It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
JudasIscariot: I'd rather have us win the DRM free battle first and the regional price one second :) Again, just my opinion on the matter :)
In my opinion by the time GOG feels like it has won the DRM Free battle the one against regional pricing would have been lost already by then. The way things have gone in the short span of time since regional pricing was enforced under the promise of a bigger and better GOG with mostly every new indie self published games being regionally priced, there will be no battle to fight by the end of next year.

JudasIscariot: I will point out, for those who've forgotten, that The Witcher 2 was once regionally priced but now sports a flat worldwide price :) I personally hope we'll see other regional priced games do the same after a period of time :)
We do remember it, but now its more like a distant memory of brighter days. It is a real shame that regionally priced games eventually becoming flat priced is something that you're just personally hoping for and not what GOG has seriously considered as policy with publishers when signing new regionally priced games. The way things are with CDP releasing their own The Witcher Adventure Game regionally priced without any plausible or compelling reason, then I don't have high hopes of even seeing The Witcher 3 being flat priced some day.
Post edited November 26, 2014 by stg83
high rated
PaterAlf: So please tell us: Which bigger games did we get without DRM, because of regional pricing?

The Witcher 3 and The Witcher Adventure Game from your own company? Divinity: Original Sin, a crowd-funded game which developers brought all their other games flat-priced here and promised the game would be available on GOG right from the beginning of their campaign? Wasteland 2, another crowd-funded game that made millions before it was even released?

All other games that arrived regionally-priced here by now (60 titles by now) are indie games and/or games by developers that were fine with flat prices before. In addition to that 35 popular games had to leave the catalogue, because you couldn't find an agreement with their publisher.

Can't see the ominous big DRM-free titles, just a bunch of greedy developers who try to take advantage from the new price sceme.

[...]
Sadly, I have to agree with all of this.

The introduction of regional pricing might have gone down differently if GOG hadn't chosen an insulting PR stand with their "Good news!" announcement and the carrot of shiny big titles (yes, that announcement spoke of AAA games) coming. Turns out the carrot was a lie and all we got was the stick.
PaterAlf: So please tell us: Which bigger games did we get without DRM, because of regional pricing?

The Witcher 3 and The Witcher Adventure Game from your own company? Divinity: Original Sin, a crowd-funded game which developers brought all their other games flat-priced here and promised the game would be available on GOG right from the beginning of their campaign? Wasteland 2, another crowd-funded game that made millions before it was even released?

All other games that arrived regionally-priced here by now (60 titles by now) are indie games and/or games by developers that were fine with flat prices before. In addition to that 35 popular games had to leave the catalogue, because you couldn't find an agreement with their publisher.

Can't see the ominous big DRM-free titles, just a bunch of greedy developers who try to take advantage from the new price sceme.

[...]
HypersomniacLive: Sadly, I have to agree with all of this.

The introduction of regional pricing might have gone down differently if GOG hadn't chosen an insulting PR stand with their "Good news!" announcement and the carrot of shiny big titles (yes, that announcement spoke of AAA games) coming. Turns out the carrot was a lie and all we got was the stick.
This!
Agree with all of the above posters - aside from Russians who can get their games cheaper (at the expense of the rest of us subsidizing them?) there has been NO BENEFIT FOR THE CONSUMER due to regional pricing here.

The point of all of this is that regional pricing as such was not needed to bring new AAA titles here since the bigger issue there is drm-free and no new big AAA releases confirms that. It was only needed to increase gog's own profit which is the whole point of this and several developer's have stated in gog forum's that in some cases gog is the one pushing regional pricing and not them which is understandable -> more profit for gog afterall. Its understandable they are a company and they wan't more profit but on the other side they were never that much interested in that part of the business till this year.
Post edited November 26, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: The point of all of this is that regional pricing as such was not needed to bring new AAA titles here since the bigger issue there is drm-free and no new big AAA releases confirms that. It was only needed to increase gog's own profit which is the whole point of this and several developer's have stated in gog forum's that in some cases gog is the one pushing regional pricing and not them which is understandable -> more profit for gog afterall.
The biggest problem I have with this is the insulting sugar coating.
Klumpen0815: The biggest problem I have with this is the insulting sugar coating.
Yes, I also feel insulted cause they are holding us for stupid.
Matruchus: several developer's have stated in gog forum
I believe this bears emphasising as well. Some developers have been surprised by the backlash their regional priced releases received on the forum, almost as though there was no real discussion about it with GOG before the release. Some of them just said the equivalent of "we regionally priced it here because that's how it's done everywhere". So they aren't even educated that there is a scheme apart from regional pricing, and it seems GOG didn't feel inclined to provide that education.

Either that, or the developers are out of the loop and it's the publishers who are handling the negotiations. This is entirely possible too, but still worrying.

As I've said before, I believe this ship has sailed, and future attempts to bring it back to port are unlikely to succeed. And I'm sorry that it couldn't obtain the high quality cargo we were promised as part of the departure plans.
high rated
stg83: The way things are with CDP releasing their own The Witcher Adventure Game regionally priced without any plausible or compelling reason, then I don't have high hopes of even seeing The Witcher 3 being flat priced some day.
This.

Regional pricing isn't fair and what makes it worse is that GOG also once believed that. What worries me is that I feel that this is going to be the norm and not the exception with all future releases. All I can do as a consumer is not buy the regionally priced games until they become (hopefully one day) flat priced. And that's hard especially as there have been a few recently that I'd love to add to my collection. But, principles are principles - and no one said it was going to be easy :) I realise that GOG have tried to sweeten the pill by offering store credit but I'd rather see the one world, one price policy back. It was a much fairer system.
IAmSinistar: I confess to being curious about that too. The only additional titles so far that possibly fit the bill are Pillars of Eternity and the Mount & Blade series. And the latter arrived mostly under the "flat price w/ Russian discount" model, so even that isn't really a regional price coup.

Please let me know if I'm overlooking some other top-of-the-range regional priced games we are getting because of this switch.
And the former was planned to be released on GOG from the early stages of the Kickstarter campaign, too, so it doesn't count either. (Update#4 in 2012)

Edit: found the article about the twitter picture messages between GOG and Obsidian, it is charming and funny, and a reminder of the good old times :)
Post edited November 27, 2014 by ramiera
Indeed one of the thing that hurt the customers is the fact that they are often lied to. GOG pushing to have flat price is one of the lie, as stated many times. At least not as they have told us.
Also, there are publisher/developers that has flat price on their own site and regional one on GOG. That should be a good example.

And I think that posting this once in a while it's a good idea, as GOG left some mocking pr material done to gain popolarity that still can be uses to show what GOG has become.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
MIK0: And I think that posting this once in a while it's a good idea, as GOG left some mocking pr material done to gain popolarity that still can be uses to show what GOG has become.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
This link is also a nice indicator of how things changed. Not only GeoIP seems to be perfectly fine right now, but they even want to ban using VPNs/proxies in the new TOS :)
Matruchus: several developer's have stated in gog forum
IAmSinistar: I believe this bears emphasising as well. Some developers have been surprised by the backlash their regional priced releases received on the forum, almost as though there was no real discussion about it with GOG before the release. Some of them just said the equivalent of "we regionally priced it here because that's how it's done everywhere". So they aren't even educated that there is a scheme apart from regional pricing, and it seems GOG didn't feel inclined to provide that education.
Is there any incontestable proof for this? If so, I would have to reconsider my support of GOG right now...
high rated
PaterAlf: *snip*
+1

We get regional pricing but no AAA titles and to be honest: Do we want most of them anyway? Let's say GOG had an agreement with UbiSoft to release their new games. Without proper quality control we could have seen such disasters like Assassin's Creed Unity and I highly doubt GOG would have said to UbiSoft: "Sorry, we can't release the game with so many bugs and performance issues". It wouldn't happen. They'd release it like any other store simply because it's a big title.

Disney is here. Without regional pricing.

Dozens of indie games are here. With regional pricing.

Witcher 3 will come. With regional pricing. I mean why wouldn't you sign another contract with Namco after they screwed you over with Witcher 2...what a brilliant idea.

The Witcher Adventure Game will come. With regional pricing. Without any reason. Thanks!

In your new "User Agreement" you ask us to not exploit this with VPN because "that's not cool". Guess what's not cool. Don't judge my financial status by looking at my location.
I don't trust you any longer and as of now I see no reason why I should do it again. I'm backing up my whole GOG library just to be safe.

What the fuck, GOG?
Since JudasIscariot's job is to sugar coat all this bs from his collegues, I'm happy it's not my job right now.