It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
mrkgnao: I couldn't care less about any EULA anywhere.
Gudadantza: Then crack the exe and all should be simpler, faster and more "DRM Free". If you are going to break you contract/license/user agreement, then it doesn't matter how you do it.
It matters only to one person: me.
mrkgnao: It's indeed a potential drawback, but not really for me. If a game adds essential information into the registry during installation (rather than during game launch), to the point that it is unplayable if transferred to another computer, I have no interest in it.

It's the same thing for me as requiring a client. I don't call it DRM, but I still don't want it. Every game should be transferable from computer to computer to be of interest to me.
Gudadantza: Anyway don't worry. According to the Steam EULA you could only tranfer your "DRM Free" game to a one more HD at once.
Who cares about the Steam EULA (which is not even legal in several countries) at all? ;)
Post edited September 27, 2021 by MarkoH01
low rated
mrkgnao: It's indeed a potential drawback, but not really for me. If a game adds essential information into the registry during installation (rather than during game launch), to the point that it is unplayable if transferred to another computer, I have no interest in it.
MarkoH01: IIRC you can see which registry entrys are created in the installation folder in one of those steam installation vdf files. In such cases you might be able to export those entrys - if you still want to port this game.
Thank you. I'm still new to steam and learning the ropes.

I found only one game in my steam library (Valkyria Chronicles) with a registry entry mentioned in the vdf file, but that entry does not exit in my registry, despite my having installed and played the game on this computer. Not sure what it means.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
this isn't about the game itself as I'm not interested in in in the slightest, but if the game doesn't get either fixed or removed you won't see any more money from me
and you know what? this way you're hurting game makers too, people who won't be able to sell games anymore, I hope they hear about it too and show their disapproval as your bad decisions directly affect their income
zakius: this isn't about the game itself as I'm not interested in in in the slightest, but if the game doesn't get either fixed or removed you won't see any more money from me
and you know what? this way you're hurting game makers too, people who won't be able to sell games anymore, I hope they hear about it too and show their disapproval as your bad decisions directly affect their income
You might want to get yourself listed here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post1
low rated
Wow one money without anything to say... gog really give a fuck about customers
low rated
MysterD: Yeah, the SSA actually says you're a subscriber and not a game-owner. So, pretty much - Valve's already got the legalese covered, pretty much...in case they don't do so.
Matruchus: I find it funny when people think that Steam is so much different then gog.com when it comes to game ownership. All you own on gog.com according to their User Agreement is the license to download and use the game. You do not own any game on gog.com. Its not that much different then Steam Subscriber Agreement but it does give you a drm-free license for the games. The gog User Agreement is also only valid until termination same as the Steam Subscriber agreement just the wording is a bit different.
This is a myth, steam has no right to intercede on the purchases between you and a product holder, nor does it require you to sign any form of lease. The subscriber agreement cannot apply to every single game you buy, they dont have the jurisdiction to do that, it's now their games. It's why steam can't remove things from your library after a game becomes illegal to sell. You own it, steam can do nothing to prevent it from operating. A license is involved, but a license is an explicit admission of ownership. If you have a license you own the game and are owed all rights of ownership. And yes I know a lot of licenses claim you own own anything and cant modify or copy. That is unenforcable. Or have you not backed up your system recently? Because that counts as a copy.

Sorry for picking on you for this but it needs to be corrected.

The issue isn't a contract, it's steams policy. They make the games attach to steamworks and even encourage it, GoG does not, and I am waiting for GoG to make a formal response to this. not the review shit, but on the admission of DRM. Will they say this isn't DRM since the game runs(allbeit at limited capacity) so they dont have to moderator every game that has online only components? Will they demand every aspect of a game have some form of offline ability for ever function? Will they double down and demand it's a publisher decision and GoG only promises to not be DRM themselveS? We'll see.
high rated
I think it is painfully obvious that the money GOG brings in from Hitman is far more important to them than doing what is right and removing the blatant false advertising. Or even removing the game until it is fixed and fully drm-free. Shutting down comments/ratings on the youtube trailer only compounds the issue and sends a very bad message. A message that sales of the game are far more important than protecting GOG's image or listening to it's customer base. They would rather cowardly hide what they are doing behind prepared statements that admit no guilt on their part. Continuing to pull the wool over the eyes of customers to continue to sell a game that is not as advertised.
high rated
chmegma: gog is no longer run by good old gamers. they opened themselves up to big money and the sales team is in control
StingingVelvet: If they were gonna throw their principles out the window for "big money" I don't think they'd pick a 5 year old game that was given away for free not long ago.
I don't think they plan that far ahead. It's more likely that the product team just had this next in the release pipeline, totally not caring anymore if a game has DRM and whether that would be even slightly controversial.

Some people have said that we "DRM-purists" see everything as black and white and that it is a problem. I disagree. Rather, the problem is that the people at Gog have lost color perception and they just see ONE shade of grey (everything is the same) and thus are incapable of even noticing that a game with DRM fits as well here as a porcupine in a box of bath sponges.
I'm too lazy to break out the paint.net to make it, but imagine this sleeping squidward meme:

"Answering my support ticket asking for details on who asked for Devotion to be delisted & asking if further 'messages from gamers' will get content delisted" => **Squidward with his eyes closed**

"Some guys review bombing a game" => **Squidward with his bloodshot eyes, bolted open**
high rated
LiefLayer: Wow one money without anything to say... gog really give a fuck about customers
It's not that they're taking their time, it just happens that they performed their Special move (the Ostrich maneuver) and have their heads buried so deep in the sand that they passed out from asphyxia.
low rated
EnforcerSunWoo: I think it is painfully obvious that the money GOG brings in from Hitman is far more important to them than doing what is right and removing the blatant false advertising. Or even removing the game until it is fixed and fully drm-free. Shutting down comments/ratings on the youtube trailer only compounds the issue and sends a very bad message. A message that sales of the game are far more important than protecting GOG's image or listening to it's customer base. They would rather cowardly hide what they are doing behind prepared statements that admit no guilt on their part. Continuing to pull the wool over the eyes of customers to continue to sell a game that is not as advertised.
To be fair, they might not even know, and might be concerned about the state of games with actual online properties. I do know games which have a bunch of social options which connect online, that are wholely divorce from the game itself. These by definition cannot be offline, but the game remains DRM free. There is a potential stopgap here. GoG has also been known to personally negotiate, which they might be doing with IO. I'm holding my breath before I start spouting abandon.
StingingVelvet: If they were gonna throw their principles out the window for "big money" I don't think they'd pick a 5 year old game that was given away for free not long ago.
joppo: I don't think they plan that far ahead. It's more likely that the product team just had this next in the release pipeline, totally not caring anymore if a game has DRM and whether that would be even slightly controversial.

Some people have said that we "DRM-purists" see everything as black and white and that it is a problem. I disagree. Rather, the problem is that the people at Gog have lost color perception and they just see ONE shade of grey (everything is the same) and thus are incapable of even noticing that a game with DRM fits as well here as a porcupine in a box of bath sponges.
Indeed. The issue here is not "There is DRM reeee" if it were that I just wouldn't buy it, like I do with steam. The bigger issue is my ability to trust GoG's store implicitly. If it were just the later, I wouldn't be posting right now. This isn't about Hitman specificly, this is about my ability to put full faith in the store.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mastyer-kenobi
Despite the ruckus, I still plan on buying games from GOG in the future. They're still the best legit source of DRM-free games. Just have to be careful & make sure any game I want to purchase really is DRM-free.
high rated
Let's vote to get this game removed from Gog's catalog or Gog should add a true DRM-free version of it.
At the moment much of the functionality is locked behind DRM.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_from_catalog
low rated
Abedsbrother: Despite the ruckus, I still plan on buying games from GOG in the future. They're still the best legit source of DRM-free games. Just have to be careful & make sure any game I want to purchase really is DRM-free.
OMG.... FINALLY!!! Someone that isn't engaging in mass hysteria and fear mongering! Upvote!