It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's celebrate GOG’s 13th anniversary with a special birthday party full of gaming deals, exciting releases, and collections of titles recommended by the members of our team!

Here are some details about the guests attending our anniversary party:

· Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (-10%) – a once-forgotten classic, now back on modern PCs, giving you a unique chance to experience the beginning of the Nosgoth saga once more!! Before playing, be sure to check out our article about the game.

· Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (-10%) and Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus (-10%) – this vintage scare combo of games from the cult horror series is coming back to give you chills of excitement.

· Over 100 cool gaming deals with discounts reaching 90%, all ready to help you get into the festive mood. Moreover, we have 13 game collections with engaging titles recommended by members of our team!

Don’t hesitate and make sure to join us in the celebration before GOG’s special Anniversary Party and all of its discounts end on 6th October 2021, at 1 PM UTC.
high rated
rjbuffchix: Happy anniversary.

To celebrate DRM-free gaming, [...]
HypersomniacLive: What makes you think that this is a DRM-free gaming celebration? GOG hasn't framed a sale as a DRM-free gaming one in years, and has even dropped the mention of DRM-free from announcements of upcoming/new releases since late November 2020; last time it was mentioned was in the Shenmue III release.
Holy hell that is sobering. I haven't seen anyone make that observation and, partially due to being unenthused about spending money here with the current state of things, never noticed in the release threads.

I assure I am not trying to "call out" anyone but since I see SmollestLight is in this topic, is there any way to find out or forward the question: what led to releases apparently not being announced as "DRM-free" anymore?

I don't like to say it but perhaps I misspoke in assuming the anniversary was to celebrate DRM-free gaming? To me, that is the brand association of GOG.com...DRM-free gaming...not Galaxy, not social media, et al.
TheEndedSkull: poem
Here's one 0-calorie e-beer for that. Cheers!
Krogan32: It's really sad that you have a multitude that ignored your request for them to stop spamming this thread with topic irrelevant Hitman talk when you clearly pointed them to the correct thread for that.
I know, it's terrible, you must feel really hysterical and fear-mongered!
GOG.com: Let's celebrate GOG’s 13th anniversary with a special birthday party full of gaming deals, exciting releases, and collections of titles recommended by the members of our team!

Here are some details about the guests attending our anniversary party:

· Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (-10%) – a once-forgotten classic, now back on modern PCs, giving you a unique chance to experience the beginning of the Nosgoth saga once more!! Before playing, be sure to check out our article about the game.

· Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (-10%) and Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus (-10%) – this vintage scare combo of games from the cult horror series is coming back to give you chills of excitement.

· Over 100 cool gaming deals with discounts reaching 90%, all ready to help you get into the festive mood. Moreover, we have 13 game collections with engaging titles recommended by members of our team!

Don’t hesitate and make sure to join us in the celebration before GOG’s special Anniversary Party and all of its discounts end on 6th October 2021, at 1 PM UTC.
Happy birthday GOG!!!!!!! :party guy:
high rated
Congrats on the Anniversary, GOG! Alas, I won't be able to celebrate with you despite LOVING the new releases (I mean, Blood Omen? Seriously?!). So congratulations again, and I look forward to the day I'll be able to buy more games here in good conscience.
SmollestLight: Thank you for all the happy anniversary wishes :)

As for the other discussion, please move the conversation about Hitman to the appropriate thread, or to private messages.
Scion458: The discussion surrounding the Hitman release is still relevant, because while GOG celebrates one anniversary, several customers can mention another. It is another year which GOG has sold, and continues to sell, several DRMed games on a supposedly DRM free platform. This happening so recently after a botched release isn't a cause for celebration.
I haven't been following GOG's releases all that closely for a while (real life stuff and all that) so I am a bit behind the curve here.

Besides Hitman, what other GOG games are DRM'ed?
DRM on GOG

Here's a link to the forum topic. Hope this helps.
Scion458: DRM on GOG

Here's a link to the forum topic. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Bookmarked and will follow.

I appreciate it.
FCK DRM
FCK HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition
FCK LIARS
high rated
Happy 13th anniversary!

I'm glad I joined last year, the fact I can pay with Paypal compared to Steam was a big deal for me, oldies that can run
on my poor's man laptop from 2013 without DRM restrictions too.

You still have a way to go and wishes to fulfill (remember Linux support?) and more. And please stop screwing stuff up, this community is vey passionate about what they believe, don't pull us a Cyberpunk, Hitman or a Devotion situation again, it's a long-term suicide and an embarrassment to the store.
DRM-Free is what this store is about, don't break that premise.
high rated
Happy anniversary GOG. You were a bright light in an increasingly Dark Remote Mountain of corporate arrogance. However 13 is an unlucky number for many cultures, and it increasingly looks like your star may burn out if it continues on its current course.

As for the other discussion, please move the conversation about Hitman to the appropriate thread, or to private messages.
Given this is an anniversary thread, it should surely be appropriate to reflect on the past and speculate on the future. Hitman is a dark stain, but far from unique and those of us with long memories will recall a similar sequence of events playing out in the introduction of regional pricing - initially for Witcher 2 only, then extended to three further games and then GOG's entire catalogue.

Now back then, GOG's M.D. TheEnigmaticT provided copious feedback on why he felt this was necessary - to expand the cause of DRM-free gaming (the initial post states "TheEnigmaticT earlier mentioned that he would eat his hat if we ever brought DRM to GOG.com."). So how about some similar feedback from GOG's current M.D on how and why this situation has arisen?
richlind33: Is GOG still a DRM-free store? Seems to be a question mark at this point.
Aye, that's the question, ain't it?

Gog claims to be DRM-free while some of their actions go in the opposite direction. They should explain or fix this discrepancy right away.
As it stands it looks like Gog stopped being a DRM-free store but it just won't say that because they can't let go of the money from the DRM-free crowd.

Anniversary or not, until Gog solves this I see no reason to celebrate despite some nice games joining the catalog.
We celebrating the first Anniversary of not being a DRM free store? Im not sure im down with this.
high rated
HypersomniacLive: What makes you think that this is a DRM-free gaming celebration? GOG hasn't framed a sale as a DRM-free gaming one in years, and has even dropped the mention of DRM-free from announcements of upcoming/new releases since late November 2020; last time it was mentioned was in the Shenmue III release.
rjbuffchix: Holy hell that is sobering. I haven't seen anyone make that observation and, partially due to being unenthused about spending money here with the current state of things, never noticed in the release threads.

I assure I am not trying to "call out" anyone but since I see SmollestLight is in this topic, is there any way to find out or forward the question: what led to releases apparently not being announced as "DRM-free" anymore?

I don't like to say it but perhaps I misspoke in assuming the anniversary was to celebrate DRM-free gaming? To me, that is the brand association of GOG.com...DRM-free gaming...not Galaxy, not social media, et al.
....and therein lies the rub. You used to be able to assume that what you bought from GOG was DRM free, but now have to wait for reviews to find out how (subjectively) "little DRM there is that doesn't affect gameplay".

Maybe GOG should trademark that and add it to their landing page "Only minimal DRM allowed in the games we sell (superfine print: subject to what we say it minimal and does not affect gameplay/your experience may vary"). Too long? I'm sure it can be shoehorned in there somehow, just like DRM releases have been shoehorned into the DRM-Free platform.
Post edited September 30, 2021 by kblazer883
high rated

Surely where gog was and where gog is now is hugely relevant to an event marking the passage of time and change?

Gog was founded on certain principles (your site's words), it gained loyalty based on those principles and if you shirk them it only makes sense that a lot of people would be upset and feel betrayed, not only by your doing so, but by the callous response to them/us.
Gog built itself up as a trustworthy, gamer-centric store; you heavily pushed the drm free aspect & the whole FckDrm marketing, it's what set you apart & created a strong community that formed the bedrock of this site and had a huge involvement in gog's growth.
Now customers are, quite rightly, calling you out for misselling yourselves, poor communication, outright lies & misinformation which seems to have become an increasing trend in the last few years.

It seems like you're just trying to bury what's clearly a passionate issue in the hopes that you can largely ignore it until it goes away which has been another running theme with all your bad decisions lately.
Post edited September 30, 2021 by serpantino