It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
argamasa: This only can end in two ways, doing nothing and waiting the storm pass away or making an update for the game with the online content as a patch offline
That's not true that there are only two ways for this to end: there is also the third way, which is the fudge.

The fudge would be where they remove some - but not all - of the game's DRM, and then try to spin doctor that as a "win" for GOG customers.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
low rated
argamasa: (as i understand from this game is not possible or very difficult because of the core game should be modified.
Y'argh matey version gamers (going by what others have stated in this very thread) already have access to most/all content offline.
I think GOG's going to pull this game from the store next week with some "We're sorry... blabla" and that's it.
IO won't change their, sadly successful, formula they've been deploying since three games just for their GOG version.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by russellskanne
high rated
AB2012: Same. I'm not exactly hard boycotting GOG but there's a couple of games on the wishlist on sale that I'm just going to leave there without buying this weekend, at least until they make it more clear which direction they're going with this. If they just shrug and walk away from it on the feeble excuse of "our DRM-Free guarantee is not even whole single player games anymore, merely 'core' parts of them", I'll be cutting way back on future spending. For older games I own on disc (and I have a lot, most of which I had the foresight to source a clean working NoCD when I bought them years ago), I've also reached the point where I don't see buying a GOG version anyway to "support" them as something I'll be doing anymore until they get a grip of themselves.
Ditto.

2 things have given me extreme dissapointment with GOG... trying to ram galaxy down our throats (Not supporting the plain downloader anymore) and single player games with online requirements (not just Hitman).

Fortunately I use linux downloader for the offline installation copies... if they ever cut off the API to that I'll be done with GOG.

As for the single player games with online requirments... for now I can avoid them, but it's looking like the writing is on the wall... meaning most people will go back to torrents for a better version.

As you can see... I don't comment much and been here since 2008. I have a fairly sizable (for me) GOG library and have almost replaced all my Steam games to go entirely DRM / Launcher free.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Tazman
AB2012: Same. I'm not exactly hard boycotting GOG but there's a couple of games on the wishlist on sale that I'm just going to leave there without buying this weekend, at least until they make it more clear which direction they're going with this. If they just shrug and walk away from it on the feeble excuse of "our DRM-Free guarantee is not even whole single player games anymore, merely 'core' parts of them", I'll be cutting way back on future spending. For older games I own on disc (and I have a lot, most of which I had the foresight to source a clean working NoCD when I bought them years ago), I've also reached the point where I don't see buying a GOG version anyway to "support" them as something I'll be doing anymore until they get a grip of themselves.
Tazman: Ditto.

2 things have given me extreme dissapointment with GOG... trying to ram galaxy down our throats (Not supporting the plain downloader anymore) and single player games with online requirements (not just Hitman).

Fortunately I use linux downloader for the offline installation copies... if they ever cut off the API to that I'll be done with GOG.

As for the single player games with online requirments... for now I can avoid them, but it's looking like the writing is on the wall... meaning most people will go back to torrents for a better version.

As you can see... I don't comment much and been here since 2008. I have a fairly sizable (for me) GOG library and have almost replaced all my Steam games to go entirely DRM / Launcher free.
What other single player games are you talking about?
high rated
trusteft: What other single player games are you talking about?
There's a list here, some or all which may or may not be relevant for you, depending on your views:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/post1

The most damning, in my opinion, prior to Hitman, are Absolver and CP2077.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by mrkgnao
pkk234: the pcgaming sub has a couple of posts about Hitman with pretty large amounts of views/upvotes.
Nice. I've been suggesting someone bring this up on r/games also, but I'm not sure anyone has (or it just didn't get many votes there perhaps)

edit: well https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/pvb1e2/gog_says_we_will_not_tolerate_review_bombing/
Post edited September 26, 2021 by tfishell
low rated
trusteft: What other single player games are you talking about?
Re: 2077 mentioned in post 1237, there is a map DLC which requires always online connection to utilize.
low rated
I have a question? Has anyone here actually tried to get a response from IOI or you are all just here to do a hate train on GOG? No seriously has anyone bothered to engage IOI on their official forums? Has anyone contacted them on their twitter? Has anyone asked IOI what made them think that it was a great idea to sell their game in such a state on GOG? Can anyone show me what IOI has said on this issue? You people realize that IOI could fix this on their end, right? So why are you only here?

Here is IO Interactive's official page:
https://www.ioi.dk
This is their e-mail:
ioi@ioi.dk
This is their twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/iointeractive
This is their facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/iointeractive
This is the official Hitman discord:
http://discord.gg/hitman

So how about you all go and write IOI an e-mail? Tweet at them? Write them on facebook and ask them why they think that their game deserves 60 euros for the state it is in? I've made this as easy as possible for you. If you want the DRM gone the easiest thing would be for IOI to fix it on their end. GO AND CONTACT IO Interactive!!!
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Screamshield
low rated
Screamshield: I have a question? Has anyone here actually tried to get a response from IOI or you are all just here to do a hate train on GOG?
I have a question: who unironically calls legit criticism a hate train? o.0
Oh wait nvm, silly me.....I forgot that it's *current year* and a number of people say such things these days.

The above aside, you must be joking: like a number of corporations, they can(and likely do) delete/ignore any emails/messages they get on the issue through those avenues. The most effective way to get heard is to post such messages on sites/pages they don't control.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
chmegma: aren't you cute

nope, they did not just pick this game to make that stand. it has been evident in their practices since they went public.
Look if you're someone who thinks GOG has been naughty for years because they push Galaxy or whatever then we're not gonna see eye-to-eye. I see Hitman as a massive escalation and violation of their principles like nothing that came before. Like there's no comparison at all, it's a ten ton anvil compared to a grain of sand.
high rated
Screamshield: Has anyone asked IOI what made them think that it was a great idea to sell their game in such a state on GOG?
I think the answer to that is pretty obvious: whatever GOG representative they spoke to.

Screamshield: Can anyone show me what IOI has said on this issue? You people realize that IOI could fix this on their end, right? So why are you only here?
Because it's not IOI's job to uphold's GOG principles. The reall issue isn't the Hitman game itself. The real issue is the shift in GOG's policy regarding DRM and their dishonest conduct. IOI obviously complied with whatever conditions GOG imposed. If IOI alone steps up and fixes the issue, the real, underlying problem will remain. If we don't want to face the same situation again in a month or two with a different game, it's the problem with GOG we need to fix, not with IOI.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Breja
high rated
StingingVelvet: I see Hitman as a massive escalation and violation of their principles like nothing that came before.
You'll get hate for this but I basically agree. (not interested in arguing with people over it though; at least we can come together over the Hitman situation)
octalot: I think this is going to have an effect on other games whose Gog pages have anything ambiguous on them. If I'm wondering about buying a game, but there's something unclear about it working offline, then my response now is going to be to see if it's already been asked in the forums, and if it hasn't to post a question myself. That's a major speed-bump in the purchasing process.

Take "Victor Vran", which is currently on sale at a price cheap enough for an impulse purchase. A bit of research suggests that everything does work offline, but by the time I felt happy with that I'd already noticed that it has some long-standing bugs, and also that all the screenshots show a lack of variety in enemies. The speed-bump lost them the sale, because after doing the research and checking out a Let's Play, I'm no longer interested in playing it myself.
this is a minor derail from the topic at hand, but:

as someone who is playing it, i can confirm that vv is an okayish diablo-like. it's a pretty 5/10 game. maybe a smidge higher if you like that kind of thing.

but it has VERY AWFUL challenges that mar the whole thing. [and have bought it down to about a 4/10 game for me. i'm going to finish it, but i'm also going to be quite glad i bought it at a steep discount.]
high rated
StingingVelvet: Look if you're someone who thinks GOG has been naughty for years because they push Galaxy or whatever then we're not gonna see eye-to-eye. I see Hitman as a massive escalation and violation of their principles like nothing that came before. Like there's no comparison at all, it's a ten ton anvil compared to a grain of sand.
on that I 100% agree. Before Hitman there were just multiplayer and/or small indie with bugs (or drm that gog could not notice), small cosmetic things etc...
I was not happy but I just said to myself "I will try to avoid gog when possible but still buy drm-free games that are only there".

With Hitman I understand that I need to go full boycot on gog. If I continue to buy games here they will continue to go down.
I was not happy with Gwent, I was not happy with the Deus Ex MD DLC, I was not happy with Galaxy, but they continued to go down because I did not stop buying games.
I'll just stop... there are many drm-free games out there not on the gog store, there are many games on my list that I still need to play, I'll get many more free games from epic, indiegala, humble bundle, steam (and yes, even gog, for free games I'll continue to use it).
I was a gog supporter because I was happy about the service, and even when I was not happy it was still better than any other store... Now it's not. No reason to buy here from now on.