It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play a day-in-the-life community sim game where you are given an important task: rebuild the town’s cat café and fill it with cute and cuddly creatures! Calico is now available on GOG.COM with a 15% discount that will end on 25th March 2021, 2 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
I don't play life sims but I feel like if I wanted to play one I'd try this one.
joveian: I'm not a fan of the art style, although hopefully it will grow on me. And holding the animals that way just looks painful. Still, it looks like a good attempt at the kind of game I'd love to see more of and at a reasonable price so I have to try it :).

Hopefully GOG will also pick up Hustle Cat (by a different Seattle developer):

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/hustle_cat
https://datenighto.itch.io/hustle-cat
I'm considering getting more games on Itch.io in the future rather than hoping forever for a GOG version. The problem there is the lack of curation that makes me feel like I have to look through the offer box at the market looking for a good dress mixed with rags. On GOG the excessive and unconsistent threshold of curation.
Post edited March 19, 2021 by Dogmaus
mqstout: Unless you're one of those people who like "haha wonky" crap like Surgeon Simulator or whatever that was. There's... not really any game play so far. Controls are functionable but stilted. The "cooking mini-game" is stale by the 4th time doing it. Animations are... creepy. The music is irksome (when the vocals come in).

I could see where it could go somewhere... after a lot more effort. Right now it definitely is "this is an alpha" (not even beta)..
Thanks for your headsup. I was hoping for a chilling game, but this seems a bit too chilling.
Will wait for some game improvements or a pricedrop.
I played for maybe seven hours yesterday and made it past the credits, although that isn't the end of the game. I'd guess I have another hour or two left to get to 100% completion (I tend to be slower than almost everyone). I enjoyed it and the game itself works fine, although there are a few things that are confusing (e.g. one of the first quests is to find and return someone's cat, but having the cat follow you into their house isn't enough, you have to hold the cat when you talk with the person). It would be nice if the game is improved in some ways, but it may just be a low budget production and this is all they can do unless the game sells well. Since I enjoyed it, I think the $10 intro price was worth it but others might want to wait for a lower price or see if it is polished post release. There aren't many similar games on GOG so I am happy to see it here.

IMO, this game has the same mood as "A Short Hike" but isn't as polished as that game and is more casual. No timed races would be possible in this one as the terrain isn't that detailed, but you are exploring the area and helping out everyone you meet.

mqstout: There's... not really any game play so far.
I disagree, there are a bunch of quests, although they almost all are just talk with a particular person or add some particular furniture to your cafe that you might have already added (then you can complete the quest right away) or have some animal in your cafe that might already be there (you need to pick up and put down the animal to complete the quest). You can also decorate the cafe (it isn't all that large, though), decorate yourself, find all of the animals (if you pet or pick up an animal their name appears on the animals page, otherwise they appear as ???), and use the various magic potions to create a mini scene.

mqstout: Controls are functionable but stilted.
I agree, they aren't all that bad but not ideal. They are also confusing at times later in the game, but in the end they do work and don't feel nearly as bad as many games, at least playing with controller only. Also worth noting that the d-pad is used as buttons so that will be frustrating on controllers that go diagonal easily (however, there is no time pressure so you could just use the keyboard to access those menus). Edit: I just noticed that you can tab through the map, animals, quests, and a neighbors tab that I hadn't noticed that shows how many quests you have left with each character.

mqstout: The "cooking mini-game" is stale by the 4th time doing it.
That is being generous. There are 19 recipies that I found so far (not likely to be many more if any) and you need to do the "cooking mini-game" once for each to put it on your menu (you can only have six items available at any time, but can switch them without doing the "mini-game" again). The recipes are all very similar and it leaves your counter looking messy with no practical way to make it look nicer.

mqstout: Animations are... creepy.
I would personally say mostly "clunkly". Considering how central petting animals is to the game it is jarring how bad it can look much of the time. Animals can end up in odd places, such as at the moment in my cafe there is a pig butt sticking out over halway up the wall because a pig tried to hop from a shelf through the wall onto the refrigerator and got stuck in the wall (you can also sit on a bench through a wall in one case). I didn't stick around the cafe all that much but I could see there being creepy looking stuff at times. Also, people sometimes don't turn to look at you if you start talking when they are facing away. It is more obvious how much work goes into games that isn't easily visible unless it isn't done.

I really like the colors, I can't think of another game that has that much of a water color feel to it, although I think there must be a few. I did end up quite happy with the overal graphic design except for the low budget clunkyness.

mqstout: The music is irksome (when the vocals come in).
I didn't notice this, the vocals always sounded nice to me, but I could imagine there might be some timing issue that I didn't hit or notice (unless you just mean that you don't like the music?). Most of the music sounds like royalty free clips, but while repetitive (as so much game music is) I think it works decently to set the mood. There are at least pauses in the music and a fairly detailed list of sound types such that you can turn off everything but animal sounds if you want (though I didn't check if it works as described).

Carradice: However, what if the game was an unreliable narrator itself? Maybe what you see is what the people in the village see after making a surprise omelette with some mystery mushrooms found in the forest. Mind, they think they are riding cats.
I laughed when starting the game after reading that since the main menu backgound has a bunch of cats floating through the air. There is definitely some psychedelic influence on the game, though unlike some I've played (Everything, Eidolon), it doesn't feel exclusively designed to be played while high.
Post edited March 20, 2021 by joveian
Alexim: Calico and Neurodeck: Psychological Deckbuilder don't seem to have any Galaxy achievements at the moment.
GamezRanker: I don't see the problem, tbqh. :)

(of course that could be partially because I sometimes wish devs would go back to the old-school secrets and easter eggs and rely less on the dopamine drip addiction hooks that are achievements)

=-=-=

Carradice: Then, if a cat is large enough to ride, you actually have... Something worryingly similar to a tiger?
GamezRanker: As long as no one lets Carol Baskin near it, we should be fine. :D
I don't know why you got downvoted a lot, but I felt achievement is such an artificial "fishing pole and carrot" tactic. For me I believe players decided to choose what kind of achievement we want to get in video game. I remember having so much fun playing my games my way without worrying about some list I need to fulfill. Games is supposed to be fun not some kind of a to do list job I need to complete.
RedRagan: Games is supposed to be fun not some kind of a to do list job I need to complete.
Some people just can't live without their useless virtual trinkets anymore. *le sigh* Thanks, Microsoft, for introducing that crap.
low rated
RedRagan: I don't know why you got downvoted a lot, but I felt achievement is such an artificial "fishing pole and carrot" tactic.
Agreed....such things were almost certainly mainly made to get people to buy/play more games** and spend more money, sort of like loot boxes.

And all it usually is is a little pic and some text....the content in the games themselves often being far better and more entertaining.

(**Some people even buy more games, even ones in genres/on subject matter they dislike, just to get the achievements/game score)

(as for the rating...it's not that post: I get low-rated on nearly everything....I usually don't pay it much mind, except maybe in things like wondering how low it can go and how long the ones doing it might bother keeping it going)

RedRagan: For me I believe players decided to choose what kind of achievement we want to get in video game. I remember having so much fun playing my games my way without worrying about some list I need to fulfill. Games is supposed to be fun not some kind of a to do list job I need to complete.
Well they're there more to give people positive feedback and engage that dopamine drip, thereby encouraging them to spend more money on games/etc.

Also well said.

-
-
-

Mr.Mumbles: Some people just can't live without their useless virtual trinkets anymore.
Dopamine, it's a helluva drug.
Post edited March 20, 2021 by GamezRanker