It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Now you’ll be able to see far ahead and feel more secure even on the hostile planet. A new update for No Man’s Sky brings powerful Exo Mech machines to your disposal. The release of this update gives us the opportunity to add a 50% discount on the No Man’s Sky base game lasting until 13th April, 1 PM UTC.
falloutttt: Oh, I'm not all that tech-savvy friend. I tend to simplify everything.

I use windows 8.1
B1tF1ghter: I suggest you don't upgrade to Windows 10 (preferably never) unless you absolutely have to (dx 12 is absolutely not worth it, this system is the worst of it's kind ever made, especially on technical side, even thou normal users tend to not see nor understand that).
For me Windows ended at 7 and it was the best one ever made on technical side.

falloutttt: I don't really need a super-computer, since I mostly play strategy games.
B1tF1ghter: I understand.
Although 2 things:
1.That's a perfect irony as these tend to be computation heavy and some of them allow to eat up almost anything cpu wise and some of them are pretty good as cpu benchmarks :P
2.In the future things will only really use more threads so you will need more of them someday (like literaly older AMD cpus that have a lot of cores may in the future be better for gaming than most current competition) - I suggest AMD when you someday upgrade (well competition is and will be security flawed to impossible levels so if you ever need "more cores" for anything other than gaming then you will surely want to avoid loosing that performance because of security flaws).

falloutttt: Probably would be better to upgrade from 8GB to 16, but I'm too lazy for that. haha
B1tF1ghter: Yeah, well, maybe put some good models up your wishlist and "gently" present them to your gift making candidates haha /s :P
Yeah, I absolutely agree. I have no intention to install/upgrade to Windows 10. I've heard many bad things related to it.

I love AMD, I used to have a great PC with AMD CPU and GPU, as I remember, and it was running everything really well, and worked fine for many years.

The reason I got this one, it was on a very good sale, compared to everything else, and so I picked it up. I don't regret it tho. It's a fine PC. But still, my older one was such a great machine.

As for RAM upgrade, I don't think it's worth it at this point. I think it's time to simply buy a new PC soon, rather than upgrading this one in any way. It's getting old. I had it for 4-5 years now. It's time for a new one, probably for Christmas. There's always good deals around that time.

Thank you for the advise, tho. Appreciate it! :)
Post edited April 09, 2020 by Onox
falloutttt: There was a 14 MB bugfix.
LifeLover: Dev Team if you read this post - I want to say - Do more optimization for No Mans Sky. My PC isn't The Best (FX 8350 + 16 Gb DDR3 1866 + GTX 960 4 Gb + SSD), but even with such configuration I can't play game on Medium settings!!! That's serious problem, because I understand that not all gamers have 2000$ PCs! I bought No Mans Sky about 3 months ago, but because of lack of FPS and gameplay issues I refunded game (it's a pity)...
falloutttt: Hi,

No one lives forever indeed.

I have quite an old PC, compared to yours, and the game runs fine on high settings. Always has since release of the game to this day.

Maybe you need to update your drivers, maybe something else, but I think the problem is on your end friend.
Maybe, but I don't think so. Main argument, that this game have bad optimization - almost all other games that I have at GOG and Steam works good (even those that have specs higher than my PC for optimal gameplay!!!). After some time of playing this "Game" I make a couple of videos about bugs / glitches / another defects and send report to Devs but no reaction from them - so if they don't want / can repair their game - I don't want to play it, everything is fair!
LifeLover: Dev Team if you read this post - I want to say - Do more optimization for No Mans Sky. My PC isn't The Best (FX 8350 + 16 Gb DDR3 1866 + GTX 960 4 Gb + SSD), but even with such configuration I can't play game on Medium settings!!! That's serious problem, because I understand that not all gamers have 2000$ PCs! I bought No Mans Sky about 3 months ago, but because of lack of FPS and gameplay issues I refunded game (it's a pity)...
I play NMS just fine on a machine over 5 years old with only a GTX 760 (and I don't even have a SSD in it). Not sure what's going on with your setup that won't allow Medium or better. Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? I found I did have to update my graphics drivers after one of the more recent NMS updates.
Luned: I play NMS just fine on a machine over 5 years old with only a GTX 760 (and I don't even have a SSD in it). Not sure what's going on with your setup that won't allow Medium or better. Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? I found I did have to update my graphics drivers after one of the more recent NMS updates.
Game even didn't want to launch on my PC without drivers update, so I have updated Videocard drivers, update C++, Net framework, DirectX, some other soft, but none of this made my game comfort... :((
LifeLover: Maybe, but I don't think so. Main argument, that this game have bad optimization - almost all other games that I have at GOG and Steam works good (even those that have specs higher than my PC for optimal gameplay!!!). After some time of playing this "Game" I make a couple of videos about bugs / glitches / another defects and send report to Devs but no reaction from them - so if they don't want / can repair their game - I don't want to play it, everything is fair!
I have pretty much the exact same specs as you, less the SSD. While No Man's Sky has never performed great, it's always been playable. It actually improved quite a bit performance-wise for me since the Vulkan update. I'd really suspect an issue with your video drivers. Do any of your other games use Vulkan and work properly?

The game defenitely could be better optimized and still has a large amount of bugs that are just ignored to add new content, but I suspect another issue is the problem if the game is unplayable on that rig.
Attachments:
specs.jpg (419 Kb)
Weird - I was able to get this thing running pretty smooth on an i5 clocked at like 2.8 I think? Forget the actual chip number. And using a 760. This was at 1080P though and on a ~23 inch monitor I think?

I've since upgraded but I'm surprised you had issues. I even ran it was less RAM than you.
Ixamyakxim: Weird - I was able to get this thing running pretty smooth on an i5 clocked at like 2.8 I think? Forget the actual chip number. And using a 760. This was at 1080P though and on a ~23 inch monitor I think?

I've since upgraded but I'm surprised you had issues. I even ran it was less RAM than you.
I dunno know, I see only one reason of poor performance in this game - my PC fight with No Man's Sky like a Virus (PC VS Virus, and hm... Antivirus), that's it (ツ).
LifeLover: Maybe, but I don't think so. Main argument, that this game have bad optimization - almost all other games that I have at GOG and Steam works good (even those that have specs higher than my PC for optimal gameplay!!!). After some time of playing this "Game" I make a couple of videos about bugs / glitches / another defects and send report to Devs but no reaction from them - so if they don't want / can repair their game - I don't want to play it, everything is fair!
MikeMaximus: I have pretty much the exact same specs as you, less the SSD. While No Man's Sky has never performed great, it's always been playable. It actually improved quite a bit performance-wise for me since the Vulkan update. I'd really suspect an issue with your video drivers. Do any of your other games use Vulkan and work properly?

The game defenitely could be better optimized and still has a large amount of bugs that are just ignored to add new content, but I suspect another issue is the problem if the game is unplayable on that rig.
About "The game defenitely could be better optimized and still has a large amount of bugs that are just ignored" - completely agree with you. That's a shame when Devs made good concept, semi-interesting gameplay, combine all with perfect music, BUT forgot about optimization and fixing annoing bugs / or even started to create new ones (sick)!
Post edited April 09, 2020 by LifeLover
Ixamyakxim: on a ~23 inch monitor I think?
Size doesn't matter :P /s

LifeLover:
Actually there is one thing A LOT (well MOST) people overlook and that would be antivirus.
When I still used windows I have used and tested a pletora of antivirus software and quite frankly all of them were $hit in terms of overhead. I personally used AVG, Avast, McAfee (back in the day when it was SLOW AS F*CK), Comodo, Bitdefender (for a long time), and probably some other stuff I don't remember. On not mine hardware I dealt with all of those plus ESET, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Avira and other stuff.
All of them are really bad if you don't change default settings but people don't seem to realise that.
If you leave settings at default sooner or later you will drive into the kind of wall that will make you rage.

Do you want to deadlock your computer? Well then don't create on access scanning exclusion for World of Tanks diretory and (World of Tanks related) archive formats while running Bitdefender ;) (true story, I know because I learned the hard way)
Comodo used to throw at me left right and center all the time false positives even about very simple C++ programs.
Avast is generally known to be crap.
McAfee AT THIS POINT is the general story of "oh you didn't know I got preinstalled on your windows laptop? Well then let me take your precious resources" and it's not good at all anyway.
Kaspersky throws very BS false positives about legitimate software while neglecting some actual bad code. It also does a lot of "suspicious stuff" and generally it is not safe.

You know I had a lot of experience with all kinds of BS (I actually tend to break software even if I'm not trying, even software that is considered stable and patched for years, I just find bugs out of the blue) and at this point if somebody would ask me what is good av software for windows I would probably respond with NONE.
It really is that if somebody absolutely has to use windows for whatever reason and they need av software then they should use completely other methods opposing what is advertised and recommended and they should completely refactor their threat models and responses to it.

I'm sorry for this lenghty off branch of this conversation.

My point is that if you use ANY av software (that includes windows built in too) then you should manually add on access scanning exclusions for all your game directories, some file formats related to those and a bunch of other stuff. When I used Bitdefender I had probably more than 20 of those (out of which I did not pick each game folders just one collective folder for all of them so yeah I had these for other stuff too). If you don't it is gonna make your life hard.
And you know - if you have problems with some game it very well maybe a case of exactly problems with av slowing you down while scanning unnecesary stuff ;)
LifeLover:
B1tF1ghter: Actually there is one thing A LOT (well MOST) people overlook and that would be antivirus.
When I still used windows I have used and tested a pletora of antivirus software and quite frankly all of them were $hit in terms of overhead. I personally used AVG, Avast, McAfee (back in the day when it was SLOW AS F*CK), Comodo, Bitdefender (for a long time), and probably some other stuff I don't remember. On not mine hardware I dealt with all of those plus ESET, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Avira and other stuff.
All of them are really bad if you don't change default settings but people don't seem to realise that.
If you leave settings at default sooner or later you will drive into the kind of wall that will make you rage.

Do you want to deadlock your computer? Well then don't create on access scanning exclusion for World of Tanks diretory and (World of Tanks related) archive formats while running Bitdefender ;) (true story, I know because I learned the hard way)
Comodo used to throw at me left right and center all the time false positives even about very simple C++ programs.
Avast is generally known to be crap.
McAfee AT THIS POINT is the general story of "oh you didn't know I got preinstalled on your windows laptop? Well then let me take your precious resources" and it's not good at all anyway.
Kaspersky throws very BS false positives about legitimate software while neglecting some actual bad code. It also does a lot of "suspicious stuff" and generally it is not safe.

You know I had a lot of experience with all kinds of BS (I actually tend to break software even if I'm not trying, even software that is considered stable and patched for years, I just find bugs out of the blue) and at this point if somebody would ask me what is good av software for windows I would probably respond with NONE.
It really is that if somebody absolutely has to use windows for whatever reason and they need av software then they should use completely other methods opposing what is advertised and recommended and they should completely refactor their threat models and responses to it.

I'm sorry for this lenghty off branch of this conversation.

My point is that if you use ANY av software (that includes windows built in too) then you should manually add on access scanning exclusions for all your game directories, some file formats related to those and a bunch of other stuff. When I used Bitdefender I had probably more than 20 of those (out of which I did not pick each game folders just one collective folder for all of them so yeah I had these for other stuff too). If you don't it is gonna make your life hard.
And you know - if you have problems with some game it very well maybe a case of exactly problems with av slowing you down while scanning unnecesary stuff ;)
@B1tF1ghter, such many information about Antivirus software, from my side, that was only joke about NMS and Virus :)
Post edited April 10, 2020 by LifeLover
timppu: It just pains me that the first few user reviews you see on the GOG game page are from 2016, complaining about the early version of the game. Too bad. It appears this game has really come a long way since then.
It appears? You mean you haven't played it yet you are suggesting other people should buy it?

But it sounds like it is an okay game now if you like grinding.
I finally took some time to catch up with some stuff (as this electricity).

That bases now require the electricity separately build feels a bit deliberate but can add some fluff ("and here you see the generator room..."). That you need wiring adds some realism but is annoying; especially on cavern bases (more light, more cables). That wiring adds to the construction limit and the very same formerly smoothly perfectly working base is now a cluttered mess, half of it unpowered for the lack of more wires, is vicious. :/

NMS need some serious de-cluttering for the bases; not more of it. Remove wires, make light-sources strong enough that a single light can completely lighten up a normal sized room; removing the need to add so many. *sigh*

And nerfing stuff to make the new stuff shine more does not make the new stuff more interesting (extreme conditions and exocraft).

Its great that HG continues to work at the game and a mech looks like an awesome idea and addition; I can only hope that they take a closer look at some of the problems and fix them instead of piling new stuff that makes said problems even worse.
Thats may be last update for NMS, no info froms devs for long time...