It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fuzzy wuzzy. Deep & tactical.

<span class="bold">Armello</span> a beautiful mix of card game, tabletop and RPG, is available now on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com

Looks aren't everything, and they can be deceiving. Armello's beautiful art, from the 2D Animated cutscenes through the 3D world and its characters, is an exceptional achievement that marries classic aesthetics with completely new mediums. The warmth of a classic Disney cartoon emanates from every corner of this graphical masterpiece.
But in armello, looks are just the tip of the iceberg - and deceiving they are. Underneath the lighthearted and whimsical facade is a deep, sophisticated mix of strategy, card game and RPG - it's no child's play. Your adventures across the world of Amello will be filled with peril, tactical challenge and difficult decisions - you'll affect the politics of this world, as well as its people. And whether you're a bear, a fox, or a bunny rabbit - your quest for the crown will be painted with blood. Armello takes the classic fantasy of cartoon animal adventure, and the feel of a truly mature tabletop, and brings them together in one of the most surprisingly entertaining indie titles of the year.

The soothing sounds of nature have nothing on the Armello Original Soundtrack</span>, so sit back and heed the Wyld's Call.

Rule the animal kingdom in <span class="bold">Armello</span>, available DRM-free on GOG.com.
I'm a bit bummed by the lack of a campaign as well. A little less so now that I looked at it again and it seems the game will spawn random maps (I was initially under the impression it might be the same fixed "board" over and over again).

I think for me it depends on how long each "map" is - something like Civ doesn't have a "campaign" because you're talking about investing a huge number of turns and time on each discrete start. With this game, I get the idea it's shooting for more of a "board game" time frame, with each play taking an hour or three (again, this is just a guess on my part).

To keep me engaged, I wouldn't have minded a single player campaign, where maybe each "level" was a setpiece board with a continuous story, and maybe a payoff of a new character or set of cards to unlock as the player makes progress toward wrapping up the tale of conquest over a series of boards.

As is, now that I know it randomly generates maps on each playthrough I feel a bit better - but if each "game" isn't a Civ Epic (which for this I don't think it should be) and is more of a 45 minute - 1.5 hour diversion, I'm not sure what will keep me invested over the long haul.
Ixamyakxim: As is, now that I know it randomly generates maps on each playthrough I feel a bit better - but if each "game" isn't a Civ Epic (which for this I don't think it should be) and is more of a 45 minute - 1.5 hour diversion, I'm not sure what will keep me invested over the long haul.
Since I have not played it I can't tell for sure, but if it's basically a board game to play with friends the 45 minute - 1,5 hour diversion is exactly what I expect. I mean, with some rare exceptions playing a board game usually isn't a Civilisation or Total War scale thing.
About time, I've been waiting for this one. It's only a month late. :P

Except now I'm broke for a while and there's no launch discount, so I'll keep it in the wishlist for now.
Actually, this might be a good moment to ask- are there any other good games (strategies or RPGs) with a similar theme? Old or new, does not matter, as long as it's fun in a Redwall-like world.
Breja: Actually, this might be a good moment to ask- are there any other good games (strategies or RPGs) with a similar theme? Old or new, does not matter, as long as it's fun in a Redwall-like world.
If you are ok with Adventures then check out Inherit the Earth and The Night of the Rabbit.
Definitely looking forward to play this one day :)

Caught my attention right when it was released, glad it found it´s way here.
I keep reading about how this game is a "card game," but isn't it just a turn-based hexagon game? Are the cards just buffs for the character?
EndlessWaves: In what way? I can't see any other mention of rabbits, bunnies or otherwise.
viperfdl: Doesn't bunny and rabbit mean the same animal?
NO! The bunny is cuter than the rabbit. Don't you know anything ?
Breja: Actually, this might be a good moment to ask- are there any other good games (strategies or RPGs) with a similar theme? Old or new, does not matter, as long as it's fun in a Redwall-like world.
Geralt_of_Rivia: If you are ok with Adventures then check out Inherit the Earth and The Night of the Rabbit.
I've played Night of the Rabbit (very good, though if there isn't a sequel then the ending kinda sucks), and I know about Inherit the Earth, but I'm looking for something of more RPG-ish variety,
Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.
More like all good strategy games don't need a storymode

not sure if that is the case here, though
Post edited October 01, 2015 by jamotide
Breja: What you're saying can be true, but saying that all good strategy games have no story is absolutely ridiculous.
jamotide: More like all good strategy games don't need a storymode
More like some players don't need a storymode.

I could swear we've already had this discussion, quite recently too.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by Breja
Wurzelkraft: I rather wonder if the "fully optional" Galaxy client is also mandatory for the multiplayer portion of this game too. ;)
I doubt it, because there is a Humble Bundle release of this game too and they don't have Galaxy or anything like it, so I don't see how that could be.
vulchor: I doubt it, because there is a Humble Bundle release of this game too and they don't have Galaxy or anything like it, so I don't see how that could be.
Well, the Humble Store release is a Steam key, so...
TheTome56: Strategy games are about making your own story by guiding your own people to their own fates. All the good ones have no story outside of a "quest line" victory condition.

As for me, the lack of a proper single player ca,paign makes Armello much less interesting than it could have been. I'll still probably pick it up eventualy, but only when it's on sale. And I think it should be clarified on the game's page that it only has multiplayer with bots as a single player mode. It may not be a problem for you, but as you can see there are others who could get a nasty surprise from that.
I suggest you watch videos before you judge. What kind of single player experience would you be expecting that doesn't include AI opponents? Name one single player game that doesn't have that. It's not 'bots' like in Quake 3. It's more like AI opponents like in every other turn-based strategy/4x game like Civilization. Saying 'bots' gives the complete wrong connotation. The single player experience is as full and rich of an experience as the multi-player.
vulchor: I doubt it, because there is a Humble Bundle release of this game too and they don't have Galaxy or anything like it, so I don't see how that could be.
Grargar: Well, the Humble Store release is a Steam key, so...
No, it's DRM-Free as of today. Humble is the DRM-free version they are giving to backers, unfortunately. I'm still waiting to hear back if I can get a GOG key instead.

IronArcturus: I keep reading about how this game is a "card game," but isn't it just a turn-based hexagon game? Are the cards just buffs for the character?
Yes, the cards are "buffs" but more than that too, as there are cards that do damage to enemies, and alter gameplay.
Post edited October 01, 2015 by vulchor
EndlessWaves: In what way? I can't see any other mention of rabbits, bunnies or otherwise.
viperfdl: Doesn't bunny and rabbit mean the same animal?
Bunnies are the cute subset of all rabbits. Other types of rabbits are available.