It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
For example, does a person who brought games before GOG automatically not a DRM Free supporter if they now pay more attention to DRM Free? I doubt. If a person puts all the effort here and now into DRM Free, it doesn't mean a long time ago cancels it. Look, Syphon72 has 1,118 games on GOG (70%), 475 on Steam (30%). Statistically, the direction and what's the main collection is clear.

Not everyone started from 2008, the world before that was different.
Syphon72: Steam has about 30000 games on it.
According to Statista, 48,606 as of 2021. Approximately would take 131 TB and cost US$731.93 or €625.44 per month to privately keep on. The size is based on the average for GOG, take it with a grain of salt; The price by my Cloud. Including removed ones, GOG is 3,446, 9 TB, US$55.56 or €47.48. The difference by titles is 14 times.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by Dreamdash
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Twenty pages later, I see GOG is still recycling this highly insulting message trying to scapegoat their loyal customers for their own mistake. I will therefore be voting with my wallet. Sorry GOG, it was good while it lasted.
high rated
MysterD: Yeah, the SSA actually says you're a subscriber and not a game-owner. So, pretty much - Valve's already got the legalese covered, pretty much...in case they don't do so.
Matruchus: I find it funny when people think that Steam is so much different then gog.com when it comes to game ownership. All you own on gog.com according to their User Agreement is the license to download and use the game. You do not own any game on gog.com. Its not that much different then Steam Subscriber Agreement but it does give you a drm-free license for the games. The gog User Agreement is also only valid until termination same as the Steam Subscriber agreement just the wording is a bit different.
No, I actually own the games here. That's the beauty of the offline installers and having every one of my games from here saved in two locations. Since I am not a trusting person when it comes to corporations, I have ensured that I will never be denied the ability to play what I bought.
EnforcerSunWoo: “In my opinion, management spends way too much time in business discussions and not nearly enough listening to customers' comments.” - Michal Kicinski the CEO of CDPR

Aged like a fine wine... that has turned into vinegar.
Midoryu: From the same interview, 9/26/2008: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/09/idiocy-of-games-drm/2/

...For me, the idiocy of those protection solutions shows how far from reality and from customers a lot of executives at big companies can be. You don't have to be a genius to check the internet and see all the pros and cons of those actions. In my opinion, management spends way too much time in business discussions and not nearly enough listening to customers' comments. I think it would help a lot if people who decide to implement those draconian DRM schemes would use them themselves and see how they can be a pain in the ass. I think that would be a new experience for them, and not necessarily a pleasant one. And the money for those people's salaries comes from gamers who pay their hard-earned money. That's something they should always keep in mind.

It's a little bit easier for us at CD Projekt, as we are a young company where gamers work at every level of the company. So it's natural for us to understand and feel most of the gamers' problems, and not just those related to DRM.....
Midoryu:
Be interesting to know more about this person from the years before he made that statement, to know if he was somewhat sincere, or just laying it on thick to build up an image as a company that really cares about it's customers.
low rated
Starsmine: yall had a full business day on monday to do something on this, either respond or remove the listing.
Or else... what?

Entitled brats. Just like those "Extinction Rebellion" idiots who are now going to block the main street in Helsinki (Mannerheimintie) for 10 days.

TheTank072: I want 100% of the game to be playable with no internet the moment I start up the game for the first time. Progression too, not just a 100% save file bundled in.
I hear you. I suggest you don't buy the game until they offer it in a form that meets your needs.

I do the same, except that I'd probably be fine with the 100% save game file solution, if it allows me to access all the unlockable items etc. offline.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by timppu
low rated
Syphon72: So you still need client to play 90% of the games on steam. :( Steam has about 30000 games on it. Let's say 3000 are DRM free, which is 10%. That's why I'm saying 90% still need the launcher to play. The DRM free list on steam is only going to get smaller every year.
The list doesn't get smaller any year, it stays as it is, unless some games on that list are re-DRM'd.

Now if your point is that the proportion of DRM-free games on Steam is getting smaller every year, that is presumably false. Only some top AAA games get heavy DRM, some lesser commercial games can get some light DRM, such as requiring the launcher, but most games are most likely DRM-free, because most released games are indie, even freeware.

So the number of DRM-free games keeps growing larger, and we can also talk about just how many games do you need? If 3.000 games isn't enough for you, then how much is?
Of course, if your favourite game isn't DRM-free, that's tough, but there are still thousands of other games to choose from.

So basically you can only argument that the games you are interested in are not DRM-free, but that has very little to do with overall statistics. It is important to you personally, obviously.

Anyway, all of this is off-topic, so this probably shouldn't be discussed further, at least in this thread.
Syphon72: Also, that list is inaccurate more than sometimes
mrkgnao: That's true. But much more than being inaccurate, it is immensely incomplete. Most of the games I've bought in the past few months were not on the list, yet were DRM-free. I would estimate the percent of DRM-free games on steam to be at least 60%, though I can't prove it.
Other side of the coin, though, the first game (Hexcells Infinite) I've tried with steamcmd the other day is on the list and didn't run at all.

It's nice to have steamcmd as an option and it would be great, if DRM-free games were easily identifiable, searchable and with a reasonable expectation of staying DRM-free. As is, though, Steam for DRM-free, while possible, is still a bit of a hard sell, I think.
high rated
There is another store, Gamersgate, from which I used to buy games as they had plenty of DRM-Free games. Not all, but plenty to find something you like.
Even then, it had a downloader which you had to trick when installing the game so that you get all the files to back them up. It was ugly, but it worked.

Few years ago they decided to change MANY if not most of the DRM-free games to Steam keys. They didn't notify their customers. One day you could download a drm free game from them, the next day all you had was a steam key.
No announcements, nothing, a big F-U to their customers. Because they didn't do it in one day, but it took a few, I managed to download most of my games bought from them before they were changed to Steam keys.
At the time I had close to 200 games bought from them with plenty on my "wish list".
That was the last time I bought anything from them, even though they kept some DRM free games and even brought more, mostly tiny unknown titles from the early 00s which no one knew.
For me the store died at that time. I don't even know if they are still around or not.

This is one of my major fears about GOG and its future.
This is why we must not accept any move towards DRM, not give any room for it here.
Wake up.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by trusteft
Like I said yesterday gog does not give a fuck about drm and it's customers anymore.

It's sad to know they did not even bother to say anything about this problem.

The only thing we can do is to stop buy anything from gog. Once they don't get any money they will need to do something or die.
That's the only reasonable way to act.

We cannot allow drm here if we ignore it gog will continue to push the drm until there is no difference between steam and gog.

Do you want steam 2? Continue to buy gog games. If you want gog to stay gog the only way is to stop buy from gog.

And to the people that said it's an honest mistake why they still sell hitman and they did not even apologize and the warning on the game page is still wrong?
It was not a mistake, they want to force drm on us.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by LiefLayer
Just in case y'all need another avenue to vent and dogpile on GOG's idiocy:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_from_catalog

It's funny that it all people who found Hitman's 1-star review "most useful" had voted there - removing Hitman would in fact be the highest item on the wishlist for the week :D
chandra: In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game.
The last and only time I took a refund on GOG (because a game was simply not working and I had a proof) I was getting told that no refund to the original payment method is possible but instead I could get the money to my GOG wallet. And funny though, the money they refunded me on GOG wallet had an expiration date.

Since then, I cannot take GOG refund seriously. I'm super glad I've waited with my purchase on Hitman. Now I'm interested what happens next (my expectation is the game stays on GOG and IO will not change the way it works)
Post edited September 28, 2021 by Wolfszorn
Longshot11: Just in case y'all need another avenue to vent and dogpile on GOG's idiocy:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_from_catalog

It's funny that it all people who found Hitman's 1-star review "most useful" had voted there - removing Hitman would in fact be the highest item on the wishlist for the week :D
Wishlists have rarely had any real impact on what happens.

Speaking about this wish that you linked to, it is wrongly formed in my opinion.
"Please remove this from the catalog, or give us the entire game DRM-free."

I think those actions should be in reversed order. Remove DRM from the game, and if that is impossible, then remove the game from the store. The way that it's written prevents me from supporting it, because in DRM-free store removing DRM should always be the number one option.
mrkgnao: The reason I'm informing others of steam as a DRM-free option is because I myself for years lived under the impression that the steam client was mandatory. And I see this misinformation being propagated again and again. I wish someone would have told me about it back in 2017, when Gwent was released here. I would have begun buying there back then, alongside GOG.

That's true. But much more than being inaccurate, it is immensely incomplete. Most of the games I've bought in the past few months were not on the list, yet were DRM-free. I would estimate the percent of DRM-free games on steam to be at least 60%, though I can't prove it.
So you do buy the games you download via command line Steam right? Even without trying it myself, I assume the command line option requires credentials to be used. Otherwise anyone could just download those (many, as you say) truly DRM free games. If it is as I suspect, that it's a command line way to get things, it should still require a user having an account and having the "license" for the commercial games they own. I assume the command line has in it, among other things, someone's Steam account login user name and password. It would have to, and, I get it.

As such, that means you technically own a legitimate Steam account and the commercial games in it. So would you mind linking your Steam account and if not public making it so. I am genuinely curious what games you have. This is not to show proof or whatever, I actually "get" your insane (Stallman like) idealistic stance, and am curious what games you have in your Steam collection. Further, unlike inaccurate lists, if you "are" who I think you are (personality wise) based on what you say, seeing your Steam games would maybe allow me/others to know with utmost accuracy which games are "truly" Steam-DRM-free.
high rated
I care about two things:
1. DRM free games.
2. Supporting developers.
Publishers need to see that gog has X% market share, so they feel they need to release a DRM free version here. Buying on Steam is supporting DRM. Publishers see those sales and think "we only need to publish on Steam, gamers don't care about DRM." There is no market analysis of "number of copies sold on Steam but only because the game is actually DRM free and downloadable without the client."

So yes, games with DRM being available here are a problem. They dilute this message to publishers. Look at Humble Bundle. About 13% of the games there are DRM free. Many of the games available here as downloads are only available there as Steam keys. I don't think publishers are looking at sales on Humble Bundle and thinking "we need to have a DRM free version."
I don't need to hurt gog; gog didn't hurt me. I'm here to support developers releasing DRM free games.
Buying games from Steam is not the answer, that is casting my vote ($) for the main DRM store, and will result in more DRM games in the future.
The right thing to do is to keep pressure on gog so that they are a consistent voice for DRM free. Whether that also means to withhold purchases here, I don't know. There are games on sale right now from developers who haven't done anything wrong, and I'm mighty tempted...
high rated
Is CDPR losing their way?

Why is this game even on GOG? If it's impossible to bring it as full DRM-free then don't bring it at all!
I don't like it. I don't like it at all. GOG used to be the last bastion of pro-consumer practicies in this industry. That's the only reason why I stick with GOG, wait months or years for a game to land on GOG, or even buy the game TWICE just to support the store!

I *will* vote with my wallet. GOG, if you change your ways, I will abandon you in favour of Steam, because you are not bringing any value to me anymore.