It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AB2012: Games should be individually marked DRM-Free (like Humble) or at least have visible offline downloaders (itch.io)
Some games on itch.io require online activation. That is mentioned in the game description, but you can't blindly purchase games from there.
Anybody got a list of which games sold here have 18+ patches?
kbnrylaec: If we follow the most strict definition here, there will be only 2 stores left on the list.
I think that is not what everybody want.

Steam is quite evil, but I believe that it sell much more DRM-free games than GOG.
Steam doesnt sell drm free games, some run without the client but you still dont get the installer.
.Ra: Steam doesnt sell drm free games, some run without the client but you still dont get the installer.
Technically for DOSBox'd games you don't need an installer. Just zip them up and archive them. But you still can't get them without the client...
kbnrylaec: An GOG staff claimed that GOG was the only DRM-free digital distributor for PC games.
No, it is not.

Game stores with multiple categories:
Crytivo
- You get a steam key as well as an DRM-free copy of the game on the site.

DLGamer

Epic Games
- Please append the option -EpicPortal to executables or make shortcuts

FIREFLOWER GAMES
- Exclusively DRM-free, and carries quite a few titles that are not sold at GOG.

Game Jolt

Gamebillet
- You can select and view DRM-free category.

Gamesrocket
- You can select and view DRM-free category.

GOG
- I have over 1000 games here.
- In the past, 99% of my digital downloaded legal games were GOG version.

Humble Bundle
- Some DRM-free games here have more updated version than GOG version.
- That is, some developers love Humble Bundle more.
- (Well, some GOG games have more updated version than Humble Bundle version.)

itch.io
- Many games here are time-limit 100% off, you can grab them totally free.

PLAYISM

Steam
- No, I am not joking. Steam do have many DRM-free games.
- Once you downloaded those true DRM-free games, you can backup them as you like, and run the game everywhere without Steam client installed. [1]

Virtual Software
- Has a handful of DRM-free games, they used to have all the Softdisk games like Rescue Rover, Hovertank 3D, and Keen Dreams.

WinGameStore

ZODIAC

Zoom Platform
- Exclusively DRM-free, and carries quite a few titles that are not sold at GOG.

Game stores focused on visual novels or NSFW games:
- Denpasoft
- FAKKU!
- JAST USA
- MangaGamer

Developers that have their own store AND do sell DRM-free games:
- 3D Realms
- Arcen Games
- Caravel Games
- dgray (also sell The Hugo Trilogy and The Nitemare-3D Trilogy)
- Enlight Games
- Knuckle Cracker [2]
- Soldak [2]
- Winter Wolves

Many developers use Humble Widget on their own site, which will not be listed in this section.

Wait for further confirmation:
- GamersGate users could download DRM-free installers with SirPrimalforms' old trick
- SQUARE ENIX gave an DRM-free Hitman.
- Uplay gave an DRM-free Rainbow Six.

[1] https://www.gog.com/forum/general/steam_games_you_can_play_without_the_steam_client
[2] use one-time key activation (not server based)
Many games marked as DRM-free on GamesRocket are fake DRM-free and they require a third-party account to activate.
Pillthen: Many games marked as DRM-free on GamesRocket are fake DRM-free and they require a third-party account to activate.
REMOVED, thank you.

And I just ADDED this:
indiegala
- indiegala freebies are usually DRM-free downloads.
Nice to have a list.

https://www.gamesload.eu/ also promises DRM-free (haven't tried it), but I can't figure out how to filter for it as the store sells both Steam keys and DRM-free games.
W3irdN3rd: Nice to have a list.

https://www.gamesload.eu/ also promises DRM-free (haven't tried it), but I can't figure out how to filter for it as the store sells both Steam keys and DRM-free games.
Gameload:
Installieren und aktivieren Sie Ihr Produkt online. Sie starten ohne CD oder DVD im Laufwerk. Minimieren Sie Ihren Kohlenstoff-Fußabdruck durch Entmaterialisierung.
Install and activate your product online. You will start without a CD or DVD in your drive. Minimize your carbon footprint through dematerialization.
OMFG... what a load of bullshit. Because all CDN servers run on purely green energy, right?
Regarding gamesload.eu

3. ORDER

An order confirmation will be sent to the e-mail you provided during registration as soon as your payment has been approved.

The order confirmation will contain all information about the purchased product, its price and the delivery time for products to be shipped in boxes.

You can access digital products that you have purchased by clicking on the download link that appears both on your payment confirmation page and later in the order confirmation. You have twenty-one (21) days to download your product, starting from the time you receive your order confirmation. After this 21-day period has expired, the download link is no longer effective and must be activated by our customer service, which you can reach through this contact form.

The invoice will be sent to the e-mail address provided during registration or can be downloaded immediately after ordering.

Nexway reserves the right to cancel or refuse a user's order if a payment incident has already been recorded for a previous order or if the information provided by the user is incorrect.

Unless proven otherwise by the user, all data registered with Nexway will be considered sufficient proof of the existence and content of his/ her order(s).
--------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah no thanks
Post edited January 02, 2020 by Dreaganos
kbnrylaec: Since GOG still keeps refusing to fix their super buggy website, I think this thread deserves a little bump.
Pardon? What do you mean? Which many super bugs on the website?
kbnrylaec: Since GOG still keeps refusing to fix their super buggy website, I think this thread deserves a little bump.
MFED: Pardon? What do you mean? Which many super bugs on the website?
GOG redesigned their website just before their 10 year anniversary.
The new design was totally broken, and MANY people already discussed it in many other threads.

GOG slowly fixed the website here and there.
It is not SUPER buggy now, but still have some several-years-old bugs.
For example, many games/DLCs I owned are not tagged as "owned" on their gamepage.
With the Downloader gone, this thread deserves another bump.
Just bumping this thread.
kbnrylaec: Virtual Software
- Has a handful of DRM-free games, they used to have all the Softdisk games like Rescue Rover, Hovertank 3D, and Keen Dreams.
Please remove Virtual Software from the list. They appear to have closed shop. :(

Managed to get Keen Dreams on Steam a while back. Does anyone know where you can legally get Rescue Rover and Hovertank 3D these days? I know it's on the old id Anthology discs but prices shot up after John Romero released his Sigil Doom expansion and haven't come back down yet.
Attachments:
kbnrylaec: Virtual Software
Snickersnack: Please remove Virtual Software from the list. They appear to have closed shop. :(

Managed to get Keen Dreams on Steam a while back. Does anyone know where you can legally get Rescue Rover and Hovertank 3D these days? I know it's on the old id Anthology discs but prices shot up after John Romero released his Sigil Doom expansion and haven't come back down yet.
The rights to Rescue Rover were picked up by Piko Interactive, Hovertank was purchased by an indie dev named Rene:
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?176424-Piko-Interactive-Now-quot-Owns-quot-Softdisk&s=e39f5a901d55e2204a0951df70b17dd6&p=2054764&viewfull=1#post2054764
As far as I can tell, none of them have started selling the games anywhere yet. Piko mentioned that they would like to bring the games to GOG in bundles, but it's hard to bring them (needs more votes I guess).
Post edited April 26, 2020 by SCPM