It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fuzzy wuzzy. Deep & tactical.

<span class="bold">Armello</span> a beautiful mix of card game, tabletop and RPG, is available now on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com

Looks aren't everything, and they can be deceiving. Armello's beautiful art, from the 2D Animated cutscenes through the 3D world and its characters, is an exceptional achievement that marries classic aesthetics with completely new mediums. The warmth of a classic Disney cartoon emanates from every corner of this graphical masterpiece.
But in armello, looks are just the tip of the iceberg - and deceiving they are. Underneath the lighthearted and whimsical facade is a deep, sophisticated mix of strategy, card game and RPG - it's no child's play. Your adventures across the world of Amello will be filled with peril, tactical challenge and difficult decisions - you'll affect the politics of this world, as well as its people. And whether you're a bear, a fox, or a bunny rabbit - your quest for the crown will be painted with blood. Armello takes the classic fantasy of cartoon animal adventure, and the feel of a truly mature tabletop, and brings them together in one of the most surprisingly entertaining indie titles of the year.

The soothing sounds of nature have nothing on the Armello Original Soundtrack</span>, so sit back and heed the Wyld's Call.

Rule the animal kingdom in <span class="bold">Armello</span>, available DRM-free on GOG.com.
vulchor: No, it's DRM-Free as of today. Humble is the DRM-free version they are giving to backers, unfortunately. I'm still waiting to hear back if I can get a GOG key instead.
In that case, then they should update the product's description on the store, as it still mentions that it's Steam-only.

But even in that scenario, Humble Store could theoretically follow the same path as Brutal Legend; offer the DRM-Free version for single-player and the Steam key for multiplayer. Since Brutal Legend was released on GOG before the Galaxy client, the version sold here comes without any multiplayer.
Got this. Been waiting for it since it appeared in the upcoming list months ago. And a second copy for a friend. Woo!
Wurzelkraft: I rather wonder if the "fully optional" Galaxy client is also mandatory for the multiplayer portion of this game too. ;)
A game having features that depend on GOG Galaxy doesn't make it any less optional.
Breja: Actually, this might be a good moment to ask- are there any other good games (strategies or RPGs) with a similar theme? Old or new, does not matter, as long as it's fun in a Redwall-like world.
As far as animal characters go, I do have a little mix of all the games I could find on GOG, but with the exception of Inherit the Earth, nothing really comes close to that same Redwall-like fantasy feeling. and it's sequel [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/25000/]Overgrowth are about the closest thing that I can think of at the moment.

Although if you're looking for more good reads and into comics, Mouse Gaurd and The Mice Templar are quite similar to Redwall. The Autumnlands is pretty cool, too.
Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.

As for me, the lack of a proper single player ca,paign makes Armello much less interesting than it could have been. I'll still probably pick it up eventualy, but only when it's on sale. And I think it should be clarified on the game's page that it only has multiplayer with bots as a single player mode. It may not be a problem for you, but as you can see there are others who could get a nasty surprise from that.
vulchor: I suggest you watch videos before you judge. What kind of single player experience would you be expecting that doesn't include AI opponents? Name one single player game that doesn't have that. It's not 'bots' like in Quake 3. It's more like AI opponents like in every other turn-based strategy/4x game like Civilization. Saying 'bots' gives the complete wrong connotation.
Of course the single player has to have AI opponents, that's not the issue. The issue is there is no proper single player campaign, it's just playing a multiplayer game with bots. That's what it is. Armello was made as a multiplayer game, and even the developers clearly say so. It's not like heroes of might and magic or Disciples or Fantasy Wars, turn based games with proper single player campaigns, or even like Civ and other 4x games, as those are also made wth single player in mind. In Armello the single player is an after though, it's just the multiplayer, played against AI. Now, is that "bad"? Depends on what one wants from the game. Can it still be fun? Yes. All I'm sying is that I think the games page should be clearer about what the game is, as I don't think it explains it clearly enough, and that for me personally that virtual board game to play against AI isn't worth the current price. That's it.

Exoanthrope: Although if you're looking for more good reads and into comics, Mouse Gaurd and The Mice Templar are quite similar to Redwall. The Autumnlands is pretty cool, too.
I've had my eye on Mouse Guard for a while now, and on The Autumnlands since recently, but I don't really have the cash right now to start reading even more series. I love comics, but unfortunately it can be a rather expensive hobby.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Breja
Ran through the prologue, seems great.

No hotseat multiplayer, sadly :(

There are a *FEW* rough edges*, but overall seems well-done and polished.

*Examples, small things like:
-Sometimes tooltops appearing off the edge of the screen.
-No ability to zoom without wheelmouse (and even then limited zoom)
-Can't disable edge scrolling.
-"Custom" graphics options choice, but no menus for them.
-No ability to slow down/pause die rolls/battles/etc to have a chance to see the results better.
-No ability to speed up movement/animations/etc to focus on the game.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by mqstout
mattymuc: And another game I miss a GOG-key as a backer :-(
Which is unlikely to change as long as people only complain about the missing GOG key after they have backed a game. ;)

TheTome56: I think you're confusing "Real Time Strategy" for "Turn Based Strategy" . Because AoE is a real time strategy game. It follows different rules then a Turn Based Strategy game like Armello.
Which does not mean that there are no good TBS games which do have a campaign mode. HoMM, Disciples, Wesnoth come to my mind.

Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.
jamotide: More like all good strategy games don't need a storymode
But a good campaign mode can make them even better.
IronArcturus: Is this game similar to the King's Bounty games?
Not at all. It's an "electronic board game". Did you try out the Witcher Adventure game that was part of the Galaxy beta? Just like that was an "electronic board game". (Completely different game styles/play!)
Lemon_Curry: Judging by the current selection of Metacritic reviews this is far from an enjoyable game as victory is a lot more dependent on luck and randomness than skill. Personally, I don't find the graphics appealing at all (apart from the animated cutscenes). It looks like the bastard child of a flashy mobile P2P and a casual flash game.
People said that about FTL. (And were wrong.)
Post edited October 01, 2015 by mqstout
IronArcturus: Is this game similar to the King's Bounty games?
mqstout: Not at all. It's an "electronic board game". Did you try out the Witcher Adventure game that was part of the Galaxy beta? Just like that was an "electronic board game". (Completely different game styles/play!)
Lemon_Curry: Judging by the current selection of Metacritic reviews this is far from an enjoyable game as victory is a lot more dependent on luck and randomness than skill. Personally, I don't find the graphics appealing at all (apart from the animated cutscenes). It looks like the bastard child of a flashy mobile P2P and a casual flash game.
mqstout: People said that about FTL. (And were wrong.)
Aaaaand here come the bandwagon 1 star reviews on GOG. I love how people depend on metacritic rather than their own personal interpretation of what is good or not.
Well, I haven't played that game (and it's not because of what those people said). :)

micktiegs_8: I love how people depend on metacritic rather than their own personal interpretation of what is good or not.
I don't depend on Metacritic if that's what you're insinuating. I don't care about ratings, reviews featured at dubious gaming sites and users spouting hyperbolic BS. I simply read with a critical eye.
IAmSinistar: Excellent. I shall be picking this up once I've freed up the time to play it. Looks to be a good game in the vein of Age of Wonders, only more charming.
Breja: I'm sorry, I wasn not precise- there is a single player, but as I understand it's just multiplayer with bots. Not a proper single player campaign.

From the Steam forum: "There is not going to be a campaign mode or similar.

Singleplayer Armello is the same four character race for the throne as multiplayer, just with AI."
IAmSinistar: Ah, maybe not then. This quite diminishes the interest. No proper campaign pretty much scotches it for me.
Appeal to some i guess. Ill pass on it for the same reason :/
Lemon_Curry: Well, I haven't played that game (and it's not because of what those people said). :)

micktiegs_8: I love how people depend on metacritic rather than their own personal interpretation of what is good or not.
Lemon_Curry: I don't depend on Metacritic if that's what you're insinuating. I don't care about ratings, reviews featured at dubious gaming sites and users spouting hyperbolic BS. I simply read with a critical eye.
You're still reading with a critical eye from those places. Places that like to paraphrase each other's words a lot of the time. Watch an idividual YTer's gameplay and see the game in action. Who knows, it could grow on you given a chance.
micktiegs_8: You're still reading with a critical eye from those places. Places that like to paraphrase each other's words a lot of the time.
If I am to critically assess the quality of a review I have to read all of it (there are links to the full reviews you know). When I visit Metacritic (I'm not a bloody fanatic) I mostly study the user reviews (as in the case of Armello). My own personal opinion is not determined by what others think.

micktiegs_8: Watch an idividual YTer's gameplay and see the game in action. Who knows, it could grow on you given a chance.
Sure, it might though it wouldn't be the same as playing it myself.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
This game tears me up, on one hand it has a fantastic art style with adorable characters, on the other hand it's in a genre I don't even slightly enjoy. :s
vulchor: I suggest you watch videos before you judge. What kind of single player experience would you be expecting that doesn't include AI opponents? Name one single player game that doesn't have that. It's not 'bots' like in Quake 3. It's more like AI opponents like in every other turn-based strategy/4x game like Civilization. Saying 'bots' gives the complete wrong connotation.
Breja: Of course the single player has to have AI opponents, that's not the issue. The issue is there is no proper single player campaign, it's just playing a multiplayer game with bots. That's what it is. Armello was made as a multiplayer game, and even the developers clearly say so. It's not like heroes of might and magic or Disciples or Fantasy Wars, turn based games with proper single player campaigns, or even like Civ and other 4x games, as those are also made wth single player in mind. In Armello the single player is an after though, it's just the multiplayer, played against AI. Now, is that "bad"? Depends on what one wants from the game. Can it still be fun? Yes. All I'm sying is that I think the games page should be clearer about what the game is, as I don't think it explains it clearly enough, and that for me personally that virtual board game to play against AI isn't worth the current price. That's it.
I'm so glad you're an expert. Single player was most certainly not an after thought. I was a backer and paid close attention, I beta tested the game and I can assure you that you are judging this unfairly. It's not like 'bots'. It is like playing against the AI in a game just like Civilization. You are misleading other people with your 'know-it-all expert opinion'. Other people have told you that it is like Civ. The game is not the same type of game as Heroes of might and Magic. It is more comparable to the Witcher Board Game, however it is similar to Civ without the city building in that there are different ways to victory. If you don't like, that's fine, but don't like it because you don't like board games, not because you misinterpreted a comment by the dev. The single player game plays just like the Multiplayer game, and is just as fun. The gameplay is varied. Even if you play with another person and computer opponents, or three other people, the computer still controls the King and the King's army.

I have never even played a multiplayer game of Armello, but it's quite challenging and takes quite a few hours to win just one game in some cases. There is also a tutorial which plays like a short story mode. It has multiple mini-campaigns to progress through, telling you the backstory of each faction and lore of the world. It's not going to give you any replay value, but it is fun to start out with that.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by vulchor