this clears things up a bit.
I've not bought the game PRECISELY because of this DRM fiasco, and haven't posted a review about it so I'm not affected, but I'd like to point that bad score because a game has DRM is still an issue related to the game, so they are not against any review guideline.

I'd also like to add I'm downright APPALED that the game could be released on GOG in this state. I could somewhat understand if a relatively unknown game having some hidden DRM for some parts could slip through the cracks. But Hitman is a VERY well known game, the always-online lock were pretty infamous and hotly debated at the time of its release already, so there is absolutely no way the people who greenlit a heavy-DRM game to be sold on GOG could have been blindsided.
It means there is now an official acceptance of DRM in GOG, and that's a pretty ghastly change.

Remember, GOG : the MAIN reason (often the ONLY one) people buy games from you, is because of your "no-DRM" stance. If you lose it, you lose your main draw and a massive part of your business. With DRM in games you sell, you're just Steam with less choices.
You're killing yourself here.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Akka
high rated
chandra: What we meant is that we will not tolerate reviews that are against our review guidelines.
Meanwhile, you (GOG) tolerate games that are against your guidelines
high rated
Abedsbrother: Sounds a purge of all those negative reviews is coming.

If you have a complaint, just refund! But don't leave a negative review, that's review-bombing.

Wtf happened to GOG.
chandra: To quote our review guidelines:

Can I write a negative review?

Yes. If you are unsatisfied with the game (e.g. the gameplay, graphics, in-game mechanics and features) you are free to write a review and share your opinion with other GOG users as to why you do not recommend it.
GOG is a storefront for PC games. Technical aspects such as online requirements and DRM'd content certainly deserve to be discussed within reviews. Especially on a storefront that is claiming the game is 100% DRM-free. This is nonsense and a cop-out from GOG's staff.

Extremely disappointed to say the least.
Abedsbrother: Sounds a purge of all those negative reviews is coming.

If you have a complaint, just refund! But don't leave a negative review, that's review-bombing.

Wtf happened to GOG.
chandra: To quote our review guidelines:

Can I write a negative review?

Yes. If you are unsatisfied with the game (e.g. the gameplay, graphics, in-game mechanics and features) you are free to write a review and share your opinion with other GOG users as to why you do not recommend it.
That doesn't account for the online only server drm factor of a game on reviews you know? Thus it sounds like you are saying any mention of that in reviews is against guidelines thus it should be added to the in guidelines that is allowed to be mentioned aswell as if not by proxy G.O.G is admitting they will be purging almost all bad reviews at the moment
Post edited September 24, 2021 by BanditKeith2
low rated
BreOl72: You mean...like in this thread?
joppo: A thread ignored, like it was, changes nothing.
Well, but you certainly agree, that GOG had the option of simply ignoring/deleting the 1-star reviews, while still changing nothing? Nowhere is it stated that it was the review bombing that "changed" minds in GOG's HQ.
Ignored doesn't mean unread/unheard. As GOG employees have mentioned already at countless occations, here in the forum.

Linko64: I will wish you a good weekend
The same to you.

EDIT: you gotta love this "community":

Quote: "So, GOG has released a game with always online DRM. And now they've announced in the forums that they're going to censor and remove negative reviews warning their customers about that. That's fine. Making new accounts is easy, and I can keep this up as long as they can."
Attachments:
sad.jpg (35 Kb)
Post edited September 24, 2021 by BreOl72
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
I appreciate that you finally reply but it sucks that it had to go this far before you even bothered acknowledging the problem.
high rated

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
On one hand, I hope that this "will be updating in the coming weeks" means something more than the similar statement you guys wrote one month ago about the Quake Enhanced version that never came to GoG.

On the other, honestly, and as someone who really really want Hitman to be really DRM-Free and just get the game and update his review, threatening the users to remove their reviews for "review bombing" on an issue that has produced 24 pages of bad reviews, a 40 pages thread on the issue, several related threds on what's going on, and the game's forum to talk only about this, is just digging your reputation deeper and deeper.

Also, is a shitty "DRM Bad" review going against the guidelines? People is reviewing the product, not the game, and having DRM in a product in GoG is probably the worst thing that can happen to a game for sale here, a shop that prides itself on being DRM-Free.

Yeah, I get it, review bombing sucks, but its the only real way users have to both protest against something they don't like on a game and to warn other users on what's going on.

I think the only fair exit here is first really fixing the issue, then removing the reviews and start anew.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Neurus_Ex
low rated
GamezRanker: Well again, it's not like the average gogger is likely to be able to buy enough shares to matter in the eyes of a company. As such(unless you were talking to the super rich secretly hiding among us), saying one should buy shares to change things(as in on their own) isn't (imo) very helpful advice.
timppu: Maybe not alone, but together we have power! So who's with me?!? Let's all chip in and buy as many GOG/CDP shares as we can, then we can direct this ship (or a leaking inflatable boat, or whatever it is) to the right course.

No curation, all games are accepted, even Devotion! Linux and German versions for all GOG games! Achievements for all GOG games, especially Akalabeth! Only true classics, ie. CGA MS-DOS games, are accepted to the store! All wishes are granted from there on. "If you will it, it is no dream", state of Israel.

You say it can't be done, but remember what happened to e.g. GameStop with WallStreetBets?

https://apnews.com/article/gamestop-stock-surge-explained-fb377363d1b04809706619a6bcc9e549

And yes, the state of Israel is a real thing too now.
Why is this getting downvoted?
high rated
I'm not sure if deleting reviews is the right choice. If you release a heavily DRMed game on a platform for DRM-free games, you basically just released a bad product. That's what the reviews are all about.

If you sell a shovel as a screwdriver, people have to review how well it works as a screwdriver.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Katzapult

this is your official statement?
this piece of crap remains online here without an apology or fix from your side and you complain about review bombing.
WOW! this is so incredible bad!
you forget where you money comes from and you should'nt wonder if GOG goes bankrupt sooner or later just because of such bad decisions and handling of your customer.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by flabberghost
At this point there is zero reason to be buying Hitman 2016 through GOG versus Steam and zero reason buying Hitman 2016 period as playing Legacy content through the Hitman 2/3 executables improves that content significantly.

You start eroding away at DRM-free game requirements on GOG and GOG simply becomes an inferior Steam. The refund policy is nice so props for that.
low rated
flabberghost: you forget where you money comes from
How are they supposed to know, if you use an alt. ;)
Come on...who are you really?
low rated
flabberghost: you forget where you money comes from
BreOl72: How are they supposed to know, if you use an alt. ;)
Come on...who are you really?
that doesn't matter! ;-)
i don't want to loose my library