It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ElKiZen: Yeah, I would totally love it if I could play DRM-Free games on a PC that had the security/privacy of Linux with the functionality of Windows. I'm always stuck in between. You wouldn't believe how much I flip-flopped between Windows and Linux in the past week alone, before finally settling with the one PC for Windows gaming and the other PC for Linux web browsing route. It's funny when I think about it, because when I was a kid, I used to keep a DOS-only 486 PC for exclusive DOS-gaming and a Pentium II for exclusive Windows gaming (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II was eternally installed on there). The whole thing about control has me rethinking everything about technology including phones. I'm starting to really hate Apple and I ditched Android and anything Google a long time ago. I'm not sure if I'll go the De-Googled phone route or just grab a Linux phone somewhere down the line.
The more things change the more they stay the same. I was thinking of installing Linux on a virtual machine on a Windows host and using that for all my web surfing and having next to nothing on the Windows PC apart from a firewall and antivirus. Not even a web browser. What do you think? Good idea?
Magmarock: The more things change the more they stay the same. I was thinking of installing Linux on a virtual machine on a Windows host and using that for all my web surfing and having next to nothing on the Windows PC apart from a firewall and antivirus. Not even a web browser. What do you think? Good idea?
In theory there's nothing wrong with it, and it may work. I'm not sure.
low rated
ElKiZen: Yeah, I would totally love it if I could play DRM-Free games on a PC that had the security/privacy of Linux with the functionality of Windows. I'm always stuck in between. You wouldn't believe how much I flip-flopped between Windows and Linux in the past week alone, before finally settling with the one PC for Windows gaming and the other PC for Linux web browsing route. It's funny when I think about it, because when I was a kid, I used to keep a DOS-only 486 PC for exclusive DOS-gaming and a Pentium II for exclusive Windows gaming (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II was eternally installed on there). The whole thing about control has me rethinking everything about technology including phones. I'm starting to really hate Apple and I ditched Android and anything Google a long time ago. I'm not sure if I'll go the De-Googled phone route or just grab a Linux phone somewhere down the line.
Magmarock: The more things change the more they stay the same. I was thinking of installing Linux on a virtual machine on a Windows host and using that for all my web surfing and having next to nothing on the Windows PC apart from a firewall and antivirus. Not even a web browser. What do you think? Good idea?
no , why would it be a good idea?:O
Magmarock: From time to time I decide to give desktop Linux another try. It’s differently gotten a lot better over the years but I still think it is perhaps the worst choice of platform for gaming. desktop Linux of course, refers to Linux ditsros made for the desktop such as Ubuntu, Debian and anything based on them.

When it comes to turning your PC into an internet machine you really can’t get anything better than Ubtuntu or POP OS. Just about any distribution with the gnome interface is going to do a good job. It is so fast and easy to get a Linux machine ready for the internet. The amount of time it takes me to get Windows setup to how I like it can be up to 2 hours. With Ubuntu it’s about 5 minutes.

Linux loves the internet and networking. What it doesn’t like, is being offline and running closed source software. It’s almost the opposite for Windows. Remember Windows XP? Remember how it would slow down after a while. Have you ever used a Windows machine offline for an extended period of time. When kept offline Windows works about as well as Linux online. This is why my main gaming rig is an offline Windows machine. It stays fast and reliable.

Over time Windows has gotten worse while Linux has gotten better, but I still wouldn’t want to use it as a gaming platform. At this point if Windows gets to a point where I am no longer willing to use it I’d probably just go back to consoles, and use Linux for internet.
Well, it makes sense that games designed to run on Windows tend to work on said OS.
Ten years ago or so I dabbled with various distro's of Linux in the hope it would run certain win98 games that didn't on than current windows, it turned out to be a waste of time.

Valve/Steam are currently working on improving SteamOS to support more games with their upcoming Steamdeck, so maybe then things will really improve.
Magmarock: Linux loves the internet and networking. What it doesn’t like, is being offline and running closed source software.
I wonder, why are you thinking that?
My Linux netbook (Samsung N308) never complained about lack of internet connection despite it being offline 99.9% of the time (I use it for presentations on-the-go).
Also, none of my PCs ever warned me about perils of using closed-source software. Skype? Zoom? No problem! GOG games (all of which are closed-source) -- any day of the week! nVidia drivers? Sure thing!
Magmarock: It’s almost the opposite for Windows.
Interesting! So, a mandatory Microsoft account for Windows 11 installation has been removed, yes? Or mandatory updates?
Magmarock: Remember Windows XP?
Yes. Fondly. It went downhill from there on, and pretty fast.
Magmarock: Remember how it would slow down after a while.
As far as my students' notebooks are concerned (all running Windows 8-10), nothing has changed. :) Death of a Windows installation is a matter of death of its registry caused by multiple edits (mainly by installing/uninstalling software). It has been so, it is so, and it will be so. Forever. It is a design flaw (or "feature").
Magmarock: Have you ever used a Windows machine offline for an extended period of time. When kept offline Windows works about as well as Linux online. This is why my main gaming rig is an offline Windows machine. It stays fast and reliable.
Yes I had. It is fast if it is "fresh". Software installations/usage trashes Windows, so if it was up to me to manage a Windows install, I'd rather install all the software in one bulk under admin account, make a snapshot and then forget this account exists and start using only "limited user" account from there on. And after it gets trashed, just delete it and create a new one.
Obviously, this trick is insanely hard to pull off for any "average Windows user" (half of whom are using admin accounts daily), so a Windows install invariably gets trashed over time. It is a question of "when", not "if".
Magmarock: Over time Windows has gotten worse while Linux has gotten better, but I still wouldn’t want to use it as a gaming platform.
That's your call. No one forces you.
Magmarock: At this point if Windows gets to a point where I am no longer willing to use it I’d probably just go back to consoles, and use Linux for internet.
No, you won't. And you know that. Consoles can not be used for productivity or content creation. They are only for "consuming". For anything constructive you have to use a proper PC. Consoles/Tablets/Smartphones just won't cut it.
Post edited September 19, 2021 by Alm888
joelandsonja: I bought the Pine Phone when it was first released, but sadly it still has a LONG way to go before it's a daily driver. I ended up selling it to someone on the UBports forum, but I might pick one up again if they make more progress on the OS.
Well, at this point in my life I'd be fine with a non-Apple and non-Android phone that can just give and take calls/texts. I could care less about apps and other features. I want simplicity, functionality and security.

I've done that before. I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad idea.
low rated
joelandsonja: I bought the Pine Phone when it was first released, but sadly it still has a LONG way to go before it's a daily driver. I ended up selling it to someone on the UBports forum, but I might pick one up again if they make more progress on the OS.
ElKiZen: Well, at this point in my life I'd be fine with a non-Apple and non-Android phone that can just give and take calls/texts. I could care less about apps and other features. I want simplicity, functionality and security.

ElKiZen: I've done that before. I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad idea.
then buy grandma phone
ElKiZen: Well, at this point in my life I'd be fine with a non-Apple and non-Android phone that can just give and take calls/texts. I could care less about apps and other features. I want simplicity, functionality and security.

ElKiZen: I've done that before. I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad idea.
You should check out the degoogled phones that Rob Braxman sells.

https://brax.me/prod/host.php?f=_store&h=rob&p=&version=

I'll probably pick one of these up sometime in the next few months.
low rated

I've done that before. I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad idea.
joelandsonja: You should check out the degoogled phones that Rob Braxman sells.

isnt that just a different os phone?:O
joelandsonja: You should check out the degoogled phones that Rob Braxman sells.

Orkhepaj: isnt that just a different os phone?:O
He sells mostly degoogled Android phones, but also some Linux.
low rated
Orkhepaj: isnt that just a different os phone?:O
joelandsonja: He sells mostly degoogled Android phones, but also some Linux.
i meant it is normal phone just lineageos installed on it
and everyone can make that
Post edited September 19, 2021 by Orkhepaj
That was my plan. Couldn't get the Linux OS (Lubuntu) inside the virtual machine (VirtualBox) to output audio properly. That was when I just gave up (no I'm not a noob I've used VMs before).
joelandsonja: He sells mostly degoogled Android phones, but also some Linux.
Orkhepaj: i meant it is normal phone just lineageos installed on it
Not everyone has the skills to install Linux on a phone. It's not as straight forward as you think.
joelandsonja: Not everyone has the skills to install Linux on a phone. It's not as straight forward as you think.
If you add busybox, it's basically linux. If you can root the phone then that's another matter doing more, but a terminal and busybox will do a lot.

Though depends on what you want to do with it. You'd probably want other applications beyond the bare minimum.
low rated
Orkhepaj: i meant it is normal phone just lineageos installed on it
joelandsonja: Not everyone has the skills to install Linux on a phone. It's not as straight forward as you think.
why not ? everything is written down how to do it step by step