It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Breja: Because it's not IOI's job to uphold's GOG principles. The reall issue isn't the Hitman game itself. The real issue is the shift in GOG's policy regarding DRM and their dishonest conduct. IOI obviously complied with whatever conditions GOG imposed. If IOI alone steps up and fixes the issue, the real, underlying problem will remain. If we don't want to face the same situation again in a month or two with a different game, it's the problem with GOG we need to fix, not with IOI.
I would guess the conversation went something like "hey we allow some DRM'd aspects now as long as the entire core singleplayer experience is DRM free," and then IOI said "well the story mode is able to be played completely offline" and then GOG said "great, we'll take it!" How much GOG understood was missing offline can be debated, malice versus ignorance and blah blah blah, but I doubt that conversation was incredibly obsessive and as in depth as people here imagine it to be.
low rated
Screamshield: Has anyone asked IOI what made them think that it was a great idea to sell their game in such a state on GOG?
Breja: I think the answer to that is pretty obvious: whatever GOG representative they spoke to.

Screamshield: Can anyone show me what IOI has said on this issue? You people realize that IOI could fix this on their end, right? So why are you only here?
Breja: Because it's not IOI's job to uphold's GOG principles. The reall issue isn't the Hitman game itself. The real issue is the shift in GOG's policy regarding DRM and their dishonest conduct. IOI obviously complied with whatever conditions GOG imposed. If IOI alone steps up and fixes the issue, the real, underlying problem will remain. If we don't want to face the same situation again in a month or two, it's the problem with GOG we need to fix, not with IOI.
I would have to disagree. Unless you've played the game before or have seen it being played, you'd have no idea that there are singleplayer features missing. I am saying this since even i didn't know till 2 days ago and went to check what people were saying about the game. So no, i wouldn't put the blame fully on GOG and their staff. They are to blame for not doing more extensive research but IO Interactive are the one who made the game this way.
high rated
Screamshield: I have a question? Has anyone here actually tried to get a response from IOI or you are all just here to do a hate train on GOG?
Why should anyone? IOI released the game 5 years ago and it has been online-only all those years without anyone here complaining much.

The problem now is not the game itself. The problem is GOG releasing it here. And that is entirely on GOG's shoulders. They decided not to say "no" to DRM.
low rated
Screamshield: I have a question? Has anyone here actually tried to get a response from IOI or you are all just here to do a hate train on GOG?
mrkgnao: Why should anyone? IOI released the game 5 years ago and it has been online-only all those years without anyone here complaining much.

The problem now is not the game itself. The problem is GOG releasing it here. And that is entirely on GOG's shoulders. They decided not to say "no" to DRM.
The game can be played offline AKA DRM free. Let's not warp things up. The issue is that there are missing singleplayer features.
high rated
Screamshield: I would have to disagree. Unless you've played the game before or have seen it being played, you'd have no idea that there are singleplayer features missing. I am saying this since even i didn't know till 2 days ago and went to check what people were saying about the game. So no, i wouldn't put the blame fully on GOG and their staff. They are to blame for not doing more extensive research but IO Interactive are the one who made the game this way.
A "curated drm-free store" should know that
low rated
tfishell: You'll get hate for this but I basically agree. (not interested in arguing with people over it though; at least we can come together over the Hitman situation)
This is a good point.....this situation, if little else, brought a number of us together and onto the same page.
high rated
mrkgnao: Why should anyone? IOI released the game 5 years ago and it has been online-only all those years without anyone here complaining much.

Screamshield: The game can be played offline AKA DRM free. Let's not warp things up. The issue is that there are missing singleplayer features.
Scream, I don't think you really understand the problem here mate.

But by your logic, we will go with this...they're charging full price (upon sales end) for about 25% of the content. However way you spin it this is a bad look.
low rated
Linko64: Scream, I don't think you really understand the problem here mate.
Denial isn't just a river in egypt, and cognitive dissonance can be a helluva thing sometimes.
high rated

Screamshield: The game can be played offline AKA DRM free. Let's not warp things up. The issue is that there are missing singleplayer features.
As you and I both know, a fairly small portion of the game can be played offline. Only the story/bonus missions and each with only the default loadout, which is exactly the opposite of what most people would want to do in a sandbox game where you are supposed to (from the game page):
"Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground... with everything from a katana or a sniper rifle to an exploding golf ball or some expired spaghetti sauce".
Post edited September 26, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
Screamshield: I would have to disagree. Unless you've played the game before or have seen it being played, you'd have no idea that there are singleplayer features missing. I am saying this since even i didn't know till 2 days ago and went to check what people were saying about the game. So no, i wouldn't put the blame fully on GOG and their staff. They are to blame for not doing more extensive research but IO Interactive are the one who made the game this way.
LiefLayer: A "curated drm-free store" should know that
The store is managed by people and people make mistakes. Do you honestly think that the person who was making sure that the game was running DRM free played the game in its entirety or simply tested till he was half trough the first mission and said to himself ''my job is done everything works'' ? I'm not sure that there is any other game that incorporates DRM the same way this Hitman game does. I personally have never encountered anything like this before. Do you know of any other game that uses similar type of DRM? I don't and the closest thing i can think of is Diablo III that is always online(even in singleplayer).
high rated
Several days of Hitman on the store.

User pushback on its drm

Still overwhelmingly negative.

Only two staff (blue) posts so far.

Blaming said users for having a valid point of saying it doesn't belong on GoG because of the drm it has.

Over 1000 forum posts and counting.

YouTube comments and ratings turned off for said game.

Having online articles about this.

You seem to be having a bit of a rough time huh GoG. Good. It's what you get.
high rated
LiefLayer: A "curated drm-free store" should know that
Screamshield: The store is managed by people and people make mistakes.
Sensible people who make mistakes:
1) admit to having made a mistake, which GOG hasn't, not here, nor with any other "mistake" of the past
2) attempt to fix those mistakes, which time will tell in this case, but has never been one of GOG's strong points, to put it mildly
3) do not accuse people who point out these mistakes with "bombing"

GOG shows no signs that indicate it made a mistake, therefore I see no reason to assume it is a mistake. As a factual person, you should perhaps ask yourself why you think this is a mistake.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
Screamshield: The store is managed by people and people make mistakes. Do you honestly think that the person who was making sure that the game was running DRM free played the game in its entirety or simply tested till he was half trough the first mission and said to himself ''my job is done everything works'' ? I'm not sure that there is any other game that incorporates DRM the same way this Hitman game does. I personally have never encountered anything like this before. Do you know of any other game that uses similar type of DRM? I don't and the closest thing i can think of is Diablo III that is always online(even in singleplayer).
you don't even need to play the game, just do a little research and you will know what type of drm it use.
Also when you do 1 offline mission and 1 online you will notice the difference.
there are 2 possibility:
1. They don't even tried the game to see if it was drm-free. Not even a little research with google.
2. They just knew and accepted it like it was ok.

Anyway the could remove the game Friday if it was a mistake. Why it is still on sale?
Post edited September 26, 2021 by LiefLayer
low rated
Linko64: Scream, I don't think you really understand the problem here mate.

But by your logic, we will go with this...they're charging full price (upon sales end) for about 25% of the content. However way you spin it this is a bad look.
I am not spinning, i simply like to be rational, factual and have a productive conversation that would lead to the game being fixed. It is a bad look and i agree that the game in it's current state doesn't deserve to be sold at full price. What i don't agree is with some of the troll and toxic posters here who don't seem to want the game fixed and just want to see this place burn.
LiefLayer: Why it is still on sale?
No idea. I have no idea about the contracts that GOG makes with companies in order to sell their games. It is quite possible that for GOG to take down the game they might have to pay IO Interactive a certain sum as damages. That is why i keep telling people to go after IO Interactive but nobody listens to me. Drag IOI trough the mud, make them squirm and they could easily provide a fix on their end. The question is do you want the game fixed or do you just want to run a hate train on GOG.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Screamshield
Screamshield: just want to see this place burn.
(start at 7:03)
https://youtu.be/-J12zTCrF1U?t=423

(gog should not sell drm games, if they accepted this game here it's their fault).
Post edited September 26, 2021 by LiefLayer