It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fuzzy wuzzy. Deep & tactical.

<span class="bold">Armello</span> a beautiful mix of card game, tabletop and RPG, is available now on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com

Looks aren't everything, and they can be deceiving. Armello's beautiful art, from the 2D Animated cutscenes through the 3D world and its characters, is an exceptional achievement that marries classic aesthetics with completely new mediums. The warmth of a classic Disney cartoon emanates from every corner of this graphical masterpiece.
But in armello, looks are just the tip of the iceberg - and deceiving they are. Underneath the lighthearted and whimsical facade is a deep, sophisticated mix of strategy, card game and RPG - it's no child's play. Your adventures across the world of Amello will be filled with peril, tactical challenge and difficult decisions - you'll affect the politics of this world, as well as its people. And whether you're a bear, a fox, or a bunny rabbit - your quest for the crown will be painted with blood. Armello takes the classic fantasy of cartoon animal adventure, and the feel of a truly mature tabletop, and brings them together in one of the most surprisingly entertaining indie titles of the year.

The soothing sounds of nature have nothing on the Armello Original Soundtrack</span>, so sit back and heed the Wyld's Call.

Rule the animal kingdom in <span class="bold">Armello</span>, available DRM-free on GOG.com.
TheTome56: Strategy games are about making your own story by guiding your own people to their own fates. All the good ones have no story outside of a "quest line" victory condition.
Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.

As for me, the lack of a proper single player ca,paign makes Armello much less interesting than it could have been. I'll still probably pick it up eventualy, but only when it's on sale. And I think it should be clarified on the game's page that it only has multiplayer with bots as a single player mode. It may not be a problem for you, but as you can see there are others who could get a nasty surprise from that.
In what way is it different from, say, Civilisation? The other players are just bots but I really don't think people will call it a "multiplayer game with bots".
Breja: Actually, this might be a good moment to ask- are there any other good games (strategies or RPGs) with a similar theme? Old or new, does not matter, as long as it's fun in a Redwall-like world.
Geralt_of_Rivia: If you are ok with Adventures then check out Inherit the Earth and The Night of the Rabbit.
inherit the earth is very good, but beware! you'll have to contend with mazes. the rest of the game is quite interesting, especially if you're willing to use your imagination and fill in the blanks, because the studio got told to make it "kid friendly" and so much of the real thought provoking stuff - how the situation in inherit the earth itself came to be, for example - is mostly left on the table and not really explored at all.

i haven't played night of the rabbit, so cannot comment. what little i watched of it made me shrug.
vulchor: If you don't like, that's fine, but don't like it because you don't like board games, not because you misinterpreted a comment by the dev. The single player game plays just like the Multiplayer game, and is just as fun.
In two sentences you accuse me of misinterpreting the devs, and then say exactly what I've been saying - that the single player is just like the multiplayer. And whether it's "fun" I never judged, one way or the other. In fact, I admitted it might be. I'm not saying it's a bad game. I never told anyone not to buy it. I just stated my reason for not buying it, and said that I belive that the nature of the game should be better explained, for everyone to make their own decision on buying it a well informed one. I think you're overrating my influence on people on this forum. It's not like anyone here makes decision "because Breja said so". All I did was point out an important aspect of the game not explained well by GOG, and everyone can research what the game is like on their own. Including your post, and the infromation you provided.

Oh, and for the record - I like board games a lot. Just real board games, to get together and play "live".
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Breja
eiii: But a good campaign mode can make them even better.
I guess for some people. But everytime I try the campaigns in Heroes or Age of Wonders I just get annoyed by the scripted gameplay. The only good campaign mode which comes to my mind is Eadors, which is basically a string of random maps.
eiii: But a good campaign mode can make them even better.
jamotide: I guess for some people. But everytime I try the campaigns in Heroes or Age of Wonders I just get annoyed by the scripted gameplay. The only good campaign mode which comes to my mind is Eadors, which is basically a string of random maps.
Which might be why I got bored after the third and gave up on the whole thing.
viperfdl: Doesn't bunny and rabbit mean the same animal?
Licurg: NO! The bunny is cuter than the rabbit. Don't you know anything ?
No, I know nothing and I don't fucking care how the meat on my plate is called or how cute it is.
;p
JudasIscariot: Not sure where this is coming from but there are two main menu items in the game: Single-player and Multiplayer.
Breja: I'm sorry, I wasn not precise- there is a single player, but as I understand it's just multiplayer with bots. Not a proper single player campaign.

From the Steam forum: "There is not going to be a campaign mode or similar.

Singleplayer Armello is the same four character race for the throne as multiplayer, just with AI."
Well this is basically a digital version of a board game so yeah, that's how the game looks and plays.
viperfdl: Doesn't bunny and rabbit mean the same animal?
EndlessWaves: Bunnies are the cute subset of all rabbits. Other types of rabbits are available.
Ok. I looked for the translation of those words on dict.cc and there it shows for both words the same: / [url=http://www.dict.cc/?s=rabbit]rabbit.
So the difference between bunny and rabbit is quite the same as "Kaninchen" and "Hase" in German. Thanks for the info.
vulchor: It is more comparable to the Witcher Board Game
That's the impression I've slowly been building from comments as well. In that case it probably is one I will pick up eventually, but likely on sale since such games are just occasional plays for a solo gamer like myself. But I did enjoy Witcher Adventures, and who knows, if the game has a good lobby mechanism, I might even jump into multiplayer sometime.
I got this on Steam because when I looked, I didn't see any mention of it coming to GOG. Dangit.

It's a great game. Sort of 'Game of Thrones of Farthing Wood'.

As far as a campaign mode goes: It's not a strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic or Galactic Civilizations. It's a strategy board game. Like Stratego or chess. I've never seen anyone complain about a lack of campaign in Chessmaster 2000!

I've seen people compare it to Settlers of Catan, though I don't think it's a good comparison myself; there's far less resource management and far more fighting.
Clearsong: As far as a campaign mode goes: It's not a strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic or Galactic Civilizations. It's a strategy board game. Like Stratego or chess. I've never seen anyone complain about a lack of campaign in Chessmaster 2000!
But I bet you've seen quite a few people not playing Chessmaster 2000.
TheTome56: Strategy games are about making your own story by guiding your own people to their own fates. All the good ones have no story outside of a "quest line" victory condition.
Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.

As for me, the lack of a proper single player ca,paign makes Armello much less interesting than it could have been. I'll still probably pick it up eventualy, but only when it's on sale. And I think it should be clarified on the game's page that it only has multiplayer with bots as a single player mode. It may not be a problem for you, but as you can see there are others who could get a nasty surprise from that.
You know, I really need to get to the stories thread which I already favorited, read it all, and argue with you a bit there :)

Here I will only say that for strategy games a campaign is not normal, and should not IMO therefore be expected. Your preferences are fine and legitimate, but saying a disclaimer is necessary to avoid surprises, seems to me hugely excessive both in principle, and because I think for this kind of game your preferences are a minority. Only exception being RTSs of the Blizzard, Westwood vintage, of which Age of Empires belongs, which lead into the Company of Heroes, World in Conflict stuff - which are now a much smaller deal than League of Legends or DOTA which have taken over the RTS genre so to speak.
Brasas: You know, I really need to get to the stories thread which I already favorited, read it all, and argue with you a bit there :)
If you wish, but I really think I've said everything there was to be said.

Brasas: Here I will only say that for strategy games a campaign is not normal, and should not IMO therefore be expected.
Really? Heroes of MIght & Magic (six games, soon to be seven, plus expansions, one of the most important series in gaming), Disciples (3 games with expansions), the Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy series, Ascension to the Throne, King's Bounty series, X-Com, King Arthur + the sequel... and most RTSes, I really don't think expecting a campaign in a strategy game is a far fetched notion.

Brasas: Your preferences are fine and legitimate, but saying a disclaimer is necessary to avoid surprises, seems to me hugely excessive both in principle, and because I think for this kind of game your preferences are a minority.
Yes, being well informed before making a purchase is surely "hugely excessive". Come on. Also, how did you conclude I'm in the minority? And even if I am... so what? I don't have the right to know what I'm buying unless at least 51% of gamers share my taste in games?

And again, for clarity's sake: I'm not saying Armello is a bad game, or that the developers have done something wrong by choosing the direction they did. I merely stated my personal dissapointment in the fact that a game that otherwise would be exactly what I've been looking for tunrs out not the be the kind of game I want after all, and that I think it's decription in store should be clearer. Now, how can that last thing, regardless of one's personal opinion of the game, be seen as a unreasonable thing I truly don't know.

Just think of somethink like Star Wars Battlefront. It also had the option to play single player. Does that mean it wasn't a multiplayer focused game, and that this fact should not be clearly stated? Do you think someone who loves single player FPSes but dislikes multiplayer would be fine with buying Battlefront? I rather doubt it, but that does not mean Battlefront was a bad game.

But probably wanting to play a good single player campaign in a FPS is also a silly notion of a crazed minority :P
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Breja
Breja: snip
Edit: Oh man, you nasty one :) adding to the post therefore softening the tone after I started writing the reply... sneaky :D

Given that let me add that I was certainly reductive when I implied RTSs were the only campaign driven strategy games. I had in mind the privileging of story as defining a game's campaign. Per the examples you posted clearly that was a mistaken assumption.

Original post resumes...

From the bottom.

Disclaiming everything that is not in a game is kind of... impossible? :) Hence the excessive part does not apply to wanting to be informed, but to the level of detail which you consider necessary for strategy games. The minority status is obviously one valid metric by which to determine that normal level which will determine what standards to disclaim. I mean, you listed a bunch of examples - popular ones no less - and yet move on to dispute the value of shall we say, democratic quantifiable metrics? :)

Then, I didn't say anything about far fetched. :) I will be happy to grant there are as many strategy games with campaigns as without. So both are normal, or both are not normal. Which still leads to the point I made that an expectation either way is excessive - the expectation of universality implied by the disclaimer notion is the far fetched aspect. The actual existence of examples is not in dispute. Nice try though, for a strawman it was subtle.

Happy now? I walked back the implication of abnormality, not that I think being in the minority is anything to be ashamed of...

I'll add as a tangent, and as taste for the other thread - and by the way you have here motivated me to go there, I have so little time though - I am somewhat puzzled and curious what exactly you consider a campaign to be.

Because campaigns like in say Panzer General are obviously not story based - they're just strings of scripted scenarios without even the kind of Fantasy Wars narrative - despite this being the canonical and historical meaning of a campaign obviously. And you probably know the majority of wargames were always more dynamic than that. Then the HOMM genre of fantasy TBS derived from RPGs and had a lot of lore traditionally - most of your examples are in that genre. The classics of management, like SimCity, Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon or The Sims itself - no campaign. And neither most classic 4X like CIV, MoO, MoM. Both these genres have a narrative arc due to their mechanics implying expansion, growth and domination, so they climax so to speak, but again, I don't think this is normally understood as campaign by most. Maybe you do though, because you included XCom on your list (and if King Arthur is a Total War like game that might also apply here). SRPGs like XCom can go both ways, something like Jagged Alliance is arguably much more campaigny, but XCOM has as much narrative as CIV - it's mainly sandboxy with some narrative arc pillars here and there. Another example would be Pirates which likewise is much more sandboxy despite having an obvious narrative.

So to go back to the beginning, I assume you see campaign as a series of challenges framed by some narrative, but if you include something like XCOM in that then I don't see why you wouldn't also consider Armello to have a campaign. You go through a number of fights or encounters and experience a narrative of fighting the magic corruption which has a few prescribed climaxes. The challenges / encounters are not scripted, but neither are they in XCom or something like Total War...

So you see, maybe you only think you have no more to say. But as I suspected, I see some possible internal contradictions in your positions. Should be interesting to go deeper, I like a good ludo-narrative dissonance argument and hopefully you do too ;)
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Brasas
For anyone looking for gameplay, there's a pretty good channel that has been covering the game since it was in Early Access right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDYq6KmwOtk&amp;list=PLVmM0UVcquYJasd5L7In4uEYlwO19hmyu

The first video does start with an earlier version than what you're getting here, and improvements have been made since then, (which you can see in later videos in that same playlist), but since the guy playing the game is learning it for the first time, it's the best one to start with to figure out what's going on along with him. There should be more than enough footage in that playlist for anyone interested in seeing how the game plays from start to finish in a session. He even plays all 4 playable characters throughout, and aims for different win conditions. Check it out if you're on the fence about the game. The videos are roughly an hour each.