It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
TZODnmr2k5: As even the most ardent and loudest voices on this matter would love nothing more than to see GoG go back to its DRM-Free roots unfettered by partial DRM'd Modem-wall games such as this and absolver just to name a few, c'mon GoG, please reverse the course we want you back!
mrkgnao: Well said!
Thanks for saying so, I really don't want my only alternatives for my gaming library to come from steam/epic store, I want to see this store prevent itself from dying out due to a glut of missed sales and DRM-lite games!
mrkgnao: Well said!
TZODnmr2k5: Thanks for saying so, I really don't want my only alternatives for my gaming library to come from steam/epic store, I want to see this store prevent itself from dying out due to a glut of missed sales and DRM-lite games!
I think practically everybody here wants the same thing.
Fictionvision: Heard about this elsewhere from the review bombing.
mrkgnao: I think it's important to note that there wasn't any "review bombing". This is what GOG, in its infinite wisdom, decided to call it. It doesn't make it so.

What really happened is simply a large number of people, many of them understandably angry, writing relevant reviews in an attempt to inform others of GOG's misleading game page information and practices.
True
low rated
mrkgnao: I think it's important to note that there wasn't any "review bombing". This is what GOG, in its infinite wisdom, decided to call it. It doesn't make it so.

What really happened is simply a large number of people, many of them understandably angry, writing relevant reviews in an attempt to inform others of GOG's misleading game page information and practices.
Except 90%+ of what you classify as "reviews" were merely "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. THAT is review bombing and is also against GoG's review rules.

I think that would still qualify as a review bomb in the technical sense. It was a lot of users giving the product a low rating, which was fully justified. Just because its called a "review bomb" doesn't mean its negative or unwarranted. As I mentioned, things like that are one of the few ways consumers can try to fight back on bad decisions or products. Just like this game being sold here.
high rated

Krogan32: Except 90%+ of what you classify as "reviews" were merely "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. THAT is review bombing and is also against GoG's review rules.
No, it's not against the guidelines. In fact, the guidelines clearly indicate you can complain about game features. Requiring an always online connection to access basic game progression is a feature of Hitman. I feature GOG seems to not think is DRM, but clearly almost everyone else does except a couple of contrarian trolls.
high rated
Krogan32: Except 90%+ of what you classify as "reviews" were merely "DRM BAD!!!" without discussing the game at all. THAT is review bombing and is also against GoG's review rules.
Considering that this is supposed to be a DRM-free store, having a disdain for DRM is completely natural and an objective measure of a game. Your argument holds no water, because the glass is thoroughly cracked.

Fictionvision: I think that would still qualify as a review bomb in the technical sense. It was a lot of users giving the product a low rating, which was fully justified. Just because its called a "review bomb" doesn't mean its negative or unwarranted. As I mentioned, things like that are one of the few ways consumers can try to fight back on bad decisions or products. Just like this game being sold here.
Perhaps you're right. My understanding of "review bombing" is where the reviews bear little connection to the product or are intentionally false, with the aim of maliciously hurting the sales of the game or for the purpose of pure vandalism.

Fox example, if a group of people are --- justifiably or not --- offended by some indie game, and then go about posting negative reviews on all the games of that indie developer, as an act of malicious revenge, that would be for me "review bombing". That would justify their being removed, as GOG threatened, but not IMO in this case.
high rated
For those curious, like me.

When Chandra posted her "review bombing" threat, I saved all the reviews posted up to that point (N = 116). Now, two days later, I compared the list to the current oldest 116 reviews. None have been deleted.

It is possible that later reviews were deleted, but knowing GOG, I think it's statistically more likely for a review to be eaten up by a forum bug, than actually read and deleted by a GOG staff member.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: I saved all the reviews posted up to that point
You too, huh? xD

mrkgnao: None have been deleted.
The intent may have been to create a chilling effect. Dissuade people from leaving reviews complaining about the DRM by implying that they'll get deleted anyway.
This situation has hit Kotaku.

https://kotaku.com/hitman-comes-to-gog-and-gets-review-bombed-due-to-onlin-1847745807
fronzelneekburm: The intent may have been to create a chilling effect.
That worked wonders.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post1027
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
mrkgnao: None have been deleted.
fronzelneekburm: The intent may have been to create a chilling effect. Dissuade people from leaving reviews complaining about the DRM by implying that they'll get deleted anyway.
Or, when they saw that the PR statement made the shitstorm much worse and got media involved they decided to do nothing, rather than shoot themselves in the foot again.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by Breja
low rated
Screamshield: I am not spinning, i simply like to be rational, factual and have a productive conversation that would lead to the game being fixed.
Some tips to get said result:

1. First you need to remove your cranium from your/GOG's posterior region(whichever it is stuck in atm)
2. Then you'll probably want to drop using words like toxic posters, hate train, and troll so much.....especially when describing people expressing legitimate/mostly civil criticism.
3. Post like a rational and reasonable human being

(optional) Listen to the following lovely tune

====

mrkgnao: I haven't seen anyone who is opposed to the game being fixed. On the contrary. Can you point me to any such post?
You're wasting your time.....that user is likely too enamored by GOG to hear the truth of the situation. Instead of blaming GOG for what has transpired they'd rather blame their fellow goggers.

(likewise, the gogger krogan32 seems to just be trolling for reactions...imo the best thing to do is ignore them both as much as possible)
Post edited September 27, 2021 by GamezRanker
Look like Kotaku pick up on this.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/09/hitman-comes-to-gog-and-gets-review-bombed-due-to-online-drm/
Looks like I'm late.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by Syphon72