It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I recently watched Mokalik, a Nigerian movie. In the film a young boy from a middle class family is sent to work in a garage, and the entire film revolves around his experience there. It was a very interesting watch, and culturally enriching too.
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

The plot isn't good enough to me to read the books and Jennifer Lawrence was the reason to watch the trilogy. A prequel out of the books seemed terrible but a family member liked the trilogy and it was a slow Sunday afternoon without anything better to do. The stream started and I got distracted quickly doing something else, I found a excuse to step out to the kitchen for few minutes and when I came back, the TV was turned off. We haven't mentioned anything about the movie since then and I won't change that.
I start to watch House M.D. with Ukrainian translation - voice and text. I want to mention that Ukrainian translation companies do a great job - high-quality translations. Only about 12 years ago there were a lot of channels on TV that almost 24/7 broadcast my favorite movies with russian (low quality, unprofessional, enemy) translation. Nowadays there are about 94% of all channels broadcast movies with complete Ukrainian translation and I must say I love such idea - more Ukrainians will watch movies, TV shows, and other content with Ukrainian translation - more they will start to speak Ukrainian in everyday life!
I want to believe that Ukrainian language will be The First and Main language and English will be the second language in Ukraine.
If someone wants to learn German, French, Korean, or Japanese language - that is awesome, at the same time - the Ukrainian language must be the First and Main language in Ukraine!
POMPEI (2014)

"A slave-turned-gladiator finds himself in a race against time to save his true love, who has been betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. As Mount Vesuvius erupts, he must fight to save his beloved as Pompeii crumbles around him."

Terrible movie. Miscast and generally mediocre acting. Terrible effects. Mundane direction.

But I loved it... again. Yes, I've watched it more than once!
Post edited August 12, 2024 by kai2
King of Fighters. Avoid it. Loose adaptation, bad narrative, bad actors. Maybe more budget? Maybe an animated movie?
Gundam 0079. (1979)

Yes, it's an anime about the horrors of war and what it does to someone. Did you think it was about the cool robot?
I'm about 20 episodes in, and I've just learned one of the big reveals. It explains a lot about the motivations of the main antagonist.

And if a 40+ episode anime is too much for you, I can recommend a 72 episode anime set in Moomin Valley, or more relevantly, 3 OVA movies which covers the same material as the anime.
Valhalla Rising (2009)

I finally managed to watch this (on Rakuten TV, a free streaming service). I've heard good things about the movie but I always tried to watch it so late in the evening that I fell asleep within 10-15 minutes in starting to watch it. I think I tried like 5 times watch it, it is pretty slow to start etc.

Today I watched it on Saturday morning so I could stay awake. :) It was... ok-ish, I guess. Mads Mikkelsen is pretty convincing as the bad-ass protagonist that does not talk.

It doesn't seem the budget was that big, after all 90% of the movie happens in a fog or a dense forest.

This is one of those artsy movies that raises more questions than it tries to answer, which is ok I guess. It is no "Lost Highway" leaving you totally puzzled but still open to your own interpretation, albeit the movie hints a lot what happened and why.

Anyway, it isn't a kind of movie that you want or need to see many times, once is quite enough. It wasn't quite as exciting I was expecting, I guess I had too high expectations. In a way it reminded me a bit of some Lars von Trier darker movies like Antichrist or Melancholia, making you feel uneasy and hopeless. I even had to check it is not directed by Lars.

I give it 2½ stars out of five.
Atreyu666: I have a massive backlog on GoG. Do you really think I have time for movies when there's sooo many games to play? Na-ah :)
Movies take about two hours to watch, and you just need to watch them, not actively do something in them.

Games can take weeks or months to finish.

Hence, movies are much easier to finish than games. I have a big backlog of both, but the game backlog is much bigger, both in the number of items and the time I expect it to take to finish them.
Post edited August 17, 2024 by timppu
timppu: Movies take about two hours to watch, and you just need to watch them, not actively do something in them.

Is it a good point but I need something interactive. Truth is, I don't want to just sit there and do nothing :)
timppu: Movies take about two hours to watch, and you just need to watch them, not actively do something in them.

Atreyu666: Is it a good point but I need something interactive. Truth is, I don't want to just sit there and do nothing :)
If I am too mentally exhausted to play games, watching movies is a good alternative.

Unfortunately I may be so exhausted that I normally fall asleep while watching them, like repeatedly happened with Valhalla Rising...
Post edited August 17, 2024 by timppu
Atreyu666: Is it a good point but I need something interactive. Truth is, I don't want to just sit there and do nothing :)
timppu: If I am too mentally exhausted to play games, watching movies is a good alternative.
This is why I advocate for open-world games. They're challenging to engage as you progress in the story, but all that explorable terrain is good relaxation.
timppu: If I am too mentally exhausted to play games, watching movies is a good alternative.
I have some health issues, too. And games distract me from them, at least a litte. I can't just sit still for a longer time span.
Atreyu666: I have some health issues, too. And games distract me from them, at least a litte. I can't just sit still for a longer time span.
Get a desk you can elevate so you can play games standing up.

They should set up cinemas where people stand and not sit in plushy comfy chairs, just so that people stay awake during their boring movies.
dnovraD: Gundam 0079. (1979)

Yes, it's an anime about the horrors of war and what it does to someone. Did you think it was about the cool robot?
I'm about 20 episodes in, and I've just learned one of the big reveals. It explains a lot about the motivations of the main antagonist.

And if a 40+ episode anime is too much for you, I can recommend a 72 episode anime set in Moomin Valley, or more relevantly, 3 OVA movies which covers the same material as the anime.
You refer to Fang of the Sun Dougram?
u2jedi: You refer to Fang of the Sun Dougram?
...No? I meant the literal Gundam movies. But since that post was made, I've finished the entire 43 episode run of Gundam. Overall, that rocked.
u2jedi: You refer to Fang of the Sun Dougram?
dnovraD: ...No? I meant the literal Gundam movies. But since that post was made, I've finished the entire 43 episode run of Gundam. Overall, that rocked.
Ah you should check out Fang of the Sun Dougram next. It's about 75 episodes long. Also made by Sunrise. Follow that up with Armored Trooper VOTOMS.