It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I played on the Amiga 500, games such as Elite, Heimdall, Hired Guns, Ishar2, eye of the beholder, Gods etc..

Still have a few old systems C64, Amiga500, Amiga1200, Apple ][e, IBM turnkey [that's what I call it as it need a key to start it]

MY sister who died at 16 [1990] left behind Spectrum48, C16, C128, and another spectrum, had a built in Cassette player [can't think of the name]

Yes I'm Old :(

All the best
Post edited December 16, 2015 by Cavenagh
What was the cost of PCs in the states during the 90s. Over in the UK they cost a ridiculous price(£1000-£2000) until they started falling at the start of the 2000s.

ScotchMonkey: Before the internet, remember shelling out like 9 -12 bucks for a magazine that had a demo disc in it?

The shit we had to do.
Now you can shell out 9-12 bucks and get a magazine without any discs written by mongs.
The mag discs here were good because they had a load of other stuff sometimes including older versions of full programs.
Post edited December 16, 2015 by Spectre
ScotchMonkey: Before the internet, remember shelling out like 9 -12 bucks for a magazine that had a demo disc in it?

The shit we had to do.
Spectre: Now you can shell out 9-12 bucks and get a magazine without any discs written by mongs.
The mag discs here were good because they had a load of other stuff sometimes including older versions of full programs.
Well now we can cut out the middle mong and get the press releases directly.

BTW I really miss shareware games.
What I remember from 90s is configuring CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to play demanding game.

Load all TSR programs in high memory to free up conventional memory. Or creating a special boot disk just to play the game.
Setting IRQ's, creating boot floppies, getting as much memory free as possible (of the 640K) .. 617k was pretty darn good. Finding a tiny small mouse driver and loading it in high memory, editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys and so on. That was for dos .. If you were working with early versions of windows, you got to edit system.ini, win.ini and the others. I only used the Dos menu system for a while and eventually changed over to Direct Access and then to Easy Menu. I got both from the GOCTG. Just added the T for trading. lol.

Still got couple DOS magazines if anyone needs a brush up? ;-)

Cavenagh: I played on the Amiga 500, games such as Elite, Heimdall, Hired Guns, Ishar2, eye of the beholder, Gods etc..

Still have a few old systems C64, Amiga500, Amiga1200, Apple ][e, IBM turnkey [that's what I call it as it need a key to start it]

MY sister who died at 16 [1990] left behind Spectrum48, C16, C128, and another spectrum, had a built in Cassette player [can't think of the name]

All the best
A co-worker / friend of mine loved / loves all the Amiga stuff and still talks about them today. We just purchased an Amiga software package for him. It is the Amiga emulator, games, software, roms and etc for the PC. We think he'll like it, but if he doesn't we ain't out much. :)
Post edited December 16, 2015 by NoAGood
joshuant: What I remember from 90s is configuring CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to play demanding game.

Load all TSR programs in high memory to free up conventional memory. Or creating a special boot disk just to play the game.
haha oh my god. i rmmber doing tons of this trying to run a game.

and also MEMMAKER.exe

xD
Cavenagh: I played on the Amiga 500, games such as Elite, Heimdall, Hired Guns, Ishar2, eye of the beholder, Gods etc..

All the best
I think that was the Sinclair Spectrum +2 which had a built in cassette player. It was modeled on the same design as the Amstrad, as The Most Holy Lord Sugar had taken over Sinclair by then.
The problem with built in or custom cassette players like the new spectrum or C64 was they were a total pain in the ass if something went wrong with them while the older Spectrums could use a normal player with a line out.
One thing that I'm super glad is dead and buried, is the use of those infernal 3.5 inch disks. Those things were super unreliable!
Attachments:
drive.jpg (35 Kb)
Matewis: One thing that I'm super glad is dead and buried, is the use of those infernal 3.5 inch disks. Those things were super unreliable!
i actually love those compared to 5¼ inch.. longer life span, tougher build and protection.
When i got it the first time, used to play with the drive all the time.. in,out,in,out,in... xD
Matewis: One thing that I'm super glad is dead and buried, is the use of those infernal 3.5 inch disks. Those things were super unreliable!
mikopotato: i actually love those compared to 5¼ inch.. longer life span, tougher build and protection.
When i got it the first time, used to play with the drive all the time.. in,out,in,out,in... xD
Is technophilia a thing now? :D
Some people will have a lot of fun with the rapidly improving androids made in Japan atm I guess.
Post edited December 18, 2015 by Klumpen0815
mikopotato: i actually love those compared to 5¼ inch.. longer life span, tougher build and protection.
Klumpen0815: Is technophilia a thing now? :D
Some people will have a lot of fun with the rapidly improving androids made in Japan atm I guess.
What?? NO!
Had to google that and it is a company name.
No idea what you talking about.. moving on...
mikopotato: No idea what you talking about.. moving on...
;D

The shit we had to do.
You could get them for about $3.50 a month if you filled out one of those damn cards that kept falling out of the magazine. You apparently kept paying pr0n mag rates.
They were more reliable for storage than the CD-ROM discs that AOL started distributing after people were finding the 3.5 in discs were being reused for better purposes. :)
joshuant: What I remember from 90s is configuring CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to play demanding game.

When DOS 6 came along, you could actually have a menu in your BAT file to allow it to determine what to load or not. Yes, loading things, loading others in high memory, etc. what a pain.

BTW, I didn't know that later versions of DOS supported dynamically linked libraries. What a game changer come Windows 3.1. :)
Post edited December 18, 2015 by JDelekto
Fuck that, remember Zip Disks?
Attachments:
zip_drive_100 (126 Kb)