It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cause there's no business like show-business!

Our DRM-Free approach to digital distribution has been the foundation of GOG.com since day one and we're convinced it is now firmly rooted in the gaming industry landscape. More and more users start to expect and demand the digital content they paid for to be free from any kind of restrictive mechanisms that limit access to their collections and get in the way of enjoyment. We think this is a good time to take the next step in our quest to make digital entertainment better for everyone. Today we set out to spread our DRM-Free ideas across the movie industry! That's right: GOG.com now offers DRM-Free movies.

Our goal is to offer you cinema classics as well as some all-time favorite TV series with no DRM whatsoever, for you to download and keep on your hard drive or stream online whenever you feel like it. We talked to most of the big players in the movie industry and we often got a similar answer: "We love your ideas, but … we do not want to be the first ones. We will gladly follow, but until somebody else does it first, we do not want to take the risk". DRM-Free distribution is not a concept their lawyers would accept without hesitation. We kind of felt that would be the case and that it's gonna take patience and time to do it, to do it, to do it right. That's quite a journey ahead of us, but every gamer knows very well that great adventures start with one small step. So why not start with something that feels very familiar? We offer you a number of gaming and internet culture documentaries - all of them DRM-Free, very reasonably priced, and presenting some fascinating insight into topics close to a gamer's heart. Now, what do we have in store for you?

- There's a whole new Movie Catalog for you to browse!
- All the movies we sell are priced at $5.99 (that's a launch promo price for a few of them), and we aim to have that as the main price point for most of our future releases
- Two of the movies - The Art of Playing and TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away From Keyboard are available for FREE, so that you can test our new movie distribution features
- Most of our movies are in Full HD 1080p quality, some in 720p. With those of you with limited bandwidth or download quota in mind, we also supply much lighter 576p versions.
- Apart from downloading your movies you have the option to watch them streaming online, right here on GOG.com
- GOG.com is famous for its bonus goodies - each movie will come with as many of them as we can muster
- You can expect subsequent movie releases each week

That's it. GOG.com Movies is a go, time to get some popcorn!
This Criterion thing is interesting. If it wouldn't have been mentioned here I would never know about that site. I think its a good idea now after seing what they have in their catalog.

Edit: The only problem I see there is that Criterion has very high prices so I am not sure how would that work with gog.
Post edited September 04, 2014 by Matruchus
Since the catalogue so far focuses mostly on documentaries, I very much recommend them trying to get their hands on the works of British filmmaker Peter Watkins. He's one of the most innovative, exciting and uncompromising (not to mention overlooked and marginalized) people working in (and against) the medium.

Seriously, the second one of his films gets put up, I'll buy it. Gladly at full price! I would support any label/platform that gives people the chance to see this man's criminally underseen work some exposure.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by fronzelneekburm
Just another supporter for Criterion Collection on GoG! With their recent collaboration with Hulu I could see the guys on Criterion being open to working with GoG. Unfortunately, I don't think Criterion have worldwide sales rights for any of the movies so that will be a lovely quagmire for the GoG elves to bury into. Good hunting!
Post edited September 03, 2014 by Oisin
A partnership would provide GOG with classic world cinema that would legitimize its video service in the eyes of film buffs while allowing The Criterion Collection, a company that currently only serves North America, to expand internationally. Win-win.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by Barry_Woodward
rodrolliv: I suddenly remembered another short film from a Channel Awesome producer

http://blip.tv/welshy/dark-side-of-the-internet-6624108

"But if that's already there, why sell it here?" The creator, Welshy, recently mentioned that Blip has plans to shut down several channels, including his, so he won't do new stuff in the future. It could be good to distribute it here once Welshy's channel is removed. The film is part of The Uncanny Valley compilation from Channel Awesome, so probably both parties have to be contacted.

edit: also Channel Awesome related (I'm a big fan of and [url=http://chezapocalypse.com/]Chez Apocalyse, in case you didn't notice :P), what about Tommy Wiseau's The Room? No kidding here, the movie ihas got cult-following, and Greg Sestero's book about its filmation is going to be adapted by James Franco.
As mentioned earlier, Welshy's channel is gone and the video is no longer accesible.
I think gog should bring the Iron Sky movie (dictatorship edition) here since its made by indie developers and its a funny crazy parody movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

Movie website: http://www.ironsky.net/site/

They have already started works on Iron Sky 2. Let the mars Soviets come :)

Voting link: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/movies/iron_sky

Youtube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_PWsJqsVY

Also Laibach music pack from the movie would be awsome to buy here.

Also Star Wreck: Into the Pirkening sci fi parody movie would also be nice here. The basic edition is actually available free from the same developers as for Iron Sky since it was their first movie ever so gog could just host it here.
Post edited September 06, 2014 by Matruchus
How about releasing GameCenter CX here? That's a pretty cool show.
TheFrenchMonk: Hi guys,

We've been reading all your comments and I'd like to reply to 3 key questions that have been regularly coming up for the last few days :)

1. Why did GOG decide to launch DRM-free video content?

Releasing video content on GOG is something we always wanted to do, because we are not only games freaks, but we also love watching tons of movies and TV-series. Our initial intent was to give a 2nd youth to classic movies and tv-series. X-Files, Mac Gyver, Star Trek, wouldn'it it be cool to have them all in a digital curated collection of yours? 100% DRM-free, with the possibility to watch them anywhere, anytime, on any device you own? We'd love that. Exactly like we used to collect and enjoy DVDs, but with nowadays' digital convenience (no need to have a heavy massive shelf in your living room :)

(snip)

Best DRM-free wishes,

Guillaume and everybody at GOG.
Won't it be easier to release DRM free books or comic first?

Yes you plan to get the StarTrek movies but it still eluded you and Humble bundle is offering Start Trek comics
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

You need interesting titles to get more people buying DRM free movies

To get interesting titles you need to show some good sales figurer to Movie IP holders

It become a dead cycle, hard to complete the cycle.
The only way I can see it work is you buy the distribution rights of certain interesting movies and sell it at GOG. Then when the GoGers see such must have titles, they will buy it and you have sales figure to show to other Movie IP holder, then the positive cycle continues.

However be warn, the risk is high, you may want to do a community vote on what title will community will buy if it comes to GOG. Only when tens of thousands (or more, I am no market analysis) people say yes that you may want to take the risk.

Be warned, it may be like
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects
where many people just vote but fail to put their money in it. Of course they may be other reason like square does not have the best reputation and people adversion to Publisher exploiting crowdfunding
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/publisher_tries_to_take_advantage_of_crowdfunding

The risk is high
Post edited September 06, 2014 by Gnostic
Gnostic: Won't it be easier to release DRM free books or comic first?
TheFrenchMonk: (no need to have a heavy massive shelf in your living room :)
But I like my heavy massive shelf! ;)
Attachments:
shelf.jpg (198 Kb)
fronzelneekburm: But I like my heavy massive shelf! ;)
Seriously is that for real ?
Matruchus: Seriously is that for real ?
Yup. Say what you will about analogue, but my I've had my VCR since 1998 and it still plays perfectly. Those things were built to last! Nowadays, you buy a new hard drive to store your stuff on and you'll be glad if the thing breaks before the 12-month warranty is up (because it sure as shit will become unreadable within weeks afterwards).
Matruchus: Seriously is that for real ?
fronzelneekburm: Yup. Say what you will about analogue, but my I've had my VCR since 1998 and it still plays perfectly. Those things were built to last! Nowadays, you buy a new hard drive to store your stuff on and you'll be glad if the thing breaks before the 12-month warranty is up (because it sure as shit will become unreadable within weeks afterwards).
Yeah videokasetes were better for longevity that's for sure. I still have some old kasettes with movies and they work perfectly were as dvds are usually dead very fast and obviously the prices for kasettes were several times lower as they are for movies today. Hard drives are the same I had one new WD die on me after 1/2 year use. Anyway nice collection you have.
Post edited September 06, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Anyway nice collection you have.
Thanks! :)
Yeah, physical stuff rules! It only becomes annoying to sort yout collection when it reaches +1.000 titles (for tv series, it's obvious but sorting films can be problematic). BTW, handmade shelves or some Ikea-like?