It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RWarehall: What it comes down to, is some people are not satisfied unless it is perfect for them.

For example, with the mystery boxes, people kept complaining it was random, but the truth was closer to "I wanted game X which was at the best discount. GoG sucks because they didn't offer me exactly what I consider the best deal in the sale."

The same with the game bundles, whether they be weekend sales or part of a bigger one. When Nordic was going away and they had a 90% off if you buy everything bundle. People complained because they somehow felt they should have a right to piecemeal it. The only reason they offered it at 90% was because it was a large bundle. If GoG would have offered it piecemeal, it would NOT have been 90% off. Period.

Just like this sale. If it were not random. Many of these games would not be sold for $3. So take away the randomness, then you can take away half the games on offer in the pinata part of the sale. But people want to complain about it as if they should have some automatic right to $30 and $40 games for $3. Change the sale, those games are not offered.

It not to say there are not some legitimate complaints about the pinatas. The whole Sword of the Stars debacle for those with all the parts. The extremely limited quantities of a few titles and the fact they cannot warn you ahead of purchase that you are going to receive a gift because you own everything available. These are all very valid issues.

But complaining because you can't take the randomness away is not a valid complaint, because then GoG would also have to take away the possibility you might get something a little more special. Complaining that GoG should check your Steam profile first is rather silly too as they are competitors. Complaining because one of the games was offered with a bigger discount in the past, again, that's almost every weekend sale too. So what? You should have bought it then. The whole concept of the pinatas is some wins are better than others. They are all good discounts, its just that some of them have been slightly better in the past, but for a very limited time. And if every item were guaranteed to be "the best deal ever offered", guess what, expect fewer of the premium games in the offer.

Its not like all the forum goers don't know the sale is going to be tracked. It's not like you cannot make an informed decision. And for all the people complaining about games offered cheaper on Steam, guess what? It's the truth across the board. You can go to "Isthereanydeal" or whatever it is and look it up. I don't recall ever seeing the best deal on GoG in history ever being lower than the best deal ever on Steam for any game. Those are just the facts. So what. There are other reasons people prefer GoG, but most of us realize buying games here will cost more than Steam, so its not a fair comparison.
what you say it's true... I got Dreamfall Chapters on Insomnia sale and it was 13€ (with 3 € back for fair price), not $3.
but I know that I loved Insomnia sale, it was actually really fun.
I really don't like this pinata sale because I don't like to pay for a lottery (I actually don't care about the price).
Also, there are really few games in this sale. I really hope we can get another Insomnia sale.
LiefLayer: what you say it's true... I got Dreamfall Chapters on Insomnia sale and it was 13€ (with 3 € back for fair price), not $3.
but I know that I loved Insomnia sale, it was actually really fun.
I really don't like this pinata sale because I don't like to pay for a lottery (I actually don't care about the price).
Also, there are really few games in this sale. I really hope we can get another Insomnia sale.
I agree, I like the Insomnia type sale as well. Especially since GoG seems to be able to offer better discounts when a sale is time-limited. And I get that this sale doesn't work for some people (just like insomnia doesn't work for some). I understand that it makes no sense for someone to take a 1 in 7 chance to get the only game they want in this one. And this is worse for Linux or Mac users where they arguably can't even play some of the games.

What I don't get are the people who are saying "I got a game for $3 that I could've got on Humble for $2" or "I got a game that was on sale for $2.50 in the past so this sucks" while then going on how they really wanted to get game X which had previous only gone on sale for $7...because that is part of how that $20/$7 game is being offered for $3.
To me, trying to grab people's money without even letting them know what they're getting in return is a terrible practice that should not be encouraged in any way. Kind of like preorders, but at least there you have a (very) vague idea of what you're getting into.
I'm surprised so many people are defending it.
Navagon: I wish there was a way to stop GOG from forcing us to buy these things.
Lappro: Yea GOG just threatened to kill my family if I didn't buy a pinata, it was terrible!
GOG killed(trigger warning) mah bro, i must now avenge him with mah mad hacker and samurai skills.
hedwards: Insomnia was worse because they were giving away a tiny number of free games and the next time was definitely going to be the time you got it.
budejovice: I forget about the freebies. They were probably compelling to people who are easily compelled.

hedwards: I stand corrected, didn't the OP say that the game he got was only $2 at the present? It seemed odd to me, but having the minimum value the same as the pinata price seems a lot more reasonable.
budejovice: Yeah, OP was hyperbolic and technically wildly incorrect. I assume they didn't value the game highly themselves, but definitely was't the sticker price.
There was no hyperbole; when the game's title was revealed to me, I did a quick search and found the game being sold for $1.99 that very moment. The game, Volgarr the Suckling, was sold for $1.49 one week prior. Anyway, the value of the product only contributes to the overall disdain I have for the promotion. I tried it because I regularly purchase from this website, not because someone forced me to do it, or my sister couldn't earn $5 sucking that fuckhead TinyE's meager penis.
IronArcturus: Well I would counter that GOG is a business as well and they're doing just fine selling DRM-free games! I would much rather have my games not need any kind of mandatory client to make them work. I know with the GOG installers that the games will work 10 years in the future without needing access to the internet. The only thing needed would be a compatible OS.
Please tell me, from what perspective do you see they're doing fine? Market share? Profit gained?

Have you forgotten that your perspective might be very well different from theirs? They're business, they need room for growth. It's not about the principle (DRM free), it's about company's growth. What you think it's fine doesn't mean it's fine for them. If selling DRM free games ONLY without doing anything else is fine, there won't be Galaxy client. Why do you think they're pushing Galaxy so hard? DRM free games do NOT need any client, right, but why? Galaxy all over the place now.

Thus the need to do more than selling mere DRM free games without compromising the principles.

(well, they did throw one of their core principles to trash bin, anyway)
Post edited September 16, 2015 by zeroxxx
zeroxxx: Why do you think they're pushing Galaxy so hard? DRM free games do NOT need any client, right, but why? Galaxy all over the place now.

Thus the need to do more than selling mere DRM free games without compromising the principles.

(well, they did throw one of their core principles to trash bin, anyway)
Honestly, I wish GOG wouldn't push Galaxy so much. It's pretty much thrown in every GOGer's face when they view their game library. The software itself is still pretty buggy as well.

But I still hope GOG will remain DRM-free since that is their founding philosophy.
Post edited September 16, 2015 by IronArcturus
zeroxxx: snip
It should be very obvious why they are bringing in Galaxy and there are two main reasons...
1) Multiplayer platform to bring in more of those types of games...a hub to help players to connect to each other for these games. Especially if it allows games to connect GoG players to Steam players...
2) Attract games from developers who are committed to "achievements" and/or leaderboards. Many publishers are avoiding GoG because they feel their games wouldn't be the same without them.

In both cases it helps them acquire more games from reluctant developers.
zeroxxx: snip
RWarehall: It should be very obvious why they are bringing in Galaxy and there are two main reasons...
1) Multiplayer platform to bring in more of those types of games...a hub to help players to connect to each other for these games. Especially if it allows games to connect GoG players to Steam players...
2) Attract games from developers who are committed to "achievements" and/or leaderboards. Many publishers are avoiding GoG because they feel their games wouldn't be the same without them.

In both cases it helps them acquire more games from reluctant developers.
The main reason may be giving devs the possibility to get updates rolling instead of packaged offline installers. :/
Post edited September 16, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Personally, the only thing I don't like about this pinata sale is that there's a chance I'll get something I positively will never play (horror games are a good example - I can't stand them but the topic is quite popular among indie devs, so there's a good change I'd get a horror game).
I suppose a good solution would be if they gave out gift codes (like they do if you get something you already own the game) even if you don't own the game you got - in that case, I could just give it to someone who will appreciate the given game.
i don't like most indie games. period.